(Possibly triggering) A time you got a bad feeling about something and you were right.

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 ERipley

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:06 PM

I love threads like these. I’ll go first.

I was on my way to work at around 8:30am on a bright and sunny morning. I lived in an inner city suburb so there were people around. I had only to walk out my apartment building door, cross the street, walk through a car park, then around the corner to my bus stop. The car park had people arriving and attendants at entrances on both sides. I felt perfectly safe walking this way every day, especially at this time of day.

So this day I walked out, crossed the road, and this guy was standing at the entrance to the car park. I went to walk past and he looked at me with such intense anger and hatred. I had never seen him before in my life. I kept my distance and went on walking but I started to walk really fast. He started walking really fast after me. I went through the car park and as I came out the other side I started to run towards the bus stop. He ran after me and he was so close I could hear him breathing just behind me. That day the bus pulled up exactly at that moment and I ran up the steps onto the bus. The guy stopped outside and just stood there staring up at me, with this intense hatred. I have no idea what he would have done had the bus not been there. It was broad daylight with people around but he was obviously going to do something.

I guess that’s not a “bad feeling” so much as common sense, but it’s the closest I have. Anyone want to share?

#2 Tetinks

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:19 PM

Yep. Always trust your intuition!

Many years ago I was in the car at a red traffic light, about 7.30pm in winter, so it was dark. I was the only car at the lights. I looked over and saw a man just standing on the side of the road looking at me. I felt sick. I didn’t want to appear frazzled, so tried to ignore him but he felt like quite a menacing presence. Then I saw him charge towards my passenger door. I slammed down the lock just as he reached it but was so freaked out I ran the red light.

I wish I’d hit the lock as soon as I saw him - I didn’t want to appear rude.

ETA: there’s a book about trusting your intuition - The Gift of Fear.
Apparently humans are the only animals that will intuit fear and step into the situation anyway. Fear is there for a reason and we should act accordingly!

Edited by Tetinks, 22 April 2019 - 07:21 PM.

#3 ERipley

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:27 PM

View PostTetinks, on 22 April 2019 - 07:19 PM, said:

I wish I’d hit the lock as soon as I saw him - I didn’t want to appear rude.

This! When that guy started following me it was in the back of my mind to not just run in case this random, menacing stranger on the street was somehow offended. And then the time I was assaulted in an elevator in a shopping centre and didn’t feel it was my right to cause a fuss. Or the times weirdos bothered me on buses. I have found my voice now, partially through stories like these, but that overriding urge to be polite is always there.

#4 PrincessPeach

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:27 PM

My mother does this - it's rather eerie

She knew something was wrong when her own father had a massive heart attack at work (he survived), same again when my dad had a serious workplace accident.

She also had the same bad feeling the day my brother's FIL passed away & two of their neighbours.

#5 ERipley

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:28 PM

I’ve been meaning to read that book for years. I will read it next!

Edited by ERipley, 22 April 2019 - 07:29 PM.

#6 lozoodle

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:30 PM

I was at home one night and the phone rang and I remember thinking "dad's had a heart attack" before the phone was even answered. I have no idea why or how I thought that, but sure enough that's what it was. I was 8. He's still around today. Sill no idea how I knew.

#7 Ozquoll

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:35 PM

A friend’s brother was the classic superficially charming sociopath. Most people liked him when they met him, but I disliked him - and feared him - on sight. I’ve never felt so uncomfortable around another human being in my life. A few years ago we found out he had been sexually abusing several children. I hope there were no other victims, but it would not surprise me if he had abused, or killed, others. A truly malignant person.

#8 ELF_em_bee

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:40 PM

Years and years ago I was supposed to go on a uni harbour cruise.  That afternoon i had an overwhelming feeling of “just don’t go, something bad is going to happen, someone, maybe you, will be physically hurt”.  I had never experienced intuition like that before, or since.  I told my mum about it, thinking I was being stupid but she advised me to go with my gut. I made a lame excuse and the next time I was at uni I asked how it went.  A friend told me, “yeah it was ok, but it ended early because someone got stabbed”.  😲

#9 cardamom

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:43 PM

Around 8 or 9 years ago I was at my parents' place for Easter. Dad had gone away so it was just Mum and I. We'd had visitors for dinner and were out the front of the house waving them off.

