Feeding chair

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 firstbaby2019

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:37 AM

Hi all,

Just wanted some advice on this - some Mums have said that they fed in bed / on the lounge but others I've spoken to say it's really bad for your neck and back to do this and you're better off getting a chair.

Also - chair wise - is there a 'better' option between rockers and gliders? We have tried both and prefer the feel of the glider but generally prefer the less bulky look of the rocker.

Price wise - I see there is huge variation. If we go for a glider, we are *considering* the Pottery Barn one (http://www.potteryba...inen-blend-grey) which is (IMO) an exorbitant price at $1399 but they often have sales which would make it more around the $1k mark which is still WAY too much in my eyes. But - it is the nicest looking and feeling one we've tried out. My husband says if it's something that's used daily, he doesn't think it's a big deal to splurge on it but I still can't justify it.

So hoping to get advice on whether you used a chair much, if it stains easily (worried about killing the fabric on the PB one but it is part of their nursery range so hopefully it's not too susceptible), how much you paid for yours and if there is a preference between rockers and gliders / if anyone can recommend a similar one to the PB one for cheaper?

Thanks so much!!

#2 just roses

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:44 AM

I had a chair from Ikea. A rocker of sorts. Cost about $100 ish and useful beyond baby years.

#3 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:48 AM

I bought a chair, I fed either in bed (mostly lying down with my second), or on the couch. It’s really hard to know in advance what will suit you and your baby.

#4 ~Bob~

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:48 AM

Do you have time to wait? The Aldi one is really nice and inexpensive. They come around every few months. You need to be there when the doors open though.

https://www.news.com...b25621c88ad8264

#5 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:49 AM

i didnt get a specific feeding chair.  What i needed most was a firm arm rest to rest my arm/baby's head on, to take that weight.  A good firm feeding pillow was a must too, and a chair with a more upright back (or several pillows behind you)

So i liked out little arm chair we had in baby's room, it was quite narrow and firm, and the arm rests were right beside me either side.  And i liked out lounge, Id sit at one end for one side, and shuffle to the other end for the other side, or use a few pillows.  I struggles to feed in bed, especially early on when baby was small.

If money is an issue, invest in 1-2 good quality, firm, feeding pillows, they are better than spending lots on a chair.  practice with a doll or something first, to get a pillow that suits your height and boob height. I needed a very high one.

#6 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:50 AM

View Post~Bob~, on 15 April 2019 - 10:48 AM, said:

Do you have time to wait? The Aldi one is really nice and inexpensive. They come around every few months. You need to be there when the doors open though.

https://www.news.com...b25621c88ad8264

our little arm chair was a bit like this one, only no rockers.  Its all you need really.

#7 ~Bob~

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:52 AM

I bought one from Toy r us. It’s a rocking chair, similar to the Pottery Barn Kids’ ones but it was cheaper, about $300. I think it’s a nice luxury to have. I can’t breastfeed in bed, as I’ll wake DH and it’s awful on my back. So I liked having the chair. I don’t think rocker v’s glider would matter.

That said, if you get a “good baby” ie one that sleeps through the night early, you might not use it as much as you think, so although I love pottery barn kids, I wouldn’t spend that much. I’d save the money for their gorgeous doll house range!!

#8 cvbn

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:11 AM

Sometimes you won't know until you feed what you like.
I purchased a glider rocker and found it uncomfortable. My girlfriend took it and loved it!

It sounds daft but sit in a few chairs and assume position. The important thing is that you don't have 'drag' on your breast. A pillow on your lap, with a towel over it to catch over flow, is very useful. A nice soft arm rest is useful too and I love a soft footstool.

Watch your neck, I often got 'feeders neck' looking down at my baby.

So exciting, congratulations.

PS I have BF 6 babies over 23 years, happy to chat via PM. :yes:

#9 lucky 2

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:12 AM

A wing back chair may not work well if you need to feed in an underarm hold.
Any chair with arms could be problematic if you have a squirmy baby who keeps pushing off the arms of the chair with their feet.
I found a couch better for my fussy feeder and a few pillows.
Have a look at "baby led" attachment. :)

Eta, I will move this thread to the "Buying for baby" forum.

