Toaster / kettle options

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: Brand name kettle / toaster (50 member(s) have cast votes)

Is buying a brand name kettle / toaster worth it?

1. Yes (10 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. No (17 votes [34.00%])

Percentage of vote: 34.00%

3. Maybe (23 votes [46.00%])

Percentage of vote: 46.00%

How long is reasonable to expect a kettle/toaster to live?

1. Just the warranty period (5 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. 3 - 5 years (16 votes [32.00%])

Percentage of vote: 32.00%

3. 5 - 7 years (23 votes [46.00%])

Percentage of vote: 46.00%

4. Forever (6 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Riotproof

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:06 AM

I am trying to decide what to replace my toaster with, and I’m wondering if I should just pop along to Kmart or similar and just buy their brand.

Dh has also noted that the kettle is rusting, so I’m wondering if I should replace at the same time.

Thoughts?

#2 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:12 AM

We have a 4 slice Kambrook toaster. Had it a few years, it's still going strong. Waiting for it to die, so we can get something smaller.

We have a SMEG kettle which I love. Except some of the stickers have fallen off. Had it for about 4 years.

#3 Ozquoll

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:22 AM

In the last year our kettle rusted out and I managed to set the toaster alight so it stopped working. We started boiling water in a saucepan and filling a Thermos jug up, and using the grill to toast bread. It’s been at least six months since we started doing this and we don’t want to buy a kettle or toaster now - it would just mean more expense and less benchspace.

#4 Riotproof

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:30 AM

I definitely need to replace them. Ds can independently make his own toast this way. The kettle is for me, but still I can’t do away with it.

#5 MooGuru

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:56 AM

I've had my Breville glass kettle for somewhere between 7-9 years.
We are onto our third under $60 toaster for that same time period.

#6 WTFJerk

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:01 PM

I think we are into year 15 of a $20 toaster.  Nothing flash but does the job.

I have a stovetop kettle that my mother bought me.  I’d like to replace it with an electric benchtop to get the clutter off the stove

#7 Inkogneatoh

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:26 PM

We bought a matching set from Kmart earlier this year. No issues so far, but we have only had them a couple of months.

This style only in a "Almond" which they don't seem to have on line:
https://www.kmart.co...---mint/2140329
https://www.kmart.co...--green/2138819

Our old toaster was a brand name and was still working after about 9 years. But Mum had it in her mind that we needed a new one for the new kitchen.

#8 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:39 PM

We recently replaced our toaster. I think I purchased the last one when my 2nd child was starting to eat toast too. We went from a 2 slice to 4 slice toaster. DS2 is about to turn 12.

Our toaster we replaced was a Breville one and purchased a new Breville one. It was about a $120 one which was one sale, but as it was floor stock and no box we paid only $60 for it.

Our Kettle (not often used) we got as a wedding present 16 years ago. It was also a Breville.

#9 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 21 April 2019 - 01:39 PM

How about this one?

https://www.harveyno...is-my-love.html

#10 Riotproof

Posted 21 April 2019 - 01:55 PM

Yeah nah. If I’m spending that much on a toaster, it would really need to earn its keep.

#11 Red Sparrow

Posted 21 April 2019 - 02:47 PM

These ones are awesome!

https://www.kmart.co...---white/702825

https://www.kmart.co...---white/702827

View Post22Fruitmincepies, on 21 April 2019 - 01:39 PM, said:

Omg do people actually spend that much on a toaster lol.

#12 born.a.girl

Posted 21 April 2019 - 04:02 PM

The problem with this sort of discussion, is that most of us have had $20 jobs that have lasted forever, and expensive ones that have expired along with the warranty period.  I do think that the more you pay, generally the better the quality, but we've all had enough exceptions to make us second guess ourselves.

We had an 'emergency' blender - $20 on special at Coles because I use one a lot, and it only recently gave out, after over 15 years.  I now have another basic one from an EB member, and it's still going strong.

We got a smeg toaster after the previous cheapie didn't last long, and it had a problem (only one side working) just after the warranty period.

I contacted their service centre (min $65 plus a return trip on citylink - twice) and they not only replaced it, they delivered the replacement.

I keep hoping our basic kettle will die so I can get a matching smeg kettle but it keeps on chugging on.

#13 Riotproof

Posted 21 April 2019 - 04:19 PM

Born a girl, I’m so with you. I feel like the use it for xyz and then bin it is really not helpful, so I wouldn’t mind paying more assuming it will actually last.

The only thing I really need is that ds can use it and it can take the thick raisin toast. Kettlewise, all I need it to do is boil. I have noted that red isn’t in vogue anymore, so i’m not sure what my second colour choice would be.

