Selling Kid's clothes

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Luci

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:30 AM

I am wondering if anyone has tried selling of their kid's old clothes on Facebook?

I am having a clear out of my DD's clothes and there are lots of things in excellent condition and some still with tags attached. They are brand names such as Seed, Country Road and Ralph Lauren.

My plan is to put together a couple of plastic containers, one of size 4/5 and the other 6/7. Each container would have several pairs of jeans, a few jumpers, and other assorted things such as a couple of skirts, a couple of t-shirts, maybe a party dress and some pj's.  I would only include items in very good condition.

Please give me any feedback - good idea, bad idea, if you have sold or bought similar stuff yourself.

Thanks lovely EB'ers.

#2 EmmDasher

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:45 AM

I’ve tried on FB but it’s a bit of a PITA to manage and there are a lot of time wasters.

Name brand stuff goes on eBay in small seasonal, sized, coordinating bundles (ie the size of a small satchel). It might have a couple of bottoms, a couple of tops, a cardigan & a pair of shoes. I find postage cost a barrier to selling most items individually.

I try to bundle items by style so that people aren’t put off by things they don’t like.

My bundles get listed for $10 irrespective of what’s in them. They all sell every time for $10 up to $25 depending on the popularity of what’s in them.

I don’t even try to sell play clothes or generic brand items. Occasionally I might slip one or two generic items into a bundle but generally they sell for next to nothing and it’s not worth the effort. Those items don’t sell in my local area. I donate or recycle depending on condition.

#3 kimasa

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:29 PM

I've sold bags worth of a size for about $10. I find that works a lot better than trying to sell individual items.

#4 rowd

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:42 PM

Depending on the brands, there are a lot of brand specific, or general 'branded' kids clothes buy sell pages. If you list stuff for reasonable prices, they usually sell quite fast, particularly if you have a large thread, as people will often buy multiple items and save on postage costs.

#5 seayork2002

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:45 PM

I bought a big box when DS was little off ebay, but too be honest I can't be that organised so just give DS's old clothes to charity, not designer labels but perfectly useful as he grows out of them before they look worn.

#6 Future-self

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:49 PM

I do bundles on Gumtree. Like PP usually $10 for a bundle which may be 15-20 items . All in excellent condition. It can be a pain sometimes as people don’t show or agree to $10 and then turn up and try to haggle.

But ideologically I feel better about going to some effort to ensure they aren’t wasted and get more use.

#7 Sweet.Pea

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:57 PM

Some people sell big bags for $50. I'm skeptical. They don't show what's in there and sometimes the clothes are stained or torn.

If there are a few name brands you can put them up individually. But even with tags don't expect big dollars.

#8 magic_marker

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:08 PM

What State are you in? And how much are you selling them for? I'm interested.

#9 Crazyazy

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:50 PM

I sold branded kids clothes in great condition via gumtree for $3 each and they were all snapped up.  I laid them out in a flat lay and took photos and added the sizes in the description.

Less branded items you could bundle up in size and season and they would go also.   I know you can get some crazies on gumtree but I found Facebook worse for people not turning up or wanting me to hold maybe try gumtree also.

#10 Luci

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:53 PM

Thanks so much everyone for all your replies. magic marker I am in Sydney, I haven't decided the price yet because I am still getting everything together.  I you are in Sydney please PM me.

Edited by Luci, 12 April 2019 - 02:54 PM.

#11 MommyMichelle

Posted 11 May 2019 - 03:44 AM

I sell all the time, just join a moms group and post the stuff. People will buy it

#12 SummerStar

Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:52 AM

I found both fb and ebay to be a waste of time with the amount of time wasters for such little return. I watch a friend of mine go through it all the time her stuff is listed for months and the price keeps going down and down as it doesn't sell. I just give our unwanted clothes to friends or donate these days. Less stress and I know they are appreciated.

#13 luke's mummu

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:08 AM

View PostSummerStar, on 11 May 2019 - 06:52 AM, said:

I found both fb and ebay to be a waste of time with the amount of time wasters for such little return. I watch a friend of mine go through it all the time her stuff is listed for months and the price keeps going down and down as it doesn't sell. I just give our unwanted clothes to friends or donate these days. Less stress and I know they are appreciated.

I found the same. Less stress to donate or give away on a “ pay it forward “ site

#14 BeAwesome

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:26 AM

I find it's not worth the money / time /effort to sell clothing.  I had a large collection of kids clothes where I just posted on our school Facebook page, saying give away to anyone that needed some  Size X-X clothes, or for anyone that knew anyone that was in need.  They were all gone a few hours later.

#15 MarciaB

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:31 AM

I used to almost get my money back selling my kids designer clothes.  Then Cotton On, H&M, Gap came along to Australia and suddenly resale fell away.

So be prepared to sell for a fraction of what you paid - even if it still has tags!

Size 4/5 is the most popular size to sell I found.

Once you get to 6/7 and up it is tricky as people buy less ( kids in school and uniform and just buy less clothes). I suggest as PP suggested and joining the brand name FB resale groups.

Things like Coats in winter, ski gear, wetsuits etc do ok.

Keep prices cheap.

#16 SummerStar

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:40 AM

View PostMarciaB, on 11 May 2019 - 07:31 AM, said:

I used to almost get my money back selling my kids designer clothes.  Then Cotton On, H&M, Gap came along to Australia and suddenly resale fell away.

Same years ago it was great. As well as kids stuff I also used to sell my designer clothes and bags I didn't use anymore. I bought from overseas where the prices were 30-50% cheaper and always got my money back. Now I give away all clothes and bags I don't use because no one wants to buy anymore and I just don't have the time to keep reducing and answering questions that are already in the details... So it all gets given away. My shopping habits have changed to suit as I used to use funds from selling towards new purchases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.