Do you style your bed like the ones in magazines and catalogues?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 anon039

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:05 PM

I went and bought some new sheets and a new quilt cover for my bed yesterday.
No matter what I buy my bed never looks like the ones in the pics on the packaging.
I can finally see why and it’s because I don’t have enough stuff on my bed!
I only have 2 pillows and my doona, with a bottom sheet of course.
Do you have cushions, heaps of pillows and throw rugs?
I want my bed to look inviting and like the ones in the magazines but I know everything will end up on the floor so I haven’t bothered!
Would like some inspiration!
What does everyone else do?

Edited by anon039, 17 April 2019 - 06:06 PM.

#2 José

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:07 PM

do i style my bed!?

good god no!!

#3 anon039

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:11 PM

View PostJosé, on 17 April 2019 - 06:07 PM, said:

do i style my bed!?

good god no!!

I figure that if I’m spending that much on covers etc that I want it to look good.

#4 Thylacine

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:13 PM

Nope. Where do you put all the spare pillows while you are sleeping?

#5 anon039

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:15 PM

View PostThylacine, on 17 April 2019 - 06:13 PM, said:

Nope. Where do you put all the spare pillows while you are sleeping?

On the floor??

#6 José

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:17 PM

View Postanon039, on 17 April 2019 - 06:11 PM, said:

I figure that if I’m spending that much on covers etc that I want it to look good.

i buy reasonably expensive bed linen and im happy with how it looks.

its ok if you want your bed to look different to mine.

i think all the extra pillows and throws are a waste of money and waste of time. where do you store them when ur in the bed?

View Postanon039, on 17 April 2019 - 06:15 PM, said:

On the floor??

i wouldn't spend large amounts of money on cushions and throws that are going to spend a large portion of time on the floor!!

#7 wilding

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:17 PM

Nope, just blanket and 3 pillows. Heck, I don't even make my bed :shrug:

#8 JomoMum

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:20 PM

We have 3 square coloured cushions that we bought for our bed. They matched the nice doona cover we’d bought.

They live on the floor when we’re in bed. And stay there pretty much all other times too. I wish I had the inclination to make it look pretty every day. Because generally our bedroom is the only tidy calm place in the house. I just got over it pretty quickly.

#9 creatamum

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:20 PM

Our guest rooms are styled but it is rare for me to bother with our room, I buy the stuff style it once or twice then shove it all on the top shelf of our wardrobe. If we are leaving for holidays etc I style it to make it easied for the burglers to take all the matching stuff (DH's comment everytime). Ours boys do there own beds and I call it an achievement if they match the sheets & doona cover to the pillow cases.

#10 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:22 PM

God no from me too.

Reminds me of this rant from Coupling about cushions on Sofas.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Lp0-8Ibkczc

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 17 April 2019 - 06:25 PM.

#11 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:25 PM

DH and I have 2 pillows each..... one expensive contour/physio type and one normal, for reading, sitting up etc.  

We have 2 double doonas instead of one king size, so I always make sure they are in matching covers, so they at least look like one from a distance.  

That's as good as it gets....... We do have three lovely cushions that I bought a few years ago.  The look lovely on top of the tall-boy in our room.  DH and I didn't last long with putting them on and off the bed.  It was worth a try though.

#12 JayPee

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:25 PM

Yeah I do. I have ten pillows (three euros) and two cushions on our bed. My DH thinks I'm mental. I think I'm overcompensating for the lack of bed head.

I fold over the quilt (and flat sheet) at the top of the bed, to almost half way, so there is a bit of contrast/texture/depth. My pillows are stacked and they reach to where the quilt fold ends, if that makes sense. I use the Sheridan website as my inspiration.

#13 MuffinQueen

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:26 PM

I do.  Maybe not full on catalogue style - but I like the pillows and throw to all be arranged and look nice and neat.  

It takes two seconds to take the pillows off each night and they sit in a pile on the chair in the corner of the bedroom each night.  It takes not even a minute to set them up as I make the bed.  

Each to their own.  It just makes me feel better having it look nice.

#14 Babetty

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:27 PM

And it's not just all the extra stuff - to make a bed look magazine-styled you need to iron your pillowcases, quilt cover etc and then NOT TOUCH IT OR SLEEP IN IT or creases will appear.

#15 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:27 PM

Only time we have ever styled our bed was when we had an open for inspection to sell the house.

Waste of effort otherwise. And I don’t have space, even on the floor, in our modest bedroom to store decorative pillows, I even struggle to keep a Spare blanket handy.

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~, 17 April 2019 - 06:35 PM.

#16 Cimbom

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:28 PM

I have 9 pillows - two European ones, two that we sleep on (plain coloured), two that match the quilt cover and three smaller cushions

#17 Lunafreya

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:34 PM

No! Does anyone live like that?

We had fun once with a long tube bolster pillow in a hotel room though.

#18 Popper

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:45 PM

Yes I do!!! Including the kids' beds. But I love a made bed with lots of cushions and throws.

#19 Daffy2016

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:45 PM

I wish I did - I love the way it looks.

In reality, you’re lucky if I make the bed, let alone style it. But I like to think I recognise my limits as a human and interior decoration is to be admired, not emulated :laugh:

#20 ~Bob~

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:50 PM

I do. Everyone has their thing. I like my bed linen. I buy reasonably expensive linen and I like to have pillows to make it all look like the catalogues. Yes, the pillows end up on the floor each night, but it doesn’t matter. I love how it looks and that’s all that matters.

#21 Appleaday

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:50 PM

I have the Euro's that I sit up quite nicely. I usually make my bed as I sit on it to watch TV to escape the kids in the lounge room. My bed doesn't look like a magazine but it's usually neat.

#22 zenkitty

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:54 PM

I am lucky to pull the doona up before leaving for work. I buy expensive linen because it feels nice, not wasting my money on any more pillowcases etc. than is necessary!

#23 TheGreenSheep

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:56 PM

I do, which has been spurred by having a single story house with the main bedroom at the front of the house beside the front door. It can be seen from the front road. DH makes the bed like I do, he follows ‘the rules’ and tbh he likes the bed made too.

#24 nom_de_plume

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:04 PM

Um no.

I don’t even make my bed. Or any beds in our household for that matter.

Ain’t nobody got time fo’ dat!

#25 Jane Jetson

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:05 PM

I have a few nice cushions and throws. They always end up under the bed.

I consider myself unusually organised if I actually make the bed in the morning.The most stylish thing on it is the cat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.