Breastfeeding is driving me insane

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 Minnie80

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:51 PM

MrsT2018, on 15 February 2019 - 01:31 PM, said:

One of my friends baby had reflux - without the milk coming back out.

Maybe look into this with your doctor?...

• Usually milk is the main part of what is brought up and this does not worry the baby, but acid from the stomach may hurt (heartburn) and in bad cases the lining of the tube from the throat to the stomach (the oesophagus) can become sore and inflamed. This is called gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) and it is actually quite uncommon.

Is it gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD)?

Often unsettled babies are said to have GORD (often just called 'reflux'), but GORD may not be the reason for most unsettled behaviour, even in babies who spill. It can be hard to tell whether crying is due to GORD. Some behaviours that might suggest GORD include:
  • - Spilling or swallowing with signs of being uncomfortable.
  • - Fussy feeding, when the baby takes a small amount hungrily, then cries and refuses to continue feeding.
  • - Restless sleeping (for example waking and crying about 20 minutes after being put down to sleep).
  • - The baby feeling very tense and stiff and arching back (however most babies will become stiff and arch when they are crying hard, and this behaviour is caused by many things, not only reflux).
  • - Coughing after a feed.
  • - The baby seems more comfortable if she is held upright.
  • - The baby seems much better for a short time if she is given an antacid (but only try this if advised to by your doctor).

It happens so fast though. Just one or two sucks then she starts crying and spits it out.

#27 Apageintime

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:55 PM

Minnie80, on 15 February 2019 - 01:20 PM, said:

Can somebody explain to me why a baby would repeatedly take the nipple then spit it out while crying and hysterical? I can't find anything on the net about it other then a too fast flow, which is not our problem at all.

Can be because the lip and tounge tie are making feeding difficult, and tiring for your baby.

I would get these fixed ASAP.

my son was a toally different baby after getting ties fixed, and BF like a dream from then on

#28 Apageintime

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:57 PM

Here is some info from the place we got DS's tongue tie released.
It is helpful in understanding the whole impact ties can have
http://www.enhancede...ie-information/

#29 MrsT2018

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:57 PM

Well I'm not a health professional sorry - but it does sound like your baby is experiencing pain from swallowing? If they have reflux the oesophagus could be really sore and inflamed and hurts as soon as they feed?

I don't know, just offering a suggestion. I'll msg my friend to ask how they helped it in case it was a simple thing you can try.

#30 Paddlepop

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:26 PM

How does she react to a bottle teat when you top her up with EBM or formula? Perhaps your let down is too slow for her, or she's too hungry to wait for the let down.

Please consider formula, at least for top ups, and allow yourself to enjoy your new baby instead of being so focused on breastfeeding. Putting this much pressure on yourself puts you at higher risk of PND.

#31 lucky 2

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:30 PM

Minnie, if you want to get some expert help could you get back in contact with the LC?
Spitting the breast out after a few sucks can happen when baby wants to instinctively latch due to hunger but is unable to draw the nipple deep enough into the mouth to gain or maintain a latch.
It isn't likely to be due to slow flow at 6 days, your baby is likely upset because of a difficulty latching.
I'd also take a guess that it's a bit too early to consider a medical condition such as esophageal reflux.
It maybe related to oral structures, IE a short tongue/tongue movement restriction. Or sometimes mum has short or flat or inverted nipples so it's hard for baby to draw the nipple to the right depth in the mouth.
The answers won't usually be found on the internet because your situation is unique but it is evident that you are very tired and stressed.
You may be having flashbacks to your past bfing experiences, adding to your distress.
I hope you can get more support, babies don't sleep well at night but in a week or 2 she might settle easier at night.

You will probably have a higher milk production with this baby.
Are you using large 24mm nipple shield?
If you can't bf and you feel unable to express 8 times in 24 hrs then you may need to supplement with infant formula.
If you can express you may yield more milk if you cap the length of time you express to no longer than 20-30 mins and express each breast twice, switching sides when the flow slows.
If you could express it will help keep your breasts producing milk whilst you work through your thoughts and feelings about what might be the most successful way of feeding your baby.
All the best.:)

#32 Kafkaesque

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:13 PM

I never recommend that news mums express every feed 24 hours a day, unless they really want to have fabulous support. You will burn out far too quickly. Generally one express over night if you feel able and then as often as possible during the day but minimum of 4 times.  Also i recommend expressing for no longer than 20 minutes.

