Have you claimed on travel insurance?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Lifesgood

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:48 PM

If so, who was the insurance with and how did you find the experience? What did you claim for?

#2 Apageintime

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:59 PM

Used columbus direct -  claimed for a lost passport and rerouted travel because of lost passport, super easy and fast. Had money within 24 hours of submitting paperwork

Used RACV and claimed for a Dr visit for a rash, was again super easy and fast to claim. Had money really quickly again too

#3 No Drama Please

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:01 PM

Travel Insurance Direct. Minor car accident. They couldn’t have been better. Customer service lady was really nice and even sent “don’t worry accidents happen” email lol.

#4 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:03 PM

Yes. We have claimed medical (over $5k worth), minor medical (Dr visit and script overseas) and damage to a leather jacket during travel.

The larger medical costs required our normal Dr to fill in forms to show medical stuff was not part of a pre existing condition.

Minor medical was just submit claim.

Jacket damage was cleaning costs reimbursed so had to show photos of damage.

#5 eachschoolholidays

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:12 PM

Have claimed on credit card insurance for a stolen handbag with an expensive camera. No hassles.

#6 born.a.girl

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:20 PM

Timely topic, Lifesgood!  I'm just reading through the T & C of our credit card insurance.   It's our first trip since we had it, and didn't have to claim anything previous two times with Covermore, so interested to follow.

Mostly the anecdata seems to be that separate insurance is more comprehensive, but in one way, our CC insurance is better (asthma up to 80, covermore is 60).

I did read one horror story of a woman who developed a serious lung condition, not related to asthma, but because she was over 60, hadn't declared her mild asthma, the insurance co (quite rightly) wouldn't pay out as they clearly say they won't for any lung condition, regardless of whether asthma had anything to do with it, if you don't declare it.  T & Cs!

#7 Coffeegirl

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:35 PM

born.a.girl.   We always carry both our CC insurance (via Am Ex) and a stand-alone cover with Covedmore when we go to the US.    

AmEx has better coverage for things like car hire and lost luggage, where Covermore is better for medical

We’ve claimed twice on Covermore.  Once in Canada when DH had an asthma attack.   We paid upfront and just claimed reimbursement when we got home.  No issues

Second was DD on a trip to Hawaii.   She forgot her pill and as it really regulates her period, it wasn’t something she could go without for a few weeks.   Again, we paid upfront for the urgent care visit and script. Covermore reimbursed us when we got back and put in the claim

#8 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:49 PM

We claimed once 10 years ago, we had QBE and they were fantastic. It was for an injury and surgery, and they ended up rebooking my flights home business class as I needed the room. We calculated that it would have been over $20 000, but we never saw hospital bills etc. It was 10 years ago though.

#9 Lifesgood

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:04 PM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 19 March 2019 - 03:03 PM, said:

Yes. We have claimed medical (over $5k worth), minor medical (Dr visit and script overseas) and damage to a leather jacket during travel.

The larger medical costs required our normal Dr to fill in forms to show medical stuff was not part of a pre existing condition.

Minor medical was just submit claim.

Jacket damage was cleaning costs reimbursed so had to show photos of damage.
Who was the insurer please?

#10 Lifesgood

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:21 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 19 March 2019 - 03:20 PM, said:

Timely topic, Lifesgood!  I'm just reading through the T & C of our credit card insurance.   It's our first trip since we had it, and didn't have to claim anything previous two times with Covermore, so interested to follow.

Mostly the anecdata seems to be that separate insurance is more comprehensive, but in one way, our CC insurance is better (asthma up to 80, covermore is 60).

I did read one horror story of a woman who developed a serious lung condition, not related to asthma, but because she was over 60, hadn't declared her mild asthma, the insurance co (quite rightly) wouldn't pay out as they clearly say they won't for any lung condition, regardless of whether asthma had anything to do with it, if you don't declare it.  T & Cs!

I was comparing various policies to check which ones covered what and then I read some reviews with horror stories about claims. Where people couldn't get through on the phone, got no response to emails etc.

