Foam mat recommendations

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Hummingbird82

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:30 PM

Hello,

I'm after any recommendations for soft mats I can put on our tiled floor so that when our DD falls over she doesn't hit her head too hard on the floor. She is still learning to sit and falls a fair bit. Any recommendations would be great.

Thank you :-)

#2 Future-self

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:36 PM

They cost heaps but the Dwinger ones are amazing
We’ve had our nearly 5 years - i do yoga and stretches on it as well as the kids playing on it.
https://softmats.com.../Dwinguler.html

#3 Charli73

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:46 PM

Dwinguler Bubba mat, we have 2 and they are amazing, kids are now 6 and 8 and still play on them and they look brand new, had since they were born.. bought on sale at Bunting.. I love lying on the floor on them too.

#4 Daffy2016

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:08 PM

We had just the alphabet tiles you can buy from Kmart or big w. They were great because we could fit the tiles together to suit the space.

#5 Future-self

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:14 PM

View PostDaffy2016, on 16 March 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

We had just the alphabet tiles you can buy from Kmart or big w. They were great because we could fit the tiles together to suit the space.
We had tiles at first with DD too... until he learned very early (before he could even walk) that he could pull them apart. Which he did. Over and over and over throwing them around the room . lol drove me nuts! Which is when we upgraded to the full mat

#6 BECZ

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:30 PM

View PostFuture-self, on 13 March 2019 - 09:36 PM, said:

We’ve had our nearly 5 years - i do yoga and stretches on it as well as the kids playing on it.

Yep, we had one too.  So soft and comfy!

Sadly ours only lasted a couple of years as bright spark MIL invited herself over and I had it outside drying after giving it a good wash after DD2 had an accident and it had never had a thorough clean before, anyway, she decided to take it off the milk crates I had it drying on and put it on the grass under the tree which dropped lots of sticks.  As I had it drying upside down, the top was still damp, so she put it upside down and the small sticks poked through and broke the seal in numerous places, so I wasn't game to put it back in the toy room as I was worried the kids may pick at it and I had a newborn in the house.

Totally recommend them though.

#7 *cough*

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:40 PM

https://www.munchkinandbear.com.au/

Love these mats. We’ve had one for 2 years and it’s still going strong. They actually look nice as well and aren’t bright and in your face.

#8 Future-self

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:45 PM

^They’re lovely - I want to upgrade our playmat!

Edited by Future-self, 16 March 2019 - 08:45 PM.

#9 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:19 PM

Bunnings. They have cheap foam interlocking tiles. You can make them any size and shape you want.

Bunnings also have rubber matting and carpet rugs.

You can’t go wrong at bunnings. So many options and cheaper than a baby store.

Also, Kmart sometimes have cheap baby mats, but Bunnings are usually bigger and cheaper.

#10 IamtheMumma

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:27 PM

View PostFuture-self, on 13 March 2019 - 09:36 PM, said:

I used these. Fantastic, easy to clean and hard wearing. Keep an eye on gumtree/FB marketplace for secondhand.

I also did the Bunnings squares which worked until he learnt to pull them apart.

#11 Mooples

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:44 PM

The only problem with the mats is that they don’t cover enough space once they start crawling. We have the big foam tiles on our playroom floor but nothing out in the kitchen and living area. Ds2 was falling at least two or three times a day when he was starting to pull up and cruise along the furniture. The sound of his head banging on the tiles made me feel sick, thankfully he’s mostly past it now.

#12 Living Type

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:47 PM

I second the bubba mats. Don’t get the foam tiles. They are dangerous once bubba starts putting things in their mouth they can bite pieces off and choke.

#13 Hummingbird82

Posted 29 March 2019 - 06:44 AM

Thanks so much everyone - I'll check out the recommendations. I definitely want something to stop the sound of her head hitting the floor when she falls over.

#14 PaulHumber

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:14 PM

I realise this thread is a little old now, but have you seen the play mats from Warren Hill? We have one and they're super soft and machine washable so you can throw them in the washing machine if there's any accidents.

Our youngest is now almost 2 and we lay it on the sofa and he now naps on it, loves to roll himself up in it too and pretends to be a sausage roll haha. We're expecting our third in a couple of weeks and look forward to her using it too.

Edited by lucky 2, 20 August 2019 - 06:48 PM.
R/O link to business

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.