Weight Loss Support Thread

• Please log in to reply
1662 replies to this topic

#1551 WaitForMe

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:54 PM

Ok I'm back.

The nicer weather is helping my motivation, and I'm hoping that motivation will stick around longer term this time around and I see some improvements.

My workplace is really making it hard. Lots of really unhealthy food around and lots of people shoving it in my face constantly. And at home I have my kids constantly begging for treats.

On a positive note, we've been going on a family bike ride on the weekend, stopping at one of those council outdoor gyms for some resistance work. I'm also planning on getting back to riding to work, starting tomorrow.

#1552 #YKG

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:06 PM

This might be unpopular, but keto diets can be dangerous for some. If you have kidney issues, fatty liver or diabetes, the production of increased ketones can actually do a lot of harm.

I know for me my body reacts better to some carbs than others. The carbs that work well for my body is sweet potato, white potato, rice & pasta. The carbs that my body doesn’t do so well with is bread, all bread regardless of type.

At the moment my nutrition is a balance between carbs, protein & healthy fats. I keep carb heavy meals to weight training days. I find it helps fuel me for those heavy lifting days. Cardio days I bring down my carbs and increase my protein & fats as it’s what fuels my body best for cardio.

Sometimes you just need to find the balance that works best for your body, it can take a few weeks of trial and error.

#1553 mayahlb

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:38 PM

No carbs make me feel as sick as a dog. In moderation they are fine. I don’t think extreme diets are good though and like YKG I’m probably wouldn’t be popular in my view keto is on the extreme end.

#1554 Pocket...

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:27 AM

I don't go full keto, far too complicated for me tbh. I do cut out bulk/processed carbs though. Rice, pasta, bread, treat type foods, potato. I find when I eat those types of carbs I get hungry and crave those types of carbs. If i go without them for a week or two I'm less hungry, and don't crave food so I don't end up eating the stuff I don't need. I also find I feel better and have more energy.

I don't show any signs of insulin issues, but I'm guessing it's  related to how my body processes what I put in it. I know others who need to eat in a very different way.

#1555 Caribou

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:44 AM

still on 72.3kg but It's great because it hasn't gone back up.

Been keeping up movement trying to ensure I clock least 10km and 10,000 steps. I'll admit though, avoiding food until lunchtime and sticking to tea or coffee or water in the meantime is doing wonders really. I'm not hungry and it's manageable. Just so long as I keep up liquids.

This weekend will be hard it's a lot of fixtures shopping. Hopefully I don't go too crazy with stress eating.

7 weeks until the school holidays for me which is going to be hard. Because I'm sure that's where everything will fall apart.

I'll try and not to fall into that trap of overeating. While I want to ensure all the Christmas foods, I also don't want to go crazy either you know? A lot of people take offence when you don't eat enough of their food, but eat too much comments are made about getting fat. So can't win can you??

I'll be hosting again so I should be able to control better what's being dished out.

As for Keto I avoid it because it's unsustainable for me. IF seems better long term, because from time to time, I can do breakfast and it won't be the end of the world. I can adjust foods through out the day and it will be ok. I love carbs, but I do avoid going crazy on bread. I find it makes me more hungry. Pasta is ok, so long as It's made from something like peas or chickpeas. full on pasta though, I cant do.

When I do reach my goal weight, the hardest part I know, is going to be is  keeping it there. I can go back to eating as I please. I will need to continue to ensure my eating is sustainable long term.

Great work on everyone for continuing!

#1556 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:56 PM

I am a big fan of keto. It’s by far the most successful way for me to lose weight, and has really helped my mental clarity and alertness, especially in the afternoons when I would usually hit a 3pm slump.

I don’t eat more meat or fat than I usually would, I just substitute high carb things for low carb (or avoid them). Ie last night we had an Indian curry made the same way we usually would, and ate it with cauliflower rice instead of basmati. Low carb, lots of fiber and very satisfying.

