Let's build up some savings!

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#26 Mrs Claus

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:20 PM

We I’ll have less income coming in from April-August so I’m trying to save some money to help out then. I’m putting $50 away each pay day and then living off the rest. Some weeks have been tight but I’m being really strict with not touching it. So far I’ve saved $550.

I’ve also got one upcoming birthday covered (clearance shelves at Australia post) and have started on Christmas for the 2 year old. Also working my flybuys/woolworths rewards and have over $300 on them since Christmas

#27 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:37 PM

View PostKallie88, on 15 March 2019 - 10:37 AM, said:

I think I might do $25 a fortnight straight into the mortgage, it's small but it's something. Atm I'm trying to put $200 a fortnight into my savings but I keep neededing to dip into it for non regular expenses - replacing things etc.

The trick with me in the past I have found helpful is not to put away too much that I can't really afford to, because when I had to take some out, I took too much and then it defeated what I was trying to do.

If I can only manage a few $$, at least once it's set aside , I don't take it back out. Just forget about it.

#28 cardamom

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:59 PM

I'm really trying hard to minimise frivolous spending and throwing everything I can at my house deposit account. I've also got a milestone birthday coming up in a couple of months and I had a particular savings goal in mind that I was using said birthday as a deadline for, which has been surprisingly helpful in keeping me focused.

I just checked my accounts and since the 1st of Jan I've managed to add $4832 to my Goalsaver. Feeling pretty proud of that, given I earn a fairly average wage and work part-time.

Things that have been helping so far:

- the rounding-down tip that PPs have mentioned

- treating my savings like a bill - ie. it's a non-negotiable expense, just like my rent, electricity, etc. I've maintained this habit ever since I started working; I pay myself first before any fun spending.

- stopped buying things new unless absolutely necessary. I'm getting 90% of my clothes second-hand now. I've also stopped buying books (sob) and am instead using the library, BorrowBox, etc.

- the usual meal planning, limiting takeaway, etc.

Obviously not yet having kids/dependents helps! I also admit that it's not a particularly indulgent life; I rarely go to the movies, out to dinner, etc. and couldn't tell you the last time I went on a holiday. Hopefully there'll be space for those things down the track...

#29 Cimbom

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:00 PM

Yep or just round it up to the closest $10 or $50 when the interest is added. All adds up

#30 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:08 PM

View Postcardamom, on 15 March 2019 - 03:59 PM, said:

I'm really trying hard to minimise frivolous spending and throwing everything I can at my house deposit account. I've also got a milestone birthday coming up in a couple of months and I had a particular savings goal in mind that I was using said birthday as a deadline for, which has been surprisingly helpful in keeping me focused.

I just checked my accounts and since the 1st of Jan I've managed to add $4832 to my Goalsaver. Feeling pretty proud of that, given I earn a fairly average wage and work part-time.

Things that have been helping so far:

- the rounding-down tip that PPs have mentioned

- treating my savings like a bill - ie. it's a non-negotiable expense, just like my rent, electricity, etc. I've maintained this habit ever since I started working; I pay myself first before any fun spending.

- stopped buying things new unless absolutely necessary. I'm getting 90% of my clothes second-hand now. I've also stopped buying books (sob) and am instead using the library, BorrowBox, etc.

- the usual meal planning, limiting takeaway, etc.

Obviously not yet having kids/dependents helps! I also admit that it's not a particularly indulgent life; I rarely go to the movies, out to dinner, etc. and couldn't tell you the last time I went on a holiday. Hopefully there'll be space for those things down the track...

Well done!! That's an amazing amount.

I have just emptied out my entire pantry on the bench. I need to do a food shop later but want to sort out and only buy what I need. What I don't use from my grocery budget this week, I will transfer to savings. Every little bit grows.

#31 cardamom

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:44 PM

View Post~THE~MAGICIAN~, on 15 March 2019 - 05:08 PM, said:

Thank you! I'm really trying - at the moment I'm saving about 40% of my take-home pay, and feel very fortunate that I'm able to do that. Pretty much everything else goes to rent, bills, food, medical expenses, etc.

It's irrational because what others do is entirely their business, but I get so frustrated looking at some of my friends who are in significantly higher paying jobs than me, but have nothing to show for it because they drop hundreds of dollars a week on eating out, Ubers, etc.

It bugs me that when they eventually do decide to start saving they'll be able to do it so quickly because their income is miles away from mine - whereas I've been plugging away slowly and steadily for years! :laugh:

Ahh, the not-for-profit life!

#32 NastyGal

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:25 PM

View Post71Cath, on 15 March 2019 - 08:30 AM, said:

Wow.  I am trying to save for my dream holiday to London.  I've managed $250 in about 12 months.  Something always goes wrong and I have to dip into it - hot water service blows up, car breaks down etc.

My current method is checking my account balance daily and transferring a small amount to a savings account to make the account balance even - this morning it was $2.59.

My dream trip is to go to Europe with my two DDs, who have never been overseas, for my 50th. I've been saving small bits in Raiz for about four years now (we're on a very limited income) and it's growing slowly but surely. The app rounds up your spends automatically and I also set up a direct debit amount each week. I think our airfares are covered now, and maybe a week or two of travel, but I've still got a few years to save so that we can go for four or five weeks. I figure there's nothing like saving for 8 or 9 years to really appreciate an OS trip! :laugh:

I also direct debit $35 p/w into each of the girls' accounts and have done since they were really little. I'm hoping it will contribute towards a property deposit when they're older.

