How do you keep on top of it all

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#51 mayahlb

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:45 PM

I have these plastic tubs with lids that slot on. They come in pretty colours and are sort of basketweave type. I dump anything driving me nuts on the floor into them and put them in a line against a wall or under the study table/desk.

Also decluttering is your friend. They less stuff there is, the less stuff there is to make mess.

But yeah I'm never on top of it...

Currently there is some sort of stuffed animal town littering my entire house with boxes and "bits" and pillow cases. And god forbid I actually remove any of it. I rarely catch up on washing. I try and vacumm once a day and the kids know if it goes in the vaccum that it, its goooone.

I focus on keeping the kitchen clean and tidy and if we have visitors I chuck everything in boxes, stuff it in the bedroom along with the washing baskets and vaccum then call it a day...

#52 Ferelsmegz

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:01 PM

My children grew up.

#53 Riotproof

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:03 PM

View Post~J_F~, on 10 April 2019 - 11:50 AM, said:

Just curious how does cleaning the toilet become a big job even if you don’t clean it every night?

I don’t know how we are getting wee on the inside of the lid. But as I never lift the lid to use it I don’t notice until I go to clean it.

#54 magic_marker

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:20 PM

Came back to say. What helped me a little was getting some Kallax from IKEA for storing some things. I got a 4. I can add to it as l go. And it looks nice. I put the train set in one, the duplo in another, the tea set and play shopping in another and a miscellaneous box. They aren't expensive and if you can get them on sale, even better.

Edited to add. I try and get through to pack up one before playing with something else. But it doesn't always happen.

Edited by magic_marker, 10 April 2019 - 01:22 PM.

#55 Daffy2016

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:28 PM

I don’t.

I have one toddler and the place is chaos. I do tidy the kitchen benches, put away toys and books and arrange the couch cushions at the end of the day - that helps me feel more in control. During the day it’s a free for all though.

#56 PrincessPeach

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:46 PM

I have a bit of a routine in what gets done each day - but I'm no where near on top of things.

Toys are very restricted to one area of the house only, so it makes clean up easier. Plus now mine are nearly 3 & 5 they actually do tidy up thier  toys before dinner.

For me, so long as the kitchen bench & table are cleared & wiped down after each meal, I'm wining.

#57 Zeppelina

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:02 PM

Oh my goodness OP, with a 2yo and a newborn, just being alive and fed IS 'keeping on top of things'!!!

Now that my two are a bit older (3.5 & 7.5), they're old enough to actually help out and do jobs for the whole family (such as bringing washing in, unloading dishwasher, etc, as opposed to just putting their own clothes or toys away). This is an absolute game-changer!!

A few times a week we also do a 10 minute super-speed tidy up, usually before or after dinner. I set the alarm on my phone, and we see how much of the house we can tidy in 10 mins. The kids love waiting for the alarm to go off, and they get excited to see how much they can do in that time. The cleaning often continues past that 10 mins, as they are 'in the zone'.

Edited by Zeppelina, 10 April 2019 - 02:02 PM.

#58 SeaPrincess

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:34 PM

View Post~J_F~, on 10 April 2019 - 11:50 AM, said:

Just curious how does cleaning the toilet become a big job even if you don’t clean it every night?

View Postseayork2002, on 10 April 2019 - 11:54 AM, said:

I was wondering that - we have 2 males and me and one toilet, it gets cleaned once a week and takes only a couple of minutes (even when I deep clean, once every few years it is not that bad)

Your males must aim better than mine! Every single time I use the main loo, I have to mop the floor. So I only use the ensuite, and restrict my loo cleaning to Monday and Friday. Every school holidays, I make the boys unscrew the lid and seat and I soak it in disinfectant and clean underneath.

#59 mayahlb

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:39 PM

Toilet cleaning - 1 toilet in a house with 3 males. 1 of which is one of the grossest kids and has appalling aim. Apparently he gets bored and distracted in the 2 mins it takes to wee and it ends up freaking everywhere. I make him clean the whole room  (walls/floor/door/outside of the toilet) with antibacterial wipes daily now and then clean the toilet every 2nd day...