I’ve lost 13kg since the end of July. I’m sure if I went back to the way I had previously been eating I would regain that weight, but that would be true no matter how I lost the weight. I will stay low carb after I have reached goal, and try to find the sweet spot that allows me to maintain the loss.

#1557 ~Jam~

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:19 PM

wrong thread

Edited by ~Jam~, 16 October 2019 - 02:27 PM.

#1558 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:10 PM

I lost 20 kilos on a keto diet and when I went back to a more conventional diet, I did not regain.

#1559 Sancti-claws

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:24 PM

I think the root cause of my backslide this week is the cooking that I did for the fete this weekend - and the offcuts in my fridge...

#1560 babyblinky

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:18 AM

Hi All

I am back on the wagon, I didn't just fall off the wagon, I got run over by the entire wagon train and dragged backwards through a cactus.

My scales said 66.7 this morning which is a good place to be as I have been trying to maintain for the last month.

My maintenance month did reveal some really bad eating habits I have when I am eating "normally".  IT was really eye opening to look at what I am eating when I am not watching what  I am eating.  My drop in alcohol and moving to black coffees is what saved me from a gain here.

I am still determined to make my goal weight of 60kgs by Christmas so I am going to be really focused on moving and eating well.

DH has gone on a business trip to NZ so I am already on the backfoot...sigh.

well done to everyones losses and those who keep trying even when it is hard

#1561 Maree83

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:37 AM

@ Odd-1-Out...great work on losing 46 kilos! That's amazing!
It's good to see everyone's opinion on the keto diet.  I will modify it to suit me, but it appeals because I am very reliant on carbs and think I need to have more variety in my diet.  I want to break the cycle if you know what I mean?
Even in the last couple of days,  I have noticed a shift in weight,  I am getting more positive results just by cutting back on carbs, and by making sure my last meal is no later than 6 or 6.30, no night time snacking.

#1562 mayahlb

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:43 AM

babyblinky - well done on staying stable and recognizing what habits are causing problems.

that's good news Maree, I think discovering what is causing problems is often the key more then actual diets. And part of changing things up is recognizing what's causing something.

I need new scales. Also the heat is really impacting me and fluid retention. I've apparently put on 2kg since yesterday, but I can see my ankles and wrists. I need to drink more water and get more exercise, sigh.

#1563 eigne

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:56 PM

88.3 kg this morning! I’m down exactly 13 kg 🥳🥳🥳
If I can get below 87.5 kg that would be the lightest in over 5 years.

#1564 Odd-1-Out

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:02 PM

Good news!

When I was pregnant I had gestational diabetes. 3 years later and now at a healthy weight, I got my GTT results back and I passed! 4.3 fasting glucose and 4.4 2 hours after the glucose drink. Im so glad weight loss, healthier eating and exercise are paying off. Now I just have to keep it up 🙂

#1565 mayahlb

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:37 AM

That's fantastic news odd1out!

Well done eigne!

Urg I'm still a kg up :(

But I tried on some new clothes the other day and I am down a size or half a size depending on brand of course. I actually didn't end up buying anything as the fit was wrong (the dress was obviously designed for tall people, not short curvy people). And someone asked today if I had lost weight. So I guess that makes me a bit happier, especially as older clothes are fitting better. I'm going to make a new skirt of two on the weekend because my wardrobe has shrunk (I donated all my smaller stuff about a year ago because it didn't seem like I could lose weight no matter what I did).

Also scales have obviously changed since last time I bought some. It seems every other scale I was looking at was bluetooth capable and fed into an app.

#1566 Caribou

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:37 AM

Well done Engine! Superb news! :D

Mayahib -You can get non-digital scales, but yea, most of them feed into an app these days.

I do like the Withings/Nokia one. It also does trending in there as well and I can see over the last 3 years where my weight has been going. I've had the scales for about 3 years now. They're great. It did cost me a couple hundred, but it's lasting well. But yay! If your clothes feel better that's awesome you're on the right track!

My clothes are looser, but the scales remain at 72. I'm persisting with IF and that's working well. If anything I feel much better for it too.

Still angling out for 71 by the end of October, I've got 2 weeks. We'll see how we go!

