The Ordinary (products)

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 c.sanders

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:37 AM

This is a bit of a PSA for people like me who just don't have the time or energy to Think about their skin care while managing life.

This line of skin care is amazing and very very cheap.  Average product price is about $10

I finished breastfeeding last October and my skin went to crap with massive pimples non stop. Overall it was so shocking that in January o started using this range of products (the ordinary). Initially I broke out a little (which is apparently to be expected) but since then my skin has done a 180. I just thought I would share how amazing and fast acting they have been.  I'm still trying to figure out the right combination of products but I'm so glad I've discovered them and my skin hasn't looked this nice in years! I honestly wish I'd discovered them sooner.

The actual reason for my post is that more recently I went into their store at The Rocks Sydney and I was blown away by the level of customer service.  Here I was buying a $10 item and they welcomed me in,  sat me down and were just lovely. Not pushy at all and no upsell. They also provide a 12month refund policy if you are not happy. Talking to them they were able to help me figure out a better combo for what I wanted and their recommendations were amazing! It actually improved what I was doing even more.

Highly recommended products and people.

#2 spartan_mum

Posted 24 March 2019 - 08:22 AM

I agree, I didn’t realise they had a store in Sydney. Might have to check it out next time I’m there.

#3 SFmummyto3

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:59 AM

Agreed! I have not been to a shop but buy online and their products have improved my skin a lot.

#4 Hands Up

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:58 PM

I love their products too, although the vitamin c eye care definitely wasn’t right for my skin.

I use about five of their products:-)

#5 Mmmcheese

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:00 PM

What are people using? I tried using the recommended regime for my skin and I ended up with my skin feeling like it had a mild sunburn. And my skin is generally not sensitive! Wonder if I'm using something too strong?

#6 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:54 PM

I didn't know about the refund. I bought the Alpha Lipoic Acid serum and it was terrible for my skin. Felt like sunburn.  I'd love a refund.

#7 c.sanders

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:37 PM

One complaint I do have is the crappy info on the internet. Including their website. Initially I was doing salicylic acid and niacinamide but not doing it so right. But it did clear off the pimples. Going to their store really helped

I'm now trying to get rid of the scarring and pigmentation. For this I now do:
lactic acid and granactive retinoid every second night.
Every other night I do the salicylic acid then the vitamin c powder mixed with hyaluronic acid.

During the day I do salicylic acid, niacinamide and sunscreen (I found a matte moisturising sunscreen at the pharmacy that was super cheap called Hamilton)

Their new squaline cleanser is pretty cool though I used it wrong for a week.

Their hair peptide is also nice and I've started getting a few baby hairs.

Some mistakes I made was:
- not waiting a minute between layers.

- Putting the salicylic acid all over. It's better as a spot treatment dabbed on.

- niacinamide shouldn't be mixed with the other stuff in using except for the salicylic acid.

#8 c.sanders

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:38 PM

Mmmcheese, on 24 March 2019 - 01:00 PM, said:

What are people using? I tried using the recommended regime for my skin and I ended up with my skin feeling like it had a mild sunburn. And my skin is generally not sensitive! Wonder if I'm using something too strong?

What did you use?
Some can't be used together.

#9 wallofdodo

Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:37 AM

I use the buffet in the morning, and vitamin C suspension 23%.

I was using them together, but then read I shouldn't.

So I do the vitamn C at night, mixed with a night cream (its really strong, I had no idea when I bought it) and the buffet serum in the morning.

I think, that the vitamin C is discolouring my fingernails, but not 100% sure. Is anyone else experiencing this. I tend to rub excess into my hands.

#10 lozoodle

Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:45 AM

I love their products!

#11 boatiebabe

Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:53 AM

My sister just put me onto one of their products - Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion.

I put it on at night after I've cleansed and moisturised. I'm really liking the way my skin feels since using it.

Not really sure what it's supposed to do though!!!

#12 Moukmouk

Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:55 AM

I started using them after someone else recommended them on EB! (I think it was the "do you take care of yourself" thread). I use the buffet serum in the morning with the natural moiusturising factors and the granactive retinoid and moisturiser in the evening. About every 2-3 nights i use the vitamin C suspension. It does sting a bit. I havent really noticed any redness. I've also been really good with my sunscreen which is probably helping as well. I love the Kiehls sensitive one, and good old clinique city block with a bit of a tint.
I've definitely noticed and improvement in my skin, and some of the pigmentation is improving.
Thanks for the tip c.sanders - I might just try and pop into the store to get some more exact recommendations.

