You won't believe where you'll find me...

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Mose

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:41 PM

POPULAR

I have been working on a paper for another organisation.  Subject I am passionate about and requires some international lobbying for change in professional standards.

I have enjoyed the work greatly, but it has been a huge time sucker in an already over-full work calendar.

Said organisation asked me last week if I would go to Europe to present it!!

DH got on board and said I must just go.  I was so damn excited to think of 24 hours on a plane where other people can annoy me if I let them but I don't have to do anything about anyone except myself!  And then another 24 back again!  Plus 4 days of actually working when I need to work and no rushing to pick ups and drop offs. Plus I get to do something professionally awesome.  I can survive long flights and jet lag for this!  What a treat!

They have just stepped it up a notch informed me that as they are booking my travel, it is in accordance with their organisational policies.

Oh yes EB, you will find me in business class.  I will be the one reading my book, doing my work, eating, whatever and not unwrapping cutlery for little people, reading stories or walking up and down the plane.  There may be a glass of wine involved.

I often read the threads on here where people say they book themselves into a hotel for a night or two on their own, and think how awesome that would be.  Just to only have to think about one person for a little while...

I love my family very, very much, and I bet I will miss them like crazy.  But this is awesome!!

#2 ~J_F~

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:43 PM

Enjoy it Mose.

BTW it’s ok to not miss your family that much or even think about them and just enjoy the time.

#3 little lion

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:45 PM

How awesome! Congratulations. Enjoy every minute of it.

#4 nup

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:46 PM

I'm so excited for you! This is just fabulous. I really think you need to extend though;it's a very short turn around. Can you take celebratory time as a reward for your work and explore the city it is in?

#5 Freddie'sMum

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:48 PM

Woo hoo !!!  Go you OP !!!

#6 SplashingRainbows

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:50 PM

Congratulations Mose. Well deserved. Enjoy.

#7 lizzzard

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:54 PM

Congratulations!!! What an awesome opportunity and lots of fun too! I’m on an economy flight back from Europe today so I’m very jealous about the BC travel as well 😄

#8 Mose

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:55 PM

View Postnup, on 08 March 2019 - 06:46 PM, said:

I'm so excited for you! This is just fabulous. I really think you need to extend though;it's a very short turn around. Can you take celebratory time as a reward for your work and explore the city it is in?

Well, the added bonus, is that it's actually in a city I lived in for a number of years.  So I am happy just making some social plans around what I am doing for work.

Although I am there 4 nights, I will be away from here 6, which is about my comfort level both with leaving the children and with relying on the goodwill of others to make things hum in my absence.  I could stay longer, but I would rather go for the length of time I feel genuinely good about.

ETA Probably when I am in the depths of "don't know which way is up" jetlag, I will regret this, but for now it's the time period I can feel excited about, so I am running with it!

Edited by Mose, 08 March 2019 - 06:59 PM.

#9 Chocolate Addict

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:56 PM

wow,, how exciting. Enjoy :)

#10 nup

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:59 PM

This is perfect. My max is 10 days. I hear you. Enjoy every moment. And don't dare feel bad about any of it. Lap. It. Up.

#11 Caribou

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:13 PM

Business class! That’s the best kind! You’ll absolutely love it. Make sure you read up all on perks of the airlines business class on plane the lounge. Familiar yourself with where the Lounge is at airports.

Enjoy it. And congrats on the work you’ve done! That’s fantastic stuff!! Enjoy :)

#12 TheGreenSheep

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:21 PM

I stopped reading at the words business class, the rest was just a blur.

#13 Mose

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:38 PM

View PostTheGreenSheep, on 08 March 2019 - 07:21 PM, said:

I stopped reading at the words business class, the rest was just a blur.

Funny...I kind of stopped thinking straight when I heard it.  It's all a bit unbelievable really.

#14 Whattothink

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:43 PM

Woohoooo! That is sooo exciting!
It’s great to be going away, but how fantastic to be so recrecognisd for the work that you’ve done 😃

#15 JBH

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:50 PM

What a fabulous professional achievement and great validation. Happy International Women’s Day!

#16 born.a.girl

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:01 PM

Excellent stuff!  Congratulations.

#17 Freddy6

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:04 PM

Don't forget to come in and share how it all went, some of us are living vicariously through you!

Congratulations, how wonderful for you

#18 Future-self

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:28 PM

I was writing out some professional goals for myself just last week - I had presenting at a European conference in 5 years. Am off now to scribble “flying business class” next to it .
Congratulations and enjoy!

#19 TrixieBelden

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:32 PM

That is awesome good on you!

Please provide details +++ when you go

#20 FloralArrangement

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:06 PM

I managed 3 weeks away from dh and the younger 3, I did go over to where my older two were working  to see them. I also did 2 weeks with just dh 3 years ago. I think because the children are no longer very young children and I was visiting amazing places I was fine.

I can remember doing a 6 day trip to a family wedding when they were all much younger and that was tough, but I still had a blast.  

You will have a marvellous head spinning time and congratulations on a wonderful achievement.

Edited by FloralArrangement, 09 March 2019 - 05:07 PM.

#21 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:17 PM

I remember when DH and I flew to Darwin kid free, those 4 hours were bliss. He thought I was crazy cause he travels so much, but just 4 hours of forced nothing was amazing. No kids nagging, no housework begging to be done, just nothing to do.
Business class would be awesome.

#22 No Drama Please

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:18 PM

View PostJBH, on 08 March 2019 - 07:50 PM, said:

What a fabulous professional achievement and great validation. Happy International Women’s Day!
Yes!! Perfect. Congratulations on your well deserved accomplishment. Extremely exciting times!

#23 SelceLisbeth

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:23 PM

That is fricken awesome. Well done and enjoy!

#24 cira

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:05 PM

wow! Congratulations1

#25 born.a.girl

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:06 PM

I've only (yet) flown business class once, when they were looking for volunteers to wait until the next flight from Brisbane to Melbourne.

Unbeknown to me, it included a meal (unlike economy) so my Brisbane based partner and I had a meal to fill in the time.

Damned if I was going to miss out on that business class meal with PROPER CUTLERY, though.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 1 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.