Gestational Diabetes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MontyMumma

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:19 PM

Has anyone else had the joyful news that they have gestational diabetes?
I had the test done one week early since I knew it would be super busy the week before Easter.
I got the result Friday before last and it totally ruined my Easter.
I'm also low in Iron and Vitamin D :(

#2 born.a.girl

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:29 PM

I wouldn't be too upset at being low in Vitamin D, more people than not seem to have a deficiency these days, especially those who are not outdoors much with their work.

It's great that it's now measured.  It wasn't when I was pregnant, and it's only years later that I discovered how low I was.  There has been research suggesting that low Vit D in the mother contributes to asthma's existence/severity etc, and my daughter's asthma is worse than anyone in the extended family by a long shot.

#3 Redhead43

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:06 PM

I had GD with my third pregnancy, 16 yrs ago. My blood glucose was eventually controlled with insulin. I felt much better once I started insulin as before that I always felt  “hungover”, as if I’d been out drinking the night before, from having higher than normal blood glucose.
Giving myself insulin didn’t bother me, but I am an RN so used to doing injections ( just not on myself).
I had to attend the endocrine clinic often and I wasn’t allowed to have that baby in the birth centre as I had with my previous 2, had to go to the labour ward instead. I was induced 2 weeks early as they were concerned about size of baby, but he turned out to be my smallest one.
That was my experience, though things may have changed now.
Good luck, your GP and midwife will steer you in the right direction.

#4 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:15 PM

I had GD and was also diagnosed just before Easter.  I was devastated, and it felt really hard to cope with.  

I did manage with just adjusting my diet and exercise, and was lucky not to need insulin.  I did test my blood several times a day and knew what would give me higher readings.  

I was told that within 2 years I would have type II diabetes.  I went 10 years safely and have only just now developed it.  Again it was found by pure accident and me knowing I was not feeling right.

I have managed to lower my level at the first test from 6.9 to 6 and am controlling for now with diet and exercise.  

My best advice is to eat low carb, low sugar and even if it is incidental exercise, just move around.  Don't feel embarrassed.  I know someone who was a tiny size 6, only eats fresh fruit, vegies and low fat foods, nothing processed and no unnatural sugars.  She was also very fit and she had GD.

#5 Teds

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:47 PM

I had GD and I managed to control it with diet and exercise. Just. If I had it now they would put me on insulin as they changed the acceptable sugar level readings for insulin down in the last month of my pregnancy.

It was a hassle to manage and I was induced, but the up side was I didn't pile on the weight that was starting to happen due to having to manage my diet so closely. I then returned to my pre-baby weight within six weeks of giving birth. With my age (38) at the time of pregnancy and family history I was not at all surprised to have GD, so I was probably not as devastated as yourself though. Regardless, it takes some time to get your head around I know, but at least your baby isn't at risk if you manage your blood sugar. I also had the nurse tell me I could have been living off lettuce leaves prior to the test and still would have been diagnosed, which helped. Getting GD wasn't something I did, which relieved my guilt!

And baby is now a healthy, bright and happy seven year old. She was a normal size at birth with no further complications. I ate chocolate in the hospital after the birth and it was delicious.

#6 mill85

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:53 PM

Hey MontyMumma,

I am another due in June who has been given the news i have GD. I found out about 3 weeks ago and i'm in the swing of it now. At first i was really irritated and frustrated by the whole thing but once you get used to it it is alright. This is my fourth baby but first time with it. So far I have managed with diet and slightly increased exercise (34 weeks this week) and hoping it stays like that. On the plus side i have lost a few kgs and feel really well from my super clean eating!! Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

#7 Jenflea

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:37 PM

I had it with DD 9 years ago.

The diet was a pain but kept my sugars controlled but DD's were all over the shop when she was born so she was given tiny sips of formula from a tiny cup in between feeds to help her stabilise her levels.

I still went on to breastfeed her for 3 years so don't panic if your baby needs formula after birth, but if you can try to express before the birth to take to the hospital. I couldn't get a drop of milk before birth!

#8 MontyMumma

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for all your positive comments.
My sister also had GD but she had a terrible diet beforehand, whereas I've been really healthy.
I even had someone comment when I told them, "But you're so thin" and even the educator explained that I could have been living on lettuce and walking 10km per day and I would still have gotten it, it's just in my genes.
I've rented an exercise bike to keep me doing my extra exercise once the weather turns.
What I can't get over is the unpredictability of what will make my sugar levels spike, fruit in particular seems to be a real trigger.
A banana and milk had a bigger spike than a hot cross bun??!

#9 a letter to Elise.

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:20 PM

I’ve had it twice, and was really upset the first time. I was slim and fit, and it was totally unexpected. I did feel much better once I started the diet though. you do get used to it quickly

Bananas are very high in carbs, sent my sugar skyrocketing as well! I could only eat half.

Using something like my fitness pal or calorie king helps you keep track of things. Once you have a few simple snacks and meals that you know work for you, it gets much easier.

#10 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:10 PM

Banana's are not really a good food for most GD or diabetic sufferers.  Half a banana has enough carbs to bring you out of low sugar levels.

Grapes, pears, and apples are better.  You can eat a small amount of watermelon just not much.

It is trial and error though.

I have home made pizza made with low carb wraps, grated carrot, zucchini, broccoli, pumpkin, sometimes chicken and cheese.  I also do a home made chicken schnitzel that is lightly coated with polenta (no egg or anything), baked in the oven or cooked in a tiny amount of olive oil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.