Board games for kids

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Mumma3

Posted 21 April 2019 - 01:34 PM

What are your favourite family board games?

I’ve been doing a cull of our old board games, as my youngest is almost 15 and I really think it’s time to farewell the “Green Eggs and Ham game” and it’s friends!

But each one I come across reminds me of the different stages the kids were at, who was good at each one, which ones the kids could easily win without me letting them....
There are some I will keep for nephews and friends who might come over, and others which are good for all ages.

My favourites (that I can’t farewell just yet) are Pictureka, card games like UNO (which we still play, and always take on holiday), Blokus, And of course Cluedo, Scrabble, Boggle,  Monopoly (we have 3 versions!!), Risk and more recently Settlers of Catan. So many more, I might just put them all back in the cupboard for a rainy afternoon 😉

#2 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 21 April 2019 - 02:35 PM

I think that Sequence would be an across-ages favourite here.

#3 tenar

Posted 21 April 2019 - 02:51 PM

Keepers for me are:

Set
Uno
Ludo (nice with little ones)
Chess/draughts
And the good old pack of cards...

#4 Caribou

Posted 21 April 2019 - 02:58 PM

Keeps are

Monopoly
UNO
Cluedo
Trivia Pursuit
Chess.

#5 Ghost Girl

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:15 PM

Game of life is a fav in our house, two versions plus the ipad version.

#6 spr_maiden

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:49 PM

HP cluedo is spread across the dining table as we speak.

Other faves atm:
UNO
Sequence
Spot it
Sushi go
Labrinyth Maze

Monopoly was banned last year due to the frequent cheating n tears. It is yet to resurface.

#7 Etcetera

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:58 PM

We love board games and have several hundred. Our favourites at the moment are

DS11 - Century Golem
DS13 - TMNT Shadows of the Past
DD6 - Indigo
Me - Alhambra

Rat a tat cat gets a lot of love here too.

#8 JomoMum

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:03 PM

Our 5 year is obsessed with snakes and ladders! And Guess Who.

#9 Mumma3

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:03 PM

View Postspr_maiden, on 21 April 2019 - 03:49 PM, said:

Monopoly was banned last year due to the frequent cheating n tears. It is yet to resurface.

So true about monopoly. One of my kids loved being banker, but I have suspicions he wouldn’t rate highly if the Royal Commission has extended to a Monopoly bankers!!!

#10 HighlandPinky

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:56 PM

Carcassonne is a favourite in this house.  As well as rummykin.  Also quite fond of the scene it games.... Particularly the Harry Potter version

#11 kim11

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:17 AM

Our new favourite is Sushi Go.

Does anyone have suggestions for a game which requires thought and planning for a teen boy? He hates games of chance based on the cards you get etc. But surprisingly he likes charades because he has to think. Any other ideas?

Monopoly is a good one but he just hoardes money and won't buy properties which can make it boring if there aren't many players.

#12 -Emissary-

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:17 AM

I have many but at the moment we’re playing:
1) Tickets to Ride
2) Settlers of Catans - we got two expansions
3) Exploding Kittens
4) Munchkin
5) Sushi Go

#13 hunter4

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:13 AM

Oh geeze we have so many these days.  My favourites in no particular order are:

Settlers of Catan,
Carcassonne
Takenoko
Castle Panic
Pandemic
Forbidden Island
Ticket to ride
Five tribes
Harbour
Fury of Dracula
Flash Point fire rescue

#14 Octopodes

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:42 AM

We mostly play card games. Our current favourites are

Exploding kittens
Bears v babies
Evolution
Carcassonne
Loot
Sleeping queens

#15 Caribou

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:23 AM

View Postkim11, on 22 April 2019 - 12:17 AM, said:

Does anyone have suggestions for a game which requires thought and planning for a teen boy? He hates games of chance based on the cards you get etc. But surprisingly he likes charades because he has to think. Any other ideas?

Monopoly is a good one but he just hoardes money and won't buy properties which can make it boring if there aren't many players.

HobbyCo shops have a lot of board games requiring stragetic thinking. There’s also a board game website I love called afternoonfied.

https://www.afternoonified.com.au

#16 lozoodle

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:29 AM

Frequents in this house are monopoly, game of life, scrabble, scattegories, Cluedo and uno

#17 onetrick

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:15 AM

Risk is one my DH loves and he and his friends have been playing since their teenage years. We have the iPad and dr who versions, but the original is good.
If he likes quiz things then the 'bet on it' version of trivial pursuit is fun as you 'bet' on the likelihood of other players getting a question right after seeing the category- makes it more even if playing against younger people with different interests...

#18 LucyGoose

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:22 AM

Games that we now play,  after I posted on here for advice,  are Sushi Go,  Exploding Kittens and Sequence.

#19 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:03 AM

View PostMumma3, on 21 April 2019 - 11:03 PM, said:

So true about monopoly. One of my kids loved being banker, but I have suspicions he wouldn’t rate highly if the Royal Commission has extended to a Monopoly bankers!!!
There is now a Monopoly Cheaters Edition.

#20 spr_maiden

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:47 AM

^ haha,  this will have to be on the list of games to buy next.

#21 spr_maiden

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:49 AM

*also, off to google exploding kittens..*

#22 Pink Flamingo

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:13 AM

My kids are still young but I’ve enjoyed teaching them to play connect 4, guess who, snap. Operation is fun too! I might did out the UNO cards and start teaching DS1 to play.

#23 cvbn

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:48 AM

Organ Attack, my lot, aged 4 to 21 play it together.

#24 BadCat

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:55 AM

We keep coming back to:

Risk
Settlers of Catan (with a bunch of add ons)
Carcasonne
Power Grid
Puerto Rico
Ticket to Ride
Make Five
Quiddler
Pass the Pigs

We still have Monopoly and Stockmarket but they rarely get played.  There's a bunch of others that I really should clear out.  I should sell some of them that were quite expensive but we ended up not really liking.

#25 Dianalynch

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:59 AM

He might enjoy Settlers of Catan, if you hoard your cards you run the risk of losing them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.