Ditching the mobile phone plan?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#26 Dadto2

Posted 01 May 2019 - 01:20 PM

View PostMumma3, on 01 May 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:

When does the contract end? If it’s next month, I’d wait.
Telstra will want to charge for anything they can - Doesn’t mean they should though.
There are some good options mentioned already, depending on your needs you could also look at Moose Mobile which we are very happy with - they have various rates and also offer month to month as well as 12 month plans.

September

#27 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 01 May 2019 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for starting this OP!

WE are with Telstra (on top plans) and pay a small fortune each month for 4 x mobiles, 1 x landline and internet.

I'm going to check out Aldi.

#28 More cheese Gromit

Posted 01 May 2019 - 02:26 PM

My whole family have always only had prepaid
We currently use Woolworths
DH swaps us between whatever is more cost effective every year
He just ports our numbers, I don’t have to anything so I’m not fussed how often he changes us, I don’t have to do anything

#29 magic_marker

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:34 PM

View PostDadto2, on 01 May 2019 - 01:20 PM, said:

September

You could wait.
Paying out the contract should be pro-rata.
Check your contract and then weigh up the cost.

#30 Prancer is coming

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:27 PM

I pay $10 per 28 days for unlimited text, calls and 1gb of internet.  It is prepaid and no contract.

1gb generally gets me through the month, as long as I don’t download anything.  But I have unlimited internet at home so don’t really need to be doing anything that uses heaps of data when out and about.  I also don’t want to be spending lots of time on my phone when out and about not pay heaps when I already have unlimited services at home.  I find online messaging does not use much data at all.

#31 Meepy

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:40 PM

Same as Prancer $10 a month for ds with Southern-Optus network and $10 a month for me with Pennytel - Telstra network. Use wifi at home and work so very little data used out and about.

#32 **Xena**

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:53 PM

I went with JBHiFi. They use the Telstra network and for $45 I get unlimited calls/texts and 50gb of data a month :) It's a 12 month plan.

Edited by **Xena**, 01 May 2019 - 10:55 PM.

#33 Manicmum

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:56 PM

I pay $30 for 30g and unlimited calls/text, the kids is $15 in a family thing with Optus, but that’s on a plan and I think the data gets shared

#34 alchetta

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:07 AM

$20 a month on a cancel- or change-anytime Amaysim plan here. Never had a problem. I also buy handsets outright if my phone breaks (eBay or Kogan) but I don't get the latest model, nor refurbished as they often have hidden issues.

#35 SummerStar

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:19 AM

I stopped buying mobiles on plans a while ago. It's a rip off. I buy the phone outright and then get a month to month or prepaid depending on deals. I pay between $30-40 a month. Right now it's $40 with Telstra. We no longer use a home phone so I do want it active but I don't need to pay $100+ for the plan with a phone (the phones I get on similar plans to what I have now are usually $130+ on a plan).

#36 *holdontight*

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:57 AM

I don't think we've been on plans for about 3yrs now.  

We're with Kogan & have 2 @ $16/mth @ 1 @ $12/mth, unlimited talk &txt, realistically we could have them all on the $12 plans as we don't use much data but chose the higher just incase.

We also buy our phones outright, we all have Oppo's & they're amazing & lasting a lot longer than our iPhones/samsungs did.

We have home internet for $80 a month & when that expires we'll be shopping around, no home phone.

#37 Druidmom

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:22 AM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 30 April 2019 - 06:55 PM, said:

Wow, that’s good. Think I’ll do this for our two tablets and my phone! Thanks for this.  I assume you can bring your own mobile number?

Do they use telstra towers?

I missed the response, sorry! Yes, using Telstra towers and yes to transferring your number. I was previously with Vodafone and the change has been better than expected.

#38 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:58 AM

I am on prepaid, I rarely make calls, I use the wifi at home and do have data on the prepaid.  I rarely run out of data and use it for facebook, email, text messages and some internet searches.  It costs me $30 a month, which is less than half of my old plan.

#39 petal71

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:53 PM

Always have gone prepaid. I have been stung losing an expensive mobile before, so these days have a fairly cheap one bought outright with $30 Telstra recharge prepaid per month. I still go old school and buy the topup voucher at the newsagents as I prefer as few things as possible to go on my credit card. I'm not sure how much data I get but usually it lasts me or I have to recharge a day or two early.

#40 liveworkplay

Posted 05 May 2019 - 08:13 PM

I changed to prepaid for similar reason. I txt a lot but rarely ring and have access to wifi. I chose telstra prepaid as I never use my 8gb of data (on a $30 recharge) and they allow you to bank unused data up to 200GB. My kids have ovo (uses telstra network), which is currently 2gb data for $10 a month (post paid)

Edited by liveworkplay, 05 May 2019 - 08:16 PM.

