c25K running

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Caribou

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:16 PM

So I've been doing C25K on and off for many years but never really got past 4 weeks. Well, just hit 5 weeks and 2 days and freaking out about 8 min run, and then on the day 3 it wants me to run 20 minutes flat? I was just at my limit running for 5 minutes!! and yes, I even dropped my km per hour run to a light jog to make it more sustainable. any slower i will be fast walking. I currently jog at 7-7.5km per hour. walking at 5km per hour. Using the treadmill.

Anyone manage to complete the C25K?

#2 MooGuru

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:27 PM

I could've written your post a few years back. I absolutely LOVED the first month or so then I think when it upped past 5 minutes I freaked out and stopped.

#3 MissMilla

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:30 PM

7-7.5 is not so bad for running.
When i started i used to run at 6kmh. Now i walk at 6.5 to warm up on the treadmill.
From 8mins to 20 is quite a big step though, maybe try it in smaller steps of 10-15-20mins?

#4 Caribou

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:36 PM

when i was doing the short bursts of runs of 90 seconds and 3 minutes I could very easily sustain 8km per hour. but 5mins requires me to be much slower.

I might need to repeatedly do Week 5 and 2 days at the 8 min until I can manage to run without feeling like I will pass out from lack of oxygen after 8 minutes!

Edited by Caribou, 05 May 2019 - 05:41 PM.

#5 Thursday

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:51 PM

Oh yes, that 20 minutes seemed impossible! I didn't have a treadmill or gym membership so I drove to a town nearby where there is a largish shopping centre with a path all around the outside - flat, busy enough to be safe but not crowded, unlikely to be anyone there I knew. I did loops and stopped back at the car to top up on water at one point.

I would advise you to take it slowly and find a pace that you can keep up for longer, but I may not be the best for advice - years on, I can run for a lot more than 20 minutes now but I am SO slow.

Is there a park run near you? If so, it could be a good way to get some extra encouragement and motivation.

#6 Caribou

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:57 PM

Unfortunately not. I’m in an unwillingly symbiotic relationship with my DS. (He hardly leaves my side!) I’ve been running on treadmill when he’s asleep at night or in pram while I use the treadmill. There’s not enough flat space here. Everything is on an incline. You’re right I will
Have to build up to it. Just means the program isn’t going to finish at 8 weeks like it claims.

#7 Froyo

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:01 PM

I don't think I ever went past week 4. In the end I did run/ walk intervals based on how I was feeling. It didn't stop me from eventually completing a half marathon! TBH I found the app discouraging past the week 4 mark.

#8 Caribou

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:05 PM

Froyo thank you for sharing your expirence!
I think you’re right past 5 weeks looks really discouraging, especially when you have to leap to 20 mins of running. Maybe I need to find a new running app?

#9 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:06 PM

I added in intervals instead, I use 'Jeffing' of 60/30 ATM while training for a half.

#10 Thursday

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:13 PM

Someone on the running thread last year swore by "jeffing", timed intervals of running and walking, which was faster and more sustainable for them than maintaining a steady jog. If you're going at a good pace for the running sections and getting health benefits from it, I don't know if there is much reason to shake it up too much.

#11 born.a.girl

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:14 PM

View PostCaribou, on 05 May 2019 - 05:57 PM, said:

Unfortunately not. I’m in an unwillingly symbiotic relationship with my DS. (He hardly leaves my side!) I’ve been running on treadmill when he’s asleep at night or in pram while I use the treadmill. There’s not enough flat space here. Everything is on an incline. You’re right I will
Have to build up to it. Just means the program isn’t going to finish at 8 weeks like it claims.

Ah, running on a treadmill.  Torture.   The difference in running out in the open (which I appreciate you can't do) is really amazing.

'I just need to run to this corner ....'

'Not far now and I hit the half way mark ...'

Running on the street, and running on a treadmill are worlds apart in terms of how you cope with it.   I'm bored after a minute on the treadmill.  Boredom has a lot to do with motivation (and I mean in the sense of struggling through it).

It doesn't matter how long it takes you to get there, the important thing is that you eventually get to the finish line and are able to maintain it.

#12 Caribou

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:23 PM

I’m still struggling to understand ‘jeffing’ :lol:

#13 Froyo

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:00 PM

View PostCaribou, on 05 May 2019 - 06:05 PM, said:

Froyo thank you for sharing your expirence!
I think you’re right past 5 weeks looks really discouraging, especially when you have to leap to 20 mins of running. Maybe I need to find a new running app?
I don't think there's anything wrong with just staying at week 4 TBH. You're out there moving and that's what matters.

#14 pjl

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:40 PM

I just skip that session and jump straight to next one, which is for 8 minute sessions from memory. It never hurts my progress and keeps me motivated....otherwise it's too big of a jump for me! I go back to that 20 minute run when it fits in with the program later on.

Good luck!

#15 Emfren

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:41 PM

I have done it successfully before and am doing it again now (post baby #3). My tip would be don’t look at what is coming ahead. Just go out and do it without checking beforehand. The idea of those 20min runs was terrifying, but the reality was ok, not amazing, but ok. The after though, was incredible. I never thought I could do it and when I did it, I knew I would be able to finish the program. If you let yourself dread it and build it up, it makes the doing of it harder. Positive mindset is helpful too - you might surprise yourself, just give it a try!

