You won't believe where you'll find me...

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#26 *Spikey*

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:16 PM

"missing people" to me is always such a negative way to put it, it induces mummy guilt - try convincing yourself that you are going to enjoy every moment without missing anyone, and when you see them afterwards, you are going to be so happy to see them and excited to tell them all about your amazing trip!

Business class travel is awesome. Have a truly amazing time, it sounds like you are getting the recognition and rewards for following your passion!

#27 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:55 PM

Have an amazing time!!

#28 Mose

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:22 PM

Today I bought a new suit (obvs need to dress well if going to London for this), and some comfy jeggings and sweater for the plane. I just need to remember to bring some "work" shoes home next week from under my desk.

I have organised the times I need to be at the meeting (two half days). Organised a social catch up one of the other half days. Organised to go to London office of my firm to catch up with former colleagues on my last full day.

Still need to
- confirm location of passport (used it a few weeks ago, so not far away, but still...)
- book social catch up for other half day
- receive flight confirms and insurance details

Am I missing anything?  Does anyone know if it would be worth my trouble to try and dig out an oyster card that hasn't been used in 9 years?

The day I arrive I hope to get to the church we used to attend, and do as much shopping as I can stomach on the jetlag.

Oooh, I know, download some engaging but not too heavy going books to my kindle.

Anything else?

#29 Caribou

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:25 PM

If you have time, go to St Paul’s cathedral around 5:30 for evening song. It’s beautiful :)

Map out your shopping spots. I liked Marks and Spencer and Primark! If you can, this might be cheeky, but shop online before you leave and have it delivered to your hotel with of course checking hotel can take your parcels for you! :D

#30 Cimbom

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:31 PM

If you have contactless payments on your credit card, you can use that instead of an Oyster card.

https://www.google.c...redit-card/amp/

#31 Mose

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:42 PM

View PostCimbom, on 20 March 2019 - 04:31 PM, said:

If you have contactless payments on your credit card, you can use that instead of an Oyster card.

https://www.google.c...redit-card/amp/

Ooh, good tip, thanks.

#32 ExpatInAsia

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:42 PM

Take an extra suitcase for your shopping. You can take a suit pack and a carry on suitcase in business. If I am traveling somewhere with good shopping I throw the suit pack into the spare suitcase - this way I have extra space in the suit pack for clothes that I can take onboard which means more space in the suitcase for shopping.

I am traveling to Europe soon for work and forgot how exciting the first business class trip is until seeing how super excited the colleague I am traveling with is - it is their first long haul business class trip.

#33 Mose

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:29 PM

It's not my first business class trip, but it has certainly been a while, and in my current role a very unexpected treat.

The trouble I always find is they have all these bells and whistles slightly different on every plane and I can never work them out.

I have actually done Aus/NZ to Europe in economy, premium, business and bizarrely first (long story there).  In my mind there is a definite mix of thinking that of course it gets nicer further toward the front, but there is also an element of it being a very long time any way you look at it.

Now I have kids though (have only done into Asia since kids), I definitely think I will appreciate it more than ever before.

I remember going up to Vietnam a few years ago and thinking how great a coffee would be...and then realising "I'm in business, I can ask for coffee instead of waiting to have it thrown at me". It felt so indulgent. And then to drink it without interruption....

#34 Mose

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:40 PM

PS, excellent tip on the packing, thank you. I have only ever done long haul with stupid amounts of luggage, so really need some help to think through what I need for

1 day arrival/weekend
1 day observer at a meeting
1 day presenter at meeting (most formal suit for this)
1 day in office where I am well known and won't be on client floor

Plus flights.

I will also need to take laptop and a small amount of papers.

Any advice gratefully received.

Also, when we used to live there, security limited carry on from Heathrow to one bag even if in business, despite airlines theoretically having a higher limit - anyone know if this has been relaxed?

#35 little lion

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:42 PM

So exciting, I enjoy planning outfits and luggage. I have just chosen flights for my first little business trip since I changed careers. Yes it is domestic economy but it is two nights in a fancy hotel room by myself in a city that’s great for shopping. I’m thrilled!

#36 spr_maiden

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:10 PM

Woohooooo!!!!!
I'm sure you'll push through just fine shopping while jetlagged 😊

#37 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:08 PM

Download podcasts / audio books as well as ebooks.

Noise cancelling headphones? I find planes very loud.

Do some online shopping before you go so its delivered just before/when you are there  (obviously not for stuff you actually *want* to browse).

I had a second suitcase delivered to my hotel to put my other shopping in...

#38 ExpatInAsia

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:21 PM

I always have at least one suit (Jacket and 2 pants) for formal meetings. I also love wrap dresses - the right style looks smart enough with pumps and they fold up small.  I love DVF wrap dresses with collar/cuffs. I have also seen a couple of nice collared wrap dresses on Sacha Drake.

I usually just wear jeans/top/ballet flats on the plane and change into the pyjamas for overnight flights. I always take a large pashmina in case it gets cool on the flight.

I have lots of books on my kindle app on my mini iPad along with tv shows to binge on.

Who are you flying with?

#39 Mose

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:47 AM

View PostExpatInAsia, on 20 March 2019 - 08:21 PM, said:

Who are you flying with?

Flights still aren't nailed down, at the moment it is coming down to
Qantas - 4 hours from last meeting at Canary wharf to take off
Emirates - will not arrive until mid afternoon Sunday so can't get to church and may not be enough time to properly wake myself up
Singapore - need to leave quite early Saturday morning when I was hoping to have at least a little time to check things are in order on the home front before I go

So needs to be a compromise somehwere.  I am currently thinking Emirates or Singapore - I think the Qantas scenario will stress me out the whole time.  TfL website reckons just over an hour from canary wharf to Heathrow (Jubilee/Piccadilly lines), and Heathrow says check in 60 minutes prior for business class, so in theory it should be fine, but relying my entire plan on the Piccadilly line doesn't do much for me I must say....