Supplement with formula while you pursue breastfeeding. Continue to offer the breast each feed and express when you can and top up with formula when you need to. A baby that isn’t getting enough milk will be tired and irritable or tired and lethargic. Either way it makes it difficult to feed well. Get the hydration and basic energy requirements up and then it will hopefully be easier to work out what’s happening with the breastfeeding.

Edited by Kafkaesque, 16 February 2019 - 01:14 PM.

#33 LoveMyMuffins

Posted 18 February 2019 - 03:59 PM

Get checked for silent reflux. My first had it and only when she started losec at 9 weeks did everything settle down. Basically acid comes up and they swallow it back down. Had to keep her elevated. She had fouls smelling sour milk/acid breath, wake crying every 20,30 mins. Pull off screaming while feeding. Teething always made the losec useless. Oh she also had cow’s milk and soy protein intolerance. Formula was out for me. Had to remove soy and dairy from my diet and continued breastfeeding.

#34 Soontobegran

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:37 PM

Minnie has your baby settled into breast feeding ? I read your other thread which would indicate she sucks but sleeps all the time.

#35 Minnie80

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:59 PM

Soontobegran, on 18 February 2019 - 07:37 PM, said:

Minnie has your baby settled into breast feeding ? I read your other thread which would indicate she sucks but sleeps all the time.

Yes she sleeps while bf. Every time. She's mainly surviving on the pumped milk we give her with a syringe.

#36 Just Jack

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:49 PM

Kafkaesque, on 16 February 2019 - 01:13 PM, said:

I never recommend that news mums express every feed 24 hours a day, unless they really want to have fabulous support. You will burn out far too quickly. Generally one express over night if you feel able and then as often as possible during the day but minimum of 4 times.  Also i recommend expressing for no longer than 20 minutes.

OP, if you *want* to, exclusively expressing long term can be done. It's a pain in the butt, anf time consuming, but removes the stress of knowing how much they're getting. And removes the issue about poor milk transfer too, whether the issue is flat nipples, ties, small mouth, whatever. I exclusively expressed for 2 bubs, 12mths+.

Do you have a good double pump?

If you're keen to pump, pump for 5 min past the end of your letdown, to signal your body to up production, don't stick to a set time. Some peoole empty faster than others.

If you're keen to exclusively express, i can recommend a good FB group full of knowledgable people.

Of course, as others have said, absolutely nothing wrong with formula either.

Good luck!

#37 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:20 AM

I have supply issues due to a medical condition and mixed feeding was great for us.

#38 Minnie80

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:29 PM

It's the inconsistency that is driving me nuts. I will try a method or technique that will work and think bingo! But when I try it again, it fails. Yesterday, I managed to get her to latch correctly and she nursed for half an hour, then slept, which I hoped means that she was full. I tried to do it again through the night, but couldn't. So frustrating!!!

#39 mayahlb

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:41 PM

Minnie both you and her are still learning how to BF. It will take time and a bit of effort. My youngest was the same. And he’s scream so much after I pried him off to relatch him properly. I hope it improves quickly for you. Don’t be afraid to use formula if you need to.

#40 Minnie80

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:10 AM

I took my baby to the pediatrician today to be weighed and she only gained 40 g!!! She was born 3 kg, then went down to 2.7 and for the past week only gained 40 g. I am really worried because even though we are struggling with bf, we do give her breast milk with a syringe. Usually around 60 ml. Shouldn't she gain weight with that? I'm so worried.
But the doctor prescribed some formula, so hopefully she will gain weight God willing.

#41 Sancti-claws

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:00 AM

I am so sorry that it is such a battle with you and your baby, OP.

My second had a tongue tie and it was hell for the first bit, and never the pleasant exchange that I had with my older child.

I kept going back to the hospital - they had a lactation consultant that I saw several times to save myself from going mad - and the tie gradually improved slightly.

We ended up adding formula to the mix when I went back to work when she was 7 months, but managing to maintain my part of the bargain until I begged time out when she was 3 - she is still obsessed with my boobs, but by then I was well and truly ready to hang them up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.