Re the lady with asthma - in my experience if you say you have mild asthma they simply refuse to cover any lung-related problems at all.

Can you explain to me again the CC insurance and how it works? Do you have to pay for everything on the CC? Because we have already paid for our flights in cash.

#11 polythene

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:21 PM

We have claimed once on our travel insurance. It was the insurance we get with our Westpac black credit card.  My husband broke his wrist while skiing in the US. No problems with claiming, he rang up while still in the US and it was sorted out before we got home two weeks later.

To validate the CC insurance you need to pay for your flights and accommodation on it, I think, which we would have done anyway to get the rewards points.

Edited by polythene, 19 March 2019 - 04:22 PM.

#12 Luci

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:39 PM

I have claimed medical expenses twice from Covermore and found them to be very good, paid up no problem.

#13 IamOzgirl

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:40 PM

View PostLifesgood, on 19 March 2019 - 04:21 PM, said:

I was comparing various policies to check which ones covered what and then I read some reviews with horror stories about claims. Where people couldn't get through on the phone, got no response to emails etc.

Re the lady with asthma - in my experience if you say you have mild asthma they simply refuse to cover any lung-related problems at all.

Can you explain to me again the CC insurance and how it works? Do you have to pay for everything on the CC? Because we have already paid for our flights in cash.

It depends on the insurance T&C.

It's not flights per sue. It will say in the T&C. For my parents they only had to put $450 (so a couple of nights accom - westpac) for me citibank wanted flights. And I can't remember ANZ.

#14 born.a.girl

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:50 PM

View PostLifesgood, on 19 March 2019 - 04:21 PM, said:

I think you get horror stories across the board, which makes it hard.  The man who wrote the letter about his wife (they were OOP tens of thousands of dollars), had taken out separate insurance.

You don't have to pay for everything on the CC.  I think with our Westpac one it's $500, so not a lot.  Then down further though, they talk about this:

Transit accident insurance policy.Transit accident insurance is a cover available to Westpac cardholders. This cover provides certain accidental death and injury cover for cardholders who sustain an injurywhile riding as a passenger in (not as a pilot, driver or crew member), or boarding or alighting a plane, bus, train or ferry as outlined in this policy. However the cover provided does not include benefits as prescribed under the Insurance Contract Act 1984.This cover is available on trips where prior to the trip, the entire payment for the trip was charged to the cardholder’s eligible credit card account

I have no idea whether that's a separate policy, or part of the one that's automatically included in the travel one.  One of my questions!

Our CC covers automatically for asthma up to 80, provided there has been no need for increased management in the last 12 months.

(Covermore, it's 60, and I'm 66, I will be getting a quote.)

My problem with the cc one (and it's only cancellation costs, rather than being medically transferred back - a big different) is that that also applies to all the people you're entitled to come back for.   My sister went to emergency with chest pain a few months ago - does that mean if she has a heart attack I'm not covered?   Also on my list!

Despite the asthma bit, Covermore (and presumably others) have a longer list of things they automatically cover, like thyroid, arthritis, menopause (??? - that's an illness??, I guess they mean including treatment for it).

I'll probably end up doubling up, wimp that I am. At least that means I don't have to declare anything to anyone, as asthma's covered with the CC, and everything else is automatically covered with Covermore.

#15 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:00 PM

View PostLifesgood, on 19 March 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

Who was the insurer please?

I think one was 1Cover the other Travel Insurance Direct.

I always used Mondial (now Allianz) travel insurance policies. So both times I was dealing with Mondial.

#16 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:03 PM

I have had triple insurance (not that I needed to claim) as I had CC, Club Med (compulsory) and DHs work policy (which covers family too).

#17 born.a.girl

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:05 PM

BTW Lifesgood, Choice have done surveys of travel insurance, and also have some general articles about what to look out for.

#18 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:27 PM

We claimed a pram with covermore after the airline smashed it to pieces (was worth bloody $1500). Was pretty easy and they just reimbursed us. That was with covermore.

