Birthday menu - afternoon tea

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 cardamom

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:49 PM

I'm having an afternoon tea for my 30th in a few weeks' time. Fairly low key, but food is important to me ;) so I want it to be nice. Budget doesn't stretch to full catering so I will be doing a lot of the food myself.

Finger food style. Mostly adults coming but there will be some kids.

If you were a guest, would you be happy with the below? Any suggestions/changes? More kid options? (and if so, what?)

Note, it will be fairly strictly kosher so nothing with meat. That also limits slightly the kinds of ingredients I can get - eg. it's hard to find kosher puff pastry, some types of soft cheese, etc.

Also, I don't drink so am a bit clueless with these things - would wine/bubbles be expected? Will have soft drinks and juice and maybe some kind of punch, but not sure re: alcohol?

---

Savoury:

Dips, vegie sticks, crackers

Tostada bites - corn chips with a guac topping

Filled mini bagels - 1) cheese and tomato 2) smoked salmon and cream cheese 3) a vegan smashed chickpea and rocket

Rice paper rolls (will order these from a caterer)

Crostini - sourdough with ricotta, pesto, tomato

Vegie galette - something like this. If not that, maybe quiches - the friend who is hosting suggested them (clearly she has some magic kosher pastry knowledge that I do not possess).

Sweet

Chocolate rugelach (caterer)

Biscotti

Berry friands

Fruit kebabs

Cheesecake (friend is making)

Birthday cake (will order this - something lemon-y)

Any thoughts appreciated! Party hosting makes me anxious. Need to remember people are coming because they love me, not to judge my cooking...

#2 ~J_WTF~

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:53 PM

I would probably expect to have a glass of wine at a 30th but is totally dependant on who the party is for...

The menu sounds great. I will come if you need extras ;)

#3 cardamom

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:57 PM

View Post~J_WTF~, on 24 April 2019 - 06:53 PM, said:

I would probably expect to have a glass of wine at a 30th but is totally dependant on who the party is for...

The menu sounds great. I will come if you need extras Posted Image

Come one, come all!

Thank you, I assumed that was the case. Would just white wine be okay, do you think? (as opposed to red)

Might get some beer as well? I'm from the country and the idea of a party without beer is unfathomable but not sure if that's de rigeur in posher circles :p

#4 Riotproof

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:59 PM

It really sounds delicious. I think if your friends know you aren’t a drinker they will probably expect no alcohol, particularly as it’s an afternoon tea not a dinner. They might bring their own though.

I do not know exactly what kosher entails, but the coles brand puff pastry is dairy free and I’m sure it says suitable for vegans. Just in case that helps in any way.

#5 cardamom

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:04 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 24 April 2019 - 06:59 PM, said:

I do not know exactly what kosher entails, but the coles brand puff pastry is dairy free and I’m sure it says suitable for vegans. Just in case that helps in any way.

I wish - alas not.

That's the one I use when cooking 'kosher-style' or for vegans but strictly kosher is a whole different kettle of fish - products need to have undergone a particular kind of supervision to receive kosher certification.

According to my kosher app there is precisely one brand of puff pastry that is acceptable, which neither I nor Google seem to have have heard of!

Thanks for the tip though :)

Edited by cardamom, 24 April 2019 - 07:08 PM.

#6 ~J_WTF~

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:04 PM

View Postcardamom, on 24 April 2019 - 06:57 PM, said:

Come one, come all!

Thank you, I assumed that was the case. Would just white wine be okay, do you think? (as opposed to red)

Might get some beer as well? I'm from the country and the idea of a party without beer is unfathomable but not sure if that's de rigeur in posher circles :p

You could do a cider instead of wine but white is good, I only drink moscato, so you better get wine advice off someone who has a better taste than mine :lol:

#7 Riotproof

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:08 PM

If you do want to have booze, I’d go with just bubbles. Assuming that is kosher.

#8 cardamom

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:13 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 24 April 2019 - 07:08 PM, said:

If you do want to have booze, I’d go with just bubbles. Assuming that is kosher.

Will need to ask one of my more-Jewish friends :ph34r: Can't figure it out - searching 'champagne' in the app yields nothing...

