Notre Dame burns

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 MarigoldMadge

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:23 AM

Rolling coverage....

https://www.theguard...dmark-live-news

Not clear what can be saved, the rise windows from 1200's are destroyed, and the spire has collapsed.

Churches across Europe and Paris are ringing their bells.

Utterly tragic loss.

#2 Caribou

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:25 AM

It’s such sad news.

DH said it’s not the first time ND has burned, if the main structure holds, they can rebuild everything again. Regardless, devastating news. It’s an incredibly beautiful cathedral.

#3 IamzFeralz

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:36 AM

Very sad.  It’s a very iconic symbol of Paris.  The Parisians will be devastated.

#4 overlytired

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:46 AM

French news reports the structure is sound and the large leaded window, many relics, and artworks are safe. The interior wooden structure, however, burned.

#5 Peanut

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:03 AM

So tragic to hear the beautiful and historic rose windows (c. 1225-1250) have apparently been destroyed.  Such a beautiful building, and the history attached to it. :(

#6 Moukmouk

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:29 AM

So sad. It’s one of my favourite places in the world.

#7 lazycritter

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:32 AM

😭😭😭

#8 red_squirrel

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:37 AM

It is very sad.

I don’t understand why they didn’t try harder to put the fire out.
I saw the first pictures several hours ago.
The initial fire was small but they just seemed to let it burn.
It’s right next to a river, surely they could get generators and pumps. Or even fir engines. It has easy access.

Maybe all the pictures I saw had the fire fighters cropped out. They only seemed to get there at the end.

Edited by red_squirrel, 16 April 2019 - 08:40 AM.

#9 born.a.girl

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:41 AM

With the picture that's at the top of the Guardian page right now:

https://www.theguard...f08ce46f07f0030

it's very hard to imagine 'the worst has been avoided', as per Macron.

Great to hear that that's the assessment at the moment, though.

As for Trump ...!!!

#10 born.a.girl

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:42 AM

View Postred_squirrel, on 16 April 2019 - 08:37 AM, said:

It is very sad.

It’s right next to a river, surely they could get generators and pumps. Or even fir engines. It has easy access.

Maybe all the pictures I saw had the fire fighters cropped out. They only seemed to get there at the end.

Oh, don't do a Trump and assume we know better than the people on the ground there.

#11 71Cath

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:42 AM

Sad news.  I hope its an accident, the thought of someone deliberately burning that beautiful building is sickening.

#12 kadoodle

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:47 AM

I couldn’t believe it.

#13 overlytired

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:50 AM

It is very sad.

From Born.a.girl's link:
"Authorities said 400 firefighters were battling the fire in attempt to prevent the structure from collapsing."

Four hundred firefighters.

#14 red_squirrel

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:53 AM

Ok.

Thanks for that.

I just couldn’t see them in any photos or videos that came out while it was still day there.

It is such a tragic loss.

#15 kirstenfleur

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:00 AM

It's such sad news, Notre Dame holds a special place for me. Did you see the coverage of the Parisians singing "Ave Maria"? I wept.

#16 casime

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:06 AM

This has really saddened me.  It makes you feel really small, when a building that has survived for 800 years can be brought down.

#17 born.a.girl

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:06 AM

View Postkirstenfleur, on 16 April 2019 - 09:00 AM, said:

It's such sad news, Notre Dame holds a special place for me. Did you see the coverage of the Parisians singing "Ave Maria"? I wept.

No, but I would have cried, too.

I was there for the first time middle of last year, and we were lucky enough to be staying only ten minutes away, and able to not only visit a few times, but book an evening organ recital by a world renown organist.  Organ music is not normally my thing (so the name was meaningless) but to be sitting in that space (otherwise quiet & still, as it was no longer open to the public) with that music was almost unbelievable.

#18 red_squirrel

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:15 AM

I think I’m in shock right now over this.its just so sad.

Does anyone know if the artworks and relics were able to be saved?

#19 born.a.girl

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:19 AM

View Postred_squirrel, on 16 April 2019 - 09:15 AM, said:

I think we will just have to wait for the accurate info.

As we know from previous disasters, the desperate need to be the first news organisation out with what they believe are the facts, leads to many of them announcing what turns out to be false facts, based on rumour.

Only believe announcements made by Macron and other senior officials.

#20 seayork2002

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:23 AM

I have been a few times and my husband once, we were looking forward to taking DS one day so am really hopeful we will be able too see something of it when we do

#21 seayork2002

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:25 AM

It is very sad.

I would presume (accurately I will predict) that it was not by choice!

Edited by seayork2002, 16 April 2019 - 09:25 AM.

#22 Punky'sDilemma

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:37 AM

View Postred_squirrel, on 16 April 2019 - 09:15 AM, said:

Because it was undergoing renovations a lot of relics were already removed. Some other relics were rescued from the flames but obviously a lot of architectural art has gone, like the rose windows. Not sure about the gargoyles.

But the rose windows weren't original anyway, because they had already been lost in a previous fire.

#23 Punky'sDilemma

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:41 AM

It is very sad.

Notre Dame is on an island. They may not have had the needed infrastructure immediately. But as pp said, 400 firefighters is a lot!

https://www.abc.net....lapses/11018158

"Paris Mayor Anne Hildago said the cathedral's significant collection of artwork and holy objects had been recovered"

#24 moineau

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:46 AM

I am French, I was born in Grenoble and lived in Paris as a child. (I mean, I have been in Australia since I was 8)

Notre Dame was one of my favourite places, it always had this magical wonder to me as a small child, the hunchback stories, the gypsies, the grandeur.

Even now as an adult, it feels like there are few places like Notre dame, it has a 'feeling' within and around it.

I am in tears. Paris will rebuild as best it can, as has been mentioned - Notre dame has had fires before.

But, this one is pretty crazy, the roof is gone, the spire is gone. I'm sure the firefighters are doing what they can.

What a loss.

#25 ceeshell

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:16 AM

https://twitter.com/...844856930557959

​This sums it up for me.

So much history. So much beauty. I am devastated.

And heartbroken that my children won't see Notre Dame the way I did.

Edited by ceeshell, 16 April 2019 - 10:21 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.