Thoughts on full name

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 snowball

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:24 PM

Baby number two on the way and we don't know the gender. My favourite boy's name is Angus but need opinions on whether you think it goes ok with our surname Morris?
Angus Morris does it sound ok? Help please.

#2 Katerina 34

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:35 PM

I like the name Angus very much but I have never been a fan of first names and last names ending with the same sound- esp with same number of syllables. But that is a particular gripe of mine and I think if you like it go for it!

#3 rosie28

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:49 PM

It’s a bit of a mouthful for me, sort of rhyme-y. I do love the name Angus though....

#4 José

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:52 PM

as above, it doesnt quite work.

#5 Gudrun

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:53 PM

Angus is a great name. With surname Morris would be a problem for me though I know it isn't for others.  Silas Harris is an example I know and I'm guessing everyone else thinks that's fine.

So it's whether it's a concern to you.

#6 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:57 PM

Love love love Angus!

I don't mind it with Morris, how often will it be said together? Honestly, not that often.

What middle name have you picked?

Suggestions:

Reuben Morris
Fraser Morris
Benjamin Morris
Jonah Morris
Adam Morris

#7 amdirel

Posted 16 February 2019 - 10:10 PM

Nope it doesn't go well imo.

#8 kerilyntaryn

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:24 AM

no it doesnt go too well

#9 snowball

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:44 AM

View Post~THE~MAGICIAN~, on 16 February 2019 - 09:57 PM, said:

Love love love Angus!

I don't mind it with Morris, how often will it be said together? Honestly, not that often.

What middle name have you picked?

Suggestions:

Reuben Morris
Fraser Morris
Benjamin Morris
Jonah Morris
Adam Morris

Middle name will be Matthew (family name). So full name would be Angus Matthew Morris.

#10 kerilyntaryn

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:46 AM

it's ok with the 3 names,  but most times it will just be first and last, actually saying it again,  it's ok

#11 snowball

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:47 AM

I have been in two minds on this name. It really is my favourite boy's name, I'd love to use it, but have been really on the fence with how it sounds with our surname... Something that most of you have now confirmed.
Was talking to a friend yesterday and she mentioned how often do we say ones whole name, and this prompted me to ask the question here.

#12 Hands Up

Posted 17 February 2019 - 07:05 AM

It doesn’t flow well, imo.

#13 Prancer is coming

Posted 17 February 2019 - 07:11 AM

The other thing to consider, if he has another Angus in his class/sport team, he will get called Angus Morris more.  Not sure how popular the name is at present, but I have heard it enough to think there is a chance it could happen.

What about Hamish, Archer, Evan or Owen?

#14 snowball

Posted 17 February 2019 - 07:27 AM

View PostPrancer is coming, on 17 February 2019 - 07:11 AM, said:

The other thing to consider, if he has another Angus in his class/sport team, he will get called Angus Morris more.  Not sure how popular the name is at present, but I have heard it enough to think there is a chance it could happen.

What about Hamish, Archer, Evan or Owen?

Thanks for your input, that's true, I didn't think of that.

Hmm don't think I will use the name. I think it will bother me too much as well.
Such a shame.

#15 Gudrun

Posted 17 February 2019 - 08:55 AM

Angus Matthew Morris known as Gus Morris works if that's an option.

#16 ~J_F~

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:07 AM

Angus Morris doesn’t work.

It’s feels hard to get out when you say it. If it was first name and middle name, you could probably get away with because a lot of people rarely use their middle name but as first and surname, which will be used together a lot, its a no from me!

#17 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:17 AM

Sadly I think it does not go well with the surname. I like the suggestion of other Scottish themed names:

Lachlan
Andrew
Hamish
Fraser
Dougall

My sister was at school with a Maurice Harris and it always sounded awkward.

#18 Zippypeaks

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:18 AM

If you like the name, go for it! I think it sounds great. IMO it's actually pretty rare for a child to have their complete name said out loud, usually used if there are two or more children with the same first name in the same room. I think filling out forms is when both names are used together the most.

#19 snowball

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:41 AM

View PostGudrun, on 17 February 2019 - 08:55 AM, said:

Angus Matthew Morris known as Gus Morris works if that's an option.

I would probably use Angus and Gus - love Gus and also have a family connection to this name, which is another reason why I love Angus.

#20 snowball

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:44 AM

View PostFeral Grey Mare, on 17 February 2019 - 09:17 AM, said:

Sadly I think it does not go well with the surname. I like the suggestion of other Scottish themed names:

Lachlan
Andrew
Hamish
Fraser
Dougall

My sister was at school with a Maurice Harris and it always sounded awkward.

Thanks for the other suggestions, but the only other name I like from that list is Lachlan and we can't use that as another child in our family has it.

#21 AliasMater

Posted 17 February 2019 - 12:06 PM

I don't think they sound great together.

#22 Zeppelina

Posted 17 February 2019 - 12:14 PM

Honestly OP, if you love the name, use it. I truly don't think people will be thinking, "Oh...that's an awkward combo," or "Oh, that's so difficult to pronounce," or anything similar, when they hear the name (personally, I think it's neither awkward nor difficult to pronounce!). Especially after they meet the baby behind the name! Same goes for you - it will just become his name after a bit, and I really doubt you'll spend your life regretting it (whereas you might spend your life wishing you'd named him a name that you truly love). (If you were going to name him Horace Morris, I'd probably say that's a bit much though!)

Full disclaimer, I have a big no-no of a name, with first, middle, and surname all beginning with the same letter (which has bothered me exactly 0 times in my life), and named my children with another big no-no - very European-sounding first names, with a very Anglo-sounding surname. I love their names, they love their names, it's all good here.

Edited by Zeppelina, 17 February 2019 - 12:15 PM.

#23 Gudrun

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:22 PM

You might then consider other Gus names that are not bisyllabic with final 's' sound.

Alternatively Gus on the birth certificate and NN Angus.

Gustav/Gustave/Gustaf/Gustavo
August/Auguste/Augustus/Augustine/Augustin
Gaston
Gaspard

#24 lizzybirdsworth

Posted 17 February 2019 - 05:48 PM

What about swapping it around to Matthew Angus Morris. I quite like the sound of Matthew Morris

#25 kerilyntaryn

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:56 PM

if there is a family connection I'd use it,  would you consider it as a mn or just us Gus as a nn

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.