#13 Jingleflea

Posted 25 March 2019 - 10:26 AM

I use their buffet at night and their moisturiser in the morning.

In winter I use their Argan oil after the Buffet (my skin was a lot dryer than I realised) and in summer, rose hip oil at night.

The lactic acid didn't seem to do much and I haven't tried anything else yet.

My skin feels so much better now and my foundation looks perfect, not patchy like it used to.

I buy through Priceline but they don't have everything, so maybe I should buy via Adore Beauty online?

I was wondering about the vit C and the other products.

#14 Ragdoll01

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:05 PM

LOVE love The Ordinary, I use their Hyaluronic, Niacinamide & Mandelic Acid. I switched from Lactic Acid to Mandelic after I felt it was too strong for my face. Ended up using it on my armpit (I bought 4 bottles... "by mistake") - I read somewhere it's an alternative to deodorant & holy moly it is. I only use it every 3/4 days on my armpits before bed & nothing else & no smell whatsoever regardless of how much I sweat!

#15 c.sanders

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:35 PM

wallofdodo, on 25 March 2019 - 09:37 AM, said:

I use the buffet in the morning, and vitamin C suspension 23%.

I was using them together, but then read I shouldn't.

So I do the vitamn C at night, mixed with a night cream (its really strong, I had no idea when I bought it) and the buffet serum in the morning.

I think, that the vitamin C is discolouring my fingernails, but not 100% sure. Is anyone else experiencing this. I tend to rub excess into my hands.

I read it to mean I should wash off excess which I do.  I don't rub it into my hands.  I'm not surprised because vitamin c does change teeth enamel so makes sense it could change nail enamel too.

#16 Jingleflea

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:51 PM

You use the lactic acid on your armpits??

#17 Ragdoll01

Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:03 PM

Jenflea, on 25 March 2019 - 06:51 PM, said:

You use the lactic acid on your armpits??

Yes, at night. I basically had 4 bottles left so I googled other uses for the acids & saw people use it for their armpits. Now I don't use deodorant & TBH I don't sweat as much anymore & I only use a drop or two every few days.

#18 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 25 March 2019 - 10:39 PM

I have 3 products:

Lactic Acid
Matrixyl
Granactive Retinoid

They have been okay. Don't really know how to use them properly. I get mine at Priceline.

#19 c.sanders

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:27 PM

~THE~MAGICIAN~, on 25 March 2019 - 10:39 PM, said:

I have 3 products:

Lactic Acid
Matrixyl
Granactive Retinoid

They have been okay. Don't really know how to use them properly. I get mine at Priceline.

Question is what are you trying to achieve

#20 JustMyGirl

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:39 PM

c.sanders, on 24 March 2019 - 11:37 PM, said:

I'm now trying to get rid of the scarring and pigmentation. For this I now do:
lactic acid and granactive retinoid every second night

I thought those two were not to be mixed? Or do you mean you alternate them?
Agree that the hardest part is learning enough about how to use the products.
I’m very happy with how my skin has responded to these products. I use the Gran active retinoids, lactic acid, moisturising factors. I also use a cleanser and vitamin c from hylamide- ordinary sister brand.

#21 Flimsy*But*Fun

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:07 PM

Most of these products' ingredients are chemical exfoliators, so they help get rid of flaky, dry, dead surface skin cells.  Usually makes your face feel much smoother, but can be too strong for some sensitive skins.
Another product that does this well is Paula's Choice, but they're more expensive (although not exorbitant compared to make up counter brands like Lauder, Lancome, Clarins etc).

#22 PabloS

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:13 PM

I thought they went bust?

#23 wilding

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:38 PM

ShelbyP, on 26 March 2019 - 09:13 PM, said:

I thought they went bust?

The Ordinary founder died aged 40, but the brand is still going.

#24 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:31 AM

wilding, on 26 March 2019 - 09:38 PM, said:

The Ordinary founder died aged 40, but the brand is still going.

Beforehand he actually closed the physical stores in the US for a few days and was threatening to close down the business. The parent company went to court and removed him. A few months later he died.

#25 wilding

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:58 AM

Kiwi Bicycle, on 27 March 2019 - 10:31 AM, said:

Beforehand he actually closed the physical stores in the US for a few days and was threatening to close down the business. The parent company went to court and removed him. A few months later he died.

Yep, I know. Read about that and all the drama regarding his insta posts and all that jazz awhile back. Wouldn't of known about him dying otherwise ;) But cheers for that :thumbs:

Edited by wilding, 27 March 2019 - 11:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.