#9 PrincessPeach

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:35 PM

If your friends know you are not a big drinker, putting byo on the invites would probably go downmarket fine.

I did it for my 30th - given a good 3/4 of us were at some stage of a pregnancy or early stages breastfeeding, the selection of teas & the coffee machine were a more than welcome sight.

#10 tayto...

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:36 PM

View Postcardamom, on 24 April 2019 - 07:13 PM, said:

Will need to ask one of my more-Jewish friends :ph34r: Can't figure it out - searching 'champagne' in the app yields nothing...

I’d go with bubbles too. Maybe try searching prosecco or sparkling.

Also if wanting to do a quiche type thing I seem to recall Mum (queen of mini quiche, her name is even Lorraine) would occasionally use bread instead of pastry for the case, in case that is an option

Your menu looks fab btw!! And happy birthday :-)

#11 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:44 PM

It all looks lovely but I would cut it right back. It's much easier to manage large quantities of a few things than lots of different little things. And it also looks much more luxurious :) So I would do the following:

Filled mini bagels - 1) cheese and tomato 2) smoked salmon and cream cheese 3) a vegan smashed chickpea and rocket

Vegie galette - something like this. If not that, maybe quiche I would only do this if someone else is providing. You will have enough to do.

Biscotti

Berry friands

Fruit kebabs

And most importantly, yes, everyone is there to see you! So try to delegate as much as you can. And even rope in a few 15 year olds to hand around food and take glasses back to the kitchen.

#12 eponee

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:47 PM

Can you make the pastry yourself?

This looks easy enough -https://www.leahcook...hp?id_recipe=94

ETA - sorry, I misread your post.  You dont need a recipe.  Here's one anyway :)

Edited by eponee, 24 April 2019 - 07:58 PM.

#13 Navy Blue

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:49 PM

When hosting, I normally say byo alcohol. IME people don't mind at all. Sometimes we'll get a carton of beer or something, more for my dad.

#14 Riotproof

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:54 PM

Does this help? http://gefenliquor.c.../sparkling.html

#15 cardamom

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:57 PM

View Posttayto..., on 24 April 2019 - 07:36 PM, said:

I’d go with bubbles too. Maybe try searching prosecco or sparkling.

Also if wanting to do a quiche type thing I seem to recall Mum (queen of mini quiche, her name is even Lorraine) would occasionally use bread instead of pastry for the case, in case that is an option

Your menu looks fab btw!! And happy birthday :-)

Thank you! :)

Okay, so prosecco and sparkling are also bubbles? (I'm a complete booze novice - I can wax lyrical about the different varieties of diet cola and their respective merit, but ask me about alcohol and I've got nothin'!)

View Posteponee, on 24 April 2019 - 07:47 PM, said:

Can you make the pastry yourself?

I can, but the tricky bit is that all the cooking needs to be done in the host's kitchen, not mine, as mine isn't strictly kosher, so hoping to minimise the amount of complicated/from-scratch stuff where possible :)

View PostNot Escapin Xmas, on 24 April 2019 - 07:44 PM, said:

It all looks lovely but I would cut it right back. It's much easier to manage large quantities of a few things than lots of different little things.

Thank you for the tips - I forgot to mention that there will be quite a few vegan/vegetarian guests so I need to keep the vegie bagels and rice paper rolls in particular. I'm ordering the rolls and the bagels are easy, so no major stress to make them, and the biscotti and quiches are being made by the host.

I confess I'm a bit of a fussy eater myself so like the idea of variety. Also I really love cooking, a lot of the fun for me will be in the preparing :)

#16 cardamom

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:59 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 24 April 2019 - 07:54 PM, said:

YES thank you!! I was on their website before (that shop is my local) but was searching 'champagne' not 'sparkling' because I didn't realise that sparkling was a thing :ph34r:  Like I said, booze novice.

#17 Riotproof

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:08 PM

View Postcardamom, on 24 April 2019 - 07:59 PM, said:

YES thank you!! I was on their website before (that shop is my local) but was searching 'champagne' not 'sparkling' because I didn't realise that sparkling was a thing :ph34r:  Like I said, booze novice.

