Water bill and real estate

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 dessy123

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:54 PM

I have a dilemma, Ive lived in my current rental property for about 14 months. I have always received unusually high water bills. $300 plus. Which ive never had in any other house ive been in. I have asked realestate to check for leaks, they gound a slight leak in the toilet, which was not enough to expalin these bills. Anyway in frustration, my last resort was to turn of the retic to see if it would make a difference, it did.

But as the weather got warmer i turned it back on, high bills again! Anyway time went on, ive been doing what I can to pay the water bill, in total ive paid over $900 since august last year and I still owe another $860! Received my last bill in march another $300 bill, so again i turned off the retic, a couple weeks later the lawn was looking worse for wear so I turn the retic back on, a few days pass and i realise it hasnt come on at all, i tell the real estate so they send someone out to have a look at it, he tells me its broken, and it had turned itself back to default settings, meaning it was coming on each day, each station for 10 mins! He told me that this is why I have had massive bills.

The next day I receive a letter from my real estate telling me if i dont pay the $860 within 7 days they will take me to court! so I have been emailing my property manager as it seems she is unable to return calls, and she says I should of let her know there was a fault?? I have never been shown how to use my retic and provided no instructions, was told to google when i asked how to use it??

We had made a previous arrangement that I could pay the bill off, at $20 a week, although that hasnt been consistent I have made the odd $50 payment and $200 payment where I can. I have offered to pay half of the remaining balance as I had no way of know that the retic was faulty??

Has anyone dealt with anything like this?  I have called REIWA and they told me that i have a good argument, hate conflict but just want whats fair.

And to make things worse there is a patch of lawn in my back yard that has died, the property manager is assuming from lack of water, but when the other lady came to inspect she thinks its from black bugs. So the property manager insisting its not the retic that was using the water as apparently it hasnt been on due to the patch out the back, yet my front lawn is lush and green..the lawn has always been patchy in that secton..

Edited by dessy123, 17 April 2019 - 08:58 PM.

#2 jayskette

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:45 PM

whats a retic?

#3 SeaPrincess

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:48 PM

View Postjayskette, on 17 April 2019 - 09:45 PM, said:

whats a retic?
Reticulation

Actually, I’ve got a bit more to add. When we had a rental house and there was a leak, I’m sure we had to pay one of the bills as well as getting the leak fixed. I’m also in WA, but it was a while ago. The justification was that the leak wasn’t obvious. I would have thought you would notice sprinklers coming on every day, but I’ve realised as I walk with the dog that lots of people don’t notice when theirs are broken, so maybe they don’t.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 17 April 2019 - 09:51 PM.

#4 DaLittleEd

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:23 PM

I have no professional advice, but I imagine that if the retic was actually broken - as in a leak you couldn't see - you might be able to come to some arrangement about the water bill. But if it is just that it was set for daily long run times, I imagine that would be your responsibility.

#5 SeaPrincess

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:42 PM

View PostDaLittleEd, on 17 April 2019 - 10:23 PM, said:

But if it is just that it was set for daily long run times, I imagine that would be your responsibility.

They’re not supposed to run daily. We’re on water restrictions, so it’s 2 allocated days/week. Ours used to default back to daily runs if we had a power cut, but we knew that because we had the manual.

#6 dessy123

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:02 PM

To be honest i never even knew when they came on? It must of been super early in the morning maybe?? I only ever knew they had been on due to the fact the lawn and concrete was wet.  I never took any notice of how often they came on..

#7 Fresh Start

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:10 PM

A friend bought a new house with an automated sprinkler system. They didn’t realise it was on as it was set to run at 4:30am.

A few months in they got a nasty anonymous letter in the mail that basically said not everyone is asleep early in the morning, we see you watering against restrictions.

They called the agent who’d sold them the property who go on to the previous owner and they found out how to turn it off.

#8 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:32 AM

Sounds 50:50 to me.  The system was broken, or in some sort of error state, and you weren't given proper instructions, so thats not your fault.  But also, watering the garden (or not watering it) is your responsibility, and you should have checked it earlier, especially after those massive bills.  Id go into it asking for a 50:50 split and see what they say.

