Lon - Syd Non Stop Flight

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ~Bob~

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:54 PM

Has anyone done the London to Sydney non stop flight on Qantas with a toddler?

I went to book and I’ve stopped myself. I have anxiety right now and my breathing is thick. 23 hours on a plane with a 23 month old toddler. One that doesn’t sit still. Will I want to jump off half way?

I’d love to hear from anyone with experience please.

#2 dadwasathome

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:06 PM

There is no London to Sydney non-stop. There is London-Perth-Melbourne

But sorry, not with a toddler

#3 Living Type

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:12 PM

I’ve done London to Dubai with a couple of hours stopover then on to Sydney. It wasn’t too terrible. Toddler got into a nice routine of eat, watch tv and nap every three or four hours. I have a tv addict though which helped a lot.

#4 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:33 PM

From Australia you can only go Perth to London non-stop, not Sydney to London non-stop.

#5 eponee

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:42 PM

DWAH and TA are correct - there arent London to Sydney direct flights.

Edited by eponee, 25 April 2019 - 10:20 AM.

#6 No Drama Please

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:55 PM

We’ve flown to Europe with babies and toddlers but you’ll need to stop though, unless you’re doing the Perth to London flight. If you go to Singapore it’s about 9 hours then another 14 or if you go to Middle East you do the 14 hours then the 7 after to London. So it’s if you want the long part over first really.

#7 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:01 PM

Worst ever flight was with DD when she was that age. She wasn’t interested in anything for more than 5 minutes, including tv. Didn’t sleep more than 3 hours between Perth and Northern Europe. Had to be on me at all times, DH was the enemy and I ended up having to take her to the toilet when I needed to go. The stopover was the thing that helped me get to eat and recover a little. The actual holiday was fabulous, the flights each way were horrors.

#8 Burro

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:13 PM

I’ve done it. Wasn’t fun, but it’s just one day. You will be exhausted at the end.

If it’s just a holiday, postpone for a year. But if it’s for something special, go for it. How bad can it really be?

#9 seayork2002

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:15 PM

Sydney to London? Is this really happening?

#10 Burro

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:17 PM

Flights sometime sound like they are direct but they still have a refuelling stop. Haven’t you noticed that seayork?

#11 seayork2002

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:24 PM

Burro, on 24 April 2019 - 11:17 PM, said:

Flights sometime sound like they are direct but they still have a refuelling stop. Haven’t you noticed that seayork?

No I can't say I have ever noticed Syd to london direct when booking flights there

#12 ~Bob~

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:15 AM

I’ll need to look into it. It looked direct. It was QF2. Maybe I got something wrong??

#13 Anon63

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:34 AM

~Bob~, on 25 April 2019 - 12:15 AM, said:

I’ll need to look into it. It looked direct. It was QF2. Maybe I got something wrong??

QF2 involves a stop in Singapore. I have caught it several times and had to disembark, go through a security point and wait am hour before getting back on the same place. It's not hard but it's not direct.

See below.

9:05 PM

Heathrow Airport LHR

Travel time: 13h 20m

Overnight

5:25 PM+1

Changi Airport Singapore SIN

Qantas

Economy

Airbus A380QF 2

Often delayed by 30+ min

• Average legroom (79 cm)
  • In-seat power & USB outlets
  • On-demand video

2h 5m layover

Singapore SIN

7:30 PM+1

Changi Airport Singapore SIN

Travel time: 7h 40m

Overnight

5:10 AM+2

Sydney Airport SYD

Qantas

Economy

Airbus A380QF 2

Often delayed by 30+ min

#14 born.a.girl

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:10 AM

seayork2002, on 24 April 2019 - 11:15 PM, said:

Sydney to London? Is this really happening?

I believe it's on the agenda, but it's definitely not happening yet.

I do like the sound of the Perth - London, and even considered it closely. Would spend several days in Perth beforehand, though - a smidgen of time adjustment and separating the flights works for me.  Like the way it lands in London at 6am, too.  I know those with kids often prefer 'straight to bed', but I find adrenaline helps keep me awake and start the move into the time change.

