How do you keep on top of it all

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#76 Ferelsmegz

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:26 AM

View PostJBH, on 10 April 2019 - 02:52 PM, said:

I’m a big supporter of public education, but my friend with kids in private school told me she only has to sign one note at the beginning of the year to say the school can take the kids where they like and do what they want and charge her for it. No more notes. There are days I think that would be worth the school fees.

Thats literally the only thing I miss about private education.

DS moved to public this year and missed an excursion as he forgot to give me the note.

#77 Jenflea

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:51 AM

Our public school does an app, email(sometimes), paper note and FB so there's virtually NO WAY you can miss a note.

#78 Ellie bean

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

View PostJenflea, on 12 April 2019 - 10:51 AM, said:

Our public school does an app, email(sometimes), paper note and FB so there's virtually NO WAY you can miss a note.
Our public school is hopeless- great teachers, crap communication

#79 laridae

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:49 PM

Our public school just has us sign permission for all excursions at the start of the year and the cost is included in the fees so no notes. They are usually just listed on the fortnightly school newsletter so we know.

#80 seayork2002

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:02 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 12 April 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

Our public school is hopeless- great teachers, crap communication

Ours is the same, great school with great teachers and other staff but the communication annoys me.

We have loads of apps/emails/online principals report so there is bits of communication all over the place and as they stopped doing the newletters things still get missed!

just get one app that does it all!

Ironically yesterday I got an unexpected email from the school to say they have signed up to a epermission sign site so hopefully things will improve

#81 Mose

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:25 PM

I don't keep on top of it all.  I don't even have ambitions to do so.

I have a toddler and a primary aged child.  I have a part time job that is fairly flexible, and I have a cleaner.

And I am still not, nor ever expecting to be, on top of it all.

My latest and greatest effort is that my parents are staying and offered to do some laundry for me, which I had to turn down as I haven't been to the supermarket in 3 weeks and we don't have anymore of the laundry liquid left, and with lots of sensitive skin issues not willing to try another brand.

So you know, winning.  I choose to see it as amusing rather than a failing (at least on a good day...)

#82 MsLaurie

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:50 PM

The only way we’re even passingly on top of things is having a fortnightly cleaner, because we have to do a panic tidy before she comes!

#83 Drat

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:53 PM

Thanks everyone,

Sorry for the late reply. I sorta had a break to get my head back in check.

I did a bit of a clean up yesterday which helped and my 2 year old was actually very helpful today. (I really can't complain about her, she's probably far more helpful and tidy than most).
I've put pressure on hubby to finish this reno as I think that is what is stressing me the most. I've also been thinking about little stuff we could probably do more frequently that we don't!

Thanks for all the great suggestions and support
x

#84 SeaPrincess

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:27 AM

View PostJenflea, on 12 April 2019 - 10:51 AM, said:

We have an app, but it keeps logging me out and my username is some random combination of numbers and letters that I can’t remember, so I currently have 92 unread notifications. This includes every communication directed at the children, and some that don’t relate to my children at all, e.g debating team for other year groups. If I don’t get an email or a paper note, i will likely miss it.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 13 April 2019 - 11:33 AM.

#85 MommyMichelle

Posted 11 May 2019 - 03:28 AM

I don't LOL. See if you have family that can help.

#86 WaitForMe

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:05 AM

View PostSeaPrincess, on 13 April 2019 - 11:27 AM, said:

We have an app, but it keeps logging me out and my username is some random combination of numbers and letters that I can’t remember, so I currently have 92 unread notifications. This includes every communication directed at the children, and some that don’t relate to my children at all, e.g debating team for other year groups. If I don’t get an email or a paper note, i will likely miss it.

You need a password manager.

Not only will it save your sanity but it will keep you more secure.

You have one decent password you need to remember for the password manager, and then all your passwords stored in it, auto generated by the app or you can manually enter them if you want.

All your passwords are available on all your devices. I have an iphone with touch id, so I don't even need to enter the password managers password.

#87 EsmeLennox

Posted 11 May 2019 - 01:17 PM

View PostPopper, on 10 April 2019 - 11:10 AM, said:

For us we never leave the house of a morning without beds made, dishes done, floors swept/stick vac and house tidy. On days I work I do the washing the night before. Ironing gets done every Thursday. I am an early riser and DH shares the load. School lunches made the night before.

Jeez...what a helpful post. /sarcasm

OP, I think it really important that you try and let some of it go. When my kids were little, I tried to keep the basics done (eg toilet, bathrooms, kitchen, washing) once a week only (ok, with three little boys, the toilet probably got more than it’s share of cleaning attention). The floors might have gotten done once every two weeks. What I did find extremely helpful was a cordless stick vacuum, so I could whiz over kitchen areas if they got too feral.

If you have the space, I did find it helpful to teach the kids to keep their toys contained to one area (as much as possible). Even better if it’s a room you can shut the door on it.

Bedrooms? Just close the door, people shouldn’t be poking their noses in anyway. Baskets of washing? Shove them in the bedroom behind the closed door.

But most of all, give yourself a break. You have a newborn. And a toddler. It’s hard and one day your house will be clean again. In the meantime, look after yourself.

