Weight Loss Support Thread

• Please log in to reply
1657 replies to this topic

#76 76 others

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:37 PM

View PostERipley, on 09 May 2019 - 08:42 PM, said:

You’re all very good to only eat when you’re hungry! That’s my problem. I will just shovel food in there.

That so my problem. It doesn't help being at a desk all day. I usually just munch. I was out of the office running around until about 1 today and it kept my. Mind occupied.

I've come in at 1425 today and my goal is 1500.i didn't feel hungry either. Weetbix, skim lactose free milk and banana for breakfast. Subway steak and cheese salad bowl (got back to work and she forgot my cheese grrrrrrr). A nut bar for afternoon snack and fajitas for dinner which was my biggest calorie amount because I had the tortilla. And a glass of coke with dinner.

#77 Beancat

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:46 PM

I was going well tonight.....until I opened a bottle of wine:( I needed some help to pay $1500 worth of bills. Jeez it would be nice to have a fortnight with no bills. Utilities and kids activities kill me

#78 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:06 AM

I pay a lot of my utilities off fortnightly.  Rates being the big one.  I started when I was sitting there thinking our account was really healthy only to discover I hadn’t paid the rates and some other bills.

Down again this morning.  Yes I know it’s bad to weigh daily.  It’s probably worse to weigh at night as well.

I told dh last night what I’m up to.  I needed to explain so that we can work around Mother’s Day.  Which, incidentally I’m getting the best present ever.  We are taking the kids for their flu and HepA  shots and DH is taking them in.

#79 Rainyeyes

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:20 AM

I weigh myself daily as well, for me it helps to log it and see the trend so those weeks when its seems like it is going up I know why eg ovulation

I am doing well and it is trending down nicely. I have found that this time as my reason for not eating crap if more for health reasons I am just not tempted to consume it at all so I am finding it fairly easy. Coke was my biggest hurdle and now I can look it and rather than think this will stop my weight loss progress to this is like to cause me pain means it has lost all its appeal. I am annoyed at myself that I let it get to that point though but I can't change the past only keep trying to do better  today

#80 ERipley

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

I managed not to eat my spare calories last night. Then I had a really bad night with the twins both sick and keeping me awake all night, then my son was grumpy and made us late for school, so now I’m miserable and exhausted today. There was an Easter egg wrapper sitting on the stairs. I don’t know where it came from but I almost went on a furious search for chocolate. I’ve decided instead to eat well again today and blow it all on take away and wine tonight. My kids are going to be exhausted and grumpy by dinner time so I don’t  need the added stress of trying to cook while they’re all screaming to be picked up and fighting with each other.  

Even as I’m typing this I’m thinking I could actually just go to the shop and get ingredients to make our own burgers and chips, but yeah, no.

#81 Caribou

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:31 AM

I weigh daily too like rainyeyes shows me my trend is down even if it bounces up and down.

ERipley I hope the kids are better today. I think the wine and takeaway is a good idea too. It’s ok to enjoy takeaway. It’s just about not doing it every day. :) I wouldn’t call it a cheat meal either. We’re getting Indian tonight for my birthday. I wanted Outback Steakhouse and the Alice springs chicken but the idea of cheese loaded chicken and bacon isn’t as appleaing as it used to be? Along with a margarita. Especially not with a toddler who doesn’t like eating out! Rather get takeaway wine and enjoy the food in peace without the toddler screaming the restaurant down

#82 Caribou

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:35 AM

I got the latest Apple Watch today (happy birthday me!) hoping this will improve fitness tracking especially with a pram. I usually have to put it in outdoor walk mode to register I’m walking  but it drains the battery so fast I can’t clock my walks all day. Hoping the longer battery life fixes that! If not, well, I got a new watch :D

#83 76 others

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:45 AM

I find my Samsung watch helps and is making me very aware of what I'm doing. I can't reach 10,000 steps though. Yesterday I got 7500 and that was with an energetic half hour walk after work.damn sitting at a desk all day.
It does tell me to move though so I do the stretches at my desk when it tells me to.

#84 ERipley

Posted 10 May 2019 - 11:00 AM

Oh happy birthday, Caribou! Sounds like a nice evening you have planned. I hear you about toddlers. I’m trying so hard to train them to even eat junk do one days we can at least go out for pizza and chips, but they like to sit ON the table to eat so I can’t see that happening any time soon.

