UPDATE Living next to a community tennis court - madness? Yep, not moving there.

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Moo point

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:57 AM

We have looked at a unit for sale and really like it. It's in a very large strata complex, there is a tennis court for residents to use that the unit's balcony overlooks. While we were inspecting a young family was using the court but barely hit a few balls while supervising their toddler riding a scooter. The noise didn't even register.

We checked out the tennis court booking sheet, for the whole week there were only 3 x 1hr timeslots booked. And the court is only allowed to be used between 7am and dusk. However it was the first week of the school holidays and Easter weekend, so maybe lots of people away.

I'm wondering if the noise of social games of tennis would drive me completely bonkers?!

Edited by Moo point, 27 April 2019 - 03:44 PM.

#2 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:05 AM

I reckon you'd just get used to it. And/or join in!

#3 nom_de_plume

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:20 AM

No I don't think it would.

I used to live next door to two clay tennis courts. They got used pretty much daily when the weather was good and the clientele was mostly retirees/pensioners having a social hit in the middle of the weekdays. Our dogs were the beneficiary of the occasional tennis ball that came over the fence.

#4 Moo point

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:23 AM

View PostNot Escapin Xmas, on 22 April 2019 - 08:05 AM, said:

I reckon you'd just get used to it. And/or join in!

DH is looking forward to it, me I can't play tennis for quids!

View Postnom_de_plume, on 22 April 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

No I don't think it would.

I used to live next door to two clay tennis courts. They got used pretty much daily when the weather was good and the clientele was mostly retirees/pensioners having a social hit in the middle of the weekdays. Our dogs were the beneficiary of the occasional tennis ball that came over the fence.

That's good to know. We don't have a dog but our 6 year old would enjoy fetching the balls :) I guess because it's not a club or commercial court it wouldn't get used as much? We do spend most weekends at home so I was worried the constant noise of balls being hit would be annoying. The unit has so much going for it otherwise.

Edited by Moo point, 22 April 2019 - 09:23 AM.

#5 Gudrun

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:40 AM

I think it would be a huge bonus. I love the sight and sound of tennis courts.

The pleasure and leisure and something to watch when people are playing.

#6 somila

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:41 AM

No.  How lovely.

#7 born.a.girl

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:54 AM

I think you'd be fine.  If the thwack of the tennis ball did ever start to annoy you, it IS possible to reframe it in your own mind.

I had that with neighbour's daughter, ironically using our basketball hoop, in front of their  house, which was elevated above the room I used as an office.

The thunk, thunk, thunk started to annoy me as I was trying to concentrate on something, which I knew was irrational, so I tried to reframe it (don't like buzz words, but can't think of anything better) as a picture of her enjoying herself.  It really worked.

It's the noise in isolation which can be annoying.

Sounds like you're on a winner - you might even develop a love for it yourself.

#8 Moo point

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:30 AM

Aww thanks everyone. Reframing it is a good idea. I think because I've been renting for so many years, and been burned by some horrid neighbours/issues, I automatically look for the negative. And thinking we're going to be dropping $$$ to buy a place means I'm even more nervous! But it would be nice for DS to have lots of play options.

#9 Silverstreak

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:45 AM

I think it's a bonus. We live opposite a school and sure, it's busy during the day, but only between certain hours and at night our street is lovely and quiet, as it has half the houses a standard street has.

#10 ali-song

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:59 AM

As long as there aren’t lights, I think it would be fine. I love the sound of a tennis ball being thwacked back and forth.

#11 MooGuru

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:29 PM

I think you'd get used to it and I quite like the sound of people enjoying themselves (I lived next door to a playground and netball courts for a while). If the noise did start to annoy me if close the door/window.

I stopped really hearing it after a while.

#12 Octopodes

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:30 PM

It would drive me nuts if it was used regularly. I would have to really, really like the unit to be able to look past it.

#13 Moo point

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:43 PM

View PostOctopodes, on 22 April 2019 - 01:30 PM, said:

It would drive me nuts if it was used regularly. I would have to really, really like the unit to be able to look past it.

This is what I'm worried about.

We went and had another look today, there's more sun than I thought on the balcony (which is a good thing), short walk to a reserve with playground and grassy oval for DS to play, two outdoor pools. It's amazing. But I had a look at the sign up sheet for the tennis court. Looks like the same people play for 2-3 hours every Saturday and Sunday morning, plus there's a social game for anyone to join in from 9am to 1pm on Fridays. These are the days I'm home - so that's a solid 10 hours of tennis over 3 days every week, plus I don't know how busy it gets during a normal school/work week.

So hard, because there are so many positives. But we are homebodies, DS has additional needs so we spend a lot of time at home. A lot to think about!

#14 tenar

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:50 PM

I think this would be a big bonus for your DS over the next several years.  He'll be able to use the court to play on with his friends (downball is big at our school, but there are heaps of ball games to play) and you'll be able to keep an eye/ear out for them at the same time, without being overly obtrusive about it.

Realistically, if you live in suburbia there will be noise from neighbours.  It's just the way it is living near other people.  I wouldn't worry about it at all.

