Let's build up some savings!

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#176 Kallie88

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:31 AM

Gym fund is now at $950 woo hoo, hopefully will be able to get to $2150 by the end of term, which is $850 off my goal. Then I'll have the option of getting a swimming membership next year plus pay for both the big kids to have lessons.
Once I reach that savings goal I think I'll need to start a christmas fund lol, hopefully get 500-1000 away for that to take the stress off but I guess we'll see how much work I can get term 4.
Still chipping away at the mortgage and the house fund, but of course keep using house fund money since we've got so much we've put off doing around here.

#177 Cimbom

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:20 AM

My LSL account and general savings accounts are both at $1300 now. Hope I can get to 5k in each by the end of the year but not sure if I’ll be able to get there

#178 mayahlb

Posted 22 August 2019 - 02:26 PM

Payday tomorrow and and the savings is getting $400. I haven’t put any in for August so need to, so then I get the bonus interest.

Need to write the budget for September because I have a few things requiring funds (vacation care being one) but still need to save at least $400.

#179 raspberry sherbert

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:24 AM

cardamom, on 13 August 2019 - 02:53 PM, said:

Thanks for the moral support, everyone - we got it!!!

It really feels like a dream. It's so demoralising, hearing again and again how out of reach housing is, seeing prices constantly on the rise.. I've been slogging away saving for so long but on a NFP wage with no family help it just seemed so impossible. Feeling very grateful (and a bit proud!)

Savings now back to rock bottom :laugh:

Congratulations cardamom. How exciting. When is settlement?

#180 cardamom

Posted 27 August 2019 - 12:33 PM

raspberry sherbert, on 27 August 2019 - 10:24 AM, said:

Congratulations cardamom. How exciting. When is settlement?

Thank you!

Technically it's 10 November because DP was stressing that it would take awhile to get everything sorted and so asked for 90 days on the day of the auction, but everything has been finalised much quicker than we thought, so we're hoping to bring it forward to late September :) (it's vacant and the vendor was happy with 30, 60 or 90 days so hopefully they're open to changing it - but if not that's okay too)

#181 raspberry sherbert

Posted 27 August 2019 - 12:38 PM

That's exciting. Are you busy packing yet?

#182 TwinkyBear

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:12 AM

I got a decent tax return and threw it all on the mortgage, but it's quickly being chewed through by our investment property.

Our last tenant broke lease after 3 months and owes expenses $800 above what the bond covers. We discovered that the tenant prior to her damaged the laminate around the stove and hid it with contact. Really annoyed that inspections didn't pick that up.

Several doors aren't closing, we think because the evaporative has been run with no open windows. The reticulation was leaking and we discovered that the person who installed it 2 years ago recommended by the RE has broken nearly every regulation in the book.

Every window lock needs replacing.

I wish I could offload the damn thing, I am constantly having to follow up with the property managers. The property market in Perth is shocking though, and I'd take at least a 20K hit in selling. Hopefully these new tenants are better than the previous.

#183 raspberry sherbert

Posted 31 August 2019 - 05:05 PM

Twinky Bear - That sounds really hard and expensive. Hopefully the new tenants are better.

New totals for August are -

$800 towards House deposit
$371 towards Savings account

Money tins are
Christmas - $50
Motogp - $50

and we opened the Anniversary tin which had $408 in it.

#184 Kallie88

Posted 31 August 2019 - 05:46 PM

Gym fund up to $1200. Will be using the holiday money soon, so after that it will become the christmas fund lol. Getting a nice enough tax return and waiting for centrelink $$. Tax will go on a car service, centrelink will go on the mortgage so hopefully it's a good amount

#185 emma_jean

Posted 01 September 2019 - 07:05 AM

I’m adding 20% of my income to the house deposit savings. I also created an Up account that I put my spending money in which lets me create and transfer any surplus  to smaller savings goals, like an Apple Watch. I also got my son to sign up with a code I gave him which gave us $5 each. I I still use YNAB for everything else but this is something I don’t have to track. One thing I really want  to work on in September is my grocery budget.

