6 days to split between Surfer's Paradise and Brisbane

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 *Arabella*

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:41 PM

We're planning on an April holiday to Surfer's Paradise and Brisbane, for about 6 days. Likely to fly into one city and out of the other.

Would 3 days in each be a good split?

We're a family of 2 adults and 2 kids - 1 school-aged and 1 in kindy. My children are fairly timid, so I think we would only go to SeaWorld (perhaps) of the theme parks, maybe also Currumbin wildlife sanctuary. We'll probably hire a car. Neither child copes well with long walks in the heat.

Any other tips or recommendations would be much appreciated!

We all love the beach and a good swimming pool. My DH and I love food and galleries. Planning on a river cruise and GoMA in Brisbane

#2 QuirkyMum

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:56 PM

Edited by QuirkyMum, 20 April 2019 - 12:05 AM.

#3 .Jerry.

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:03 PM

Firstly I wouldn't stay at Surfers Paradise, I would stay at Broadbeach.
Surfers is for the young party crowd.  It's not so nice.

Broadbeach is good for young families.  There is a great beach, a big parkland along the beach front with playgrounds, shopping centre across the road, heaps of restaurants.  Way nicer and just down the road from Surfers.  Can catch the light rail there.

Do Seaworld, a day at the beach, putt putt, park etc.

When in Brisbane, if have a car, do a drive up to Australia zoo. It is worth it.  Maybe a day going on the city cat river ferry ride and a visit to Southbank parklands - great pool etc. Can also visit the museum next to Southbank.

#4 nup

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:05 PM

You can spend a day at GOMA and swimming at Southbank. A single night is more than enough if you must. I think the Gold Coast for the whole stay and catch a train up to BNE for a visit.

Isn't Australia Zoo on the sunshine coast?

#5 *Arabella*

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for your replies, my kids would love glow worms and I'll definitely look into Broadbeach. A nice playground is always a bonus and we certainly won't be there for the nightlife.

Interesting about just doing a day-trip to Brisbane and staying on the Gold Coast. Logistically that would make things easier and we might then only need a car for part of our stay. However I haven't been to Brisbane since I was a child so I was keen to explore the city a bit.

We've been to Australia zoo on a previous trip to Noosa so while the kids loved it, we'll skip it this time

#6 QuirkyMum

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:13 PM

Edited by QuirkyMum, 20 April 2019 - 12:06 AM.

#7 PrincessPeach

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:25 PM

The Qld museum has the NASA exhibit opening this week, it looks super interesting. Museum is right next door to GOMA.

Broadbeach is actually the place to be seen clubbing so surfers is out of favour in regards to the party set. But unless you plan on being out late, you won't run into them in either place.

But the playground down there is brilliant for young kids, it's fully fenced & has shade cloth.

Marina mirage at Main beach has a lot of cool places to check out.

As for food, if the budget extends, have a look at BAZAAR at the QT hotel, it's a buffet, but not as you know it,

Australia zoo is good, but I'd be wanting to stay in Brisbane for that visit, it's at least a 90 minute drive from the CBD & it is a very full day of activities.

#8 .Jerry.

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:35 PM

Agree with Bazaar restaurant.  Haven't been for a while but it was amazing.

Definitely are nightclubs in Broadbeach, but way more family stuff and parklands than Surfers.

Maybe do most of the time at GC and one or two nights at the end in Brisbane.
I think Southbank is worth a day's visit:  beach, parklands, playground, GoMA, Museum, city cat ride.

At Broadbeach, I would recommend:  The Wave Resort, Peppers.  Much cheaper is the Bel Air, which has an indoor and outdoor pool, big units available and significantly cheaper than the other places.  Always found it pleasant to stay there.

#9 *Melstar*

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:40 PM

If you decide to stay at coast and drive to Bris, parking at cultural centre (underneath art gallery) is $17 per day. Pretty good for city parking! From there you can do art gallery, GOMA, state library (don't miss this, they have some great holiday programs), museum and science centre. Finish with late afternoon dip and dinner at Southbank.

The parks at Broadbeach are amazing. We tend to holiday there and do the same thing, every day - kids love it and never tire of it! Early to the beach, pool swim, rest, lunch and movie at home, hit the park in the afternoon, play on the beach. The park is one of the best planned, well thought out parks, I've come across.

#10 Chchgirl

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:56 PM

Broad beach is my pick as well, we went there for 18/years with kids before living on the Gold coadt and I.still love that area.

It's easy to get around the GC without a car , I think the transport is great here , having lived in Sydney. I currently live Miami, a couple of suburbs down from broad beach.

I can't give advice on Brisbane as I havent been there since the 1990's.

Enjoy planning. And it will still be warm in April, winter doesn't exist here!