#10 EmmDasher

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:35 AM

Ikea Poang for me. Super cheap and replaceable cushions are available if they get trashed. It has arm rests for comfort but they’re open so bubs hands/feet can hang over/out if necessary. It doesn’t glide/rock but the frame has some bounce to it which my kids loved. The main criticism some people have is that it is lower to the ground and some people find that makes it a bit harder to stand up. I didn’t find that to be an issue but it’s a personal thing.

#11 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:59 PM

Look for something second hand. I sold my glider as soon as I stopped bf because it took up too much room. Also realise it's likely to get spewed and pooed on so something easy to clean is a must. We ended up buying a hand held carpet shampooer to clean our fabric lounge chair and sofa if I wasn't feeding in the bedroom, because as long as bubs doesn't get distracted you will want to watch tv during the day, especially if you find you cannot feed one handed and hold your phone!

#12 Mooples

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:02 PM

I have an Adair’s one. I wish I could have got the Aldi one but I missed out on the first release and the next release wasn’t until I had bought the one I had. I don’t use mine enough to justify $1000 but that’s not to say you won’t. We reluctantly ended up co sleeping and he spent most of the night attached to me for the first 6 months. I did use it for night feeds once he went into the cot.

#13 Renovators delight

Posted 15 April 2019 - 02:19 PM

We got two La-Z-Boy leather rocker recliners when I was expecting DS1. One has lived upstairs in various children's bedrooms, and one downstairs, ever since.

Very practical, arms are just the right height for feeding both the usual way and underarm (depending on child's preferences) and very comfortable to sit in while sitting next to a cot or bed. Leather, so easy to clean.

Ours were new, but definitely something that can be picked up easily second hand.

#14 Future-self

Posted 15 April 2019 - 02:31 PM

Ikea Poang here too. You can get the traditional once or a rocket version. Inexpensive

#15 Expelliarmus

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:46 PM

I had no dramas feeding on the couch. I liked being able to spread out and have things next to me.

That Pottery Barn chair looks dangerous to me as the foot rest has a gap between it and the seat of the chair where little heads could get stuck. I thought that safety standards meant the foot rest has to be connected fully to the chair seat, like this one: https://www.babybunt...snow-flake.html The recline on the Pottery Barn one is too far back as well - overkill. You'd never use that while breastfeeding.

#16 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:04 PM

Poang here too, with footstool.  15 years later and we still use it.

I didn't like the feeding chairs - used a few friends ones.  When bubs got a little bigger, they would put their feet against the arm rests and push - whilst still attached to me at the other end - it hurt!    With the Poang, their feet/legs went under the armrest so they had nothing to push against.

I fed all over the place.  Had the Poang in their bedroom, so used it during the night feeds.  The rest of the time I was on the lounge, or out and about.  

I also liked the 'bounce' of the poang.  Much better than a rocker for me.

#17 Lou-bags

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:15 PM

IKEA Poang, couch, bed, floor, dining chair, standing, in the ocean, any which where here.

I think feeding chairs are a triumph of marketing...

Wait until your baby is here, and if you decide you’d like one, send your partner out to pick one up or have one delivered.

If your hospital runs a session post birth on breastfeeding or with a physio, go to that. You may get some good tips about posture and positioning there.

Best of luck with your pregnancy and new baby.

#18 rowd

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:21 PM

Another thing to possibly think about is where baby will be sleeping and what season it will be when they are born. My second slept in a cosleeper bassinet and it was winter, so no way was I getting out of bed to feed during the night! In the day time it's easy to get comfy and organised on the couch etc. I'd probably wait until baby arrives and see where you feed most and if it seems like a chair would be useful then go out and get one.

#19 TinyGiraffe

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:54 PM

I have the Aldi one in bubs room which I used whenever I was home with pillows until around 4 months, then she got tall enough to kick the sides as mentioned by a PP. For $200 I don't mind it and still use for overnight / early morning feeds but probably use it more often as just a nice rocking chair for settling bub and bedtime stories, I wouldn't spend more than that as I generally prefer to setup in a big armchair in the lounge during the day to feed. We also have a sofa bed in bubs room which was good for feeding laying down while feeding was established to regulate flow. $1K is alot when you may not even breastfeed for long or you may just find it uncomfortable for whatever position you end up adopting which is all very hard to tell until you get bub home.

