Let's build up some savings!

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#51 StillDreaming

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:47 PM

View Postcardamom, on 27 March 2019 - 04:56 PM, said:

Aghhh, don't you hate that!

Awhile ago I opened up an account in Netbank and called it "Car". It's hidden so I don't see the balance/forget that the money is there. Every now and then when I have a spare $50 I throw it in, before I'm tempted to spend it - it builds up nicely without me noticing it.

It's helpful when repairs/rego/insurance roll around. I could just draw down on my savings but that stings so much more (plus I get penalised and lose the interest) - I find it less painful emotionally to have it set aside, if that makes sense!!

That reminds me, I should put some of the $$ I've saved on groceries this week in that account instead..

I do this too. A set amount each pay goes into a separate account for all insurance and car expenses. It caught me one year when they all popped up at once so I wanted to be ready the following year and not dip into savings. It’s good when taking the car for a service too because I don’t feel bad taking the money from the account for it - it was part of the budget all along. My expenses are going to go up though...

#52 Cimbom

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:01 PM

Yes I do that for our utility and other bills too. I averaged out what we roughly spend over the year and divided this up to pay per fortnight so it comes out of the account after each pay. When the bill is sent, I usually don't need to pay anything or maybe just a small top up payment.

#53 Kallie88

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:16 PM

That's not a bad idea, at the start of the year (2019 not the financial year) i added up all our expected bills and divided them by an amount to go in thr bills account each fortnight. What i didn't factor in was how many big ones were so close to the start of the year >.< hopefully the next half will roll over nicely into next year though

#54 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:43 PM

I pay all insurances monthly. It really didn't work out to be anymore.

I haven't really saved anything lately... but I haven't really spent anything either, so that's a win, right?

#55 cardamom

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:05 PM

View PostCimbom, on 27 March 2019 - 07:01 PM, said:

Yes I do that for our utility and other bills too. I averaged out what we roughly spend over the year and divided this up to pay per fortnight so it comes out of the account after each pay. When the bill is sent, I usually don't need to pay anything or maybe just a small top up payment.

I've done this too, but got caught out in the early days with the car rego/insurance because it's the only annual utility expense.

Paying the gas/elec/water/petrol etc. monthly was fine, but the amount allotted for the car stuff would build up each fortnight and I would kind of forget about the car and end up thinking of it as "yay, leftover money" as opposed to "earmarked for future, giant, one-off expense" :laugh:

So I separated out the car stuff from general utilities so I don't accidentally spend/save it.

Fortnightly pay just went through, haven't got a huge amount coming up in the way of expenses so added a nice chunk to the savings. Helps that work has been so busy I haven't had any time to be tempted to go shopping.

Have now added $5643 to my savings since Jan 1 :)

#56 Cimbom

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:13 PM

Wow, well done - that's impressive!

#57 cardamom

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:25 PM

View PostCimbom, on 27 March 2019 - 10:13 PM, said:

Wow, well done - that's impressive!

Thank you :)

As I said earlier, I'm aware this is really the phase of my life where I have the greatest opportunity to save hard - a steady (albeit not super well-paying) job + no kids = throwing everything I've got at the savings account.

I know it's probably going to be a short-lived phase and many aren't in a position to do that for a whole range of reasons. (I will also fully own that my life is pretty boring/one-dimensional as a result! Possibly skating a little too close to miser status)

I hope posting the amount doesn't come across as smug or boastful; it was really just to help keep me on track and remind myself that I am making progress towards my house deposit goal, even though it feels so impossible.

#58 mayahlb

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:47 PM

Well done cardamon! I will fully admit the amount of money I could save if I didn’t have kids is much much higher. So so much money spent on them.

I’m also in the position where I haven’t saved any money at the moment but I haven’t touched the savings either.

Regarding cars, I put an amount in my savings every fortnight that will add up to the rego. I also do similar for the power bill except I put it onto the power account. But, yeah, well our normal 700/2months summer bills hit $900+ this year so that didn’t work so well. Insurance we pay monthly as our insurers don’t charge anything more for this option. Which considering how bloody much we pay for house and contents is good! (The premiums for where we live are completely insane.)

Edited by mayahlb, 28 March 2019 - 10:19 AM.

#59 raspberry sherbert

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:57 AM

Congratulations cardamom.

View Postcardamom, on 27 March 2019 - 10:25 PM, said:

Thank you :)

I hope posting the amount doesn't come across as smug or boastful; it was really just to help keep me on track and remind myself that I am making progress towards my house deposit goal, even though it feels so impossible.

Everyone is in a different phase of life, with different incomes, expenses and saving goals. Hopefully we can all encourage each other whether it is saving $5 or $5000.

