Worried about my 12yo DD *UPDATED - diabetes diagnosis*

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 zande

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:07 PM

My DD2 seems to have become a shadow of her former self over the holidays. She finished up primary school at the end of last year & I know that was a bit tough - she is going to a different school to all the kids she had known since kindy, including her bestie. She didn’t see many of her friends over the hols (she really only had 2 main ones) but we did do lots of things and have just returned from a week away camping with her cousins.

DD usually loves our camping trips but she was so quiet. Normally DD is a jumping bean - I usually have to plead with her to sit down rather than watching TV in a handstand!!! She has never been a great eater - now she’s not as hungry. She has started drinking a lot of water - very unusual for her - and going to the toilet constantly. Her skin is breaking out and she keeps picking at it - habit, anxiety perhaps?

Then there’s the constant battles with her 15yo sister! DD2 has always been competitive with DD1 but now it’s ridiculous - she is so jealous. She also feels very much in her shadow and is is starting to get resentful - DD1 is quite social and ran the show a bit at the caravan park.

DD2 is not much of a talker - but she did say the other day that she is worried about high school - making friends but also worried that she’ll get Fs - DD2 is very bright & never had an F in her life, but DD1 is s straight A student and DD2 is competitive.  DD2 feels DD1 gets more attention than her, and she hates that DD1 won a school award last year, but DD1 does NOT get the attention (and DD2 also got an award last year too and was made a fuss of!)

My DD2 used to be such a happy girl and I’m worried she’s not anymore.

I’m thinking medically perhaps iron issues, or at worst diabetes, or psychological input may be needed, or it’s just puberty and growing up issues, finding her way? I have to remember she’s growing up and isn’t my little girl anymore.

Edited by zande, 10 February 2019 - 11:16 PM.

#2 Manicmum

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:33 PM

Firstly, I would take her to the gp for bloods.

Secondly, I would let it lie for a few weeks and she how high school plays out.

Lastly, get her something for her skin, an perhaps get the go to have a squiz... it won’t help her confidence entering a new environment.

Edited by Manicmum, 30 January 2019 - 10:18 PM.

#3 just roses

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:44 PM

I’d definitely take her to the GP. Also get a referral to a good child psychologist. She might just need to talk through how she’s feeling. My son just started year 7 at a brand new school without his old friends. He’s doing well so far, but we’ve been talking a lot lately about how puberty is making his head feel ‘all crazy’. It’s a rough time.

#4 Whattothink

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:52 PM

Not suggesting this is the problem at all for your DD. I had some bloods the other day, was quite low in zinc. Looked up zinc deficiency - omg! So many things - had no idea!!!

I was so surprised that one little deficiency could cause so many problems!

Definitely worthwhile having bloods taken.

All the best ☺️

#5 #mocha

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:11 AM

Definitely a GP, think you need to rule out diabetes ASAP.

It’s pretty common time start to get anxiety or depression around the time of puberty.

Hope her first day at high school goes well.

#6 Riotproof

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:18 AM

Is she eating? I’d be worried about a potential eating disorder. Drinking water might be her way of filling up so she’s not hungry.

#7 MarciaB

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:30 AM

First stop GP ask for bloods and advice on her skin.  Even if your dd says her acne isn't bothering her - it soon will be.

Then see how high school settles.  For us, it was like FYOS all over again including the tiredness, mood swings, forgetfulness.

I remember being astounded when DD1 started high school she lost her bus pass, school jumper, school handbook and about 3 drink bottles in the first 2 weeks.  This is a kid who has never so much lost the lid off a Tupperware container since she was 6.

They have a lot going on.

Also - if you haven't already - start enforcing no phone in bedroom overnight.  It will interfere with sleep at best and could also lead to other issues.  Start as you mean to go on from day 1 of high school - it gets harder to make changes later.

#8 Sweet.Pea

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:35 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 31 January 2019 - 07:18 AM, said:

Is she eating? I’d be worried about a potential eating disorder. Drinking water might be her way of filling up so she’s not hungry.

I was thinking the same.

Spending a lot of time in the toilet is a red flag....even if you drink a lot of water, after a few weeks the need to go often reduces as your body adjusts.

#9 Drat

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:50 PM

Might be worthwhile letting her year advisor know at school that she might be a bit anxious, at least they can keep an eye on her and monitor her. They might also be able to pair her up with other students that might help her?
I know we have a big list of year 7s this year that have anxiety about starting school and the teachers are making a big effort to keep an eye on them and encourage friendships.

