Are you spending less?

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#1 Tessied

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:21 AM

My business has been around for 7 years.  The last two years have been awesome, very busy etc etc.

This year, MUCH MUCH slower.  My first instinct of course is to panic and wonder what I'm doing wrong, but a lot of people are saying business is slow.

So are you spending less?  Would you have gotten a newborn photography session last year but not this year?  or a family session?

I'm trying to figure out how to get past this block, or what I can do to get more enquiries!

#2 ~J_WTF~

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:24 AM

With photography I think people are just more DIY these days especially when we have smart phones with decent cameras on us all the time.

There are also so many apps and tutes to help you get good pics.

#3 Tessied

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:28 AM

View Post~J_F~, on 15 March 2019 - 08:24 AM, said:

With photography I think people are just more DIY these days especially when we have smart phones with decent cameras on us all the time.

There are also so many apps and tutes to help you get good pics.

I definitely don't think any phone or tute can replicate what I do :)

#4 WTFJerk

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:31 AM

Probably not, but perhaps we’re just overloaded with photos these days

#5 Tessied

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:32 AM

View PostHypnic Jerk, on 15 March 2019 - 08:31 AM, said:

Probably not, but perhaps we’re just overloaded with photos these days

As in, photographers everywhere?

#6 ~J_WTF~

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:32 AM

Neither do I but I am just saying that people are tending to do more DIY photography these days due to cost, time and because there are ways for amateurs to make photos look decent.

#7 71Cath

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:38 AM

Technically I'm not spending "less" - all my pay gets spent!  But less and less is on anything non-essential.  I need all my money for food, mortgage, petrol, electricity etc, and things like photo sessions are the first things to go.

#8 Oriental lily

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:50 AM

I am in the cut  flower industry which is considered a none essential luxury industry .

Yep it’s been a tough start to the year  we have recently expanded our business and it’s been nerve wreaking !

It makes sense though .
Low wage growth, rising cost of living , shrinking capital in property.

Turns people in squirrels wanting to squirrel away anything they can for a rainy day and luxury items like photography ,flowers, beauty ,ect ect stuff that is ‘nice’ but not ‘needed’ is going to hit first .

So yeah if I was tighting the belt I would not pay for portrait photography .

#9 MarciaB

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:52 AM

View Post71Cath, on 15 March 2019 - 08:38 AM, said:

Technically I'm not spending "less" - all my pay gets spent!  But less and less is on anything non-essential.  I need all my money for food, mortgage, petrol, electricity etc, and things like photo sessions are the first things to go.

My University-age dd has a lot of friends who work in retail.  Almost all of them have less regular shifts than they had last year - even over Christmas and January.

So I think if retail is quiet - things like photography sessions might be too.

My own dd works part time as a swim instructor and has her pick of shifts and regularly gets asked to work elsewhere - so people are still spending money on kids swimming lessons!

#10 Demera

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:56 AM

Anything "art" based is a luxury item - so naturally first to go when there's other pressures that are more important for living.

I'll be getting newborn photos this year (but not new-newborn, as I'll wait until she's about 10 weeks old).  We'll also be getting family photos later in the year when the cousins from Ireland come to visit.  It will be the only opportunity to get full family photos, perhaps forever!  We'll be shopping carefully for something at a reasonable price though, and given the many options for photographers in the area (even though it's rural) we won't have to use the super exxy fancy photographers.

#11 jojonbeanie

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:57 AM

Do you think that displaying family photo portraits is a decorating trend that has moved on?

#12 No Drama Please

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:58 AM

Yes I also would look at a photo session as not high on my list of discretionary spending.

That said there’s a photo studio near our school that sets up stalls to hand out special offer vouchers when we have school fairs and market days etc. I know quite a lot of parents who wouldn’t go out of their way to get professional photos get one shot done, then end up booking a full session later or recommending them to other people.

(I don’t know how that works with their profit margins etc but they have been going a very long time though, so obviously works for them).

#13 Sweet.Pea

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:04 AM

View Post~J_F~, on 15 March 2019 - 08:32 AM, said:

Neither do I but I am just saying that people are tending to do more DIY photography these days due to cost, time and because there are ways for amateurs to make photos look decent.

Yep! I haven't gotten professional photos- fairly happy with what I can take.

I don't begrudge people making a living but hundreds of dollars in photos isn't in my budget.

