Disneyland

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 lozoodle

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:47 PM

People keep telling me to get the fast pass - how does it work? I've already bought our entry tickets, is it an additional thing I can add on? Worth it or not? Anyone have any experience with it?

#2 Lees75

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:56 PM

The fast passes work differently at the different sites.

Are you referring to California?

#3 jessa86

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:58 PM

You can buy an additional MaxPass through the Disneyland app once you've entered the parks, I think it was an additional $10 per ticket, but could have gone up in price since the last time I was there.

With MaxPass you can pull fast passes through the disneyland app instead of having to find the fast distribution points in the park. It just makes it easier, you also have unlimited PhotoPass photos when you have the MaxPass.

You can still get fast passes in the park, you just have to find the distribution points, they're usually near the attraction.

I highly recommend getting the app, it will show you where they are.

This blog is great for tips. I've linked the info on MaxPasses.

ETA: This information is relevant for Disneyland Resort California and Disney California Adventure.

https://disneylandda...rnia-adventure/

Edited by jessa86, 15 April 2019 - 07:59 PM.

#4 eilca

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:59 PM

We discovered far too late that Disneyworld (Florida) allowed fast passes to be booked out months in advance.  So check into this.

#5 lozoodle

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:01 PM

Oops yes - California!

Thanks guys I will look for the app!

#6 PixieVee

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:26 PM

I think you can book 2 fast passes per day on the disney app 30 days before your booking or 60 days if you're staying at a disney hotel.

I would recommend looking up some fasts YouTube videos. Sounds weird but they're super helpful!

#7 LucyGoose

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:26 PM

Download the app,  and you can browse it while at home.  When you get to the park,  you can buy the max pass for the day.   It is $10 pp.  It is a must when it is busy.  We went for 4 days and bought the MP most days,  it was even worth it for my 3 year old.  
The fast pass allows you to go to a ride at a set time,  and basically skip the line.  Some of them had short lines even in fast pass,  but way faster than the normal line.
Once you have paid for it,  you can browse and see when you can get a fast pass for the most popular rides.
First you will look and see what the wait times are on the rides you want to go on (via the app).  Then book a fast pass.  Let’s say it is 9am,   And your fast pass return window for one ride is between 10-11.   As soon as 10am comes around you can book another FP for a different ride.   Allowing you to have multiple FP at one time.   Also,  if you get a FP for later (in the evening) then you can get an another FP for a different ride 2 hours after the time you booked it,  you don’t have to wait all day for that FP to be used up.
Another tip is that you need your own phone with data- the wifi isn’t good enough in the park,  also the app drains your phone battery,   So make sure you have a full battery every day.
Even though it sounds complicated it isn’t.   We went on a busy day and it saved lots of time.

#8 lozoodle

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:29 PM

Ok that all sounds great thank you! I will do some you tube watching and research at work tomorrow. I'm trying to avoid anything Disneyland related because the kids have no idea. I'm wary of downloading the app yet in case one sees it but I might sneak it away into a hidden boring looking folder on my phone ;)

#9 ytt

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:33 PM

It sounds all confusing but you'll get the hang of it really quickly :)

#10 Jersey Caramel

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:04 PM

I think the price of the max pass has gone up to $15pp. Sounds like it is probably still worth it though.

#11 lozoodle

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:10 PM

Small price after the bloody cost of entry for 4 days for the 5 of us! ha ha ha

#12 Jersey Caramel

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:17 PM

View Postlozoodle, on 15 April 2019 - 09:10 PM, said:

Small price after the bloody cost of entry for 4 days for the 5 of us! ha ha ha

Oh I know,  it's obscene isn't it?! I have been looking into it too, and thought it was expensive... then realised it was in US dollars and I still had to add another 40% or so on top! Ouch.

#13 lozoodle

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:37 PM

View PostJersey Caramel, on 15 April 2019 - 09:17 PM, said:

Oh I know,  it's obscene isn't it?! I have been looking into it too, and thought it was expensive... then realised it was in US dollars and I still had to add another 40% or so on top! Ouch.