#60 Jane Jetson

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:41 PM

View PostZeppelina, on 10 April 2019 - 02:02 PM, said:

A few times a week we also do a 10 minute super-speed tidy up, usually before or after dinner. I set the alarm on my phone, and we see how much of the house we can tidy in 10 mins. The kids love waiting for the alarm to go off, and they get excited to see how much they can do in that time. The cleaning often continues past that 10 mins, as they are 'in the zone'.

Nice!

I also do this, but mine act like I've sent them to a Soviet labour camp...

#61 Sweet.Pea

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:51 PM

To be honest, I set aside some time (usually nap time), then I clean what I think is important.

After that we sit or play in the clean area, then if I need to be in the messy area, I just busy myself on the phone so I don't notice it.

As for people who judge, don't invite them over. And if they judge, go grab the mop and bucket for them.

#62 JBH

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:52 PM

View PostJane Jetson, on 10 April 2019 - 11:02 AM, said:

I basically just got on top of living in a very messy house.

I mean, I don't love the laundry everywhere at the moment, but we've all had colds so we've let it slide more than usual, and the place is not great. DH cracked first and has been giving the kitchen a pretty serious clean the last day or two, so that's good.

Once kids are older you can utilise child labour and make them clean up the loungeroom/hang out the washing/do the washing up. There is whinging to deal with, but it's much more tolerable than doing it yourself.

Everyone told me this would get better at high school. Nope. There are MORE notes. Polluting my inbox daily. Gah.

I’m a big supporter of public education, but my friend with kids in private school told me she only has to sign one note at the beginning of the year to say the school can take the kids where they like and do what they want and charge her for it. No more notes. There are days I think that would be worth the school fees.

#63 seayork2002

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:57 PM

View PostJBH, on 10 April 2019 - 02:52 PM, said:

I’m a big supporter of public education, but my friend with kids in private school told me she only has to sign one note at the beginning of the year to say the school can take the kids where they like and do what they want and charge her for it. No more notes. There are days I think that would be worth the school fees.

I only have the one rugrat and I am with you 100%

'x needs the toilet, sign here'

'bring 24.39 cents wearing a ninja costume in reverse and do a funny walk while simultaneously completing a 3 page waiver to let your child turn on a tap in the garden area'

ok I may be exaggerating a little BUT MAKE IT STOP!!!!

#64 Zeppelina

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:19 PM

View PostJane Jetson, on 10 April 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:

Nice!

I also do this, but mine act like I've sent them to a Soviet labour camp...
I'm waiting for my 7.5yo to start doing the same. I presume it will happen sooner rather than later!

#65 Kallie88

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:21 PM

Short answer i don't lol

I have piles of laundry in my lounge room right now, toys strewn across the house, dishes piled on the sink and I'm not worrying about most of it coz I'm sick. When I'm better it'll be a little bit tidier but not much haha.

#66 Jane Jetson

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:22 PM

View PostJBH, on 10 April 2019 - 02:52 PM, said:

Oh.

And here have I been growling to DH, "We should've gone public, I bet they wouldn't be this insane about telling parents absolutely everything that's going on, every time the kid takes a breath or something".

Must've picked the wrong private school, lol

#67 JBH

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:39 PM

View PostJane Jetson, on 10 April 2019 - 03:22 PM, said:

Oh.

And here have I been growling to DH, "We should've gone public, I bet they wouldn't be this insane about telling parents absolutely everything that's going on, every time the kid takes a breath or something".

Must've picked the wrong private school, lol

I think it must need to be a super posh one where they feel entitled to do what they like!

#68 Jane Jetson

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:48 PM

You may be right JBH!!

#69 blueskies12

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:35 PM

Oh Drat, big hugs. I am the same. 15 months ago this was me. Unfortunately, I have anxiety and my anxiety peaks with mess. only realised this after children. I don't cope well with mess at all (the joke is on me with having kids!). I actually wish I could be a relaxed type of person. I dream of being that type of person. Too uptight!

What has helped me is writing a list including- make breakfast and wash up. I tick off them and even though it's the basics, it makes me feel better if that makes sense. I feel like I have succeeded then!