I’ve noticed such a strong correlation between lack of sleep and feeling depressed. I don’t know how we all slog it out for these early childhood years. It’s good to be aware of though as these low energy sad days are the ones I throw it all out the window. Not today! At least I will have achieved something.

#85 mayahlb

Posted 10 May 2019 - 11:42 AM

76others - I have a garmin. Similar issue so you know what? I set my step count to 7500, because that is being realistic and I had to feel some achievement. (Also desk job). I swear the garmin when I got it was so much harder to reach the 10K steps then when I had a fitbit. Some watches are more sensitive then others so you get "false steps"

ERipley - lack of sleep sucks. It's nice you have found the link so maybe you can see it in a more proactive way.

I ate chocolate last night, then slept like crap because I couldn't turn the brain off. Jumped on the scales this morning. Still the same... meh it doesn't bother me, I'm eating better and more importantly I'm getting some exercise every day even if I'm currently sore (but in a good way).

#86 Kallie88

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:28 PM

Happy birthday caribou, hope you have a lovely day.

I had a slightly better night last night so have to sweep and mop today, that counts for exercise right? Lol. Trying to decide what to have for lunch today, soup tonight so that's going to be yum!

#87 76 others

Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:09 PM

Happy birthday caribou.

#88 ERipley

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:37 PM

View Postmayahlb, on 10 May 2019 - 11:42 AM, said:

76others - I have a garmin. Similar issue so you know what? I set my step count to 7500, because that is being realistic and I had to feel some achievement. (Also desk job). I swear the garmin when I got it was so much harder to reach the 10K steps then when I had a fitbit. Some watches are more sensitive then others so you get "false steps"

ERipley - lack of sleep sucks. It's nice you have found the link so maybe you can see it in a more proactive way.

I ate chocolate last night, then slept like crap because I couldn't turn the brain off. Jumped on the scales this morning. Still the same... meh it doesn't bother me, I'm eating better and more importantly I'm getting some exercise every day even if I'm currently sore (but in a good way).

I weighed the same today so I leant back slightly when I was standing on the scales and magically dropped 0.1kg. I recorded the lower number...

Woohoo! I reached my first weight loss milestone today!

#89 mayahlb

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:59 PM

Working Fridays here is sooooo bad for any diet or health eating plan. We always have this big morning tea. I don't even know how to input what I ate into MFP, though I tried really hard to not eat too much. (Next week I plan to blow it completely out, but hey its my birthday and will involve white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake with a gingernut crumb...)

I think I am going to have to balance it with a salad and miso soup for dinner.

#90 Odd-1-Out

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:45 PM

View PostCaribou, on 10 May 2019 - 10:31 AM, said:

I weigh daily too like rainyeyes shows me my trend is down even if it bounces up and down.

ERipley I hope the kids are better today. I think the wine and takeaway is a good idea too. It’s ok to enjoy takeaway. It’s just about not doing it every day. :) I wouldn’t call it a cheat meal either. We’re getting Indian tonight for my birthday. I wanted Outback Steakhouse and the Alice springs chicken but the idea of cheese loaded chicken and bacon isn’t as appleaing as it used to be? Along with a margarita. Especially not with a toddler who doesn’t like eating out! Rather get takeaway wine and enjoy the food in peace without the toddler screaming the restaurant down

Happy Birthday!

#91 mayahlb

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:53 PM

Ooh i missed it was your birthday, Happy Birthday Caribou! Hope today has been lovely for you and all the little people well behaved.

#92 Rainyeyes

Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:34 PM

Happy Birthday Caribou :)

#93 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:50 PM

View PostKallie88, on 08 May 2019 - 06:18 PM, said:

Anyway, enough whinging.
Goals: get up by 9am, in bed by 10pm from now on.
Track food with bitesnap (app I found that basically gives you a visual food diary, I think that will help me be accountable and really see what I'm eating not just kid myself about that Easter egg or that can of coke)
Exercise: do something, anything, every day
And, get DH to help me get my starting measurements

Good luck everyone, let's do this!

Is that App on apple or android?  I couldn’t find it in the App Store

#94 Kallie88

Posted 10 May 2019 - 05:37 PM

View PostWTFJerk, on 10 May 2019 - 04:50 PM, said:

Is that App on apple or android?  I couldn’t find it in the App Store

Android, it's a white picture with a piece of toast that's had a bite taken out of it lol. I'm pretty sure I searched photo food diary to find it. Its pretty american when you input stuff, but does the job

#95 76 others

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:35 PM

I may be tipsy but I'm still in my calorie zone haha.

