teenage wages

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 me_mum2

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:59 AM

So most fast food jobs pay $8-$10 per hour for young teens.
When I was 14 I worked at a takeaway shop and was getting $10 per hour and that was 26 years ago!!!  What the ?
Am I missing something, have wages for teens not increased in 26yrs or do you think I was paid more that most at that time?

#2 hills mum bec

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:13 AM

This says that under 16 award rate for fast fast is $10.39/hour.  I would say that 26 years ago you might have been paid over the award rate as $10/hour for a 14yo seems high for back then.  When I started working at a supermarket when I was 15 in 1991 I was getting paid just under $7/hour.  My DD14 has just started working in a supermarket and she gets paid just under $12/hour.

Edited by hills mum bec, 09 April 2019 - 10:15 AM.

#3 spartan_mum

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:16 AM

When I started working for a well known fast food chain in 1994 and my hourly rate was $4.53 an hour plus $1 casual loading...so seems about right to me

#4 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:23 AM

I remember my first checkout chick paypacket at 14 years was a grand $3.25 per hour in 1988.

With various loadings I was making about $20 for 4 hours on a Thursday night.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 09 April 2019 - 10:24 AM.

#5 BusbyWilkes

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:31 AM

Fast food (and general retail too I think) also doesn't have loading for nights/weekend work anymore, like it did previously.
My young teenager's job comes under a different award. They get $11 an hour weekdays and $18 an hour on Sundays!

#6 71Cath

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:33 AM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 09 April 2019 - 10:23 AM, said:

I remember my first checkout chick paypacket at 14 years was a grand $3.25 per hour in 1988.

With various loadings I was making about $20 for 4 hours on a Thursday night.

We are the same vintage!  My first pay packet was $27.59 for 2 x 4 hour shifts ($3.17 per hour from memory)

#7 babybug15

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:37 AM

View Postspartan_mum, on 09 April 2019 - 10:16 AM, said:

When I started working for a well known fast food chain in 1994 and my hourly rate was $4.53 an hour plus $1 casual loading...so seems about right to me

I had similar rates for a large department store in the mid-90s. And I remember my aunt being horrified my cousin & I were so happy to be getting <$5/hr in our first jobs.

OP I think you were on a sweet deal back in the day!

#8 seayork2002

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:43 AM

I worked (at school then casual whenever after that) in early to mid 90's not sure what hourly rate but my mum says is was a lot (she worked at the same place as me) but some weeks on my casual rate i was earning $500 ish back then.

I did not get this every week as I worked all different hours different days.

#9 Mishu

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:14 AM

How do PPs remember their hourly rate from when they were teenagers? I've worked since I was 15 and there's no way I can remember details like that :o  

I do remember my first 'professional' role when I was about 24/25, degree qualified and working in a full-time job  was $28K in 1994, so about $14/hr. So your rate of $10/hr for your first job OP was great (esp for 14!) - was it a casual rate that included loadings?

#10 71Cath

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:28 AM

View PostMishu, on 09 April 2019 - 11:14 AM, said:

How do PPs remember their hourly rate from when they were teenagers? I've worked since I was 15 and there's no way I can remember details like that :o  

I think I was just so thrilled with my first pay packet, it's seared in my memory.

#11 BECZ

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:50 AM

I have memory of my pay going up to $7.35.  I was either 16 or 17 as it was my first year out of home. We're talking over 20 years ago, so that sounds about right.

This was in a large supermarket and as union delegate I remember the typical pay rise was $10/week every 6 months, so a $20 weekly pay rise per year for a full timer.  Considering young people got less than half (probably closer to a third) of what a full timer got per hour, their hourly rate didn't go up much per year.

We were payed well above award rates too.
Not sure how things are these days as I haven't worked there for 13 years.

So divide $20 by 40 (usually 38, but lets just say 40) and then take a third of that, you're looking at a 15-20 cent pay rise per year for the youngest employees.

#12 Mrs Claus

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:01 PM

Teens are still teens, not always the best/fastest/competent workers (generally) their pay rates are never going to be close to an adults wage

#13 kiwimum2b

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:09 PM

My 1st job I was paid $6.07/hr and was thrilled 😂

#14 Steggles66

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:12 PM

At a well known pizza chain I was paid $5.05 an hour at the age of 15 in the year 2000. What was really inappropriate was that they charged customers a 10% surcharge on public holidays but everyone’s hourly rate remained the same!

#15 lozoodle

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:27 PM

I used to get about $8 an hour at 15 at Big W in 1996

#16 Cimbom

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:45 PM

It's another one of the great subsidies our government offers to massive multi billion dollar companies

#17 Meepy

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:16 PM

It's one of the reasons I am going to take my teenager and friends to the Change the Rules rally tomorrow. We need liveable wages, penalty rates and realistic junior rates.

#18 Fossy

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:42 PM

When I started work in 1998 I was getting $6.xx at Safeway and that was more than most of my friends.  Red rooster paid $4.xx, McDonald’s was $5.xx.  The best was target out of all the places friends worked.

#19 Lou-bags

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:18 PM

I was getting paid around $7 an hour as a full time receptionist in a small business when I was 19, a little under 20 years ago.

And around $5.80 an hour in my first job in a supermarket at 14yo. My younger sister’s first job paid her $5 an hour.

OP you were on a mighty good wicket at $10 an hour!

#20 Tweetybird91

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:43 PM

My first job was in 2006.
Fast food - I was on $7/hr

#21 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:54 PM

View PostMishu, on 09 April 2019 - 11:14 AM, said:

Because I was cranky that of my $3.25 per hour I had to pay compulsory Union Fees of $1.75 per hour reducing my money.

My first full time Professional job (1994) was $21k working 7.30am to 6.30pm most days without overtime.

#22 Bam1

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:09 PM

A wage of $2.16/hr sticks with you - although I don’t think I have ever felt as rich as I did then.

#23 Expelliarmus

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:44 PM

DS gets $8.71 but that is part time. He presumably gets holiday pay not that he’s ever taken any.

I remember Dad was paying me Award wages when I was 14ishyo and working in our business. It was $3 something in the late 80s.

My first Maccas job in 1993 was adult rate and was $7somethibg, increasing to $8something a bit more after my trial period. That was for over 18yos.

OP, you were on a good wicket by the sounds.

Edited by Expelliarmus, 09 April 2019 - 05:44 PM.

#24 bec578

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:06 PM

Yeah they have all these wonderful agreements that let them pay under the award rate usually

#25 Silverstreak

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:22 PM

In 1997 and 1998, so approx 20 years ago, when I was in my early 20s, I was getting $11 per hour working in a bakery cafe in Melbourne. I worked all day Sat and Sun, no penalty rates, which I thought was pretty crap. Duties included cash register, making coffees, table service, sweeping and mopping and cleaning out the oven once a week with oven cleaner.

I was better paid doing check out at the supermarket, as that had penalty rates in the evening. I did get free coffees at the bakery and we also got to take home old bread and cakes etc. No donating to charities allowed, in case they got sued.

Just read some other responses, gee whiz, some of those wages were much worse than mine!

Actually, I think working check out is still one of the best paid jobs I've ever done, particularly if you had an evening gig. Then there was the 5% staff discount, which was great for shopping and you could get discounts for stores under the umbrella company as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.