#10 zande

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:30 PM

Thank you all for your helpful advice. DD2 asked to see a psych so we’ve done that today (first session). I’m giving the water drinking one more week then will see the GP - I’m definitely concerned about diabetes but not sure there isn’t a psych/anxiety component - will be monitoring closely. Think it’s going to be a long first week next week!!!!

#11 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:37 PM

Just going to say get on top of any acne. My mum refused to do anything for my siblings and I and It was horrid. DS1 on the other had had such horrid cystic acne starting at 12yrs that we saw a Dermatologist and put on Roaccutane. 12m later his skin is beautifully clear. A good confidence booster especially for a child who will be super short (expect final height under 165cm - short for a male).

Hearing about the water my first though as eating disorder potential too.

Goodluck.

#12 aluminium

Posted 01 February 2019 - 02:11 PM

View Postzande, on 01 February 2019 - 01:30 PM, said:

Thank you all for your helpful advice. DD2 asked to see a psych so we’ve done that today (first session). I’m giving the water drinking one more week then will see the GP - I’m definitely concerned about diabetes but not sure there isn’t a psych/anxiety component - will be monitoring closely. Think it’s going to be a long first week next week!!!!

Please don't wait to check for diabetes. When I was twelve, my friend was hospitalised with diabetes (in a coma) as she had yet to be diagnosed. She was drinking loads of water and as we were starting high school, her Mum assumed anxiety.

#13 mayahlb

Posted 01 February 2019 - 02:17 PM

Don’t wait regarding the possibility of diabetes. It’s not something that you should wait to test for if it’s come on suddenly.

I’d be seeing the GP for bloods and for help with her skin and then see how school goes. While at the GP I’d also get a mental health plan done so you can access the subsidied psych sessions. It sounds as if something is going on. Even if it’s as simple as anxiety, getting her to see psych to talk about how she is feeling and give her some strategies to help her when she’s feeling low would be beneficial.

#14 steppy

Posted 01 February 2019 - 02:25 PM

Oh I missed that water and toilet thing - yes I'd have her checked for diabetes pronto. The fatigue fits with that possibility too.

#15 Jamelex

Posted 01 February 2019 - 02:39 PM

Any good doctor and psych will want to make sure physical issues are checked/eliminated first. Please see your GP, it's not unreasonable to ask for baseline bloods (another recommendation here to check for diabetes), and also for a mental health plan. Good luck.

#16 SplashingRainbows

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:38 PM

Drinking more water and needing to urinate more frequently are symptoms of diabetes. They really do need to be investigated ASAP. I have a family member with type 1 diabetes and know how quickly things can change.  If it were my child we’d be at emergency tonight.

#17 Mollyksy

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:50 PM

Not to discourage a diabetes check, but my DS who started FYOS today has been anxiety peeing. Dr checked him out and concluded it was anxiety. Your poor DD. Hope the psych helps and she settles in and finds her place soon.

#18 just roses

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:56 PM

Diabetes is super quick and easy to test for. I'd get to a day/night medical centre ASAP. Just a quick finger prick.

#19 zande

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:20 PM

We’ve had a session with a psychologist and she had a great first week at high school, thought we were on the right track, but she had a funny turn today after a sugary drink, such that I took her to ED (and we’ve never been there before).  Long story short she’s been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and we’re now in the children’s hospital for the week while they stabilise her and we learn to manage the condition. Scared, sad, bummed, can’t quite believe it, but trying to stay positive. All the medical staff were very impressed with my intuition and said that we’d actually got her in before it could’ve all been much worse!

#20 little lion

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:30 PM

Gosh what a shock. You have been very on the ball getting her the care she needs. Best of luck — I imagine your new normal will be a few weeks away yet.

#21 Riotproof

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:59 PM

Oh Zande, love to you.

#22 Sancti-claws

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:17 AM

Oh Zande - wow, what a sudden shock but thank goodness right place and time to be able to deal with it.

#23 *cough*

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:02 AM

Good job on getting her into the ED and following your gut. Good luck for this week and trying to wrap your head around it all xx

#24 deedee15

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:15 AM

Wow, your daughter is very lucky! But surely the psych would have suggested  the blood test too, after hearing what bought your daughter to see them, a rather less traumatic way to discover you have diabetes. Hi

#25 BECZ

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:23 AM

Thinking of you and your DD Zande.  

You're a great mum!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.