solve this mystery for me...slow cooker related!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 maryanneK

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:54 PM

I've just bought a new slow cooker.
I'm loving it, but obviously (I think) it often makes a huge quantity and my tendency is to stick the pot in the fridge (once cool) to eat for dinner or lunch the next day
but the instructions say not to put the pot in the fridge and I cant for the life of me figure out why that would be.
any ideas?

#2 xx1stxx

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:59 PM

Perhaps drop in temperature can cause bowl to crack....hmmm dunno really.

#3 kadoodle

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:08 PM

If it’s ceramic, the sudden change in temperature can crack the bowl. One it’s tepid you’re all good.

#4 maryanneK

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:14 PM

It's a metal bowl....Teflon type coating but I don't see how that would be affected? I find the instructions weird. If they said "let cool before placing in fridge" I could understand it...but not "do not put in fridge"

#5 YumChaTheSecond

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:24 PM

Are the company trying to sell you other ("fridge-safe") bowls as well?

#6 Speckle Park

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:26 PM

Could they be recycled instructions from a previous model? Or generic instructions for a range of slow cookers?

A flatmate once put a hot container of food in the fridge and it cracked the glass fridge shelf. Possibly there was a little air bubble there and crrrrrRACK!

#7 Sancti-claws

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:40 PM

Why wouldn't you put the contents into a sealable container in the fridge?

I have no scientific explanation, but possibilities floating through my brain are:
  • The metal is porous and will have a chemical reaction to the cold?
  • They fear cross contamination related food poisoning from ferals who cannot comprehend the need to bring the container to room temperature before cooling/heating so they just tell you not to?
  • They fear people discovering their fridges are too small and will sue them for shelf damage?
  • They can't understand the concept of leftovers because they always have 12 for dinner...

#8 lizzzard

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:52 PM

Are you sure the instructions aren’t saying not to put the bowl in the fridge if the contents are still hot?

Also, a refrigerated bowl should not be used directly from the fridge as it affects how quickly it heats and might not cook the food as expected...maybe this has something to do with the recommendation too?

Edited by lizzzard, 12 February 2019 - 10:01 PM.

#9 IamtheMumma

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:52 PM

Have done it for years. We're all good.....the extra limbs just fall off after a while and no one comments on our green scales anymore.

#10 Just Jack

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:01 PM

Maybe they mean don't pre-chop ingredients and put them in the crock in the fridge, because the sudden change of temp when you take it out of the fridge and put it on to cook might be too much for it?

#11 Lou-bags

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:29 AM

Sancti-claws, on 12 February 2019 - 09:40 PM, said:

[*]They fear cross contamination related food poisoning from ferals who cannot comprehend the need to bring the container to room temperature before cooling/heating so they just tell you not to?

Slightly off topic- but I’m a bit lost by this, what do you mean here with the food poisoning and bringing container to room temp?

#12 BornToLove

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:43 AM

Just my personal observation, but I find the slow cooker pot harder to clean when leftovers are stored in it.

If it’s non-stick, I would also be concerned that the extreme changes in temperature (hot then very cold and very hot again) will wear on the coating a lot faster.

#13 BornToLove

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:53 AM

Lou-bags, on 13 February 2019 - 12:29 AM, said:

Slightly off topic- but I’m a bit lost by this, what do you mean here with the food poisoning and bringing container to room temp?

It has to do with the ‘food temperature danger zone’ bacteria can grow when food is left too long between 5C and 60C. Proper food handling means keeping food stored outside the danger zone as quickly as possible.

It can take a long time for a slow cooker pot to cool, so keeping food too warm for too long and allowing bacteria to grow. If the pot is still warm and packed tightly into a fridge, it can raise the temperature of the fridge (and food stored near the pot) since the cool air can’t circulate as efficiently.

#14 gracie1978

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:32 AM

^agree

To cool things down more quickly take them out of the hot slow cooker container and put them in a room temperature one

It's drives me nuts when my partner dies stuff like this, he's just trying to avoid cleaning the original container and it takes up so much space in the fridge.

#15 Chelara

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:15 AM

Acidic or tomato based sauce can react to metals. Store it in a glass or ceremic container.