I got a beach holiday coming up over the summer and I think it's the first time I'm actually happy with the way I look. I'm at the same weight I was in high school and I don't mind the look any more. I know I'd look better with another 10kgs gone, but still, It's the best I've looked in a decade.

#1567 mayahlb

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:50 AM

Mine are digital, they just don't do anything but, well display your weight :lol:

I was thinking of getting these ones. Not hugely expensive or anything but allows you to track various things. https://www.catch.co...sp=13&asp=&aqi=

I want to be 59-60 by 15th December, as that's when I am off on our Christmas holiday and seeing all the family etc. Of course, I rarely eat much for Christmas at my in-laws anyway because they eat a completely different style of food (turkey, pork, fish/seafood), most of which neither I or the kids would eat. Which is always fun...

#1568 #YKG

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:19 PM

Feel like I need a little advice or thoughts.

I’ve really struggled this year with fitness, weight loss etc and was trying to figure out what has been different. When I looked back, last year I ran 10 registered 5km races. The first was run for the kids and finished with Melbourne Mara weekend. I was focused and achieved it last year. So I’m thinking of going back to that again, but I want to see if I can do at least one 10km race.
Am I crazy? I have not really run more than once a fortnight lately and if have to start training now to be able to do it safely. What do you guys think?

#1569 Caribou

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:03 PM

I think that sounds like a great idea, YKG. I’d use C25k to get yourself up to the level you need. I don’t think it’s crazy at all. There’s more to it than just getting fit. You may find yourself happier for it from all the endorphins. I want to run but my treadmill is blocked :(

#1570 Odd-1-Out

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:06 PM

YKG I think it is a great idea. You really inspire me, I still cant even run yet!

#1571 eigne

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:13 PM

Having a fitness goal is a great idea. Go for it!

I have had a really fun weekend off the wagon, full of all the bad and tasty things. I’m going to try not to weigh myself in the morning as I really don’t want to know!

#1572 #YKG

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:23 PM

Thanks guys, I’ve gotta sort out my training schedule and see where I can slot in some runs and be consistent with it.

Caribou I’ve downloaded C210k. I’ve done C25K and can do 5km runs comfortably. I’m not fast but I tend to improve the more I run.

Aww thanks odd 1 out. When I first started doing registered runs I was always the biggest one running, I think my first race I was 128kg, by the end I sat around 115kg. I’m starting heavier then my last race but I’ll get down, just need to make sure nutrition is good and all my workouts are consistent and should steadily drop weight. I think my first road run will be run for the kids. I think I’ll do a couple of the virtual run Disney races as well.

#1573 Sancti-claws

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:52 PM

I do not run - knees, boobs and pelvic floor all conspire me to reduce to a fast walk should ever I attempt it - so I am of no assistance whatsoever, YKG.

I know that Parkrun is a huge thing here - it means I avoid going for my walk in that direction on Saturday mornings!

I am stuck on 77, but it is better than being stuck on 80 and reminding myself that it is 17 below where I began.

Because of trifling things, my fast days this week will be days that I don't normally fast, so will see how we go.

#1574 Catzilla

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:39 AM

Down 150g this week to 75.45kg. Slowly but surely heading in the right direction. With any luck I could be into the 74s some time in November.

#1575 WaitForMe

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:04 PM

Finally, my scales are budging!

6 weeks of nothing and now this week, I'm down 400g. I never weigh myself on the weekend just to give myself a break, but it does mean Monday mornings I'll be holding my breath when I step on those scales. So relieved to see a decent drop.

And mentally, its been a really tough week, with work stress and kids interrupting sleep.

This morning (non work day), I dusted off the jogging pram, and ran/walked (mostly walked) DD1 to school, then did a big loop stopping at an outdoor gym (and playground for DD2). 6km in all. I'm going to try and make this a Monday routine.

I failed to cycle to work all last week, and logistically tomorrow is the only day I can do it this week. It all depends on sleep though, I just can't motivate myself when I'm not getting enough sleep.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.