#40 born.a.girl

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:07 AM

View PostExpatInAsia, on 20 March 2019 - 04:42 PM, said:

Take an extra suitcase for your shopping. You can take a suit pack and a carry on suitcase in business. If I am traveling somewhere with good shopping I throw the suit pack into the spare suitcase - this way I have extra space in the suit pack for clothes that I can take onboard which means more space in the suitcase for shopping.

I am traveling to Europe soon for work and forgot how exciting the first business class trip is until seeing how super excited the colleague I am traveling with is - it is their first long haul business class trip.

We're late sixties and about to experience our first business class trip ever, long haul to Canada. We are as excited about the plane as the rest of the holiday.

Good tip on the suit bag.   We have further flights once we're there, so have to limit the luggage going over, but are taking a couple of lightweight duffle bags once our next leg is the return journey.

Edited by born.a.girl, 21 March 2019 - 10:11 AM.

#41 born.a.girl

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:10 AM

View PostChaotic Pogo, on 20 March 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

Download podcasts / audio books as well as ebooks.

Noise cancelling headphones? I find planes very loud.

Do some online shopping before you go so its delivered just before/when you are there  (obviously not for stuff you actually *want* to browse).

I had a second suitcase delivered to my hotel to put my other shopping in...

Another vote for the noise cancelling headphones - over the ear ones. Ours are Bose.   Trip three years ago husband had his Bose, I had a $70 on ear pair that I lasted an hour with.  Gave them to the op shop when I got back.

ETA: Hey that's a clever trick with the suitcase, I guess we could get cheapie luggage in Vancouver.

Edited by born.a.girl, 21 March 2019 - 10:11 AM.

#42 JBH

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:34 AM

View PostMose, on 21 March 2019 - 07:47 AM, said:

Flights still aren't nailed down, at the moment it is coming down to
Qantas - 4 hours from last meeting at Canary wharf to take off
Emirates - will not arrive until mid afternoon Sunday so can't get to church and may not be enough time to properly wake myself up
Singapore - need to leave quite early Saturday morning when I was hoping to have at least a little time to check things are in order on the home front before I go

So needs to be a compromise somehwere.  I am currently thinking Emirates or Singapore - I think the Qantas scenario will stress me out the whole time.  TfL website reckons just over an hour from canary wharf to Heathrow (Jubilee/Piccadilly lines), and Heathrow says check in 60 minutes prior for business class, so in theory it should be fine, but relying my entire plan on the Piccadilly line doesn't do much for me I must say....

No competition on the flights - Singapore.  Things will go ok on the home front. You have many, many Saturday mornings at home and so few opportunities to attend your old church, which sounds like it is meaningful for you. And stress to end the trip sounds unpleasant and could mar the last day.

#43 Mose

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:22 PM

View PostJBH, on 21 March 2019 - 10:34 AM, said:

No competition on the flights - Singapore.  Things will go ok on the home front. You have many, many Saturday mornings at home and so few opportunities to attend your old church, which sounds like it is meaningful for you. And stress to end the trip sounds unpleasant and could mar the last day.

Oh, that's a helpful way of looking at it, thank you.

I have the travel agent currently checking whether it is possible to take the Qantas flight 24 hours later (extra day in London. Oh well!), as I prefer the Qantas departure time from Australia, But if not I will go Singapore.

#44 FloralArrangement

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:33 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 21 March 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:

Another vote for the noise cancelling headphones - over the ear ones. Ours are Bose.   Trip three years ago husband had his Bose, I had a $70 on ear pair that I lasted an hour with.  Gave them to the op shop when I got back.

ETA: Hey that's a clever trick with the suitcase, I guess we could get cheapie luggage in Vancouver.

Born a girl go into Winners they’re through Canada, have designer and cool stuff at great prices including luggage. There is one in Vancouver.

#45 Mose

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:47 PM

All booked in now on Qantas (flight that leaves lunchtime Saturday so still there in time for church) and coming back leaving early afternoon the day after my last meeting finishes, theoretically Qantas but is actually the Emirates flight that I liked for the return leg.  Perfect.

Now to decide what to do with one more evening.... and a morning.... [nothing is totally an option for one of them!]

#46 Mose

Posted 30 March 2019 - 08:52 AM

Am in the car on the way to the airport now.

Am ridiculously thrilled to discover via Google that the gorgeous handbag shop in Clerkenwell I bought a bag from nearly ten years ago is still there! Add that one to the list, for sure!!!

#47 SplashingRainbows

Posted 30 March 2019 - 09:25 AM

Oh enjoy!!! I hope you have a fabulous time OP.

#48 Mose

Posted 30 March 2019 - 09:45 AM

Thank you!!

Am now in the lounge, drinking a coffee, heating breakfast.  And importantly I cannot hear anyone
a) crying
b) screaming
C) sulking
D) looking for something (irrespective of whether it is in front of them)
E) asking "why"....

And even if I could here one of those things, I wouldn't be the person who needs to attend to it!!

I think this trip is just what I need!!

#49 Tomahawk

Posted 30 March 2019 - 09:50 AM

Have a great time. I'm so jealous! Currently sitting watching my kids do gymnastics and this room smells like feet...

#50 Mose

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:16 AM

Well, someone upthread said I should share so you can live vicariously, so for your amusement

There is a lady wandering around the lounge randomly offering ice-cream and waffles.  Which is nice I suppose, but she doesn't seem to have many takers, and the ice cream on the hot waffle isn't really coping too well with how long it is taking her to find people who want them....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.