First long haul flight

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 byjingo

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:24 PM

In a few months DH & I will be going on our first long haul flight of 14 hours.

I'm quite worried as I think I will struggle sitting for a long time, my longest flight ever has been around 4hrs.

I would be grateful for any hints or tips.

It will be an overnight flight, so I'm hoping to get a little sleep.

#2 lozoodle

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:48 PM

Take a restavit, go to sleep, wake up in your location :)

#3 seayork2002

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:55 PM

I just spend all my time watching box sets, I do not touch alcohol nor sadly can I sleep,and I drink plenty of water, I take cardigan and wear comfortable clothes

I have no tips to make it a better experience really - I plan to read but never feel like nor the puzzle books I take with me.

#4 born.a.girl

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:49 PM

Look at it this way, if it was so bad, no one would repeat it.

I succumbed to some diazepam last trip, and did manage to get a few bursts of sleep of an hour or two, which made a world of difference.

You will have to wait and see if you are happy to watch movies etc.   I can't 'settle' to them, or reading a book, so it does make the time drag.

Some of us look forward to airline meals in a totally disproportionate way to the expected quality - hooray, something to do!

#5 seayork2002

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:52 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 18 April 2019 - 02:49 PM, said:

Look at it this way, if it was so bad, no one would repeat it.

I succumbed to some diazepam last trip, and did manage to get a few bursts of sleep of an hour or two, which made a world of difference.

You will have to wait and see if you are happy to watch movies etc.   I can't 'settle' to them, or reading a book, so it does make the time drag.

Some of us look forward to airline meals in a totally disproportionate way to the expected quality - hooray, something to do!

This!

It kills time and I so love opening all the little containers! (DS looks at me like am a crazy, but I am used to it)

#6 eachschoolholidays

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:18 PM

I used to find long haul flights almost unbearably tedious.  Virtually claustrophobic.  They were something that had to be endured if I wanted to go anywhere.

Then I started travelling with small kids....

Flights were no longer boring, they were fraught.  My kids were well behaved but it took a lot of effort and energy from me to keep them that way.

Now that the kids are a little older (9 & 7) I find them relatively pleasant. I watch lots of box sets & movies, someone feeds me and brings me a drink, and I sometime nap for an hour or two. Then I am at my destination.

#7 MarciaB

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:24 PM

Decent headphones (that you can rest with) are really valuable.  Noise cancelling ones if you have them (can afford them) are fantastic.

Movies don't work for me on planes - I can't seem to concentrate on the plot lines well.  Short TV series (even the cooking shows/lifestyle/comedy type ones) are better.

Mostly I just listen to music and try to rest.

Take a few warm layers - it gets cold!

#8 littlepickle

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:30 PM

I have a long history of issues with flying and I still do not sleep on flights (well managed 8 minutes on the last leg of a long haul flight recently)
I ‘plan’ my movie watching - log into your airline and you should be able to find the movies and series that will be available on your flight.
I also downloaded two series (last 3 -4 episodes of each) of my favourite shows - this was perfect for the last 3 hours of each long flight where my tolerance levels had just about reached maximum.
You will also find plenty of tips in relation to types of food to eat, staying hydrated and no coffee/ alcohol.
Oh and noise cancelling headphones are just amazing!!!

#9 born.a.girl

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:34 PM

View PostMarciaB, on 18 April 2019 - 03:24 PM, said:

Decent headphones (that you can rest with) are really valuable.  Noise cancelling ones if you have them (can afford them) are fantastic.

Movies don't work for me on planes - I can't seem to concentrate on the plot lines well.  Short TV series (even the cooking shows/lifestyle/comedy type ones) are better.

Mostly I just listen to music and try to rest.

Take a few warm layers - it gets cold!

That's a good tip, I think because I'm trying so hard to use them and books as a distraction, it doesn't work.  I like to snuggle down with a book at home, and I can spend hours doing that.  Must look for the series type ones next time.

A second vote for noise cancelling headphones, and don't skint on them unless you used your last dollar for the holiday.  Got my husband a pair of Bose over the ear ones,  one Christmas when I knew we were doing our first long haul in decades, then got myself an $80 on ear pair.  I lasted about an hour with them, then gave them to the op shop.

You won't believe the difference they make to that endless, bone penetrating drone of the plane, but do be prepared to pay hundreds for them.

#10 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:43 PM

I got heaps of really good advice from here recently when we travelled to the US.