#14 Lou-bags

Posted 21 April 2019 - 04:40 PM

Our Breville toaster and kettle finally both kicked the proverbial in the last year. We’d had them for probably 8 years, heavily used.

I’ve bought the Russell Hobbs Legacy kettle and matching 4 slice toaster in charcoal - on sale half price at BigW recently. Love them so far. I was about to get a Kmart kettle and matching toaster (I think around $40 each) when I saw the Russell Hobbs on special.

#15 born.a.girl

Posted 21 April 2019 - 04:58 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 21 April 2019 - 04:19 PM, said:

Born a girl, I’m so with you. I feel like the use it for xyz and then bin it is really not helpful, so I wouldn’t mind paying more assuming it will actually last.

The only thing I really need is that ds can use it and it can take the thick raisin toast. Kettlewise, all I need it to do is boil. I have noted that red isn’t in vogue anymore, so i’m not sure what my second colour choice would be.

I must say the toast lifter on the smeg is very elegant!

Our previous toaster's eject could be heard from the other end of the house, and one day, I kid you not, it flung the toast into the sink from the bench beside it.  Fortunately the sink was empty.  Imagine your last bit of bread ending up in the soapy suds?

#16 EmmDasher

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:21 PM

We usually had cheap toasters and they had variable lives. The last one I bought was a clearance Dualit 2 slice toaster from eBay courtesy of an EB rec. It’s fine and toasts bread like any other toaster. I got it mainly because I want something durable that will last. It is doing that at present.

Can’t help on the kettle though. Ours broke and we get by without it by either boiling on the stovetop in a small pouring saucepan or in the thermomix.

#17 Tinsilitis

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:32 PM

I did a heap of research last year into a new toaster. I take toast very seriously ;)

I ended up buying a Breville 4 slice toaster which I have been very happy with. Choice had an excellent survey of toasters and this one rated very highly. It cost about $150.

#18 FEdeRAL

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:11 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 21 April 2019 - 04:58 PM, said:

I must say the toast lifter on the smeg is very elegant!

Our previous toaster's eject could be heard from the other end of the house, and one day, I kid you not, it flung the toast into the sink from the bench beside it.  Fortunately the sink was empty.  Imagine your last bit of bread ending up in the soapy suds?

That was what our Russell Hobbs toaster did with single toasts - I used to stand around waiting to “catch” the toast. It was around $40?, had it for more than 15 years and we got tired of waiting for it to die and replaced it with a Breville Smart. With the automatic lifting and lowering function, breakfast is such a civilised affair now.

#19 Octopodes

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:12 PM

We have an old model Breville 'a bit more' toaster and love it. The 'a bit more' button gets a lot of use. It would be coming up on 5 years old (at a guess) and hasn't missed a beat/never burnt the toast.

We have this kettle. It was gorgeous brand new, but the finish gets marked easily and now looks a bit shabby. It does the job and is showing no signs of rust, but it's only a couple of years old. We don't use the kettle very often to be honest.
https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B076JQFF14

#20 spr_maiden

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:29 AM

I kinda want this kettle, though can't work out if it's too w**ky.

https://venezianocof...UBoCtwEQAvD_BwE

What say you EB?
w**ky or sw**ky?

#21 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:35 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 21 April 2019 - 01:55 PM, said:

Yeah nah. If I’m spending that much on a toaster, it would really need to earn its keep.

It would need to make toast, butter it, deliver it to the kids, and clean up afterwards. And make me a coffee, and babysit the kids while I drink it...

#22 Riotproof

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:57 AM

View Postspr_maiden, on 22 April 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

I kinda want this kettle, though can't work out if it's too w**ky.

https://venezianocof...UBoCtwEQAvD_BwE

What say you EB?
w**ky or sw**ky?

So you could programme it to boil at 7am or something? I think that’s worth it

#23 Silver Girl

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:09 PM

We had a Morphy Richards toaster and kettle and the toaster broke a couple of years ago, after about 5 years. We replaced it with this one from Kmart:

https://www.kmart.co...ASABEgJ63_D_BwE

It was $35, looks nice and works fine. It fits thick raisin toast.

I hate the Morphy Richards kettle. It’s noisy and whistles. The whistle is really irritating. Half the time I use a saucepan on the stove instead.

#24 Riotproof

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:13 PM

I’m appreciating the feedback, eb.

Are kettles really noisy? I don’t think I’ve ever had one that I had that problem with.

#25 overlytired

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:13 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 21 April 2019 - 04:19 PM, said:

Have you considered a toaster oven?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.