I also have one area of the house where the kids can go crazy. It's our patio.... I have let them run riot there. Kind of like an enclosed play room really. This gives them their freedom. But then that keeps a room or two inside relatively tidy. Do you have an enclosed room that you can shut off and so never need to tidy?

Decluttering majorly. Putting boxes of toys high up in the cupboard and then swapping toy boxes.

Using the dryer a lot, not to mention taking every short cut with cooking, (particularly for the toddler).

Most of all realising that if you have got clean clothes to wear and food in your tummies, and the kids have survived, you are indeed winning!!

And it is so horrible to think that anyone could be commenting when you have a newborn....or toddlers. Seriously.....awful.

#70 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:03 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 10 April 2019 - 08:09 AM, said:

You have a newborn and a 2 year old. Anyone judging you on your housekeeping can go throw themselves off a pier.

I want to tell you it gets better, but really it doesn’t. Stuff is insidious. Even when you try to get rid of stuff, it breeds in contempt.

I love this post Riotproof! You have captured life as a parent truthfully, and supportively at the same time :p

#71 Silverstreak

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:05 PM

Pfft, unless your family members each have a newborn and toddler themselves, they can shut the hell up!

I only have the one child, but what has helped is stackable containers, cabinets for books (so I can shut the door on them, but DS can open it whenever he wants), a large wicker basket for toys and my child getting older. I always have baskets of washing on my table as it's easier to keep DS' clothes downstairs.

Oh yeah, I love my slow cooker. And the calendar on my computer, I put everything on it.

And I change my bed linen once a month. If anyone doesn't like it, they can come over and change my sheets and then cook me dinner and give me a foot massage.

Hang in there, you are doing a sensational job, truly.

#72 Crombek

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:14 PM

Well tonight I: scrambled to get dinner on the table when we got home at 6pm. Yelled at the boys to unpack the dishwasher while I served it. Tried to feed the over it toddler. Yelled at the 5 year old for about 40 mins to eat before I gave up on that. Tried to do the dishes while yelling at oldest to do homework for 20 mins. Yelled at 5 year old yo stop annoying him. Yelled at 5 year old to stop annoying toddler. Yelled at 5 year old to get in pjs while he had a meltdown from the yelling. Wrestled toddler into pjs while she yelled at the indignity. Yelled at oldest to get dressed. Yelled & physically forced teeth to be brushed. Attempted to breastfeed toddler while on the floor of oldest room attempting to listen to his reader while 5 year old annoyed everyone and had another meltdown. Put everyone to bed. Looked at 2 giant piles of washing. Cried.

#73 mum2jp

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:30 PM

Mess makes me stressed but i have had to lower my standards since having kids.

Things i have found helps with kids toys(mine are 8 and 3 now) is limit the amount of toys with little pieces and have a place for things (we have a cube unit with boxes labelled by placing a photo on front so even little kids can pack away for example: kitchen toys, cars, blocks, musical toys, books). This means they can get one box out for example to play kitchens or cars and not fishing through a whole box of toys. Also just tidy once at the end of the day it's pointless picking things up all day when they just pull it out again. If you have vistors through the day just tell them to mind their step the kid/s have been busy playing.

#74 lizzzard

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:15 PM

Buy 2 x large Billy cupboards from Ikea (floor-to-ceiling, double doors) and chuck everything in. Voila - tidy house.

#75 Ellie bean

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:15 AM

Yeah have a room where you can chuck everything in

Look it’s super easy for us to keep the house clean now with a 5 and 6yo in full time school, but when they were sick babies 12 months apart that you couldn’t put down and if one wasn’t screaming, the other one was, it was a nightmare and anyone who wanted to judge could **** off. I think there was a 6 month period where the only cleaning the floor got was from the dogs tongues (thank god we had tiles). FIL did come round and say “geez you should mow the lawn” to DH- I went off a bit and said he could either mow it himself or never mention it again- to his credit he mowed it that afternoon and never ever mentioned it again!

You’re in the trenches- fed and loved is all that matters right now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.