Europe in winter - footwear for kids?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Lifesgood

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:35 PM

Like the title says, what shoes/boots would you take for kids - a 13 y/o girls and 9 y/o boy - to wear around Europe in December and January. We will spend a couple of weeks in a ski resort where I will hire them apres boots.

I don't feel running shoes are going to be adequate for the remainder of the time - so what did/would you get for kids?

Also, while we're here - down jackets - are Uniqlo ones warm enough or should we look at more expensive brands?

ETA - we will be travelling through Northern Europe as well as the UK.

Edited by Lifesgood, 22 April 2019 - 05:37 PM.

#2 lizzzard

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:56 PM

Where are you going in Northern Europe? We were in Russia this December/Jan and have similar aged kids. They didn’t feel the cold too much until it got below -10 or so. Our strategy was layering - I’d say the uniqulo down jacket with a fleece jacket underneath, plus jumper and thermals would be fine for most days. Beanie , gloves and scarf were also pretty important.

We had Christmas in Canada ‘on the way’ and picked up boots there which were great. I would probably recommend proper boots as I had boots that were fine from my years in the UK but didn’t really cut it for walking on snowy footpaths for more than 30 mins at a time.

Edited by lizzzard, 22 April 2019 - 05:56 PM.

#3 ENCB

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:07 PM

I would just buy some snow boots (I assume that is what you mean by apres boots) and get them to wear them the whole time. We used to live in Canada and that’s essentially what kids wear the whole winter (especially the younger ones). Running shoes will not be adequate. With respect to jackets - do you have ski jackets? If so, then I think you could wear them - and just later depending on the temp - in that case the uniqlo ones are probably ok

#4 Lifesgood

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:17 PM

Maybe these would do for DS?

https://www.mountain...2657.aspx/teal/

DD is actually in the same size shoe as me so I probably need to get her similar to what I wear - a pair of Ecco waterproof walking shoes and a pair of apres (snow) boots.

#5 mumworkingos

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:20 PM

Lands end do great winter boots for kids and adults that are waterproof and have an inbuilt heated lining. I walked all over Europe in mine during winter and my feet were toasty.

We got our kids down jackets from Kathmandu. They always seem to have regular sales.

#6 Jersey Caramel

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:28 PM

We were in Europe last winter and I'd recommend buying them the snow/apres boots and they can just wear them the whole time.  We got ours from Mountain Warehouse in one of their regular 50% off sales and they were great. Our kids had the snow boots and their sneakers and we let them choose what to wear - two of them were happy in sneakers the majority of the time and one,  who feels the cold more,  wore his snow boots.  I wore my snow boots a lot of the time too!

#7 Lifesgood

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:28 PM

View Postlizzzard, on 22 April 2019 - 05:56 PM, said:

Where are you going in Northern Europe? We were in Russia this December/Jan and have similar aged kids. They didn’t feel the cold too much until it got below -10 or so. Our strategy was layering - I’d say the uniqulo down jacket with a fleece jacket underneath, plus jumper and thermals would be fine for most days. Beanie , gloves and scarf were also pretty important.

We had Christmas in Canada ‘on the way’ and picked up boots there which were great. I would probably recommend proper boots as I had boots that were fine from my years in the UK but didn’t really cut it for walking on snowy footpaths for more than 30 mins at a time.
We will be in Denmark, Germany, Czech Republic and Northern Italy.

#8 Lifesgood

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:30 PM

View PostJersey Caramel, on 22 April 2019 - 06:28 PM, said:

We were in Europe last winter and I'd recommend buying them the snow/apres boots and they can just wear them the whole time.  We got ours from Mountain Warehouse in one of their regular 50% off sales and they were great. Our kids had the snow boots and their sneakers and we let them choose what to wear - two of them were happy in sneakers the majority of the time and one,  who feels the cold more,  wore his snow boots.  I wore my snow boots a lot of the time too!
Ha! The ones I linked above are Mountain Warehouse. The prices are terrific.

#9 mumworkingos

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:36 PM

View PostLifesgood, on 22 April 2019 - 06:17 PM, said:

DD is actually in the same size shoe as me so I probably need to get her similar to what I wear - a pair of Ecco waterproof walking shoes and a pair of apres (snow) boots.

One of our children had similar boots and never complained of cold or wet feet.

I have some Ecco boots that are leather with a goretex membrane, wedge heel and an inbuilt heat sock if you are looking for something nicer than a snow boot.

#10 born.a.girl

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:38 PM

I love Mountain Warehouse - wish they had shops here.  Have just got myself a 'pocket' waterproof which is much better than anything I saw here.

I might even have looked up where their stores are in Canada - there's one in Calgary and we have a free-ish day there.

By the way, they have a big internet sale ends today, presumably their time, though.

#11 Moo point

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:39 PM

View PostLifesgood, on 22 April 2019 - 06:17 PM, said:

I had a pair almost identical to this for me. Sprayed with Scotchguard before we left for extra protection, wore them at a ski resort and stayed toasty! We were in Europe for Christmas and NY.