Edited by raspberry sherbert, 28 March 2019 - 09:58 AM.

#60 timtam92

Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:21 PM

View PostKallie88, on 27 March 2019 - 07:16 PM, said:

That's not a bad idea, at the start of the year (2019 not the financial year) i added up all our expected bills and divided them by an amount to go in thr bills account each fortnight. What i didn't factor in was how many big ones were so close to the start of the year >.< hopefully the next half will roll over nicely into next year though

We put money aside each week for our big bills. I have a spreadsheet with the bills and what month they come - this makes it easier to compare year on year and what to expect. Most of our bills come now until aug - close to $10k, so we need to plan!

#61 raspberry sherbert

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:13 PM

I am adding my totals for March to help keep me accountable.

House Deposit Account  - Saved $500
Savings Account   -$0 (still to open,waiting on ID)

Money Tins - MotoGP - $33
Christmas - $26
Anniversary - $0
House - $0

How is everyone else's savings going?

#62 Cimbom

Posted 01 April 2019 - 05:58 AM

UBank just paid me 30 cents interest :lol:

#63 mayahlb

Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:08 PM

Well done RS.

It's that time of the week where my pay goes into the account tonight. And amazingly, I still actually have money in my account. So that $109 will be moved into the savings account. If I put another $100 in before then end of the month and don't pull anything out, I'll get about $5 interest on May 1st.

#64 TwinkyBear

Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:20 PM

I don't have much to report... We are going on holiday on Sunday and have just started some expensive dental treatment for my 7 year old. Children's birthdays are also very soon. If anything I think we'll go backwards this month.

#65 Cimbom

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:14 AM

Updated balances:

LSL account $470.19
Emergency savings $400.11

We had to withdraw some of the extra mortgage payments though

#66 Mrs Claus

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:18 AM

Since Jan 1
Holiday fund- $975
Savings-$188

#67 71Cath

Posted 05 April 2019 - 10:21 AM

London account stands at $333.39

Mortgage payment due tomorrow and there is $120 extra in that which I hope is doing some good.

#68 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:18 AM

Just to throw a scanner in the works, my contract isnt being renewed as the school has lost funding. So im doing all the relief over the term, and have a job in 2020, but that doesn’t help us now.

#69 StillDreaming

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:35 PM

View PostIShallWearMidnight, on 08 April 2019 - 12:18 AM, said:

Just to throw a scanner in the works, my contract isnt being renewed as the school has lost funding. So im doing all the relief over the term, and have a job in 2020, but that doesn’t help us now.

What a bummer! I guess silver lining in that you don’t have to go through the application process later in the year but still cr*ppy for the rest of this year. Any chance you could get a contract for the second half of the year somewhere if something pops up?

#70 raspberry sherbert

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:02 PM

My ID arrived and am heading to Bendigo Bank to open my savings account this week. Does anyone else bank with them? Positives/ negatives?

#71 mayahlb

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:12 AM

I like reporting into this thread as it gives me some accountability. I had money "leftover" in the account this week, which was amazing because my car bill was more then expected and I had a GP visit (no bulk billing here and then  a script). $50 Aiming to have some left over at the end of the fortnight means I buy less stuff, not that I buy a lot of extra stuff anyway. Also as no major bills to hit this week I actually could put my $300 into my savings account without breaking the budget. So bonus interest this month as I will have added over $200

#72 Cimbom

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:07 PM

New balances as of today:

LSL savings - $670
General savings - $600

#73 Teds

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:24 PM

Hi all, I would love to join in. We are currently saving our emergency fund and after that, a sinking fund for a new car. I get paid each month and have everything budgeted, so I know what I have to play with, barring an emergency I suppose. I love the idea of tgis thread as while the emergency fund will be finished in August, the car sinking fund could take a few years... And I find that a bit overwhelming! I want to pay cash for the next car, so I better get moving before our current one gets too old.
Emergency fund currently at $5,584 with $4,416 to go. FTB will pay that off barring emergencies, then a $20,000 car sinking fund. This could take 2.5 years. Oh wow...

#74 cardamom

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:58 PM

View Postcardamom, on 27 March 2019 - 10:05 PM, said:

Have now added $5643 to my savings since Jan 1 :)

Now at $7564 since the beginning of the year :) Have saved more than usual the last 3 weeks because of the tax refund.

#75 raspberry sherbert

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:16 PM

mayahlb-  Well done on having leftover money. It is a good feeling when it happens.

Cimbon- Whoo hoo on both savings funds

Teds- Congrats on the emergency fund. You are over half way to your goal

Cardamom- Awesome work on the savings for this year. Have you started looking for houses yet?

I am going to do all my saving totals next weekend and will update then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.