Montessori preschool transition to mainstream primary

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SuburbanPlum

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:08 PM

I'm interested in opinions about how kids who've attended Montessori preschool fair when they start mainstream primary school. We're quite keen on Montessori as a kinder option but I'd like to have an idea of whether this could make starting school more difficult. TIA.

#2 RuntotheRiver

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:14 PM

I read an article today how primary  school to mainstream secondary,  they are 2-3 years behind.

Kinder should be play based anyway,  regardless of stream. Wouldn’t be an issue I would think.

#3 ERipley

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:37 PM

We’ve just done this. We loved Montessori. My son had a horrible experience in his first kindergarten to the extent that he was terrified of other children. We moved him to Montessori and they really do teach children to be respectful to each other. It’s not perfect and of course 4 year olds will act like 4 year olds, but at Montessori there’s always someone there to help, redirect, give guidance. It gave my son the reassurance he desperately needed. I honestly don’t know where we would be without that.

But! It has been a bit of a shock for my son to suddenly go to a mainstream school where some kids are jerks and they’re not pulled up for it. On the other hand he has been taught that some kids are really nice and that teachers do care so ultimately I think that’s worth it.

Education-wise the Montessori kids at my son’s kindergarten are light years ahead of other children their age. Some of those kids started formally learning their alphabet at 3 and counting to 10000 during kindergarten so FYOS is a step backwards.

I would absolutely choose Montessori kindergarten again though it is very expensive. I have also heard the quality can be dependant on who is in charge at that particular kindergarten. We had a very positive experience though.

#4 lizzzard

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:03 PM

Our two had no problem at all.

The reason we chose a Montessori preschool was because my mother, a FYOS teacher in the public system for 30+ years, said her personal observation was that kids she'd seen starting school after being in a Montessori preschool adapted the best to the FYOS. I can understand that with our experience -Montessori tends to be quite structured and has a strong emphasis on independence (eg going to the toilet, taking care of your belongings, etc) which can be helpful when they go to school.

#5 KnightsofNi

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:15 PM

My son when Montessori pre-school to mainstream primary with no problems.

#6 ERipley

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:55 AM

lizzzard, on 08 April 2019 - 11:03 PM, said:

Our two had no problem at all.

The reason we chose a Montessori preschool was because my mother, a FYOS teacher in the public system for 30+ years, said her personal observation was that kids she'd seen starting school after being in a Montessori preschool adapted the best to the FYOS. I can understand that with our experience -Montessori tends to be quite structured and has a strong emphasis on independence (eg going to the toilet, taking care of your belongings, etc) which can be helpful when they go to school.

The assistant principal at my son’s school quietly told me she can usually guess the kindergarten a child went to based on a child’s behaviour when they start school. She was very happy to have another Montessori kid coming.

#7 Future-self

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:06 AM

TBH this will depend on the school. Their FYOS teacher. And your child. You cannot guarantee that your individual child won’t struggle with some aspects of primary school regardless of their preschool type.
  For us, we didn’t  really see how the Montessori Kindy (preschool in my state) differed in any way from the community kindys in my area - in fact the kindy we chose one had a much bigger and better outdoor areas- so Montessori was not worth the extra dollars and travel time for us. So just make sure you compare even if you like the philosophy, in practice the Preschools may not be ‘better’.

#8 nom_de_plume

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:22 PM

I agree that there are vast differences in the quality of Montessori preschool depending on the educators. We had a great experience with ours and they transitioned to a mainstream primary school with no issues.

#9 LambChop

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:51 PM

Ours had no problem whatsoever and have always remained at the head of the class in terms of self learning, self organisation and general respect towards others.  I Highly recommend it!  (Mine did most of primary school Montessori)

(ps, Montessori is an approved national curriculum https://www.acara.ed...tion-register#3
so I don't know what measure has been used to determine 'behind')

#10 SuburbanPlum

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:54 PM

Thanks all for your valuable responses. Apologies for the slow follow up!

#11 ~river song~

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:04 PM

View PostRuntotheRiver, on 08 April 2019 - 10:14 PM, said:

I read an article today how primary  school to mainstream secondary,  they are 2-3 years behind.

Kinder should be play based anyway,  regardless of stream. Wouldn’t be an issue I would think.

Behind what? Behind who?

#12 ~river song~

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:08 PM

My nearly 7yo attended a monstessori preschool/kinder from age 2.5 to 5.5 and adapted to fyos without a problem. If anything she was ahead of the class a bit in terms of being able to focus on a task or activity without as much supervision or additional guidance due to the autonomy from her preschool days. She relates and converses easily with adults, her fine motor skills were excellent and she has a wide range of interests.
I’m always amused at how public school system is deemed the standard or better than other education models and in the same breath can be criticised for its failings in terms of the model of education and any shortcomings.

#13 Ollie83

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:36 PM

I worked as an ECT in a LDC Montessori & had a lot of communication and feedback from teachers that the Montessori children were really academically advanced for the markers coming into FYOS but also were equiped with social/emotional skills that others had not yet developed. If you feel Montessori is a good fit for your child go for, I didn’t see and issues at all for the children who went to school.

Edited by Ollie83, 03 May 2019 - 10:37 PM.

#14 Kabu84

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:37 PM

View PostRuntotheRiver, on 08 April 2019 - 10:14 PM, said:

Wasn’t that an article about Steiner/Waldorf education? Unless there was also one about Montessori. Will try and find a link the the article I read...

#15 Kabu84

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:40 PM

https://www.mamamia....steiner-school/

This is the one that I saw about Steiner and being 2-3 years behind. Was that the one you saw?
We’ll still be sending our daughter to our local Steiner school for preschool (no Montessori here).

#16 RuntotheRiver

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:50 PM

I’ve seen that one, there are another but it was referring to children moving during primary school years. (Not from Pre-school.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.