#33 raspberry sherbert

Posted 16 March 2019 - 03:20 PM

View Post~THE~MAGICIAN~, on 15 March 2019 - 05:08 PM, said:

What I don't use from my grocery budget this week, I will transfer to savings. Every little bit grows.

I did this last month and saved an extra $110

#34 TwinkyBear

Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:02 PM

I'd like to join in. I rejigged our budget at the start of the year and we were supposed to able to save quite a bit; unfortunately, husbands car needed repairs, mine needed servicing, insurances came due and the dog had major vet expenses. We did well enough that we haven't gone *backward* but it's upsetting to be several months in with no progress. We'll be off on a holiday next month too, which means that husband's commissions will be bugger all. He also has a talent for dropping money without blinking, which I find infuriating. My goal is to save towards my mortgage so that eventually I can drop down to part time work and not feel so trapped in the daily grind.

#35 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:15 PM

My groceries today came in $17 under budget. So I transferred that to savings.

#36 raspberry sherbert

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:50 PM

Well Done ~THE ~MAGICIAN~ It will add up quickly

#37 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:55 PM

We want to save 30k this year. Not on track, but hoping that will change this month.
I find debt easier to tackle as you cant withdraw

#38 mayahlb

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:02 PM

View PostIShallWearMidnight, on 17 March 2019 - 11:55 PM, said:

We want to save 30k this year. Not on track, but hoping that will change this month.

That's the thing isn't it. Once money is put on debt, it's gone, you have absolutely no access whatsoever and can't get it back. It now belongs to someone else.

I was aiming for 10K by the end of the year. I don't know if I will manage it though. Namely because I swear anytime we start getting somewhere with savings, some huge unexpected bill arrives. I currently have just over 5K sitting in the savings account and am trying to figure out how to not pull money from it, despite the $2000 in bills due by mid April. (car bill and higher then expected power bill. Significantly higher.)

#39 Kallie88

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:13 PM

I already had 3 transfers set up for after i get ftb in, which is after dh gets paid. $500 into bills,  $25 each into presents and clothes accounts. So now I've added $25 straight into the mortgage, it's not a lot but at least it's something extra and if i get some casual work I'll probably put half of it straight into the mortgage so we don't waste it. Long term savings lol

#40 raspberry sherbert

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:52 PM

View PostIShallWearMidnight, on 17 March 2019 - 11:55 PM, said:

We have a goal of saving $10,000 to the house deposit this year. On track at the moment

#41 Cimbom

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:17 PM

Just had the first direct debits paid.

Savings account balance $200
LSL account balance $270

Would be great to get to 1k in each by end of next month. The first extra fortnightly payment on the mortgage will be paid next week.

#42 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:34 PM

Good job!

#43 Mollycoddle

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:02 PM

View Post~THE~MAGICIAN~, on 16 March 2019 - 08:15 PM, said:

My groceries today came in $17 under budget. So I transferred that to savings.

That sounds like a really good idea, will encourage us to shop for the best deal and stop and think whether we really need something.

#44 raspberry sherbert

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:43 PM

One tip I saw on a facebook group was to put into savings the amount you save on your weekly groceries. Coles have it on the bottom of the docket.

#45 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:53 PM

View Postraspberry sherbert, on 22 March 2019 - 12:43 PM, said:

One tip I saw on a facebook group was to put into savings the amount you save on your weekly groceries. Coles have it on the bottom of the docket.

Great idea.

#46 Kallie88

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:09 PM

View Postraspberry sherbert, on 22 March 2019 - 12:43 PM, said:

Lol great idea but I'd end up with all my money in savings, I've got my half price specials just about down pat so i usually have almost the same amount 'saved' as spend 😂

#47 cardamom

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:56 PM

View PostKallie88, on 22 March 2019 - 07:09 PM, said:

Lol great idea but I'd end up with all my money in savings, I've got my half price specials just about down pat so i usually have almost the same amount 'saved' as spend

Me too! I couldn't tell you the last time I paid full price for one of my regular items, I've got the catalogue cycles down to a fine art :laugh:

Finally did my long-overdue tax today and am expecting a $1200-ish refund to throw in to the Goalsaver :)

#48 Cimbom

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:43 PM

Just put $400 extra on to our mortgage. May need to withdraw some of it back out again though - hopefully not too much

#49 Kallie88

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:52 PM

Ugh, $2k for car insurance due in a month, no savings for us -.-'

#50 cardamom

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:56 PM

View PostKallie88, on 27 March 2019 - 04:52 PM, said:

Ugh, $2k for car insurance due in a month, no savings for us -.-'

Aghhh, don't you hate that!

Awhile ago I opened up an account in Netbank and called it "Car". It's hidden so I don't see the balance/forget that the money is there. Every now and then when I have a spare $50 I throw it in, before I'm tempted to spend it - it builds up nicely without me noticing it.

It's helpful when repairs/rego/insurance roll around. I could just draw down on my savings but that stings so much more (plus I get penalised and lose the interest) - I find it less painful emotionally to have it set aside, if that makes sense!!

That reminds me, I should put some of the $$ I've saved on groceries this week in that account instead..

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 1 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.