Do you have a passion?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 76 others

Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:13 PM

I just watched the doco Dawn Wall on netflix and was just in awe at how passionate the main guy is about rock climbing. I just can't imagine being so passionate about something. I have a friend who is horse crazy and I feel the same about her.

I'd love to get fitter than what I am and wish I was passionate about weights or running or a sport but I'm not. It'd make it so much easier if I could live and breathe something. These people just seem to have such a drive. I think im missing that gene. I've tried hobbies and nothing has grabbed me.

So, do you?

#2 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:16 PM

I’ve become quite passionate about sleep... but no, parent-me has no passions. DH does, but I’m still all about surviving each day, I’ve got no room for passions right now.

#3 Ellie bean

Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:18 PM

No, I never have had, except my work I guess. I’m quite happy about that really, I admire people with a passion but I don’t aspire to it if that makes sense.
(I agree with pp on the sleep!)

#4 cvbn

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:13 AM

Yes
Sewing, I adore fabric and patterns
I love planning as much as making
My children enjoy my hobby too. (They enjoy the byproduct) :)

#5 Fourteenyears

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:15 AM

Music.  A day isn’t a good day unless it has some music in it.  And a year isn’t a good year unless some of the music was live.   But that is an easy passion to have.  Passive almost.

Whereas my daughter trains 14 hours a week at a sport that she isn’t even good at.  She will never win medals or ribbons or even team events because she will always be on the ‘B’ team, and only even that if numbers permit.   And yet she loves it and goes back week after week, year after year.  

I don’t get it at all, but I admire it a lot.

#6 OneDayDreamer

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:27 AM

I'm super passionate about my job, which is good cos I do heaps of work at home, haha.
I also love creating stuff with my Cricut, and writing - these two things I don't get enough time to do with kids.
I do wish I had a physical passion - I enjoy obstacle racing but I don't like. get super into training for them, while my husband LOVES training for them and makes a point of excelling in this area.

Edited by OneDayDreamer, 21 April 2019 - 12:27 AM.

#7 Expelliarmus

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:51 AM

Probably Harry Potter ...

#8 Kaz83

Posted 21 April 2019 - 01:48 AM

I am passionate about AFL. I could very easily sit all weekend and watch every game if other commitments allowed. I love the adrenalin of a close game, I love being at live games and the noise of the crowd, I love the feeling when my team wins.
Interestingly, this wasnt a passion handed down to me from family either. I saw a game one day when I was about 10 and was hooked. I dragged my Dad into it and we have now been members for 25 years.
I get a similar feeling watching live bands as well however I havent been able to indulge in that passion as much lately due to budget constraints!!

#9 JaneMummy

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:00 AM

Sleep.  I'm very passionate about sleep.

#10 Charli73

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:29 AM

Nothing at all, so when I have some downtime or DH goes out to lift weights I often don’t know what to do with myself.. I used to love gardening but I’ve lost the drive to do it..

#11 lizzzard

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:33 AM

I think it is a personality thing. Both DH and I have somewhat obsessive tendencies. DH is into body ‘shaping’. He spends almost all his time at the gym, watching videos about diet and exercise, and preparing his food. I worry about it sometimes because I’m not sure it’s healthy (ironically).

I have had various passions over the years, generally lasting 7–8 years each. My two most significant ones were ballet (as a child) and martial arts (from my teens to mid-20s). I feel like I lost a part of myself when I gave them up. For the last 15 years I think it’s safe to say my work has been my passion. I live and breathe my work. It definitely has its benefits (eg financially) but I do wish I could relax and be more balanced sometimes. There are things I think would develop into passions if I gave them a bit of my time. That’s the thing about passions though - they don’t share very well :p

#12 No Drama Please

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:50 AM

I’m not but I love people who are. Especially people who devote their entire lives to the study of one thing (like living in the Amazon to study one type of flower or go into the desert to study a star, or live in Africa to study a specific animal).

I think the mindset you must have to maintain the level of devotion required to follow a passion is just fascinating. No kids no family just you and one specific interest.

I also love the fact I can follow it, nodding along, while lying on the couch eating chips and watching YouTube, rather than experiencing discomfort or making any personal sacrifices myself :)

#13 BadCat

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:02 AM

View PostNo Drama Please, on 21 April 2019 - 06:50 AM, said:

I think the mindset you must have to maintain the level of devotion required to follow a passion is just fascinating. No kids no family just you and one specific interest.

If I had any talent at music then I would happily have been that person.  I would have skipped the traditional kids and family thing and just been a touring muso.