#14 boatiebabe

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:23 AM

My DH and I are both high earners and we have certainly reduced spending significantly over the last year. We are in the last 10 years or so of our work lives and are focussing on setting ourselves up for retirement.

I have also been drinking the Marie Kondo cool aid.

Portrait photography? Never been into it and hanging large naff photos of the family around the house is not my style. Everyone has a camera/phone these days and can keep playing around until they get the photo they want.

To a certain extent they can't do that with a professional photographer. They have to accept what you have. Not to mention getting everyone looking fab and in one spot at a predetermined time might be exhausting.

I think you are in a shrinking industry which is probably going to keep getting smaller.

#15 No Drama Please

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:47 AM

View PostOriental lily, on 15 March 2019 - 08:50 AM, said:

I am in the cut  flower industry which is considered a none essential luxury industry .

Yep it’s been a tough start to the year  we have recently expanded our business and it’s been nerve wreaking !
Although flowers, (just looking at it as a layperson), that’s something that at times most people are going to need; weddings, birthdays, funerals, anniversaries, gift for a friend. Its something that you can quickly organise and send without having to make time and coordinate. It’s not like I can quickly grow flowers and hand them out!

I mean yes of course you might buy them a lot less but I think there’s always going to be a need for flowers at times whereas prof photography for the average person maybe once or twice in your life, you can probably do without it.

#16 Soontobegran

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:51 AM

I am not spending less but I am more guarded about what I spend on.

I would not buy a family portrait right now but I know many who still have so I think it depends on the demographic you are focusing on.

My DD is a designer but her clients tend to be people with more expendable income so she has been fine this year but I do understand the worries that come from being self employed.

Wishing you every good thing. We still have portraits taken 25 years ago.......they are just confined to a smaller area now in the study. We love them.

#17 RPM

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:55 AM

We own two retail businesses and the start to this year has definitely been slow - much slower than the last two years.

#18 c.sanders

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:59 AM

Do you think you need to look at other avenues to promote your business?  Does it need a refresh or some new packages and deals?

#19 SummerStar

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:01 AM

Edited by SummerStar, 15 March 2019 - 06:55 PM.

#20 EsmeLennox

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:04 AM

Unfortunately, economic data shows this to be the case. Spending has slowed, consumer confidence is down, especially on discretionary spending.

#21 eliza_non

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:09 AM

I run my own business (not photography - completely different area) and after years of too much work, it is like someone turned off the tap in October last year. It has all but dried up.
Anecdoctally others I know with small businesses have said exactly the same thing.

Consequently, I'm spending much less. I've specifically put off a holiday to Tasmania that I wanted to do this year. I'm not really impressed with the current fashion trends and quality so am not spending any money in that area either.

#22 just roses

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:22 AM

View PostTessied, on 15 March 2019 - 08:28 AM, said:

I definitely don't think any phone or tute can replicate what I do :)
I'm sure they can't, but the gap between professional and amateur has definitely shrunk in recent years.

I do value portrait photography, but invest in it rarely. We've had two shoots with the kids. One in a park and the second we did in town with street art as the backdrop. I love those shots. None are up around the house - that's not really my style either - but I love having those photos.

But we have a good camera and DH is very well capable of taking excellent photos. And my favourite photos of the kids are the candid everyday shots.

#23 Riotproof

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:30 AM

I think the posing of professional photos now is a bit naff most of the time. I’m probably not the only one.

#24 Tessied

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:32 AM

View Postjojonbeanie, on 15 March 2019 - 08:57 AM, said:

Do you think that displaying family photo portraits is a decorating trend that has moved on?

I hope not.  It does wonders for kids being surrounded by their family photos, it promotes a sense of belonging and higher self esteem!

#25 Tessied

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:33 AM

View Posteliza_non, on 15 March 2019 - 10:09 AM, said:

I run my own business (not photography - completely different area) and after years of too much work, it is like someone turned off the tap in October last year. It has all but dried up.
Anecdoctally others I know with small businesses have said exactly the same thing.

Consequently, I'm spending much less. I've specifically put off a holiday to Tasmania that I wanted to do this year. I'm not really impressed with the current fashion trends and quality so am not spending any money in that area either.

Yep, it's vaguely comforting to hear that it's all over the place and not just me and my marketing, but also sad for all of us who have put so much effort in.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.