#16 LittleMissPink

Posted 05 May 2019 - 08:11 PM

Is this the one you are following?
https://www.nerdfitn...lan-583x600.png

Posted Image

#17 darcswan

Posted 05 May 2019 - 08:13 PM

I've never finished the C25K, I get to week 7, then fall off the wagon. Right now I'm on week 4.

So the things I've read are:
1. Don't be afraid of repeating weeks
2. Alter the program if it doesn't work (I did that for 4.1 - shortened the last run to 3 min, instead of 5. My body is slow to recover, so I sometimes rest for 2 days between every run)
3. Combine with a strengthening program, like this one: https://www.youtube....h?v=ioELqxr-Q_w

View PostEmfren, on 05 May 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

If you let yourself dread it and build it up, it makes the doing of it harder.

Yeah, the mental struggle is the hardest part.

I try to trick myself Ie. "you only have to do 6 x 3 min runs - you did 6 intervals in week 2, so its totally possible". Then I choose a soundtrack that fits with that.  

I never get into the zone with running where I can just enjoy the feeling of my body performing, so I go with countdowns and tiny milestones instead *lol*

#18 Prancer is coming

Posted 05 May 2019 - 08:35 PM

I am doing this at the moment and just finished week 2.  I am stressing about needing to run for 3 minutes on my next run.  You are scaring me!

I did a 5km park run before starting the C25K (my motivation to do the program as my 7 yo runs faster than me!) and thought I was going to die.  The program so far has been pretty achievable and I have not had my heart rate that high or the about to die feeling!  I am trying to keep it manageable by just doing a slow run, not trying to blast out a good distance!  I am running around the neighbourhood and if I come to a hill, I try and go back to avoid it, as I am not fit enough for hills yet.

Do you have good music or something to distract yourself?  And just keep your run slow and see how you go.  I figure if I can’t keep up, I will just repeat the week.  I am also trying to eat healthier and do some other exercise, so I hope as I get fitter it will be easier too....

ETA, in case I gave the impression I actually ran all of park run, just wanted o make it clear I did not.  I might have managed the first km, motivated by mr 7 running off on me, then it was a combination of walking, running and exhausted breathing.  I could not even run to the finish, as too tired and concerned I may collapse!

Edited by Prancer is coming, 05 May 2019 - 09:05 PM.

#19 LittleMissPink

Posted 05 May 2019 - 08:44 PM

I walk Parkrun every saturday at our local. Occasionally I will jog the last 30 seconds or so but at the moment thats about all I can manage.

I want to start the program so that I can jog further, eventually being able to slow jog the whole thing.

#20 Fizgig

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:04 PM

I've been doing a couch to 5km as well. I stalled out at about week 4 due to life events beyond my control, and now have a broken toe so have another 4-5 weeks before I can run again. My problem was that I was only getting out for a run once or twice a week and that wasn't enough to build stamina.

The first time I started running I followed a program from the WA marathon runners club, which had 3 runs a week, with one bigger run and two smaller ones (unfortunately it looks like its not online anymore). It worked really well. One of the things that I learnt was even if I slowed down to get a bit more breath as long as I actually kept running rather than stopping my stamina did improve, and once I had the stamina I could improve the speed. I never got much above 7 mins/ 7 mins 30 a km.  

You are really inspiring to get back out there. Good luck!

#21 Caribou

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:09 PM

View PostFizgig, on 05 May 2019 - 09:04 PM, said:

I've been doing a couch to 5km as well. I stalled out at about week 4 due to life events beyond my control, and now have a broken toe so have another 4-5 weeks before I can run again. My problem was that I was only getting out for a run once or twice a week and that wasn't enough to build stamina.

The first time I started running I followed a program from the WA marathon runners club, which had 3 runs a week, with one bigger run and two smaller ones (unfortunately it looks like its not online anymore). It worked really well. One of the things that I learnt was even if I slowed down to get a bit more breath as long as I actually kept running rather than stopping my stamina did improve, and once I had the stamina I could improve the speed. I never got much above 7 mins/ 7 mins 30 a km.  

You are really inspiring to get back out there. Good luck!

Oh no! I feel you on broken toe. That happened to me last time, stalled at 4 wheeling breaking a toe tripping over baby gate in the middle of the night.

I watch Netflix when I run to keep busy. I do those 42 min shows and to an extra long cooldown :)

Just not sure about 8 minutes!! :lol: we will find out in in tomorrow’s run.

#22 bikingbubs

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:37 PM

My tip for the first time you do 20 mins... start much slower than usual. Most of the battle is in your head! Either way, doing something is better than doing nothing. Good luck!

#23 Caribou

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:13 PM

I did the 8minute block of running to my surprise I managed it!

Think I’ll give the 20 min run a wide berth for a week or two and just repeat the 8minute runs for a while!

#24 Caribou

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:14 PM

But yes, I agree that running out in open would be better. I can speed up and slow my pace unlike tread mill. Maybe one day I’ll be able to do an outdoor run!

#25 Prancer is coming

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:21 PM

Good on you caribou.  I started week 3 today, after spending all week putting it off.  To my surprise I did the 3 minute run.  Twice!  Whilst I would not say easily, I felt I did had reserves left and could have gone a bit further.  Will spur me on to get through this week and be ready for whatever joy week 4 brings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.