#20 countrychic29

Posted 15 April 2019 - 05:38 PM

I had a feeding chair for DD1 - really comfortable leather recliner, used maybe 4 times in 15 months of feeding and that was only on nights she was sick and i had to stay in her room to check on her.

DD2 i used it for 1 night feed only - but she was a quick feeder so i think i sat in it for 5 mins max a night for 6 months - any chair would have done the job

Don't get me wrong i love Pottery Barn - but i would start with the Poang, see how much you use it can always sell that and put towards the Pottery Barn chair if you find you really want it.
Just trying to save you on the things we think we need for the first baby - spend $1300 on a baby moon :)

#21 Lallalla

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:10 PM

I fed everywhere, couch, bed, bathroom floor while DD1 was toilet training... but in their room I had a poang rocking chair from Ikea with a cushion for under my arm. It worked great, especially if you have a projectile vomiter and need a machine washable cover.

Edited to clarify, I was feeding my newborn while my oldest sat on the potty... not feeding her while she sat on the potty... I only realised after how it read.

Edited by Lallalla, 15 April 2019 - 07:12 PM.

#22 MooGuru

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:46 PM

I also had the ikea poang.

For me bed and sofa were sooooo much better than sitting. I used a friends recliner a few times and hated it. DS was more than 3kg heavier than her DD by the time they were a month old. I was most comfortable feeding lying back on the bed/couch with my body taking DS's weight. He was a motivated feeder and sucker. Her baby had to be woken every few minutes and lying down made her too sleepy so the recliner was the best. DS could also push off the arm rest by the time he was a month or two old.

#23 cabbage88

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:54 PM

I think feeding in a rocker is really a very unnatural position- that's a lot of pressure on your shoulders and back and feeding lying down is so much more comfortable, and ergonomically so much better for your body. I fed on the couch a lot because I could get my legs up, curl up and rest bub and my arms on my legs.
My first I was so careful to feed in my feeding chair- that's 8 hours a day sitting in that crappy position and I got so sore in my sacrum, pelvis, back etc. second time around I predominantly used the couch but this time I will just fed in bed. The only thing I'd find a chair useful for now is pumping because of I don't do that sitting up I'm going to get milk everywhere haha.

#24 MsLaurie

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:08 PM

I bought a laz-e-boy rocker recliner. Went to Roth Newton shop and was very firmly instructed by the elderly salesman exactly which two I could choose from! “You’re quite short, that one or that one will suit you” “er, I was thinking something wider, so it could be used later for reading stories...?” “Try it if you like, but your feet won’t properly touch the ground and you’ll be uncomfortable, it will be a waste of money!”
He was right, the smaller one did fit perfectly!
It’s navy blue, sort of velvet-y fabric, and was great for feeding Bub1, reading stories for years, and is now in Bub2’s room where it’s in use again. Cost about $600 I think, and has been worth every cent. I even ended up sleeping in it towards the end of my pregnancy with Bub2.

#25 tenar

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:37 PM

View PostLou-bags, on 15 April 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

I think feeding chairs are a triumph of marketing...

This.

It's a chair.  You sit in it and feed your baby, hopefully without spraying milk everywhere (in my experience).

You will most likely end up feeding in chairs at home, other chairs at home, in cafes, in parks, in bed, in shops, anywhere and everywhere.  Especially once number 2 comes along, if they do (do you reckon people with a toddler to entertain get to sit for hours in a particular chair at home while they feed the baby?  Baby gets fed wherever the mum needs to be with the toddler, be that the park or the kindy or the swimming pool, and everyone manages just fine.)

If you have something comfy to sit in at home, try that.  If it doesn't work for you, take yourself and bub into a shop and try the options, then decide if it's worth the price.

My DH very sweetly got me the Ikea Poang while I was in hospital after DD1 was born.  Lovely thought, and heaps of people like it for feeding, but I didn't like it so didn't use it much.  I used our sofa, the bed, other chairs, wherever I was.

Enjoy planning for your baby, OP :)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.