Sparkling is sparkling wine that’s not made in the champagne region of France.
If there is kosher champagne, it’s gonna cost you a fortune I reckon. Don’t go overboard. Some people might like to teetotal with that sparkling apple juice for similar effect?

Also, don’t be afraid to drop something if it’s not working out for you. You’ve got lots of options. Will the host also help you?

My other big tip is to timeline how far ahead everything can be done so you have a list of tasks for each time period. That way you can hopefully see if you are trying to do too much.

Ps. The Prosecco from that store sounds like it would be perfect.

Edited by Riotproof, 24 April 2019 - 08:18 PM.

#18 WTF_SM3

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:08 PM

View Post~J_WTF~, on 24 April 2019 - 07:04 PM, said:

You could do a cider instead of wine but white is good, I only drink moscato, so you better get wine advice off someone who has a better taste than mine :lol:

I think you have great taste in wine.  I love moscato.  

It's nice and light alcohol wise too.  There's sparkling moscato, yum.

#19 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:17 PM

I wouldn't provide alcohol at an afternoon tea - especially considering you don't drink.

Provide if allowed lots of tea and coffee, and maybe hot chocolate or chocolate milk shakes.

Maybe a few snacks more child orientated.  Popcorn, chips and other bagel fillings that might be suitable.

#20 cardamom

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:30 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 24 April 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

You’ve got lots of options. Will the host also help you?

My other big tip is to timeline how far ahead everything can be done so you have a list of tasks for each time period. That way you can hopefully see if you are trying to do too much.

Oh, don't worry, I'm all about timetabling - years of hosting dinner parties for Jewish festivals means I've got scheduling down to a fine art ;)

Yep, the host is kindly making a few of the things (biscotti, cheesecake, quiches) and I can easily rope my cousin/bestie in to help if needed. There's really not all that much I'll need to do - bagels, friands, fruit kebabs, guac, crostini, cut up the vegie sticks. Mostly just assembly jobs.

View PostTinky Winky Woo, on 24 April 2019 - 09:17 PM, said:

Maybe a few snacks more child orientated. Popcorn, chips and other bagel fillings that might be suitable.

Good point, thank you - I was planning to get a few bags of chips to have on hand, will grab some popcorn too. I think most of the kids who are coming would eat cheese and tomato bagels, and definitely crackers and hommus. I can also keep a couple of bagels plain and throw on some Vegemite if need be :D

#21 cardamom

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:33 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 24 April 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

Sparkling is sparkling wine that’s not made in the champagne region of France.
If there is kosher champagne, it’s gonna cost you a fortune I reckon. Don’t go overboard. Some people might like to teetotal with that sparkling apple juice for similar effect?

Aha, thank you - I feel much wiser now! That makes sense.

Good idea re: the Appletiser. The host's son loves to cook, I might see if he can make up a fruity punch with juice/lemonade/fruit etc. for the other non-drinkers too.

#22 Sweet.Pea

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:34 AM

It all looks lovely but I would cut it right back. It's much easier to manage large quantities of a few things than lots of different little things. And it also looks much more luxurious :) So I would do the following:

Vegie galette - something like this. If not that, maybe quiche I would only do this if someone else is providing. You will have enough to do.

Biscotti

Berry friands

Fruit kebabs

And most importantly, yes, everyone is there to see you! So try to delegate as much as you can. And even rope in a few 15 year olds to hand around food and take glasses back to the kitchen.

I was thinking the same thing.

It's a lot to do by yourself and some of the dishes are hard work or spoil easily.

My menu would probably just consist of a cheese/dip board with crackers and veg, mini quiches/party pies, fancy sandwiches and fruit. Birthday cake as well of course.

#23 Toddlerandme

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:56 AM

It all sounds delicious and I think you have it covered! Agree that adding some chips or popcorn as an easy kid friendly option is not a bad idea (you will find there are big kids who eat them too :)).

I am a non-drinker too, my friends know this and generally bring their own, so don’t stress over the alcohol, or buy a lot as you will end up with leftovers.

#24 Silverstreak

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:41 AM

I have nothing to add, I'm just drooling over your menu. Hope you have a wonderful time!

#25 José

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:07 AM

Biscotti

Berry friands

Fruit kebabs

i really agree with this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.