So regarding school stationery...

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Riotproof

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:03 PM

Where do people go? Does it work out cheaper at office works?

Are any brands of pencils that are better than others?

Bravo be for not picking on my spelling error.

Edited by Riotproof, 01 February 2019 - 10:57 PM.

#2 seayork2002

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:07 PM

I just go to Woolworth's/Target/Big W, I will probably go to office works for high school but Woolworth's seems the main place as after Christmas (at mine at least) they seem to have it all reduced.

This year the school specifically asked for 'non Smiggle type stationery' (it actually says that on the list)

We have heaps in but I love woolworths own pencils that comes in a box of 50 - they were really cheap a couple of years ago BUT very good I found so not sure if they still stock them.

#3 Smoo

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:12 PM

Choice did a comparison on price with Big W being the cheapest followed by Officeworks, Kmart then a big gap then Target. They didn't rate woolworths. It doesn't say anything about the quality of any of them.

We did get DS the triangular grippy pencils last year and he seemed to find them a lot easier to use.

#4 qak

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:16 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 01 February 2019 - 03:03 PM, said:

Are any brands of pencils that are better than others?

As per the PP, I got a box from woolies that have been great too (this is for "lead"/graphite pencils).

Avoid the pencils with names already on them, I've found the lead breaks inside them so you sharpen, the sharp bit falls out, sharpen again, it falls out and so on.

#5 Riotproof

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:18 PM

What do you mean by names already on them?

#6 Caribou

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:18 PM

BIG W worked for me. But Big W and Woolworths are side by side where I am, so I am fortunate I can duck between stores and compare prices.

Sometimes Woolies has a special on stuff that BIG W does not.

But overall, I just do big W because they stock more range.

#7 mayahlb

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:19 PM

Office national is the school supplier here and they are cheaper then other options for us.

Lead pencil wise I prefer the Faber-castell “school set” ones. They come in a pkt of 5 with a black eraser and small green sharpener and are gold and blue with black eraser tips on the pencils. We found they sharpen easily, the lead doesn’t break often, and the eraser tip actually does a really good job as needed. They are more exxy ($5 from target per pkt) but 5 of them is worth 10 of the other brands. The shape of the pencil (triangle) is better for gripping too.

My other fall back is the stedler brand. We have these at work and they are good quality.

Edited by mayahlb, 01 February 2019 - 03:20 PM.

#8 Caribou

View PostRiotproof, on 01 February 2019 - 03:18 PM, said:

What do you mean by names already on them?

I think she means the pencils where they have the white space to put names down on them by hand?

#9 qak

At least with Officeworks you can do the order online and just go and collect it already picked for you. I didn't have to get much this year but it just was easier to do it this way.

I've found with pretty much everything that name brands are better quality. I bought an unknown brand mouse from Big W that didn't work, so I had to make a trip back for that.

#10 qak

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:24 PM

View PostCaribou, on 01 February 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:

I think she means the pencils where they have the white space to put names down on them by hand?

No sorry, the ones with your child's name on them - usually from the $2 shops!

#11 mayahlb

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:25 PM

These are ones I’m talking about above https://www.officewo...-set-fa12111490

The kids request them now.

#12 seayork2002

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:27 PM

View Postqak, on 01 February 2019 - 03:24 PM, said:

No sorry, the ones with your child's name on them - usually from the $2 shops!

Ah I know these now, actually I used to go to $2 shops when DS was younger but although I thought the erasers and a few other things overall yes I found the quality not good.

High school may be different next year but so far the list has never been long enough for me to need to compare really so I just stick the brands/items I know DS's uses from from Woolworth's (mainly I forgot in my PP Coles sometimes but Woolies is better where i live)

#13 Octopodes

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:34 PM

I buy the more expensive stuff because DS is a careful kid so it lasts. Always triangle pencils to encourage proper pencil grip. The more expensive 'no smudge pens' because he's a lefty. His connector pen textas are onto their third year, as are his scissors. The only thing I scrimp on is rulers because he tends to break at least one a year.