#41 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:58 PM

So it seems like a few services use the Telstra network then?

#42 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:53 PM

View Posttayto..., on 30 April 2019 - 09:01 PM, said:

Another happy Aldi mobile customer! DH too. He does $15 I do $25 and we pay $70 pm for unltd NBN (no landline)

I'm currently researching Pre-Paid vs Plans (Aldi at the mo)
Who is your NBN through? I'm looking to get rid of the home phone, never use it and it's $140 a month for a bundle (Broadband inc)

#43 MrsCee

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:26 PM

I’m on Telstra prepaid and always have been. I pay $30 per month and get unlimited calls and text and a crap load of data (not sure exactly how much) which I never ever use. I never even use any of the $30 actual credit cause I don’t go over data.

I’ve even been able to use my phone overseas with no issues in most places.

I buy my phones outright and save a huge amount overall.

I just bought a new iPhone X today through Apple outright and got a great deal with a ridiculous trade in for a super old iPhone 6.

I did the sums in the last few days and buying the phone outright through Apple and paying then paying $30 month prepaid is virtually half the cost of buying the same phone on a plan through Telstra.

Plans are a mugs game.

#44 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:30 PM

Yes, I'm a mug.

Sounds like you got a good deal. How much was the final cost MrsCee?

#45 MrsCee

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:38 PM

I paid $999 for an XR 32gb outright for the phone at our local Apple store. After I pay $30p/m for my prepaid I will pay $1719 over 2 years.

Had I bought the exact same phone through Telstra on their cheapest plan it would be $2616.

So almost $1000 difference.

The good thing with buying phone outright and being prepaid is that I walked into Apple today with my unlocked phone and literally 20 mins later I walked out with my new phone with my old sim, same number and the phone was working.

Saves stuffing around with Telstra et al and if there’s a problem I can just toddle back to Apple.

I think in the old days the telcos almost gave phones away so you would sign with them. Now I think they’ve cottoned on that youngens want the latest phone but can’t afford to buy them outright so they jack up the price so they can “afford” to pay them off.

Edited by MrsCee, 07 May 2019 - 04:39 PM.

#46 shellyb

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:42 PM

We've gone through Catch Connect $40 for 3 months with 8GB data per month. Works for us :-)

#47 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:49 PM

View PostMrsCee, on 07 May 2019 - 04:38 PM, said:

I paid $999 for an XR 32gb outright for the phone at our local Apple store. After I pay $30p/m for my prepaid I will pay $1719 over 2 years.

Had I bought the exact same phone through Telstra on their cheapest plan it would be $2616.

So almost $1000 difference.

The good thing with buying phone outright and being prepaid is that I walked into Apple today with my unlocked phone and literally 20 mins later I walked out with my new phone with my old sim, same number and the phone was working.

Saves stuffing around with Telstra et al and if there’s a problem I can just toddle back to Apple.

I think in the old days the telcos almost gave phones away so you would sign with them. Now I think they’ve cottoned on that youngens want the latest phone but can’t afford to buy them outright so they jack up the price so they can “afford” to pay them off.

That's a good saving alright!

View Postshellyb, on 07 May 2019 - 04:42 PM, said:

We've gone through Catch Connect $40 for 3 months with 8GB data per month. Works for us :-)

Never heard of them. Can you purchase from a newsagent?

#48 Rilee's~Mama

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:03 PM

View Postshellyb, on 07 May 2019 - 04:42 PM, said:

I just googled them, and it reads as the data is for the whole 3 month period .. ie, 8Gb for 3 months, not 8Gb each month.

Have you been with them for more than the initial 3 month period and can confirm it's each month? Keen to switch to them if it's the stated amount of data for each month.

Edited by Rilee's~Mama, 08 May 2019 - 12:03 PM.

#49 EsmeLennox

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:44 PM

We've got he Aldi family plan too, had it since January for me and 3 kids. Seriously cannot fault it. I purchased a new phone for me outright, and passed on my old one to the youngest child. We will be way ahead on what it would have cost to do the same thing with Telstra under a contract.

We changed over when my Telstra contract expired. I'd wait out the contract and then consider the options.

Edited by EsmeLennox, 08 May 2019 - 12:45 PM.

#50 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:20 PM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 08 May 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

We've got he Aldi family plan too, had it since January for me and 3 kids. Seriously cannot fault it. I purchased a new phone for me outright, and passed on my old one to the youngest child. We will be way ahead on what it would have cost to do the same thing with Telstra under a contract.

We changed over when my Telstra contract expired. I'd wait out the contract and then consider the options.

Was it difficult to change over? I'm looking at going from Telstra to Aldi. Did you have to phone Telstra and let them know?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.