Alas, a lack of any kind of talent means I follow my passions of music and F1 racing pretty passively.  But my devotion to music is such that when I turn up to leadership meetings at work people comment on my lack of earbuds, and people have started doing dance moves as they walk down the corridor towards me because I will be bopping along as I walk.

#14 Catzilla

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:09 AM

Nope.  I've never had any real hobbies or interests either.  Growing up, I was always told, if not in these exact words, that no-one else would ever give a stuff about anything I did or enjoyed, so what was the point.

#15 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:13 AM

Nope!

#16 halcyondays

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:30 AM

Yes, but I jump from passion to passion every 4-5 years or so. I also feel like I’ve lost part of myself when I give it up- usually due to other commitments or other passions requiring more time and energy. In between are a few years of feeling a bit lost.  It used to drive my exH nuts. I see the same in my children. Their father keeps trying to dissuade them from it- sort of like “conserve your energy”.
On the plus side, I’ve found that it makes you the best that you can be at whatever you attempt- having a passion for it, that is. And that’s a pretty good feeling- to take yourself as far as you can go.

#17 Sancti-claws

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:31 AM

I used to - back last century before children.

I would like to say my children are my passion but meh, not so much, more a concern.

I used to also be passionate about work, but it didn't love me back...

#18 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:35 AM

probably my work....maybe not the day to day grind, or the people who are managing atm - but bigger picture - i love what it stands for, and it’s under siege and there are people who work there who fight the good fight.

politics too, maybe.

#19 BadCat

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:51 AM

It makes me sad when people say they don't have one now because of kids and family.

I was that person too.  And I didn't like myself very much for it.

And now that I am the authentic me again I am so much happier.  I can't imagine how I managed so long without music. I must have been so dead inside to be able to keep going like that.  Because I was the little kid who had the tiny toy piano that I used to play with all the time.  I was the kid who sat in my room and sung to an imaginary crowd all afternoon.  I was the teenager who found solace and inspiration in music.  I was the young adult who went to live shows as often as possible, driving from Canberra to Sydney for shows so often it was just no big deal.

And I lost it all when I went down the family road. Just completely lost it.

I will never lose it again.  It is my soul.

Edited by BadCat, 21 April 2019 - 07:52 AM.

#20 Starlia

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:51 AM

My passion is writing fiction. I can't not do it. It is who I am.

Edited by Starlia, 21 April 2019 - 07:52 AM.

#21 Drat

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:55 AM

Music.

I've played an instrument since I was 5. I love playing with others. I don't play much solo at home or practise, but music is a social thing for me, so playing in bands or orchestras or just teaching music.
I'm pretty passionate about teaching too.

I'm also really passionate about water. Anything to do with it. Swimming, surfing, just being in it. Water can make any sadness disappear for me.

#22 kimasa

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:57 AM

Yes. I'm passionate about availability of diverse literature, and I'm passionate about supporting bilingual development and maintaining individual cultural identity in Australia.

They're weird things to be passionate about, but I'm lucky that I'm in a job where I can put that passion into practice. They're my soapbox issues, they're the things where one question can leave me still going an hour later.

#23 Drat

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:00 AM

View PostBadCat, on 21 April 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

It makes me sad when people say they don't have one now because of kids and family.

I completely agree. It's so easy for mums to lose themselves when they have kids. I learnt after my 1st baby that I need to keep part of myself. It can be ridiculously hard at times and might cost me a bit in babysitters, but it's worth it in the long run. I don't want my daughters to look at me and only see 'mum', or that mums lives revolve around their kids.
My mother abandoned any interests and friendships when she had us and now in her late 50s she has nothing other than family.

I wonder how many dads would say the same as many mums would...

#24 BadCat

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:11 AM

View PostDrat, on 21 April 2019 - 08:00 AM, said:

I completely agree. It's so easy for mums to lose themselves when they have kids. I learnt after my 1st baby that I need to keep part of myself. It can be ridiculously hard at times and might cost me a bit in babysitters, but it's worth it in the long run. I don't want my daughters to look at me and only see 'mum', or that mums lives revolve around their kids.
My mother abandoned any interests and friendships when she had us and now in her late 50s she has nothing other than family.

I wonder how many dads would say the same as many mums would...

Oh, I'd say roughly.... 0%.

#25 eponee

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:44 AM

View PostCatzilla, on 21 April 2019 - 07:09 AM, said:

Nope.  I've never had any real hobbies or interests either.  Growing up, I was always told, if not in these exact words, that no-one else would ever give a stuff about anything I did or enjoyed, so what was the point.

This makes me sad :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.