Websites with info / rankings for High Schools?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:52 AM

Im in SA,
Looks like we are getting rezoned to a high school I know nothing about and cant find anything out about it.
Are there any websites that list general information about high schools such as average ATAR scores?
I realise this isnt the be all but I can find literally zero info on this school. (There are 2 other closer to my house so I haven't considered it before)
Thanks!

Edited by WannabeMasterchef, 10 March 2019 - 08:53 AM.

#2 AdelTwins

Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:54 AM

https://www.myschool.edu.au

#3 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:57 AM

View PostAdelTwins, on 10 March 2019 - 08:54 AM, said:

Thanks, I saw that previously but the school in question isnt listed?  Perhaps I should contact them and ask.
ETA its been renamed but not listed under either name!

Edited by WannabeMasterchef, 10 March 2019 - 08:58 AM.

#4 Abernathy

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:09 AM

bettereducation.com.au

Edited by Abernathy, 10 March 2019 - 09:10 AM.

#5 Expelliarmus

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:13 AM

In many ways it’s irrelevant. It is nearly impossible to get into an out of zone high school in SA. And despite what reputations are, or what ATAR etc is listed, it largely comes down to the student. My children go to a school that isn’t considered particularly good. DD1 left last year with an ATAR in the 90s. The teachers are dedicated and my daughter was determined. The school itself was largely irrelevant.

#6 AdelTwins

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:29 AM

Is the school a new one? They have been combining a few schools to make “super” schools around here.

#7 Manicmum

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:40 AM

What do you think about people faking their schoolmzone, ie a friend letting you put your name in their electricity bill? I have a friend considering this, I don’t think it’s a great idea.

#8 Fresh Start

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:53 AM

View PostExpelliarmus, on 10 March 2019 - 09:13 AM, said:

In many ways it’s irrelevant. It is nearly impossible to get into an out of zone high school in SA. And despite what reputations are, or what ATAR etc is listed, it largely comes down to the student. My children go to a school that isn’t considered particularly good. DD1 left last year with an ATAR in the 90s. The teachers are dedicated and my daughter was determined. The school itself was largely irrelevant.

I’ve always said that as my sister and I did well at a “bad” school. Now faced with a rezoning (hasn’t happened yet) I went to the information night this week. They have 370 kids - surely this means some subjects won’t be an option for years 11 and 12?

The school I may be rezoned out of has 1250 kids - surely that means more options?

ETA
Oh and Manicmum I think that is appalling - I couldn’t expect my kids to go along with that lie. It wouldn’t work anyway for the school in my current zone. They want rates notice (or a 12 month lease) plus two utility bills.

I know of one person whose husband works for a developer. They were going to sign a fake land contract with the boss then found out you also need a signed building contract if you only own the land.

Another planed to buy her mum a place in zone and have all bills in her name. Her mum has now bought her own place in zone so I assume they’ll just give that address and sign a lease with mum.

A third friend I know owned a rental property in zone. They were between tenants and her DH collected mail. He found a letter from the school. He opened it because they built the house and rented it from day one and they’d never had tenants by that name.  Checked with their agent - they’d come to an inspection.

It offered enrolment. They called the school and told them they owned the house, those people came to inspect but didn’t move in. I guess the people thought they’d be able to get the mail sent there while empty or put on a redirection?

Edited by Fresh Start, 10 March 2019 - 10:03 AM.

#9 Manicmum

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:12 AM

Yes, I see it as problematic. It’s one of the schools that people have been reasoned from... I don’t like her chances.

#10 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:15 AM

View PostExpelliarmus, on 10 March 2019 - 09:13 AM, said:

Yes,my siblings and I all scored very high ATARs from a low SES school with a poor reputation. But it was a negative experience and we had to work really hard to get around certain disadvantages that kids at other schools just didn't have (well not the ones I ended up at uni with). I'm not so worried about DD2 dealing with this but DD1 has some learning difficulties.

We are considering moving house in the next couple of years for other reasons so Im trying to get a picture of what the different schools in the area may be like.

#11 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:21 AM

View PostAbernathy, on 10 March 2019 - 09:09 AM, said:

bettereducation.com.au

Thanks I found the old school name there.
Its at the bottom in terms of 'ranking'. :(   I realise there are many other factors to consider

Edited by WannabeMasterchef, 10 March 2019 - 11:33 AM.

#12 Octopodes

Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:54 PM

View PostManicmum, on 10 March 2019 - 09:40 AM, said:

What do you think about people faking their schoolmzone, ie a friend letting you put your name in their electricity bill? I have a friend considering this, I don’t think it’s a great idea.
I'm not in SA, but this wouldn't work here. You need a bazillion documents with your name and address on it, including either a rates notice or a rental agreement, to enrol a child at our local high school. The school is newish, there is little information about the school online. We went to the open night and got a good feel for the school that way.

#13 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:03 PM

View PostOctopodes, on 10 March 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

I'm not in SA, but this wouldn't work here. You need a bazillion documents with your name and address on it, including either a rates notice or a rental agreement, to enrol a child at our local high school. The school is newish, there is little information about the school online. We went to the open night and got a good feel for the school that way.