#15 Jersey Caramel

Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:11 PM

I don't think tennis is so loud that you couldn't just shut the doors/windows and put on some music if it was really driving you mad? I think it sounds like the positives outweigh the negatives. At least the tennis will be confined to daylight hours,  unlike lots of other annoying neighbourhood noises.

#16 lozoodle

Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:24 PM

No I think it would be fine. We used to live in a townhouse complex and the tennis court was directly behind our place. I honestly can't remember ever being disturbed by it. You will find really it probably doesn't get used a whole lot.

#17 seayork2002

Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:45 PM

Next door no I probably would not, as for use DH and his siblings lived around the corner from a pool complex when they were growing up it was hardly used by them.

We lived in a unit complex for two years that had a pool we used it less than 10 times probably.

Of course they do get used by lots of people! regularly but I just would not assume it will be used just because it is there.

The noise may or may not bother us if we did it but I have the windows open all the time in summer and a little in winter I am not living in a place if I have to have the windows closed because of noise

#18 luke's mummu

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:10 PM

I know you said you are homebodies, but as your DS gets older you may find you are home less during the day. My DS 13 and 9 years hardly ever play in our backyard during the school term, we just aren’t home enough

#19 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:21 PM

I wouldn't like it on the weekends.  The ball noise and if the player is a grunter would drive me mental.

#20 Pink Flamingo

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:30 PM

We used to live next door to a tennis club with about 5 courts. The noise never registered come to think of it. The street was busier on Saturdays but nothing to complain about. The social players during the week never bothered us either.It sounds like the positives outweigh the negatives in your circumstances op, good luck with your decision!

#21 born.a.girl

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:48 PM

View PostJersey Caramel, on 22 April 2019 - 03:11 PM, said:

I don't think tennis is so loud that you couldn't just shut the doors/windows and put on some music if it was really driving you mad? I think it sounds like the positives outweigh the negatives. At least the tennis will be confined to daylight hours,  unlike lots of other annoying neighbourhood noises.

Yes, it could be an opportunity for the OP and her son to discover music they like together, IF the noise is intrusive.

I think you would get used to it the way I got used to traffic on a busy road.  When we moved, the silence was a bit disconcerting.

I have hear noise from a primary school 1k away but they make a (nice) racket as they let off steam.  Also never hear the train whistle fifteen houses away because my brain has filed it as 'irrelevant'.

Really, at worst, and it's hard to imagine this being needed, noise cancelling headphones if there's ever a day where there's a screecher - heaven forbid.  I suspect the other home owners would be complaining too.

#22 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:50 PM

I lived years ago on a level 4 apartment above the communal tennis court and BBQ. I never noticed any noise from the tennis and about only 2 BBQs in the 2yrs I lived there.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 22 April 2019 - 04:50 PM.

#23 Moo point

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:34 PM

Thank you all so much for your input. It's nice to know that the noise hasn't bothered others, and yes there are quite a number of units surrounding the tennis court (all occupied) so if there was any untoward noise I think they'd be on top of it.

It really is a lovely sounding community, and DH is in the process of contacting our solicitor and bank to get the ball rolling. Possibly making an offer. Eeek!

I went a little nuts at DH about the amount of stuff needed to do, the possible issues with the court etc and he asked if this was me expressing my anxiety about making such a big decision. And it is. I moved out of home at 18, I'm now 44, and have been renting all that time. I have trouble making decisions from a restaurant menu, so no wonder I'm a bit over the place.

DS absolutely loves the place, and it will be in the zone for the school I want him to move to. Now to see what happens this week.

Thank you all again xx

#24 Romeo Void

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:45 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 22 April 2019 - 09:54 AM, said:

I think you'd be fine.  If the thwack of the tennis ball did ever start to annoy you, it IS possible to reframe it in your own mind.

I had that with neighbour's daughter, ironically using our basketball hoop, in front of their  house, which was elevated above the room I used as an office.

The thunk, thunk, thunk started to annoy me as I was trying to concentrate on something, which I knew was irrational, so I tried to reframe it (don't like buzz words, but can't think of anything better) as a picture of her enjoying herself.  It really worked.

It's the noise in isolation which can be annoying.

Sounds like you're on a winner - you might even develop a love for it yourself.
I love that idea born.a.girl  I think I've done something similar with where we live now.  It's a busy main rd but to us the noise has become background, almost soothing like ocean noise.  We're 3km from the City Centre and sometimes the traffic gets more intense or I hear sirens and I think of big cities like New York and the pulsing and rush of such dynamic places. It makes me feel enervated.

#25 Moo point

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:04 PM

View PostRomeo Void, on 22 April 2019 - 06:45 PM, said:

I love that idea born.a.girl  I think I've done something similar with where we live now.  It's a busy main rd but to us the noise has become background, almost soothing like ocean noise.  We're 3km from the City Centre and sometimes the traffic gets more intense or I hear sirens and I think of big cities like New York and the pulsing and rush of such dynamic places. It makes me feel enervated.

Interestingly our current place is basically on a freeway, and I remember worrying about the traffic noise when we moved in - 10 years ago! The place we're considering is in a quiet place surrounded by trees and fauna, no traffic - I'm actually worried it will be too quiet at times :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.