Totally obscene, even after my travel agent sister was able to knock a bit off the price. I tell you what, keeping this secret from them is KILLING me. They know about the trip but not Disneyland itself. I am turning them down at ever request hoping to get them at maximum level of sulking about not going there right up until the moment we arrive at the gate on the day and say here we are!

haha little ungrateful sulking jerks won't know what hit them.

#14 Poughkeepsie

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:52 PM

We went last April and didn’t buy the MaxPass, just grabbed the FastPasses for what rides we wanted to go on without waiting too long. I used the app as well to monitor wait times and the longest we ever waited for any ride in either park was literally 20mins. It worked out really well for us, and we got to go on our favourite rides several times.
The best fast pass to get is for the Radiator Springs Racers in Cali Adventure Park, as that line can be 2-3 hours long and it is the BEST ride!  We also used it for Matterhorn, Toy Story and It’s A Small World (the most annoying ride song of all time 😉).

My other tip would be to use the single riders queue if you don’t mind being seated separately from each other and there’s a long wait somewhere.

Biggest tip of all? Get there early! The security checkpoints have queues longer than the queues to even get in the parks! Once you’re in, head straight for the FastPass kiosks and then off to whichever ride you’re keen to do first. We found Space Mountain, Guardians of the Galaxy and the Radiator Spring Racers better if you headed straight there.
Have fun! We also kept our trip a surprise from our kids until just beforehand. I had a great time doing all the research late at night 😁

#15 humphreybear

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:07 PM

We were there at Christmas/New Year. We didn’t buy Max passes rather purchased a 90 day subscription for ridemax.com . There were 5 of us so max pass costs add up quickly. We didn’t have a SIM card at that stage anyway.

I played around with Ridemac to get ideas of the order rather than following it to the letter.

We also used the single rider queue for a number of the rides. Not the first time but for subsequent rides.

#16 lozoodle

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:10 PM

Omg its a small world is that still there? I remember it from when I was 5, 32 years ago!!!!!!

#17 leosmum

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:13 PM

View Postlozoodle, on 15 April 2019 - 10:10 PM, said:

Omg its a small world is that still there? I remember it from when I was 5, 32 years ago!!!!!!

It sure is! And my boys loved it just as much as I remember loving it - we went on it enough times that I lost count ;)

#18 lozoodle

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:14 PM

View Postleosmum, on 15 April 2019 - 10:13 PM, said:

It sure is! And my boys loved it just as much as I remember loving it - we went on it enough times that I lost count Posted Image

Awww you've made my day! What about the haunted mansion? Is that still the same???

#19 Poughkeepsie

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:21 PM

Yep, that’s also still the same as when I went back in 1994!
Pirates of the Caribbean too!

#20 leosmum

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:21 PM

Also still there but they’ve definitely updated the inside! (Or perhaps my memory of that was a bit more sketchy from childhood!!) My favourite thing as a kid was Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and that was definitely still there, just as I remembered. It was such a nostalgic time for me!

#21 leosmum

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:23 PM

I’d agree with the comments from other PPs that Radiator Springs Racers is one of the best rides overall. And Disney California Adventure Park was definitely NOT there went I went in the mid 80s - just a carpark back then lol 😆

#22 lozoodle

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:36 PM

Ahhh now im excited haha. Move over kids, its mum's turn for fun :D

They think we are dragging them to boring adult museums in Anaheim hahahahahaha suffer

#23 Bird1

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:40 AM

Just remember Galaxy’s Edge opens in May so the place is going to be packed.
And the Parks are worth the money, so much better then any theme park in Aus

#24 jessa86

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:29 AM

View PostBird1, on 16 April 2019 - 06:40 AM, said:

Just remember Galaxy’s Edge opens in May so the place is going to be packed.
And the Parks are worth the money, so much better then any theme park in Aus

With this in mind, if you want to experience Galaxy's Edge you will need a reservation through to June.

#25 ytt

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:44 AM

The radiator spring ride is fun! It wasn't long open when we went so the queues were hours long. DD and I went on the single riders and the queue was only about 15 mins !! we were  always in the same car, just not the same row. DD had to get her anxiety about sitting next to a stranger in check though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.