Have a search, there are a few threads.

#11 born.a.girl

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:08 PM

The other thing to mention, is that you may be worried because you found the four hour flight tedious.

Strangely enough, a few months after we came back from our first long haul trip in 30 years, we went to Darwin. I thought we'd never get there.   Reason was I thought 'aha, four hours, fiddlesticks, I've conquered 13.5 hours'.  Instead because my mind thought it would be over before I knew about it, the time dragged much more than the shorter leg (8 x hours) on our overseas trip.

How long does it seem when the train runs 10 mins late?

How long does it seem to take when you're running late for an appointment?

We're off in three weeks on our third in recent years, and it seems to me there's a pretty strong pattern to meal service, too, depending on where you're going.

If you want to state the route and the airline, someone here will know.

I found it helped to think 'o.k. only two hours till we have a meal', then on like that. The first few hours are fine, and the last few are not too bad for me, either - break it down and it seems better.

Lots of walking, too, plenty of people walk up and down the aisles.

#12 Jersey Caramel

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:33 PM

Like a PP, now that my kids are relatively independent (11,8,5) and happy to watch movies for hours on end,  I quite enjoy long haul flights. I am uncontactable, and can watch tv/movies guilt free!

I often find it better to doze off to movies/tv shows I have watched before, rather than try to "sleep". I also always make sure I have some back up entertainment in case the in flight entertainment is broken or not to my taste - I generally download a good podcast series, some shows on Netflix on my phone/ tablet,  and take a book, and a crossword/puzzle book.

The other good thing to try is downloading one of those complete time-sucking phone games - like Candy Crush or Pop Bugs or similar (as long as they can be played offline). I am always shocked at how quickly an hour or two can whizz by when I have been suckered into one of those games (which is why I never play them in normal life!).

I have never taken sleeping pills or alcohol because of still needing to attend to the kids, but I do like to take some items that make me physically more comfortable: eye drops, a nasal spray (this stops your nasal passages from drying out which is uncomfortable and also makes it more likely for viruses to be able to take hold),  lip balm, toothbrush (some airlines supply them), and an intense moisturizer. I always feel a lot better after my little freshen up every couple of hours. Also a good neck pillow - I like the memory foam ones that really support your head.

I also like to have a change of clothes in my bag, with very soft leggings/trackies. Sometimes I change into them and sometimes I don't,  but always good to have in case of spills, or if you just can't get comfy.

Good luck!!

#13 rosie28

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:47 PM

I stock up on kindle books and alternate between reading and watching movies. Bliss!

#14 LucyGoose

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:01 PM

I always take a long cardigan,  that can sort of double as a blanket.
I like to have a small face wash,  tooth brush, moisturiser and lip balm.  They have to be small containers.
I usually load up my iPad with shows,  but also watch the movies on board.   I have noise cancelling headphones from ALDI,  which weren’t expensive and do the job.
I struggle to sleep,  but last time I quite enjoyed some meditation podcasts that were on board (Qantas).

#15 TheGreenSheep

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:28 PM

Last long flight we did I just broke it into chunks. Take off, settle in, meal, drink water toilet, settle in to sleep. I watched tv shows. Listened to music and drift off. I also don’t have any expectations I will sleep, then I’m not disappointed if i don’t. Our family always sleep like the dead on the way home.
Neck pillow, noise cancelling headphones and comfy clothes.

#16 Warey2

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:42 PM

Wear black. When you (inevitability) spill something from one of the tiny trays, you won’t feel like such a grot if you can’t see that it’s spread all over your lap.

#17 tayto...

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:52 PM

Drink lots of water and get up and down as much as you can (the water will force you to the toilet!)
I also find I can’t usually read a book - unless I’m already into it or it’s a re-read
My friend swears by getting changed into PJs (just trackies and comfier top) for helping you sleep
I always like to take a little bag to freshen up before I get off, brush teeth, wash face etc - also another thing to pass the time!!

Edited by tayto..., 18 April 2019 - 07:53 PM.

#18 byjingo

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:27 PM

I’ll probably give the Restavit a pass, if I ever need to take something for hay fever, I give them a miss, I get the worst hangover the next day!

We’re flying Air Canada Bris-Vancouver non-stop.

View PostMarciaB, on 18 April 2019 - 03:24 PM, said:

I’m going to purchase the Aldi ones, but I get motion sickness and DS said these may make this worse. I can’t read in the car, and I even felt a bit sick reading on short flights, so not sure how I’m going to go. I think adrenaline is going to keep me awake.

