How would you spell this girls name?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 cabbage88

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:34 PM

I HATE alternative spelling. I've spelled all my kids names as logically as I could, but of course people still stuff it up.

We have chosen the name "éowyn" which is pronounced "Aye-oh-win". From what I know of French, the é indicates the pronunciation but as we are aussie I'm assuming vast majority of people won't realise that and will call her "ee-oh-win" or some other made up thing.

So I thought "Aowyn" but hubby reckons that's pronounced "ewe-win" phonetically, which I guess it probably is.

Hubby wants Aeowyn, and believes that makes more sense, considering we all know names like "Renae" are pronounced "Aye" at the end, but I don't think that makes sense either. I think people will see a pile of vowels and just have NFI how to say it.

So, question one: phonetic experts on EB, what makes the most sense phonetically? I guess I don't care that much if people generally have a poor understanding of phonetics anyway, so I probably can't find a spelling the general population would get,  and would therefore prefer the most accurate spelling.

And question two, for anyone- how would you spell "aye-oh-wyn"?

#2 Allegra99

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:38 PM

I would go the traditional spelling.
I don’t think any of your alternatives make it easier to figure out the pronunciation.

#3 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:39 PM

If you want your child’s name pronounced right, don’t call them eowyn.  How about Sarah? Everyone can spell Sarah.

Otherwise, your hubby’s spelling Aeowyn was easiest for me to get my head around.

#4 Mooples

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:40 PM

Honestly regardless of how it’s spelt I’d still have no idea how to pronounce it. Stick to the traditional spelling, at least if she ever visits France people will get it right then.

#5 cabbage88

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:46 PM

Haha thanks for the replies so far honesty is good.

#6 deedee15

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:47 PM

View PostMooples, on 07 February 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

Honestly regardless of how it’s spelt I’d still have no idea how to pronounce it. Stick to the traditional spelling, at least if she ever visits France people will get it right then.
It’s not French, it’s Tolkien, the character played by Miranda Otto played, perhaps watch Lord of the rings: Two towers to hear how it should be pronounced and go from there

#7 FiveAus

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:49 PM

Gorgeous name, but out of the choices your husbands is the only one that I could actually look at and pronounce.

When I look at the original it says "Ewen" to me.

#8 FEdeRAL

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:54 PM

Isn’t Eowyn a Welsh name made famous by Tolkien in LOTR books? I would use Eowyn - most of us who have watched LOTR would have no problem pronouncing it correctly.

#9 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:55 PM

Funny timing at this hilarious sketch showed up on my Facebook yesterday.

You might appreciate it OP
https://youtu.be/d6r6nhBcIbA
I

#10 cabbage88

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:58 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 07 February 2019 - 06:55 PM, said:

Funny timing at this hilarious sketch showed up on my Facebook yesterday.

You might appreciate it OP
https://youtu.be/d6r6nhBcIbA
I

Haha!!! Ah my pregnant stomach hurts for laughing

#11 fancie shmancie

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:58 PM

Will you be spelling it with the acute over the 'E' ?

If yes (and I don't know if BDM allow accents on letters) then I like original spelling.

If the acute over the "E' is not allowed, then your husband's spelling would be better.

#12 cabbage88

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:01 PM

View PostFEdeRAL, on 07 February 2019 - 06:54 PM, said:

Isn’t Eowyn a Welsh name made famous by Tolkien in LOTR books? I would use Eowyn - most of us who have watched LOTR would have no problem pronouncing it correctly.

Yes it's from LOTR, pronounced "aye" at the beginning as he spelled with a é not e. It's purely fictional, but we love it for many reasons.

Sounds like his spelling is the most logical really!

#13 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:03 PM

Sorry, but if you don't know how to spell it then how do you expect the rest of the world to have a clue? Your child will not thank you for making them have to spell their name out for the rest of their life. Ask me how I know.

#14 Future-self

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:07 PM

You do NOT mess with Tolkien! :)
If you are using a name from a book, you use the name - which means as it is spelled. Messing with the spelling is silly - it’s no longer that name/character and just a mess of letters apparently pronounced the same. Anyone that knows that name knows how to pronounce it and anyone that doesn’t will just need to be told once. Which is the case for many many names in unfamiliar countries, cultures or dialects.

#15 AliasMater

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:14 PM

Honestly, I think you should find something else you both like.

#16 bec578

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:19 PM

I love that Michael McIntyre clip!

There is a girl near us called Arwen - yes that's the spelling!

#17 Treasure Island

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:27 PM

There is a girl near us called Arwen - yes that's the spelling!

Another LOTR name (Liv Tyler's character).

I think Eowyn is pretty, it isn't too difficult and people can ask if they have trouble anyway. If you love it, use it.

#18 spr_maiden

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:31 PM

It's a beautiful name, the guy had a way to make words sound pretty clearly.

Use his spelling or your DH's.

#19 MarigoldMadge

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:33 PM

Love that clip - I'm a Sarah and I'm always saying with a h.

I've had a few people ask me over the years if that's with a Z or an S - teeth grindingly annoying.

#20 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:52 PM

What about my fave girls name that's similar, Kerowyn?
She's a kick butt character from Mercedes Lackey's Valdamar series. Couldn't ever use it as niece is Kiera so too close.

#21 kerilyntaryn

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:53 PM

I think stick with the original spelling

#22 MissMilla

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:55 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 07 February 2019 - 06:39 PM, said:

If you want your child’s name pronounced right, don’t call them eowyn.  How about Sarah? Everyone can spell Sarah.

Otherwise, your hubby’s spelling Aeowyn was easiest for me to get my head around.

She would be 'sarah with an h'
Its my sister's name and everyone spells is sara ;)

#23 Avocado tree

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:55 PM

No offence, but why would you saddle a child with a name neither you nor you partner can agree on the pronunciation of?  

If you go ahead, don’t ever get upset or angry or annoyed that people mispronounce or misspell your child’s name.  Unfortunately she doesn’t get a choice, and she will be the one who wears the burden.

I haven’t read or seen LOTR’s so wouldn’t have a clue.

Maybe you could use the name you obviously like for your next pet?

#24 casime

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:58 PM

I've spent my entire life having to correct the pronunciation and spelling of my name.  Please don't do that to a child.

#25 José

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:02 PM

i would look at each of the spellings and have no idea!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.