I dont know where you live, or how big your garden is, but keep in mind that a lot of Australia was really really dry this summer, record breaking dry, so to keep your garden alive you would have had a fairly large water bill anyway. Or you would have a dead garden. (as a renter i didnt give two hoots about our garden, but you might have a particularly nice one).  But also you could have reused grey water etc etc if you had known it was the watering system costing you so much.  SO again its 50:50.

#9 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:39 AM

also, ask for a copy of the previous tenants water usage, thats part of the rental agreement sometimes isnt it? (im in victoria, its different here, we pay our own water bills) Or maybe contact the water company for the data.  That can be your proof that something was broken and its not regular water usage.

#10 SeaPrincess

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:49 AM

Also, make sure the bills are actually based on meter readings, not just estimates. We regularly get letters from the Water Corp telling us our usage is high, followed by a bill explaining that they finally got around to actually reading the meter and we are ahead because they overestimated.

#11 Greatmum

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:55 PM

R u supposed to b paying the water landlords pay it here

#12 WTF*A*Lot

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:23 PM

Some landlords pay it and some don’t.

#13 Luci

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:31 PM

I am in NSW, I think that renters here have to pay their own excess water bills. I now own my house, it has a watering system that was set to come on every morning. I felt that it was too much so got someone in who knew how to use the system to change it to every second day.

OP if you feel the system is overwatering you should not have to pay for it. Could you ask the agent to get someone in to re program it so it isn’t watering so much?!

#14 Greatmum

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:29 PM

Oh no yes u have to pay excess.

#15 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:51 PM

REIWA exists to serve the interests of agents,  not tenants. Contact Tenancy WA, a not for profit organisation that exists to assist tenants. http://www.tenancywa.org.au/

#16 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:22 PM

That is huge usage. Have you checked  that you are just paying usage, not the rates as well?

Definitely get some advice from tenancy wa, hopefully 50/50 will be an ok compromise

#17 dessy123

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:42 PM

I contacted tenancy WA looks like I am liable. I have offered to pay half, awaiting a response. If I do go to court I’ve been told I’ll just be put on a payment plan. The retic has now been fixed so hopefully no more big bills cause I’ll be paying this off for a while 😞

#18 **Xena**

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:26 PM

Where I live all our water bills are around $300. Usage is $30 and apparently the rest is 'upkeep'. So crap.

Edited by **Xena**, 18 April 2019 - 11:27 PM.

#19 DontKnow2015

Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:48 AM

If you are in WA there are two seperate bills that are issued when the property is a rental one. As a landlord I have to pay both bills so they are done on time and then issue the rental one to our tenants.

I don’t think the landlord will be interested in covering your usage bill as that is your responsibility.  If you have made an agreement to pay a certain amount and a not paying it consistently I can see why a property manager would be concerned.  

I have just seen your last update. I am glad it is fixed now. I would offer them another payment plan that works in with your budget. Landlords have to pay the property managers to take things to court so if you begin to pay routinely you may avoid.

#20 Thylacine

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:14 AM

Sorry but I think you'll just have to pay it. The first time you switched it off and saw your water bill go down showed you that the retic was responsible for the water usage, that should have been the time that you googled the instructions/got it repaired/stopped using it altogether

#21 BornToLove

Posted 19 April 2019 - 08:10 AM

^^ I agree. Sorry, but if you found the issue, then you should have addressed it fully at the time. I rent so I get it, repairs aren’t always in your control, but I would have been on the REA to fix the issue before turning the water on to the retic

#22 SeaPrincess

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:42 AM

View Post**Xena**, on 18 April 2019 - 11:26 PM, said:

Where I live all our water bills are around $300. Usage is $30 and apparently the rest is 'upkeep'. So crap.
Tenants only pay the usage in WA. OP make sure you ask to see the bills. When we were renting, the property manager sent me a copy each time with an invoice for the usage.

#23 Nobodyelse

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

^^Sorry, but I'm with the two pps. You've had 14 months of high water usage before bringing it up with teh REA. I'd probably try for a 50/50 split too, because why not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they declined.

I had a similar issue with a leaking cistern and brought it up after the first water bill we received. And our increase was only about $30 more than our usual usage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.