#186 Cimbom

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:34 PM

Both our general savings and LSL accounts are at $1500 now. Hopefully we can get them to 2k each by the end of the month

#187 Cimbom

Posted 06 September 2019 - 06:17 PM

Had some extra funds so put this into our savings. Now at $1800 each

#188 Cimbom

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:11 PM

Seems like I’m the only one updating this :lol:

Now at $2000 in both of our accounts

#189 IamOzgirl

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:16 PM

I cleaned my acct out for sperm... so really need to start again.

But also now in credit card debt so should stay in that thread I think!

#190 cardamom

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:42 PM

My savings have taken an enooormous hit, not just for the deposit but moving costs, getting the floors done in the new place, etc. I feel a bit sick at the thought!

Plus I'm unexpectedly going overseas for my volunteer gig next month and I'm adding a bit of extra time to travel so will need to cover accom, travel costs etc. for that too. Oof.

I guess that's what savings are for, living life, but I feel quite anxious at the thought of not having that comfortable just-in-case buffer! Really looking forward to building it back up again next year.

#191 emma_jean

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:46 PM

My house deposit is now $9k... keen to reach $10k.... hopefully end of October... will have a couple of weeks without income though before then.

#192 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:52 PM

Glad everyone is sailing along. I haven't saved much lately, seem to keep dipping in for something-or-other.

#193 Kallie88

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:55 PM

$1700 in the gym fund, $600 in the new christmas fund. We're chugging along nicely

#194 cardamom

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:08 PM

My income is having only the briefest of flirtations with my bank account these last few weeks before disappearing to various avenues!

Re-did my budget given our expenses have changed a little with the mortgage (mortgage is about $300 a month more than rent was) and my new saving amount is lower than I would like but short of finding a better paying job there's not much I can do.

Need to keep reminding myself that I can give myself some breathing room now, I don't have to be frantically throwing every dollar I have at the house deposit account. Hard to get out of the habit!

#195 mayahlb

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:13 AM

Urg, I've put in the minimum $200 for the month to get the bonus interest. This month has just been crazy bill/expense wise. I don't know if I am going to be able to save much the rest of the year at all, as from Oct-Jan is always a horrid time expense wise. I'm hoping at least not to dip into the savings at least. Though I have 2 kids who need to see the orthodontist...

#196 Cimbom

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:51 AM

We’re at $2200 in each of the two accounts now. When we get to $3500 in our general savings, this is one month of spending for us - the mortgage repayment and basic expenses.

First time we’ll actually have emergency savings just as a buffer and not savings for a specific expense like house deposit or holiday etc.

#197 mayahlb

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:13 PM

cinbom - It's nice to feel like you have an emergency buffer isn't it?

#198 newmumandexcited

Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:54 PM

Cimbom, on 26 September 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

We’re at $2200 in each of the two accounts now. When we get to $3500 in our general savings, this is one month of spending for us - the mortgage repayment and basic expenses.

First time we’ll actually have emergency savings just as a buffer and not savings for a specific expense like house deposit or holiday etc.

Awesome!! How do you guys entertain children on the cheap?

#199 TwinkyBear

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:40 AM

We'll be chipping away at the credit card for a little while now. DH is working again, the new tenants seem to be okay, RE claim to be chasing up old tenant for arrears but I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully we'll be back on track soon, but we also really need someone in to check out a leak in the roof. I'm dreading it as I read that tile rooves need replacing every 30 years and our roof would be pretty much bang on 30 years. Sigh.

#200 Cimbom

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:59 AM

Mayahib, it’ll be great once we get to that one month milestone to know that we won’t need to go into debt to pay for any unexpected bills or expenses. We’re aiming to have three months of living expenses saved in total and then start chipping away at the mortgage with more than the minimum payments.

Newmumandexcited, there’s just the two of us at the moment - no kids so I probably won’t be much help with your question

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.