Most of it I get at Big W, but the lefty scissors are from Officeworks. Oh, and I bought a bunch of glue sticks from Aldi when DS was in FYOS, they haven't run out or dried out so he is still using those 6 years later.

#14 born.a.girl

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:56 PM

I've found most cheaper stationery to be false economy.

We indulged our daughter with a large, rather pricey set of coloured pencils when she first started showing artistic talent at about eight.  She's still got them at 27, and we can replace the tiny ones.

Obviously that doesn't apply to everything, but a lot of stationery things, it does.

#15 Riotproof

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:01 PM

Ds brought home a whiteboard, a few pencils which I think dd has now, no erasers, and that’s it. The only thing I might have already is a ruler.

#16 Jenflea

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:03 PM

Stupid school asks we use Office Max but some use OfficeWorks and the savings were astronomical, like $30 cheaper, so next year it'll be OfficeWorks for sure!

I have no desire to stand in the shop and count out pencils and books, I like to hand the list over and have it boxed and ready to go.

#17 EmmDasher

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:06 PM

Our school has a contracted supplier that you can buy through. The prices seemed pretty reasonable to be honest and it required pretty much zero effort from me. I’m sure I could have got house brand items for cheaper but I wouldn’t have done that anyway for the most part because I think cheap stationery can be hit or miss for quality/longevity.

There were a couple of items I left off thinking I’d get them cheaper elsewhere and I did but only a marginal saving. Next time I’ll just get the lot I think.

#18 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:07 PM

In regards to rulers, I had them snapping in my bag at high school where you lug your stuff from class to class. Invested in a steel one. No more breaking rulers. Still have it 25 years later.

#19 Ellie bean

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:22 PM

I order the school packs through the school supplier, it gets delivered to our house, it’s famt incredibly convenient
We dont get anything unused back at the end of the year- I’m very happy for the school to keep it (but I know I’m lucky that we aren’t financially stretched)

#20 Octopodes

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:29 PM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 01 February 2019 - 04:07 PM, said:

In regards to rulers, I had them snapping in my bag at high school where you lug your stuff from class to class. Invested in a steel one. No more breaking rulers. Still have it 25 years later.
Will do this for high school next year. The primary school specifically says wooden or plastic only, no steel or bendy rulers allowed.

#21 PrincessPeach

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:30 PM

Our school also use office national & they are pretty comparable in price to big w.

#22 seayork2002

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:31 PM

View PostOctopodes, on 01 February 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

Will do this for high school next year. The primary school specifically says wooden or plastic only, no steel or bendy rulers allowed.

Same

#23 Sweet.Pea

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:35 PM

View PostOctopodes, on 01 February 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

They can be used as weapons?

#24 Riotproof

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:36 PM

View PostSweet.Pea, on 01 February 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

They can be used as weapons?

I would say so. Our school doesn’t allow kids to have umbrellas either.

#25 Phascogale

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:50 PM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 01 February 2019 - 04:07 PM, said:

My kids school specifies no metal rulers.  Even the small pencil case sized ones.  Think they are confiscated if they are found!  And I've seen it at more than one school.  The metal work and wood work rooms have their own sets! But they were my favorite when I was at school.

I just did Officeworks this year.  I didn't have a lot to buy and I think I spent about $50 across 3 kids with a few 'special' items the kids wanted (like multiple zipper binders and multiple binders when just the notebooks would do).

Big W used to be my favorite but it's a lot further away and I couldn't be bothered this year at all.  But the quality of the Officeworks stuff is better and the kids use it and enjoy it more (not their most basic brand but the one in the middle sort of thing).  It's a false economy to pay 70c for a binder book when the kids won't write in them because the pages tear and the cover is bent easily or their ink pens bleed through the pages when if I buy the $1.20 ones they use them the whole semester and they like them.  I only need like 5 or 6 each.  And often the prices are similar enough for me that when I take the cost of petrol into account (to go to Big W) that there's really not that much in it at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.