In our case its an existing school thats been merged with a primary school rather than a new school. The focus of the existing school doesn't really sound like a good fit for DD2 but I just want to gather more information as it will likely be something that will factor into our decision about the next house we buy. (we have a bit of time before high school)

I don't plan to fake my address however.  
It sucks that people feel forced into doing this.

Edited by WannabeMasterchef, 10 March 2019 - 05:05 PM.

#14 Octopodes

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:24 PM

If you haven't missed it already this year, go to the open night. It will give you a much better idea about the school than second hand info online. I was fairly firmly against our local school until the open night. I had misjudged based of rumour and a few unflattering articles. I asked a million questions on the tour after the information session and got to speak to some of the current students as well. Turns out they have a whole bunch of programs that aren't currently on their website because it's in the middle of an overhaul.

We moved when DS was in Year 1 to get out of a crappy high school zone, so I get planning well ahead.

#15 seayork2002

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:42 AM

Morally I thinking it is appalling (and no I don't care what people think of me saying that!)

BUT anyway the school DS is in the catchment for (coincidentley we had no idea what the school was like when we moved here) is the one people will do anything to get their kids into, and yes as it turns out they are trying to fake getting in.

The school goes through all the 100 points of ID very carefully.

Sure DS's high school has a great ranking, great HSC results, great glossy brochure BUT any school can look good on paper so I would go to the open day and talk to people whose kids go their

#16 Kreme

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:53 AM

Terrible idea. I’m in Sydney and I know people do this but I couldn’t ask my child to lie about their address.

My son is in year 6 and they receive their high school application forms partially filled in with their address and zoned high school. I think this is to make address fraud more difficult.

The most popular schools continue to monitor addresses even after kids start and for some schools if you move out of zone within the first two years they will ask you to leave.

#17 Lees75

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:14 AM

There is a family at our school who have rented a 2 bedroom unit in the zone of their preferred option. They are still living in their house, but the rent was cheaper than private school fees for their twins.

And the local school we are all zoned for is one that even Expelli has admitted in the past, she would be hesitant to send her kids to.

#18 seayork2002

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:16 AM

View PostLees75, on 11 March 2019 - 09:14 AM, said:

There is a family at our school who have rented a 2 bedroom unit in the zone of their preferred option. They are still living in their house, but the rent was cheaper than private school fees for their twins.

And the local school we are all zoned for is one that even Expelli has admitted in the past, she would be hesitant to send her kids to.

Yes in our area there are some empty properties that parents have brought so they have an address (this happened in the UK as well) in the catchment.

#19 Manicmum

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:20 AM

I have looked it up and emailed her the requirement of needing a lease or a contract. She has other options.

Lees75- I’m not sure what school that is, but suspect it’s the same as us. Although I know little about it.

#20 Lees75

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:32 AM

View PostManicmum, on 11 March 2019 - 09:20 AM, said:

I have looked it up and emailed her the requirement of needing a lease or a contract. She has other options.

Lees75- I’m not sure what school that is, but suspect it’s the same as us. Although I know little about it.
Almost opposite a brand new McDonalds?

I know kids who have been there, with good outcomes and have been happy there. And I know kids who haven’t.

I know NAPLAN scores don’t mean a lot, but they are really not very encouraging, even when comparing them to similar schools- still all red. I also know a teacher who taught yr 11/12 science subjects there who wouldn’t send his own kids there.

#21 Manicmum

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:50 AM

That McD’s went up very fast!

Yes that’s where we are zoned too. Fortunately, mine are happily ensconced in a R-12 elsewhere. I haven’t looked into it much..

#22 Heather11

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:17 AM

It's not so much how a school accommodates the 'smart' and self learners at the school because as Expelli and others have said they will achieve at any school.

It is more so how a school supports the middle of the road and the strugglers.  

As well as checking ATAR scores look at how many of the cohort have achieved their SACE.  At my children's HS 100% for the past few years and that includes those in the special education support class.

#23 Sincerely

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:45 PM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 10 March 2019 - 05:03 PM, said:

In our case its an existing school thats been merged with a primary school rather than a new school. The focus of the existing school doesn't really sound like a good fit for DD2 but I just want to gather more information as it will likely be something that will factor into our decision about the next house we buy. (we have a bit of time before high school)

I don't plan to fake my address however.  
It sucks that people feel forced into doing this.

I agree with your last sentiments and think that any moral outrage over false addresses is somewhat misdirected, because if good education were provided to the whole population (instead of leaving education largely to market forces of supply & demand like everything else), then people wouldn't get ahead by being manipulative.

#24 waawa17

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:57 PM

I don't feel "moral outrage" over address-fakers deceiving the school so much as I do them putting their child in the position of lying to everyone - school, teachers, friends - about a very basic fact about themselves for six years.  That's a horrendous position to put your child in.

I also wonder how much of this "must send my kid to a 'better' public school" is about which schools are actually better, and how much is about socioeconomic status, real or perceived, and/or the effect SES has on test scores. Not talking about this particular case now, but in general.

Edited by waawa17, 11 March 2019 - 06:59 PM.

#25 ~J_WTF~

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:04 PM

Why would they have to lie for 6 years, after a few months you say you have moved. A school is highly unlikely to kick you out.

Disclaimer I am sure somebody has a oh but they do kick out story but its not the norm for this to happen!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.