As they were getting ready to drive off I looked up the street and saw a man maybe 4 or 5 houses away walking in our direction. There was nothing remotely odd or menacing about him, but I was overcome with a real visceral fear - I felt this desperate need to get inside the house, and grabbed Mum's arm and dragged her inside in a panic, to her bewilderment.

A minute or two after we were inside and I'd locked the doors and was feeling quite silly and paranoid the doorknob started to rattle, obviously from someone testing it/trying to get in. Hid in the bathroom while we waited for the police.

Who knows, maybe it wasn't anything sinister and it was just some random person who accidentally came to the wrong house or something, but I can't remember ever feeling as terrified as I did when I saw him strolling down the street :omg:

#10 Freddie'sMum

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:45 PM

I have the book "The Gift of Fear" and I intend to give it to both our DDs as they get older to remind them to always trust their instincts / intuition about people.

I haven't got any scary stories - mine are mostly I can sum people up within seconds / minutes of meeting them.  Jerk-off bosses were jerk-offs during the interview for the job (but I needed the job).  Different girlfriends would introduce me to their latest boyfriend and my radar would be pinging like mad "this guy's a jerk - you can do so much better than him" and surprise, surprise - the boyfriend turned out to be a total jerk.

Women are always being told that our instincts / intuition are to be laughed at and ridiculed, that we should not trust them - but that's BS.  Always, always, always trust your instincts about people.

#11 StartledFlamingo

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:06 PM

I find these fascinating.

When I was a kid, in early/ mid primary school a friend and I had a really odd scared feeling while playing at the park across the road from her house. When we saw a man watching us mostly hidden behind the bushes we just ran.

Mostly I have no radar though.

#12 rosie28

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:12 PM

I’ve only ever hated two people upon meeting them. Both ended up marrying friends of ours and both turned out to be truely horrible, cruel people. One ended up in jail for sexually assaulting a child, the other lied, cheated and stole from our friend. On both occasions I told my husband what I thought, and a few friends but everyone else thought they were lovely and I ended up feeling insane. I was right and now trust my instincts when I meet people and as I get to know them.

#13 ABabyPlease

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:13 PM

I once arrived home and parked outside my share house. I could see two men knocking on my door and I had this weird feeling about them. I opened the car door and asked them if they were ok. They asked if I lived there and I said no but that I knew the people who do live there.

They soon left and I waited in my car and wrote down their car rego. I then went inside and called the police who really just said "yes dear" and something like, "don't call us, we'll call you". Well thirty minutes later, they rang back saying that the car was stolen and asked me to come to the station to make a statement. Whilst doing this, another copper came in and said that the criminals had been caught and when chased they ran straight towards the police station!!  

They were from out of town and had been breaking into numerous houses in the area and the car boot was full of stolen goods.

#14 Holidayromp

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:20 PM

At the age of 11 I went with Youth group on an excursion.  It was a bright if not somewhat crisp autumn day.

Part of the trip was going 800 metres down a working coal mine. This feeling of extreme cold and foreboding came over me and all I wanted to do was go straight back up

I went back up with a chaperone.

Two weeks later the mine collapsed killing several men.

#15 Future-self

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:39 PM

When I was a teen my sister and I stopped for some cigarettes at a servo quite late at night. It wasn’t on a main street and pretty quiet. We bought them and stopped to flip through the magazines next to the counter with our backs to the walkway and counter . We heard the door buzz and people approaching the counter and suddenly both of us got a cold chill down the back of our necks, shuddered and the hairs stood up on our arms. We looked at each other - and our arms- with a what the face and then turned around to see two young guys near the counter but not approaching it, just staring at us and it all felt just so wrong. We high tailed it out of there and sped away. The servo was robbed later that night by two men matching the general description -and big knives.

We called the police when we heard about it a few days later but they weren’t interested as it had been hours earlier that we had been there. I just know it was them though

Edited by Future-self, 22 April 2019 - 08:40 PM.