#11 SplashingRainbows

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:51 AM

We recently took out 8yo and 4yo to wet n wild and they loved it. I was so happily surprised. Mine are a bit timid too but the fun outweighed the nervousness factor.

There was a whole mini theme park just for them. They do cap the rides in that area by height - too high and you can’t ride. Makes it so safe and friendly for the littlies. I would check your eldest is under the height limited only having one child in there would be hard work.

But do consider it if they love the water. It really was an awesome day.

Edited by SplashingRainbows, 13 March 2019 - 02:53 AM.

#12 Charli73

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:27 AM

Broadbeach is wonderful, that park on the beach next to the surf club was wonderful! We stayed at Ultiqua air apartments and they were above a mall with supermarket so we bought our own breakfast and ate out most nights..

We caught the bus 20 mins up to the theme parks and walked everywhere.. wonderful place for the kids.

#13 .Jerry.

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:00 PM

I do think that if you stay in Broadbeach you can do without a car.  Save the $$$.
You can use the light rail to get up to Surfer's Paradise.
The beach, shops, Pacific Fair Mall, Restaurants, parks, putt putt, are all in easy walking distance.

You can take buses to the theme parks.

You could even catch the train all the way up to Brisbane for a day trip or two to GoMa, Southbank, museum etc.

Would be way cheaper than hire car and much less stress.

When we go to Gold Coast we just park the car and leave it, using public transport rest of the time.

#14 Megustas

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:43 AM

In Brisbane if stay near southbank close to lots of food & the streets beach/pool & playground. A city cat ride round to new farm park is lovely, good playground there too.

#15 c.sanders

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:27 AM

We did Moreton Island which was pretty amazing.  Felt like we were in another country or something. 70mins ferry from Brisbane.
We did 2 days Brisbane, 3days moreton island and 4 days GC.

#16 Karlee99

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:39 AM

We love Moreton Island for getting away - so easy to access and the kids adore it too.

#17 seayork2002

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:43 AM

We spent 7 nights (stayed in Brisbane) at New Year. we were pleased with what we did but if we did it again we would only stay a couple of nights in Brisbane and the rest on the coast.

We liked Surfers Paradise for the day but it did fell like Party Town.

We had the best fish and chips in Redcliffe (if that's the Bee Gees place) they were as close to the British ones as we have found in Aus and impressed fussy DH

#18 *Arabella*

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:15 PM

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions! We've booked 2 nights in Brisbane (South Bank) and 5 nights in Broadbeach.

In Brisbane we're hoping to get to to the Art Gallery/GoMA, the Museum, Streets beach, the Rainforest walk, a City cat and New Farm Park.

While in Broadbeach we'd like to get to Currumbin Sanctuary, Wet n Wild, maybe Sea World and of course the beach and hotel pool.

We're not going to hire a car at this stage. Can anyone advise whether it would be better to go by train or bus from Brisbane to Broadbeach?

Any other ideas would be welcomed, particularly kid-friendly places to eat that are suitable for picky eaters :)

#19 BeAwesome

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:30 PM

There's 2 restaurants in the main drag of Broadbeach called Yellowfin and Sage - they usually have 40% off food prices for early diners (around 5pm), my kids have been going there since they were in highchairs.  One child is an adventurous eater, the other is more your nuggets and pizza variety.  

I'd look into an annual pass if you were planning on both Sea World and Wet n Wild, it typically works out cheaper, even if you only visit once, and it'd get you to Movie World as well (prob only half a day necessary with younger kids).

#20 PrincessPeach

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:49 PM

public transport buses won't take you from Broadbeach to Brisbane. the train will take you from Southbank to helensvale where you need to swap to the tram to Broadbeach.

Not sure on private bus transfer options sorry.

#21 2bundles

Posted 29 March 2019 - 06:49 AM

If you are in Brisbane Thu-Sunday, catch a citycat from Sputhbank to Northshore and go to Eat St for dinner. That will keep the fussiest eater happy.

Train/tram Bne-broadbeach will work fine.

#22 LittleMissPink

Posted 29 March 2019 - 02:34 PM

Stay on the Gold Coast the whole time, and do a day trip to Brisbane for the museum, southbank, ferris wheel etc.

On the GC, stay Broadbeach area, do Currumbin, Seaworld (if you must do a park), Mt Tamborine, beach, Q1.

#23 Jenno

Posted 29 March 2019 - 04:12 PM

I live on the GC if you want to PM me any questions.

#24 c.sanders

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:32 AM

For all of that I think you should get a car,   even if you don't use it all the time. You could also rent it for part of the trip. I've also done pick up at Brisbane,  drop off at gold coast.  There's lots of cheap car rental options.  I usually book through a site called airportrentals.com.au and I've never had my problems booking or getting my car insurance.

I also realised really enjoy going to the dfo like place at harbour town

Anyway, have fun!

Edited by c.sanders, 30 March 2019 - 07:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.