Pitiful step amount which I'm not going to announce.

Weetbix, skim lactose free. Milk and a banana.

Leftover souvlaki wrap from dinner last night witb light sour cream and no cheese. Lamb, lettuce and lots of capsicum and onion mmmmm.

Omelette with mushroom, shallots, ham, tomato, spinach and little bit of cheese for dinner.

And about 5 bourbons with coke zero. Stressful week. I usually love Jim beam cans (bogan I know don't judge me but I hate the taste if the zero cans) So old fashioned bottle of beam and coke zero it is. Still in my calorie zone.

#96 Odd-1-Out

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:33 PM

How many calories in Beam?

#97 76 others

Posted 11 May 2019 - 12:09 AM

Apparently 100 a shot and 2 calories in the zero coke and I would've had less than the amount for the zero coke.

#98 MommyMichelle

Posted 11 May 2019 - 03:48 AM

Congrats on the 8 kilos, getting started is always the hardest part, especially for me. I am definitely in for a support group as I tend to lose motivation quite quickly. I'm currently participating in the Xtend Barre program from Openfit and I've already lost 10 kilos in 2 and a half weeks: https://www.openfit.com/p/xtend-barre

Xtend Barre workouts are a mix of ballet, Pilates, yoga, and strength training designed to help you tone your body and get in shape while increasing flexibility at the same time. The workouts take only 30 minutes so I have plenty of time to fit them into my busy schedule. I usually try to do them in the morning, but sometimes I don't get the chance until the kids are asleep.

#99 Caribou

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:19 AM

thank you all for the happy birthdays!

I got a terrible cold by the days end with a migraine. Woke up now with a head cold. Blergh.  upside, I'm hiding in bed while DH entertains the kids. I clearly need to get sick more often. :p

I didn't do too bad with food yesterday, didn't have any snacks, only breakfast, lunch and dinner and two coffees plus several glasses of water and 1 glass of wine. Dinner probably blew out the calorie limit, I didn't even know where to begin on counting calories there,  I got indian takeaway, I looked up butter chicken slow cooked and that was a whooping 650 calories per serve, So I wouldn't be too surprised if that is what stopped the scales going down today! I was out all day, and busy so I didn't feel the need to eat being occupied. :)

My weight seems to be in a holding pattern at the moment at 79-79,5 kilos. Ovulation just kicked in so I think now It's going to be a week before I see a drop in the scales (providing I don't go too crazy on food this week!)

Does anyone have any of those fancy w**ky scales where it does terribly inaccurate body composition measurements? While I'm fully aware not to trust them, I like them because if my weight is not budging, I can see whether my fat mass or muscle mass is up or down. my fat mass has been going down steadily. At the start of weight loss I had (apparently) 37kilos of fat mass. I'm down to 31 kilos of fat mass. which apparently means the % of fat on me is 40% and apparently it should be around 30% for me.

ERipley, yes, If I sleep badly especially consistently, I'm crankier, moodier, and unhappier. I tend to lean towards high fats or sugar foods to keep me going. I almost have a autoplay mantra in my head when it happens saying 'I DESERVE THIS< I HAD A BAD NIGHT OK? PLUS ITS JUST ONE DAY, WHAT IS ONE DAY GOING TO DO??"

Not much if its one day, but if it's several one days in a row... well, yea. I'm much better now though, a lot of it was really needing to have a better headspace to lose weight and not lean towards comfort food so frequently. I know when DH goes away, I always say 'I'm going to be so good with food,' and then I freak out about being alone with two kids, head to the shops for junk food. We don't have junk food in the house, this is for my willpower!! :lol: my reason being, if i want that junk food so bad, I have to walk 1km up hill for it with 2 kids in tow just to make up for purchasing it.

plus it gets the kids out of the house and I stop by the park and by the time we're done, I often don't really want or need the junk food, unless they're little ferals when we get home a few hours later. :)

#100 mayahlb

Posted 11 May 2019 - 01:32 PM

Caribou what about body measurements? When I was running a lot before my health decided to play up that was much more accurate in seeing if I was losing weight then the scales. I could be the exact same weight but have lost 2cm around my waist or hips.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Baa baa

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.