#16 Beancat

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:44 PM

I have a really uneasy feeling about the father of one of my daughters friends. My dog also dislikes him....he snarls at him every time he sees him.
My daughter keeps asking to go for sleepovers and I’m fast running out of excuses. I can’t pinpoint it. He’s done nothing wrong but he does push the boundaries with what he says and does in front of the kids. It’s like he’s almost testing me to see if I’ll react

#17 Kallie88

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:46 PM

Honestly i've only ever had a really strong reaction to one person, my step dad, and he absolutely proved my instincts right.

#18 Meepy

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:51 PM

Dh is friendly and trusting whereas I am more cautious. He was working with a man who wanted to visit and meet the kids, which he did. After he'd left I told dh he was never to be near the kids or our house again as he gave me the creeps.  The guy bought some presents for the kids and sent them home with dh, which made me even more suspicious.  
Man then went on holidays overseas to his regular Asian holiday spot and didn't return to work. The rumour was he was in trouble for child sex offences (never confirmed though).  I'm still unsure if it's true but glad I trusted my instincts.

#19 Catticus

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:56 PM

Beancat, trust your gut - and your dog.

You don't need an excuse. No is perfectly fine.

Your daughter might not be happy with that, but you can simply say that you are not comfortable with her having a sleepover there. End of. Don't say why, just have "not going to happen" on repeat.

Today DH tells me that someone I have never trusted (and then found out that was a well founded lack of trust) and who took great delight in attempting to shaft people for her own advantage is running for election - as a One Nation candidate.

Gut instinct proven accurate again.

#20 FEdeRAL

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:58 PM

View PostBeancat, on 22 April 2019 - 08:44 PM, said:

I have a really uneasy feeling about the father of one of my daughters friends. My dog also dislikes him....he snarls at him every time he sees him.
My daughter keeps asking to go for sleepovers and I’m fast running out of excuses. I can’t pinpoint it. He’s done nothing wrong but he does push the boundaries with what he says and does in front of the kids. It’s like he’s almost testing me to see if I’ll react

Tell your daughter that she can have sleepovers, at YOUR house!!

#21 Ozquoll

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:03 PM

View PostBeancat, on 22 April 2019 - 08:44 PM, said:

....but he does push the boundaries with what he says and does in front of the kids. It’s like he’s almost testing me to see if I’ll react
The person I referred to in my post did this too. I once heard him say something horribly inappropriate about an eight year old, in front of both the child and the child’s parents. I was shocked and angry, but he’d got them used to hearing outrageous things and they didn’t tell him off.

#22 Beancat

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:07 PM

Thanks PPs. Yes I think we will focus the sleepovers at our place or avoid altogether.
It’s really hard as he has the type of job that is seen as very trustworthy and is vocally against pedophiles BUT He doesn’t respect the kids personal space....always asking for hugs and kisses and my daughter does not like it at all

#23 petal71

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:09 PM

I remember a feeling of dread on a school trip when I was about 10 to Harrods in London. Shortly after we left they evacuated it due to a bomb threat, but I don't think there was a real bomb on that occasion. There have been others since and was also one ten years before, so perhaps I picked up on anxiety around the whole idea of a Harrods school trip from the adults around.

Other than that my radar is bloody terrible (apart from generally creepy or repulsive ppl). My dad used to implore me to write letters to Jimmy Saville so I could go on Jim'll Fix It, but I refused due to shyness rather than having any particularly negative feeling about him per se. Thank god though!!

#24 Beancat

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:09 PM

Ozquoll. That is really scary. Is it a type of grooming maybe? This thread really has me thinking. I’ve mentioned it to my husband and he thinks I’m over reacting

#25 Ozquoll

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:14 PM

View PostBeancat, on 22 April 2019 - 09:09 PM, said:

Ozquoll. That is really scary. Is it a type of grooming maybe? This thread really has me thinking. I’ve mentioned it to my husband and he thinks I’m over reacting
It could be the behaviour of someone who (innocently) loves kids but doesn’t realise where the boundaries are, but it is DEFINITELY also the sort of behaviour predators engage in - and it’s not really worth the risk of finding out which one he is. Plus, your dog hates him, and that’s rather telling....

EDIT - my first sentence was a bit unclear - I was referring to your DD’s friend’s Dad. The abuser I knew - the nasty comments were a type of grooming for both parents and child, seeing how far he could push things.

Edited by Ozquoll, 22 April 2019 - 09:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.