Thanks for all the tips!

#19 Crazyone26989

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:12 AM

I always take an antihistamine because I get sinus pain when flying. I bring drowsy and non drowsy so I can try to get some sleep if it’s longer than 6 hours/night time.

Comfy clothes are a must. I like something that won’t constrict your middle as I find the airline food very bloating.

14 hours isn’t so bad when you know you aren’t getting on another flight straight after!

#20 2bundles

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:36 AM

Take Phenergan the night before you fly. It is great for travel sickness.
Noise canceling headphones are a must for me. Also, a wrap/pashmina as the plane can get cold.
I don’t take anything to watch/do. The aircraft entertainment system has heaps on there. I usually put music on to sleep.

#21 born.a.girl

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:45 AM

View PostCrazyone26989, on 19 April 2019 - 07:12 AM, said:

I always take an antihistamine because I get sinus pain when flying. I bring drowsy and non drowsy so I can try to get some sleep if it’s longer than 6 hours/night time.

Comfy clothes are a must. I like something that won’t constrict your middle as I find the airline food very bloating.

14 hours isn’t so bad when you know you aren’t getting on another flight straight after!

Indeed.  Our 15 hour Manila - Toronto leg is a few hours after our Melbourne - Manila nearly 9 x hour leg.   Only doing it this way because we can finally justify the great BC airfare we got with Philippine airlines.  No way would I ever do that in economy.  Even not going backwards, in economy last two trips we stopped over for several days at the airline's home base on the way there.

#22 born.a.girl

Posted 19 April 2019 - 08:06 AM

View Postbyjingo, on 18 April 2019 - 08:27 PM, said:

We’re flying Air Canada Bris-Vancouver non-stop.

Do you have family in Vancouver or thereabouts, or is this purely holiday?

We will end up there for nearly a week before our return flight. Surprised at its size (half as big as Calgary, which I ignorantly thought was a small city) but so much to do there!

ETA: Just had a look at the Aldi headphones, thought I might buy my daughter a pair, and just be aware that they are on ear, according to the reviews I read, unless they have different ones.  It was because they were on-ear that my first $80 pair went to the op shop - my ears were sore from the pressure within a few hours, especially if trying to lie against them.  Maybe other people don't have this problem with on ear ones.

If you do get on-ear ones, make sure you wear them around for a few hours to see how they feel for you before trying them on the plane.  My mistake that I didn't.

Edited by born.a.girl, 19 April 2019 - 08:12 AM.

#23 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 19 April 2019 - 08:11 AM

can i ask...if it’s not too personal....how does one get a script (i assume they are not OTC) for restavit or diazepam? can you ask for it *purely* to calm your nerves or help you sleep on a plane? are gp’s likely to give it to you, just for that?

#24 dreamweaver80

Posted 19 April 2019 - 08:34 AM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 19 April 2019 - 08:11 AM, said:

can i ask...if it’s not too personal....how does one get a script (i assume they are not OTC) for restavit or diazepam? can you ask for it *purely* to calm your nerves or help you sleep on a plane? are gp’s likely to give it to you, just for that?

Pretty sure Restavit is OTC, I was at the GP this week and he suggested it for my morning sickness. He simply wrote the name on a piece of paper- not a script. Not sure about the other one.
In my experience GP's are very hesitant to give you prescription sleeping tablets just for flying. Our family is in the US and Europe so we do long-haul flights a lot and I've never succeeded in getting a script, even when I lie about anxiety.

#25 IkeaAddict

Posted 19 April 2019 - 08:42 AM

I flew from Sydney to Dallas which is 15.5 hours. Longest 15.5 hours of my life. Once we reached cruising altitude they gave us food and then shortly after they dimmed the lights expecting people to sleep. I was not ready for a sleep and ended up watching shows on the in flight entertainment system with the occasional doze off. The flight I was on was meant to have WiFi and I had planned on watching Netflix stuff on my iPad but turned out there was no WiFi so was useless to me. I think over the duration of the flight I slept maybe 2 hours total.

I am flying to Los Angeles in August and this time I plan on having movies/shows loaded onto my iPad so I can actually watch them. And crosswords, which I didn't have before but wish I had. And when I am ready to sleep I'll have some phenergan handy so I get a decent rest

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.