#16 Octopodes

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:00 AM

My guess is poor translation to English. Are there any telltale signs of the instructions originating from a country where English is not the first language?

Edited by Octopodes, 13 February 2019 - 07:01 AM.

#17 Lou-bags

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:42 PM

BornToLove, on 13 February 2019 - 03:53 AM, said:

It has to do with the ‘food temperature danger zone’ bacteria can grow when food is left too long between 5C and 60C. Proper food handling means keeping food stored outside the danger zone as quickly as possible.

It can take a long time for a slow cooker pot to cool, so keeping food too warm for too long and allowing bacteria to grow. If the pot is still warm and packed tightly into a fridge, it can raise the temperature of the fridge (and food stored near the pot) since the cool air can’t circulate as efficiently.

Oh ok, I thought you meant cool the food before putting it into the fridge first- like my ILs do despite my best efforts, but wanted to check if I misunderstood (which I did) before I ‘set you straight’ lol. But you’re all over it already clearly :)

On this topic, does anyone know where I can purchase some very shallow large plastic or glass containers? I freeze things like sauces and meat in ziplock bags but I’d love a reusable alternative. I know people wash and reuse their ziplocks but I’m not prepared to do that for food safety and pure laziness reasons.

#18 Sancti-claws

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:58 PM

Lou-bags, on 13 February 2019 - 01:42 PM, said:

Oh ok, I thought you meant cool the food before putting it into the fridge first- like my ILs do despite my best efforts, but wanted to check if I misunderstood (which I did) before I ‘set you straight’ lol. But you’re all over it already clearly Posted Image

On this topic, does anyone know where I can purchase some very shallow large plastic or glass containers? I freeze things like sauces and meat in ziplock bags but I’d love a reusable alternative. I know people wash and reuse their ziplocks but I’m not prepared to do that for food safety and pure laziness reasons.
We use takeaway containers and honey pots a lot for freezing - I buy in bulk and make my own stock so have plenty of plastics going through the system often!  But then, I also have a chest freezer (currently working - woo hoo) so height is not as much of an issue.

#19 Lou-bags

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:02 PM

The shallow flat ones was more for speed of thawing ang cooling really- which is why I love the ziplocks.

#20 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:06 PM

How large Lou bags? I’ve got a very large decor container, I think my mum bought it to store sheets of pastry flat in the freezer. I use it for slices sometimes as it’s too square for my freezer.

ETA it’s very shallow

Edited by 22Fruitmincepies, 13 February 2019 - 08:06 PM.

#21 Sancti-claws

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:33 PM

Lou-bags, on 13 February 2019 - 08:02 PM, said:

The shallow flat ones was more for speed of thawing ang cooling really- which is why I love the ziplocks.
The best ones I ever got were when some slices were bought during a cookie dough drive - I think it was a Billy G one - they had some special and it was almost worth it for the containers!

I know what you mean - I used to use the ziplock bags for ease of thawing too but have gone back to the takeaway containers and remembering to put them into the fridge the night before (yeah, right - microwave...)

#22 maryanneK

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:45 PM

interesting ideas, thanks

maybe food safety or wearing on the coating......but I do put normal pots in the fridge...

definitely the right instruction book and no issues with english

#23 casime

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:56 PM

I've ordered some of these:

https://www.aliexpre...-cce9176a402f-5

to try.  I like ziplock bags because they take up less room in the freezer than containers, but I'm trying to reduce non reusable items, so will see if these work.

#24 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:07 PM

View Postkadoodle, on 12 February 2019 - 09:08 PM, said:

If it’s ceramic, the sudden change in temperature can crack the bowl. One it’s tepid you’re all good.

This is correct (that it can crack I mean).  The pp who mentioned the food safety zone is also correct.

Also, dont put the bowl in the dishwasher even if it says its ok to. Put the food into tupperware as soon as its cool and wash the slow cooker bowl then because its harder to get it clean if you leave it too long.

Edited by WannabeMasterchef, 17 February 2019 - 11:09 PM.

#25 Riotproof

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:22 AM

How about these Lou bags ? https://www.decor.co...-oblong-625-ml/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.