DS had a pair of leather boots from Pablosky, worn with thick thermal socks they were fine. And I bought him a down jacket from Macpac on special, wore a fleece and thermals underneath. I can highly recommend lined trousers with thermal pants, too - I got his thermals from Macpac (multipack) and trousers from Next. Uniqlo have some lined pants at the moment, worth a look.

Edited by Moo point, 22 April 2019 - 06:40 PM.

#12 SeaPrincess

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:40 PM

We got similar for our children. We went to the snow in Scotland (but not actually skiing) and they were great. We got jackets from Kathmandu when they were on sale.

#13 Lifesgood

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:41 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 22 April 2019 - 06:38 PM, said:

I love Mountain Warehouse - wish they had shops here.  Have just got myself a 'pocket' waterproof which is much better than anything I saw here.

I might even have looked up where their stores are in Canada - there's one in Calgary and we have a free-ish day there.

By the way, they have a big internet sale ends today, presumably their time, though.
Same. But I have bought stuff online from them before and everything has worked out fine. The prices are so good it almost doesn't matter if you get the odd dud that doesn't fit.

They have sales regularly (like Kathmandhu) so I'll wait for the next one.

We get our thermals from them.

Actually DD needs a new waterproof - I'll add that to the list.

#14 Lifesgood

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:44 PM

Think I'll get these for DD.

https://www.mountain...202.aspx/black/

And a pair of Ecco Goretex walking shoes the same as mine. The pink ones are reduced at the moment, she might like those.

And for DS I'll get the boots I linked earlier plus a pair of lace-up walking shoes for warmer places.

#15 mumworkingos

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:45 PM

I second Macpac thermals for children. Toasty warm and much easier to wash regularly than wool thermals. You can also throw them in the dryer.

#16 mumworkingos

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:49 PM

The lands end boots I referred to are on special for AUD66.

#17 seayork2002

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:25 PM

In winter in the UK we just wore normal shoes like I saw all the locals wearing there, some people wore leather type boots.

And just normal coats with a jumper underneath

#18 Lifesgood

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:37 PM

Yeah I'm not too worried about the UK, we lived there previously. Its northern Europe which has serious cold.

#19 smithsholidayroad

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:14 AM

We spent last Christmas in Lapland and Sweden, Finland, Estonia and Latvia.

I had Sorel boots from Adventure Megastore as did my eldest son.

Daughter had columbia boots.

MY youngest had boots from Mountain warehouse, the cheapest out of all of us and he complained the least about the cold!

I've got lots of info on my blog about layers and weather if that helps

https://smithsholida...family-holiday/

Bron

#20 Dianalynch

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:40 AM

I would go with a warmer jacket from Kathmandu or similar - I don't find the uniqlo ones to be warm enough.

#21 dadwasathome

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:03 PM

View PostDianalynch, on 23 April 2019 - 11:40 AM, said:

I would go with a warmer jacket from Kathmandu or similar - I don't find the uniqlo ones to be warm enough.
Our experience visiting the US has been that uniqlo adapts its range to local markets. They have stuff in the US that is way too warm for Australia. I’d expect the same in other cold locations.

I love my black leather waterproof mid hiking boots for cold city weather travelling, and not bad for hiking in warmer weather either. I bought a hooded waterproof underarmour jacket in the US that is so warm I've only worn it 2-3 times since in Sydney, usually standing at mid-winter soccer training.

Edited by dadwasathome, 23 April 2019 - 12:33 PM.

#22 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:28 PM

We did Switzerland and St Moritz area in the Snow boots purchased from Aldi. I still wear them to the snow here.

Very cheap in the Aldi Ski sale. DH even wore his pair in Mongolia in December and Arctic Circle in February.

#23 EmmDasher

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:40 PM

We did Japan and their ski fields and we all just wore snow boots all the time. The kids had the Aldi ones and found them fine. They had Aldi thermals too.

Four year old DD had a down jacket from Zara and one year old DD has a down jacket from Tumble n Dry. I had a lady knit them each a woolen vest so they wore long sleeve thermal, vest and then jacket. They were both totally fine and never cold and we’re from Qld so not particularly cold weather hardy. I really struggled for good jackets in Qld summer for those age ranges. It was a tough ask getting anything.

#24 eachschoolholidays

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:27 PM

We bought lined boots for the kids at the Aldi sale. I also bought thermal socks. DS loved them but DD found they made her feet too hot.

#25 born.a.girl

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:54 AM

View Posteachschoolholidays, on 23 April 2019 - 01:27 PM, said:

We bought lined boots for the kids at the Aldi sale. I also bought thermal socks. DS loved them but DD found they made her feet too hot.

Were the thermal socks from Aldi, or elsewhere?

I have Raynaud's and it doesn't matter what, my feet (and hands) will be painfully cold if it's not actually hot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.