#88 cabbage88

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:13 PM

Right now I actually do feel "on top of" the house. It's certainly not often spotless but I'm more than happy with it. It's generally clean and nothing is really out of control.  These things helped, but I'm sure it's about to turn to crap when I'm home with a newborn and two toddlers-
- Dyson stick vacc. My whole house can be vacced in 5 minutes.
- steam mop-after vacuuming, it's about 8 mins to clean all hard floors.
- ikea cube shelf with drawers and labels so family visiting or anyone can chip in and tidy
- minimum load of washing a day, but usually more than that, or I get behind. Mostly now I use the dryer too which is faster obviously but it's always raining now
- cleaner!! This has been key!! Once a fortnight someone comes in when we aren't home and gets my house sorted so it's actually all clean and tidy in one go
- gardener- can't do the garden at all. No way have I got the time
- it was actually easier to keep clean when I was working and all the kids were out in care. Then they weren't here trashing the place. Mat leave and no care is going to be a freaking nightmare
- declutter as much as I possibly can. I'm constantly giving away toys, throwing out my hoarding 6 year olds crap while she's at school so we have as few things as we possibly can. Having less stuff is totally key for us. I go to the toy library and borrow things like slides, bikes, see saws, whatever and theyre always happily occupied with new toys that way. I only have a few puzzles, Lego, plastic trikes and kitchen toys. I am always getting rid of stuff because it just seems to multiply.

My house has been trashed for most of the last 6 years, but in the last year I did all of the above and it's mostly tidy, at least to my standards. It really helps me relax at home but I could only do it when we had enough money for the cleaning appliances, cleaner and Gardner. If we end up broke again I'll be pretty bummed haha.

#89 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:15 PM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 11 May 2019 - 01:17 PM, said:

Jeez...what a helpful post. /sarcasm

OP, I think it really important that you try and let some of it go. When my kids were little, I tried to keep the basics done (eg toilet, bathrooms, kitchen, washing) once a week only (ok, with three little boys, the toilet probably got more than it’s share of cleaning attention). The floors might have gotten done once every two weeks. What I did find extremely helpful was a cordless stick vacuum, so I could whiz over kitchen areas if they got too feral.

If you have the space, I did find it helpful to teach the kids to keep their toys contained to one area (as much as possible). Even better if it’s a room you can shut the door on it.

Bedrooms? Just close the door, people shouldn’t be poking their noses in anyway. Baskets of washing? Shove them in the bedroom behind the closed door.

But most of all, give yourself a break. You have a newborn. And a toddler. It’s hard and one day your house will be clean again. In the meantime, look after yourself.

Actually, it IS a helpful post. Not to you maybe, but to others it may be.

#90 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:17 AM

I just lowered my standards and prioritised. The house isn't sparkling but there's no vermin or piles of rubbish. My kids are older but they tidy away toys and bedrooms before screen time each night.
And I have different coloured washing baskets for each person. I hang the clothes on racks then sort them into the baskets before bringing them inside. Then the baskets get dumped in the appropriate room.

#91 EsmeLennox

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:29 AM

View Post~THE~MAGICIAN~, on 11 May 2019 - 11:15 PM, said:

I was thinking about how it might make the OP feel, actually. It seemed to fly in the face of what she is actually struggling with.

#92 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 12 May 2019 - 05:59 PM

Ok, I understand , sorry.

I personally would find it helpful :)

#93 Jane Jetson

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:16 PM

View Post~THE~MAGICIAN~, on 11 May 2019 - 11:15 PM, said:

Yikes, no. That's not helpful.

That's adding in extra steps (tidying, dishes, vacuuming) even before work, which is a pretty horrible thought for those of us who spend the entire time yelling at the ADHD brigade, "Where are your school shoes, have you taken your Ritalin, brush your hair and your teeth, put the cat down and stop playing with her, what do you mean you left your laptop in Dad's car and he's already left for work and you left your maths assignment in your laptop bag" every freaking day before work.

I figure you concentrate on the important things (Ritalin, basic human cleanliness, having your lunch and laptop sorted) and pull an Elsa on nonsense like vacuuming before school and work.

God I hate mornings.

#94 Rhosko2

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:18 PM

Be kind to yourself. None of us had clean houses when our kids were that young. I survive by outsourcing. If you can’t do that financially try and stop exposing yourself. Meet people at a coffee shop or park. The kids play and you get out without judgment.
This isn’t forever I promise.

#95 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:45 AM

View PostDrat, on 10 April 2019 - 07:57 AM, said:

I have a 2 year old and a newborn.

My husband is ok, he does do some stuff around the house and we are currently doing a renovation ourselves so he is doing that stuff a lot.

We 'renovated' with a 1yo and a newborn.  The rennos still aren't complete 6 years later with another child! Renovating with kids is super hard, don't be tough on yourself.

I honestly just tried to meet people in parks or cafes where I could. Or keep the mess to one or 2 rooms so the lounge room / kitchen / bathroom look clean when people come over.

#96 EPZ

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:06 AM

I have started the following and its helps!

Start of week - make a big batch of friend rice to go with dinner for a couple of nights. Pre- crumb and cook snitzel, to last 2 nights.  Have fish 2 nights - 5 mins to cook with steamed veggies.  Pasta sauce for quick dinners also.

kids make school lunches a.m and vacuum/tidy rooms weekly. I've got them helping more because they can.  They have to put clothes away and sort them. Change their bed sheets.  These bits and pieces help me greatly !!

I do let my bathrooms go a bit (apart from toilet) and don't wash floors weekly but do Vac.   I cannot keep everything at the same level.  The main living/kitchen area is clean but the rest just gets done when/if I am capable, around work and kids activities!

When someone is coming, for dinner say.  Its all hands on deck, I sound the alarm for everyone to do one thing to help! LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.