If you have conditions like asthma, you can notify the insurer and they might charge an extra amount to cover it or it might already be covered. We did that when we went overseas last year because I had heard horror stories of things happening and the insurer refusing to cover because it was something that “might” have been caused My your child’s diagnosis or similar. (We paid extra to cover my children, 1 for asd and 1 for adhd. Mainly because they take medications).

#19 2bundles

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:30 PM

Three times with credit card insurance.
1. approx $80k medical evacuation from Westpac/Zurich
2.  Cancellation of future planned trip due to injury from claim no 1. ANZ/QBE
3.  Prepaid hotel and activities when airline strike cancelled flight.  NAB/QBE

Very easy every time.  

I always read the policies to make sure we meet the criteria.

Most we have had include mild asthma, high blood pressure (if controlled by medication).

Edited by 2bundles, 19 March 2019 - 05:46 PM.

#20 marley*and*me

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:04 PM

Credit Card Insurance.

Was due to change in plans and flights after the Christchurch earthquake several years ago.  We had planned on attending RWC games there, but due to the earthquake we had to change our plans and flights.

We had paid for everything on our CBA CC and they helped us with flight changes, rebooking hotels,etc and paid any change fees.

#21 born.a.girl

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:09 PM

View Post2bundles, on 19 March 2019 - 05:30 PM, said:

Three times with credit card insurance.
1. approx $80k medical evacuation from Westpac/Zurich
2.  Cancellation of future planned trip due to injury from claim no 1. ANZ/QBE
3.  Prepaid hotel and activities when airline strike cancelled flight.  NAB/QBE

Very easy every time.  

I always read the policies to make sure we meet the criteria.

Most we have had include mild asthma, high blood pressure (if controlled by medication).

Wow $80k, that's impressive.

Covermore policy on high blood pressure only automatically includes it IF it is well controlled AND you have had no change in medications in the previous year, OR are having any investigations into it.   (Obviously others are different, this is Westpac/Alliance.)

They say the same about high cholesterol, mine's a fraction high.

They also only cover both if you have no other cardiovascular conditions, so I'm not even sure if having both means they won't cover it automatically.

Asthma again, is only covered automatically with Covermore if you've had no exacerbation in the condition in the last 12 months.

So much fine print ... does my head in.  Those things would trap an awful lot of people.

Given covermore want $900 for a month, I might look more closely at the free cc one and religiously fill out the 'other conditons' bit.

#22 Grassyrat

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:11 PM

Yes, I claimed on insurance provided by AIG last year for life saving surgery in Europe.

They covered all my surgery costs (2 surgeons, anaesthetist, scrub nurse and ICU nurse to be called in after hours) all medical imaging to diagnose my condition in the private hospital, my 7 night stay in hospital and all my food etc

They then reimbursed all travel we couldn't undertake due to my surgery.

All up AIG paid over $35000 in hospital and travel costs, I paid €120 as my excess. Not bad for free travel insurance as we have to PHI with HCF. And what was better, I didn't pay up front for surgery as I knew it would be very expensive, they paid before I was discharged from hospital.

#23 Renovators delight

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:14 PM

My parents joined Probus just so they could get the travel insurance - Dad has a pretty complicated medical history, things like cancer, heart failure etc. They have claimed several trips as refunds for medical reasons, and never had an issue.

I think you need to meet some kind of age group requirement to join Probus but not sure.

#24 born.a.girl

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:28 PM

Sorry to hijack, Lifesgood.

Can I ask those who've claimed for medical issues - in all cases, was there either zero pre existing evidence of the condition, OR every ailment that required a prescription or management in the previous 12 months was declared?

#25 Lifesgood

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:47 PM

I found a policy I like with 'Zoom Travel Insurance'. They cover a list of pre-existing conditions including asthma (me) and osteopenia (DH). The reviews are good for claims.

Does anyone have experience with them?

Also, we have CBA platinum Visa cards, any experience of using the TI through them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.