#15 BornToLove

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:27 AM

No Drama Please, on 24 April 2019 - 10:55 PM, said:

We’ve flown to Europe with babies and toddlers but you’ll need to stop though, unless you’re doing the Perth to London flight. If you go to Singapore it’s about 9 hours then another 14 or if you go to Middle East you do the 14 hours then the 7 after to London. So it’s if you want the long part over first really.
We travel to Canada regularly and the flight times are similar depending on where you connect. Anyways, that break from the airplane was a lifesaver especially when DD was younger. Even just for the ability to stretch out, have a shower and a semi-decent coffee was worth it for me.

On the other hand, it really depends on the length of the connection and where you will be during that time. Less than 4 hours on the ground and with lounge access? Or overnight with a hotel room?  Take the break, it’s worth it. Wandering the terminal for several hours, no access to showers or quiet space? I’d take my chances on the Perth to London flight.

#16 Burro

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:56 AM

~Bob~, on 25 April 2019 - 12:15 AM, said:

I’ve thought the same thing before. The flight is described as direct, but it won’t be. There will be a short stop, hour and a half maybe. and then you will get back on the same flight.

#17 molinero

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:22 AM

FWIW Etihad flies the same route (with stopover in the middle east) and they have nannies helping out, even in the economy area of the plane at no extra cost.

I have not used this service myself but it might be worth considering, even if it means you can go to the bathroom on your own for a few minutes.

And if this were me, I would also book in a proper stopover on the way to and from.

There are plenty of family travel blogs out there talking about how to get toddlers to settle on planes. The consensus seems to be physically wearing them out at the airport playground or by walking up and down the escalators, and then taking a night flight. Goody bags filled with new books, toys and snacks are also a must to take on board.

But when it's all said and done, you can't control all variables. You might have one flight segment where your child is an angel, then another one where they go completely feral.

Good luck, you are brave.

#18 purpleduck

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:27 AM

Check the layover/refueling times. They can vary from as little as 90mins to over 6hrs. Depends on the airline and times.

#19 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:12 AM

I have done it with a toddler a few times. Worst one was toddler on lap while pregnant.

Did trip to London and back with DD at 21m, then followed up with a trip to Paris at 23m.

Perfectly doable with stop in Singapore (refuelling).

My mantra was hope for the best, prepare for the worst and expect something in between.

Also remember you are unlikely to know others sitting around you. You will do your best, but sometimes kids are inconsolable. Tough titties to others. You are trying your best. It is only 24 hours. You can make it.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 25 April 2019 - 09:36 AM.

#20 Pocket...

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:23 AM

I've done the Perth London, and London Perth with a 2/3 year old and 6 year old and I found it really good. You fly over night so you mostly sleep. However the kids had already flown a lot so I was confident they'd be fine with everything. Not having till herd the kids on and off the plane for a stopover was awesome.

#21 Burro

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:23 AM

Veritas Vinum Arte, on 25 April 2019 - 09:12 AM, said:

Touch titties to others. You are trying your best. It is only 24 hours. You can make it.

🤣

#22 ~J_WTF~

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:26 AM

Veritas Vinum Arte, on 25 April 2019 - 09:12 AM, said:

Touch titties to others. You are trying your best. It is only 24 hours. You can make it.

:rofl:

Probably don’t take this advice OP. It might lead you somewhere but it won’t be to London!!!

#23 polythene

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:34 AM

Non-stop and direct don't mean the same thing in regard to flights.  Direct means you have the same flight number and aircraft but there will be one or more stops along the way. Non-stop means you don't stop anywhere. A connecting flight means change of aircraft or airline.

I'd be hesitant about flying that far with a toddler, but if I needed to go, I guess I'd just suck it up. If you have someone to help you then that would make it easier. Otherwise I'd wait until at least age 4 or whatever age you think they could watch movies for hours on end.

You could break your trip with a night or two in Singapore, but I reckon it's easier just to get it over with.

#24 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:36 AM

Darn autocorrect

#25 born.a.girl

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:48 AM

Veritas Vinum Arte, on 25 April 2019 - 09:36 AM, said:

Darn autocorrect

You must admit the hilarity is sometimes worth it.

My husband once sent a text saying 'off to pick up chicks in Toorak'.

The thought of him calling women 'chicks' ...

The thought that he might actually consider doing this ...

Best of all the thought that Toorak might be his best option!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.