What is wrong with my legs?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 2004member

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:36 PM

Hoping someone else may have experienced this and can offer some insight.

My legs hurt, my calves specifically. From the back of my knee down feels tight and sometimes crampy. No matter what I do, my calves are still hopelessly tight.

I have chronic shin splints that run down the front of my calves. They hurt to the touch.

My feet cramp at the drop of a hat and hurt. If I point my toes they cramp up. I've seen a podiatrist a few times and have orthotics. He dry needled my shins and that did nothing for them.

I've recently had blood tests and nothing is low (B vitamins, iron etc). I eat OK but could be better and try to walk a few times a week. I also play sport once a week. I'm a teacher and on my feet a lot which doesn't help either.

If anyone has experienced this I would love to hear your story.

#2 Caribou

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:38 PM

I don’t know, but have you approached a physiotherapist? It sounds muscular.

#3 2004member

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:39 PM

]I don’t know, but have you approached a physiotherapist? It sounds muscular.

No but I think I will have to. I've never seen a physio so I'm not certain exactly what they do.

#4 Kelly Davatari

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:41 PM

I get a hell of a lot of leg pain.

It all comes from my back and my hips. I’ve got really tight Hamstrings and ITBs. I try to do tons of stretching and rolling but I have to keep on top of my back or it all goes to sh*t!

#5 2004member

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:45 PM

Kelly have you ever seen a physio or doctor about it all?

#6 spr_maiden

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:45 PM

Maybe see a physio who can recommend a good rehab pilates instructor too.  I have chronically tight calves, and have had shin splints in the past.  I think they can be related though not always.  
Have you tried an epsom salt foot bath at night?  It may help provide a touch of relief. Sounds like it won't be an overnight fix for you though.

#7 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:51 PM

Everything sounds out of whack. I would see a physio (not the PSYCHIC that autocorrect likes to change PHYSIO to for me) for a good assessment.

Are things worse in the morning? Or at the end of the day?

The odds are that you have one area out of whack, and it is producing all of the symptoms in a chain-reaction. A good physio will start at the "top" (probably your lower back) and work their way down through the pelvis, hamstrings, quads etc right down to plantar fasciitis. There is probably one area that is causing you to compensate and throw everything else out.

#8 2004member

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:57 PM

Worse at the end of the day unless I've exercised the day before and then they are bad all day long. They ache a lot at night and I sometimes prop them up on a pillow to sleep. They also feel hot at times.

#9 cabbage88

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:59 PM

Could be anything- could be your back, your hips, could be fibro. No one can tell you really without a physio looking at what's causing it.

#10 Jenflea

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:00 PM

Magnesium might help with the cramping.

#11 ~river song~

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:01 PM

I’d see a chiro myself if I had similar. Often hip/leg and similar pain is related to our back as well and generally being out of alignment

#12 Hands Up

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:01 PM

It sounds similar to an issue I used to have. Basically I used my calves and shins when I should have been using my upper leg muscles in pilates and yoga.

I ended up with compartment syndrome (I think that is what it was called). It aches across my foot and my toes too, to the point where I thought perhaps is broken my toes!

I had a lot of physio and also had to retrain myself to isolate and use other muscles in class.

#13 notsonewone

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:05 PM

Get on the magnesium, big times.

#14 PrincessPeach

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:10 PM

I'd try a physio first, then an osteopath if you are not getting any relief.

#15 ipsee

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:15 PM

Foot cramps can be caused by taking panadol often. But I've not heard of it going right up the calf like that.

#16 littlepickle

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:19 PM

What types of shoes do you wear when at work? I have the same issues with you particularly the shin issues and cramping (arches of my feet rather than calf). I also have sacro-iliac and symohysis issues. These are all play up if I wear ballet flats, thongs or  sandles. I have found mid height heels for work and have made a huge difference, mid height boots in winter, sneakers in summer and just the odd wearing of flats. I can walk 10-12kms around Town in heels with no problems but suffer after 2kns in flats.
Good lick

#17 littlepickle

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:20 PM

Luck... stupid autocorrect

#18 IamtheMumma

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:40 PM

I'd get compartment syndrome checked out.

#19 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:45 PM

Good shoes help, as does lots of physio led pilates (ahem clinical movement classes). It’s all related to my back and hips.

#20 mayahlb

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:56 PM

If it’s caused by a muscular issues see a physio for a full assessment.

Something else you might not have thought about is getting your iron levels tested. I get cramps in my calves and they hurt and ache and it usually means my iron levels have dropped. Once my iron levels are fixed (and magnesium helps too). You can also get a magnesium gel that helps if you rub it on your legs.

#21 born.a.girl

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:57 AM

I'd see either a physio or a podiatrist.  You may need orthotics - they helped my leg pain (after initially making it worse, which was expected).

A physio, as per pps, won't just look at your calves, they'll go right through your body to work out if anything further up is triggering it.

ETA: Whoops, more haste, less speed, have just realised that you've seen a podiatrist. Agree with pp, I'm surprised they didn't send you to a physio if the orthotics didn't solve the problem, or at least change it somehow so that you knew your feet were making some contribution.

Edited by born.a.girl, 15 March 2019 - 02:04 PM.

#22 Overtherainbow

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:13 AM

I’d see a physio. Also make sure you have flat work shoes that are amazing. I always ask my shoe sales lady to find me something flat, pretty, supportive and able to run in 🤣.

You may find it back related. Do you squat or bend to help students? Consider looking at some conference rotation ideas to enable sitting. I do some 1:1 at my desk and those needing help put their names in a pile while I’m conferencing. I then walk to them when I finish.

Consider swimming as a sport. Also ask for some stretches from your physio.

Hope they can help you out.

#23 lozoodle

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:10 AM

I'd be seeing a physio for that.

#24 Molondy

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:20 PM

I'm quite gobsmacked your podiatrist didn't recommend a physio! It sounds like compartment syndrome...

#25 justcait2

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:49 PM

This happens to my DH and he requires regular massages to release the tension, but what has helped him in the longer term has been wearing compression socks during the day.  Made such a difference to him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.