The name BARON banned!

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#26 Luci

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:59 PM

View PostIamzFeralz, on 08 March 2019 - 04:48 PM, said:

I reckon OP is having some Friday fun.  Look at their post count!

Yes quite possibly but gotta love the perceived wisdom of us EB'ers - who cares what it says in the Births Deaths & Marriages Act 1996 - just ask EB!!

#27 Bono25

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:07 PM

View PostImaginary friend, on 08 March 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

I know a Prince and a Princess - but they may have been named in other countries and then moved to Australia, not sure.
They are from African heritage.

I also know a Justice but can't remember spelling, she was born in Australia and is about 20 years old.
Have also met older man about 60, called Duke.
And several called King, short for Kingsley.

Justice seems silly to ban as it is also a word and no different to calling your child Faith or Prudence or any other virtue name.

Re Barron - I don't think most people associate it with Trumps son and anyway Trump will come and go and people will not remember names of his children for long.

Not a fan of the name though, using any spelling.

Aaron is a similar sounding name and a conventional well known name but not over popular.
Perhaps consider that?

Or even the name Barry, which Baron would probably get for short anyway and is an established name although out of fashion now but BDM would have no issue with.

Judges are referred to as justice,so it's very different.

#28 kerilyntaryn

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:19 PM

I think just use Aaron,  much nicer

#29 BadCat

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:33 PM

I love that people are assuming the OP wouldn't want the Trump association.  They may be sitting there in a MAGA hat right now.

Regardless, I reckon Barron would pass muster but you're gonna have to bite the bullet and contact BDM.  Send them an email if you can't be bothered to hold.

#30 ~J_WTF~

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:38 PM

View PostBadCat, on 08 March 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

I love that people are assuming the OP wouldn't want the Trump association.  They may be sitting there in a MAGA hat right now.

:rofl:

It did cross my mind that maybe he might like Trump association, then I thought surely no one is that bonkers....

#31 Nobodyelse

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:47 PM

View Post~J_F~, on 08 March 2019 - 05:38 PM, said:

Posted Image

It did cross my mind that maybe he might like Trump association, then I thought surely no one is that bonkers....

It is easy to think that but yet, here we are with an orange fool in the Whitehouse.

#32 QuisbySchmoo

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:50 PM

The prohibitive use of the name must be a fairly recent thing because out of curiosity I just did a search of Ancestry for all christian name records of Baron in Australia. There is quite a few of them in the 60s, 70s and 1980 electoral rolls.

#33 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:03 PM

Alternatives: Duke, Earl, Marquis, Laird, Viscount...

#34 QuisbySchmoo

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:08 PM

or Bart. (including the full-stop)

Edited by QuisbySchmoo, 08 March 2019 - 06:09 PM.

#35 Mollycoddle

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:17 PM

View PostImaginary friend, on 08 March 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

Re Barron - I don't think most people associate it with Trumps son and anyway Trump will come and go and people will not remember names of his children for long.

Respectfully disagree. Never ever heard of another person with this name, Trump springs to mind instantly.

#36 CallMeFeral

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:24 PM

View PostMollycoddle, on 08 March 2019 - 09:17 PM, said:

Respectfully disagree. Never ever heard of another person with this name, Trump springs to mind instantly.

Yeah apart from the couple of reknowned Baron-Cohen's I've never heard it till Trump (and obviously it's not a first name in the former scenario). And Trump strikes me as the sort of person who WOULD do it because it sounds like a title...

#37 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:38 PM

I remember an episode of the Oprah show where she hung out with Trump and Melania. Baron was a baby and I remember Oprah saying what a great name Baron was.  I'm thinking huh? It's a terrible name!

#38 WaitForMe

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:43 PM

Trump was the first thing that sprung to my mind.

I was busy thinking wow, what is BDMs rationale in banning using Trump's son's name? Lol forgot it was a title.

OP, who cares what BDM says - you and your child are in for a world of pain using Baron. Even if you are a Trump supporter, I strongly suggest you don't advertise that quite so openly.

And if you aren't a Trump supporter, do you really want people to think you are?

#39 Cherubs

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:03 PM

Growing up my neighbours dog's name was Baron, he was a very good boy :D

#40 AliasMater

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:07 PM

When I first heard the name (Trump's son) my first thought was 'poor kid'.

It makes me think of an empty, lifeless, deserted wasteland. I know that is 'barrEn'... but it sounds the same.

#41 Cimbom

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:58 PM

View PostFeral Grey Mare, on 08 March 2019 - 06:03 PM, said:

Alternatives: Duke, Earl, Marquis, Laird, Viscount...
Marquis and Viscount have a nice ring to them :p

#42 FEdeRAL

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:27 AM

View Post~J_F~, on 08 March 2019 - 05:38 PM, said:

:rofl:

I’m on Twitter quite a bit. You would be surprised how many LNP supporters are also Trump admirers.

#43 schwatzen

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:38 AM

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Baron_(name)

#44 schwatzen

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:39 AM

https://en.wikipedia...i/Barron_Hilton

Barron Hilton was the OG. Possibly where Trump got the name from?

#45 Imaginary friend

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:53 AM

Well, possibly.

Possibly is also a known name in US although is not here.

Eta - bit of googling seems to suggest this is so - not used a lot there but comes up as known name with history of use.

Edited by Imaginary friend, 09 March 2019 - 01:04 AM.

#46 Imaginary friend

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:57 AM

View PostBono25, on 08 March 2019 - 05:07 PM, said:

Judges are referred to as justice,so it's very different.

Yes I know that but I still think calling your child Justice would be like calling them Faith or similar - it clearly has a common word meaning as well as a title.
So seems silly to me to ban it.

Whereas Prince, for example, does not mean anything but a royal title, it is not a virtue name.

#47 schwatzen

Posted 09 March 2019 - 02:00 AM

View PostImaginary friend, on 09 March 2019 - 12:53 AM, said:

Well, possibly.

Possibly is also a known name in US although is not here.

Eta - bit of googling seems to suggest this is so - not used a lot there but comes up as known name with history of use.

Maybe because no one want to think 'barren' :lol:

#48 Luci

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:17 AM

I have never taken any interest in what Trump is up to, but I also thought of him the second I heard the name.

#49 Sancti-claws

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:00 AM

I knew a Baron many years ago, but he was from West Africa (I also knew Prince, Princess, Hopeful and Teaspoon)

If you really want a Baz, how about Basil, Bartholomew - or go old school:

The given name Barry is derived from Gaelic, possibly being an Anglicised form of the personal name Báire, which is a short form of the related Irish names Bairrfhionn or Barrfind ("fair-headed", "fair-haired"). and Finbar, or Fionnbharr ("fair-topped", "fair-haired").

I think Baron is too close to Barren and wouldn't touch it even if BDM said I could...

#50 Crazy4

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:12 AM

Makes me think of a drug lord. Not something I would hope my son turned into

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.