Change table mat

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 firstbaby2019

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:52 PM

Hi all,

We bought some drawers with a small sunken lip on the top which we're going to put a change mat into. The only issue is that our drawers are slightly narrower than standard change tables (38cm wide x 78 long). A few questions:

- Do we need the curved up edges we see on lots of mats or can we just get a mat made from Clark Rubber or the like to fit that is flat? My only worry is that the curved up edges are to prevent baby rolling but I have seen some flat designs e.g. the changing baskets online so am wondering if this is still a safe option?

- Is 38cm going to fit our baby? Stupid question as I know it depends on the size of the child but, especially if we do a flat mat, it looks like a baby should still fit in this space?

- Anyone know anywhere we could get one made if we do need the curved up edges as the narrowest I can find on Baby Bunting etc is 40cm so it's JUST too big.

Thanks!

Edited by firstbaby2019, 14 April 2019 - 10:54 PM.

#2 cvbn

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:18 PM

Even it you get one with the shaped edges, DO NOT trust it. One hand on your baby at all times, they roll very unexpectedly.

I had a flat mat on a chest of drawers, I got it from YCN.

Congratulations!

#3 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:46 AM

They’re pretty squishy foam, a 40cm one will probably squash into a 38cm space.

You don’t need the high sides for safety, as PP said, never ever let go of your child on a change mat, as they will roll off. I know a friend of a friends 1 year old broke her arm falling off a change table. The sides will help though. You can also roll up a small towel or cloth nappy and put that under the change mat cover to create a side. Or put a towel on top and roll up one side of it.

#4 400

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:11 AM

Agree with PPs- from a safety point of view the sides help but are ultimately irrelevant as you should have a hand on baby at all times anyway. Before they start to roll they do kick and scooch up and across the mats too, which the sides can help with.

The extra point I wanted to add is the leaking- if your baby does a cheeky wee with the nappy off (as it inevitably will), the high sides can help stop it from running off the edges, but a little slope might have wee trickling into the wood. A good, absorbant mat under baby should help avoid this though (I use the bamboo ones from hippybottomus and love them as they are super soft and absorbant).

#5 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:20 AM

As per previous posters... never trust the lip on them.

No one believes me except family members who witnessed it, but my 5 day old had enough oomph in her little leg kicks to manage to flip herself over on the change table the day after we brought her home. Had I just relied on the edge of the table, she'd likely have ended up on the floor.

Id say go ahead and get the mat made at Clark rubber but make sure you get a nice mat as another poster suggested. And one hand on baby whilst changing!

#6 firstbaby2019

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:40 AM

Thanks all - yes, definitely know to keep a hand on baby at all times - just wasn't sure if the lip was another necessity but seems from your advice it isn't completely needed. I've contacted Clark Rubber and they can do a flat piece of foam for $15 which will fit into the recess so I may just go with that.
Thanks for all your help x

#7 Grrrumbles

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:28 AM

If you get a custom piece of foam - will change mat covers fit it? And are the drawers a good height for you?

#8 cvbn

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:35 AM

Pillow case make good covers, wrap it in a Ikea cot mattress  water proof mat.

#9 lucky 2

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:45 AM

Hi, I'll move your thread into the "Buying for baby" forum.

And yes to pp's re never taking your eyes off your infant when on a change table. They can curl up in fetal position and topple over!

#10 cvbn

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:49 AM

Just a thought, air your piece of foam well. Sometimes they can be very smelly.

Edited by cvbn, 15 April 2019 - 11:49 AM.

#11 firstbaby2019

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:02 PM

Anyone know where I can get patterned pillowcases if you've done this for covers before? There are a lot on Etsy but they're all like $25-$35 with shipping which IMO is a lot for a pillowcase

#12 little lion

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:20 AM

I recently bought my kids some nice and bright patterned pillowcases for $5 each from Aura Home.

#13 firstbaby2019

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:53 PM

Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.