How can I even choose who to vote for from this mess?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#1 BadCat

Posted 27 April 2019 - 05:36 PM

Edited by BadCat, 23 July 2019 - 08:59 PM.

#2 can'tstayaway

Posted 27 April 2019 - 06:58 PM

Because of those crazies, I don’t put the major parties last the way I used to. I don’t want to be inadvertently voting in bigger nutjobs than I have to.

#3 Octopodes

Posted 27 April 2019 - 07:13 PM

I think you are in the ACT? Which probably gives you less options than the states have...

When I am struggling to find the last few reasonable senate candidates I tend to revert to numbering boxes of the ALP even though they are environmentally irresponsible, refugee hating, fence sitters. I number all of the lefty parties before them though.

It is generally the lower house ballot I struggle with, I hate numbering all of the boxes.

Edited by Octopodes, 27 April 2019 - 07:15 PM.

#4 kadoodle

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:12 PM

It’s a shame we can’t put all the crazies last.

#5 Jenflea

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:16 PM

I know I'll be putting Zed last.

I haven't looked at the rest but him I really don't like.

Where are you seeing the candidates BC? Online?

#6 Octopodes

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:29 PM

View Postkadoodle, on 27 April 2019 - 09:12 PM, said:

It’s a shame we can’t put all the crazies last.
I prefer to exhaust my vote so there is no chance at all of it ever getting to the crazies.

#7 BadCat

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:32 PM

#8 SeaPrincess

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:33 PM

I have 67 candidates to choose from. How do I decide who is the worst of the crazy one-policy parties? Would I rather have pirates than One Nation? (FTR, probably).

DH and I were discussing voting today. He is voting early, on Monday, before he goes away for work on Tuesday, and I considered going with him, but I haven't got a clue who to vote for.

#9 Jenflea

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:35 PM

Oh, it's worse than I realised.

Thanks for the link, I need to do some thinking!

#10 Mumma bug

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:36 PM

I have such apathy this time around that I’m considering an informal vote for the first time ever. I hope the sausage sizzle is at least good so it’s not a completely wasted outing.

#11 Kallie88

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:49 PM

Jeez i hate trying to decipher this stuff, you'd think the health party would be good if i didn't know they were anti vaxxers I'd prob put them higher. Even though yellow vest looks like yet another racist "freedom of speech" group at least they had it in clear dot points so i know

#12 SeaPrincess

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:50 PM

View PostKallie88, on 27 April 2019 - 09:49 PM, said:

you'd think the health party would be good if i didn't know they were anti vaxxers I'd prob put them higher.

There's a blatant anti-vax party AND a secret deceitful anti-vax party?

#13 Kallie88

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:51 PM

I might have got it wrong but i thought the party used to be called the anti vax party but they've changed their name. Maybe I'm misremembering? Help!

#14 SeaPrincess

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:53 PM

I have the Involuntary Medical Objectors (Vaccination/Fluoride) and the Health Australia Party, both with 2 candidates.

#15 Octopodes

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:54 PM

The party names on the ABC link BadCat posted link to each party's website. It might make it a little easier to decipher which party is which type of crazy.
https://www.healthau...au/vaccination/

Edited by Octopodes, 27 April 2019 - 09:57 PM.

#16 SeaPrincess

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:56 PM

View PostKallie88, on 27 April 2019 - 09:51 PM, said:

I might have got it wrong but i thought the party used to be called the anti vax party but they've changed their name. Maybe I'm misremembering? Help!

According to their website, they've been misrepresented as anti-vax because they vehemently oppose the no jab-no play rule.

#17 BadCat

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:57 PM

#18 Kallie88

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:59 PM

Lol that link is what i was looking at, some of them are just too vague i have no idea what they really stand for. Like the climate action immigration action - what action do you want to take guys?! I can assume but I'd rather know for sure.
I'm vic i only saw the health party, they do seem very "pro natural medicine" though so i wouldn't be surprised if they're anti vax

Eta: thanks for the link octopodes, guess they're not quite as woo as it looked like they might have been. This is why I'm bad at this stuff lol

Edited by Kallie88, 27 April 2019 - 10:02 PM.

#19 purplekitty

Posted 27 April 2019 - 10:14 PM

View PostSeaPrincess, on 27 April 2019 - 09:56 PM, said:

According to their website, they've been misrepresented as anti-vax because they vehemently oppose the no jab-no play rule.
Clever rebranding.
Isaac Golden is still an office holder.

http://www.dilutedth...hap_antivax.php

#20 BadCat

Posted 27 April 2019 - 10:21 PM

Edited by BadCat, 23 July 2019 - 09:00 PM.

#21 Octopodes

Posted 27 April 2019 - 10:26 PM

Would it be helpful to have a collaborative thread where people can post little snippets about each party/independent to help guide those struggling to cut through the crap?

#22 AliasMater

Posted 28 April 2019 - 07:35 AM

I number each of the 200+ boxes below the line, and to make it easy, I always put the LNP last.

It hurts my husband that I do this because he puts One Nation after the LNP. For some reason, I just can't. It's an ongoing conversation in our house!

#23 Evra

Posted 28 April 2019 - 07:57 AM

My 76-year-old, non-computer literate mother is voting for the first time this election. We have a lot of explaining to do!

#24 TrixieBelden

Posted 28 April 2019 - 08:05 AM

The HAP was started by a naturopath, believes ‘natural medicine’ should be on a par with evidence based medicine (they call it ‘pharmacological medicine’) and ‘acknowledges’ that vaccination is the ‘most commonly used form of immunisation’ but does not provide information on what they think might be other forms of
Immunisation.

They are most certainly ‘woo’.

Interestingly despite their feelings about doctors and ‘pharma’ as they call it, they support mechanisms of euthanasia involving authorisation by two (actual, evidence based, scientifically trained non-‘natural’) doctors and the use of all the chemical nasties that ‘natural medicine’ normally resists.  

Science is good for something I guess.

#25 Mister Mum

Posted 28 April 2019 - 08:17 AM

The trouble with democracy, is that every silly b*st*rd gets a vote.

Maybe we should incorporate voting bans into fines and criminal punishments...

Parked over two spaces at the supermarket?  That's it, you're off the list for five years for being an inconsiderate jerk.

Put rubbish in someone else's bin?  Lifetime ban...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.