Ditching the mobile phone plan?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Dadto2

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:33 PM

It seems that most of my communication with friends, family is through Whatsapp or Facebook messenger. I rarely call or TXT. I have wifi at home and work and most places seem to have free wifi. I was wondering if it was worth going to a pay as you go sim considering i'm using wifi most of the time and rarely actually using Telstras services? I'm on about $100/month, but that includes a phone I'm paying for, that will be paid for next month, so monthly cost will go down, I guess to $60 - $70? But still seems a lot considering i make such few calls on it?

#2 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:48 PM

My kids get by on $152 per year with unlimited calls/text and 3gb of data every 30 days. We get the basic Kogan mobile pre paid plan when on sale.

I am living on a legacy plan for $40 per month 8gb data and unlimited calls/texts but also has three data sims (used in ipads) included in the price.

#3 molinero

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:49 PM

Sounds like a standard phone plan rate, but to me that is a lot. I use prepaid Amaysim and find it really good value. I also milk my work phone for as much personal stuff as I can (work don't care). I work from home a lot, so convenient wifi access means I don't need much mobile data.

I think improved wireless access is going to kill some of these bloated phone plans we've been told we can't live without for the past 10 years.

#4 Charli73

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:29 PM

Have an Aldi phone sim and it’s $25 a month for about 12gb.. it automatically recharges every 30 days.. so much better than a plan unless you need a new phone I suppose but I bought one outright.

#5 Bereckii

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:35 PM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 30 April 2019 - 04:48 PM, said:

My kids get by on $152 per year with unlimited calls/text and 3gb of data every 30 days. We get the basic Kogan mobile pre paid plan when on sale.

This sounds good!

I get by using Vaya $16 per month unlimited text and calls and 3g/mth data (month by month contract, not locked in to a long contract)

Like you, I use wifi whenever I can.

#6 Etta

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:35 PM

I have an Aldi PAYG for $15 a month which is unlimited texts and calls (Australia). And 2.5GB data.

#7 bec578

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:38 PM

Aldi $15 plan here too for DH, DD & myself

#8 nom_de_plume

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:39 PM

I also use Aldi prepaid. $25 per month gets you unlimited texts/calls to standard numbers, 100 minutes to overseas and 14gig data.

It runs on the Telstra network so I get great reception.

#9 Octopodes

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:40 PM

I've never had a phone plan, I've just stuck with prepaid plans. DH is the same and DS will be too when he gets a phone next year. I pay $20 per 28 days on Boost and get unlimited calls/texts and 5GB of data. I just buy a new phone outright when I want to upgrade. Works well for me.

The data allegedly rolls over, but I always forget to recharge until the day after my credit expires.

Edited by Octopodes, 30 April 2019 - 05:42 PM.

#10 casime

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:38 PM

I have had a Telstra Pre-Paid for years.  I don't have a home phone anymore, just use the mobile, and use quite a lot of mobile data.  I've not paid more than a $30 or $40 recharge each month.

#11 Druidmom

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:46 PM

Aldi prepaid family plan here. 4 devices $80 per month, unlimited calls/txts 100 min overseas, and 53.27GB data that gets rolled over monthly if unused. We are using it for 2 mobiles (DH and I) and 2 tablets (mine and DDs).

#12 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:53 PM

Once my phone is paid off I’m going tos witch to a data-heavy pre paid plan. For similar reasons. It will be a lot cheaper, but I do need data for holidays and when our home internet drops out. Lots of people do it that way.

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~, 30 April 2019 - 06:54 PM.

#13 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:55 PM

View PostDruidmom, on 30 April 2019 - 06:46 PM, said:

Aldi prepaid family plan here. 4 devices $80 per month, unlimited calls/txts 100 min overseas, and 53.27GB data that gets rolled over monthly if unused. We are using it for 2 mobiles (DH and I) and 2 tablets (mine and DDs).

Wow, that’s good. Think I’ll do this for our two tablets and my phone! Thanks for this.  I assume you can bring your own mobile number?

Do they use telstra towers?

#14 JustBeige

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:02 PM

Aldi mobile plans here too (for the kids)

I have a voda plan that is only around $40 a month and some of their Red plans are pretty reasonable.

#15 c.sanders

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:11 PM

Amaysim here and it's like $20 or $30 and works great for me

#16 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:30 PM

Was also going to suggest Aldi or Kogan depending on area.
They both do yearly plans which are even cheaper Im pretty sure.  Im assuming from your OP you don't need good coverage in rural or remote areas!

#17 tayto...

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:01 PM

Another happy Aldi mobile customer! DH too. He does $15 I do $25 and we pay $70 pm for unltd NBN (no landline)

#18 Dadto2

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:31 AM

View PostDruidmom, on 30 April 2019 - 06:46 PM, said:

wow that's so cheap

#19 Dadto2

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:37 AM

Can you port your old telstra number over to Aldi sim cards?

#20 WaitForMe

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:53 AM

I'm on $15/m plan with Internode (Optus network). I have no idea what the data limit is, only time I ever go over the data is when on holiday and theres no wifi.

I don't even have it connected to wifi at work, and despite all emails and other comms going through it, still never go over. I don't think I even hit 50%, pretty sure I get a warning for that. I get a tonne of emails but I don't open attachments on it and they are only downloaded when opened.

DH, on the other hand, likes to watch things on his phone going into work. But he is on a business plan, almost entirely covered by work.

#21 froglett

Posted 01 May 2019 - 11:14 AM

Aldi here too, saving a fortune! I paid out my phone on Telstra and then ditched the plan. I think I'm on the $25 plan - and it seems every other week they send me an email saying they're increasing the data allowance.

Yes, you can port your old number.

Edited by froglett, 01 May 2019 - 11:14 AM.

#22 Dadto2

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:49 PM

View Postfroglett, on 01 May 2019 - 11:14 AM, said:

Aldi here too, saving a fortune! I paid out my phone on Telstra and then ditched the plan. I think I'm on the $25 plan - and it seems every other week they send me an email saying they're increasing the data allowance.

Yes, you can port your old number.

Telstra want to charge me a fee for breaking contract.

#23 magic_marker

Posted 01 May 2019 - 01:00 PM

View PostDadto2, on 01 May 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

Telstra want to charge me a fee for breaking contract.

How long to the end of contract?
Mentioned in your OP it finishes next month?
Aldi is on the Telstra Network. Their plans start at $15 per month. The price increases for more Data.

#24 Quick hedgehog

Posted 01 May 2019 - 01:06 PM

I use the Aldi prepaid too.  The benefit with Aldi is that your credit doesn't expire for 365 days, so I put my $15 onto my sim and it usually lasts me about 6 months.  The call cost per minute is a bit more expensive, but given that I rarely make a call, it still works out way cheaper.  

When DS got his phone, we use the same prepaid plan, so he has his phone to call in emergencies, but knows that it isn't for just random calls or texting.  

I figure I lived without being able to check facebook or EB when I'm away from my computer for the first 50 years of my life, I can manage without doing it now. There is plenty of wifi around to do things on when necessary and the savings are well worth any perceived inconvenience.

#25 Mumma3

Posted 01 May 2019 - 01:10 PM

When does the contract end? If it’s next month, I’d wait.
Telstra will want to charge for anything they can - Doesn’t mean they should though.
There are some good options mentioned already, depending on your needs you could also look at Moose Mobile which we are very happy with - they have various rates and also offer month to month as well as 12 month plans.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.