What are your new baby must haves?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 kerilyntaryn

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:25 PM

waterproof matress protectors x 3 -4, and 3-4 sets of bottom sheets

#27 Jamelex

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:25 PM

Definitely a pack of terry towel cloth nappies. Great for spit ups etc as a baby (we kept one upstairs, downstairs, under baby heads when they're asleep, one in the nappy bag etc etc). Then when they're toilet training, perfect size to clean up wee accidents.
Every new parent needs them!

#28 QuirkyMum

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:27 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 29 January 2019 - 03:31 PM, said:

Wraps- I found the love to dream swaddles awesome and normal wraps useless

Normal wraps can be used as bassinet/cot/pram sheet, towel, blanket, mat for changing, mat for tummy time, later on something to wrap your baby after the pool or just wipe vomit from the floor when you ran out of paper towels...
But yeah, don't buy too many. Two flannelette and two muslin ( to hide baby in pram from old ladies and flies/mozzie) and you are all set.

#29 ~J_WTF~

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:32 PM

Definitely a pram and a carseat. I was out walking with all of mine from day 5. We went out most days.

I hated being stuck at home, so we went out every day even if just to go for a drive in the car!

Our bouncer and playmat got lots of use.

Spew cloths are a must. We used terry towelling nappies.

Wipes, lots of wipes.

#30 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:49 PM

A car seat.

A pram- although I’d skip the massive ones and for a good folding stroller.

A really good baby carrier. One that is good for newborns and older babies or a subscription to a sling library. My eldest lived in his ergo with a new born insert and was happy on my back as an older baby. He was a march baby so it wasn’t too hot. We used a ring sling for my second as a newborn as it was quick to put on and a lighter ergo as an older baby.

#31 froglett

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:55 PM

Oh I forgot the bepanthen! Some kids get such sore red bottoms and bepanthen was the only thing to clear my kids up!

#32 EmmDasher

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:50 PM

It is so individual. One person’s essential is another person’s wasted item.

Don’t buy wraps or blankets. I had them coming out of my ears. I used any that were smaller than 1.2 x 1.2 as change pad covers/ spill rags.

Don’t buy tonnes of one brand clothing. Sizes & cuts are different and suit different babies. Eg. I hated bonds zippies and much preferred Cotton On.

If you have a girl - throw away any outfits you’re given with chunky detail on the back in 0-6m size. It is uncomfortable lying on a big bow. Try and avoid skirts in the crawling/learning to walk phase - they just trip.

We had a reflux chucker so priorities were things that were washable. We also had a small house so I was into things that pulled apart or collapsed flat. I loved the ikea baby gym. I could pop it on any quilt/blanket/mat and if it fit vomited on we simply got a new quilt and kept using it. We had 10 big terry cloth bibs too and found that plenty.  

My essentials which are mostly just things I really loved that made my life easier:
- ikea baby gym
- ikea high chair
- video monitor (sound no necessary and take or leave breathing sensors).
- waterproof mattress protector
- zip up swaddles/sleeping bags
- Spectra pump
- 0-4 car seat
- car mirror so baby doesn’t lose their shizzle
- baby Bjorn collapsible bouncer
- Tula carrier
- baby jogger GT mini pram - I liked its versatility and used it heaps
- Panadol, nurofen, humidifier, baby vicks
- bodysuits/onesies 10-14 (I like to wash once a week)
- bumpa mat
- block out blinds
- non spill drink bottle and coffee cup (insulated) for you!
- Mecca in a good light bb cream - sunscreen, moisturizer and foundation in one and my holy grail when I felt like death and needed to look awake!
- gorgeous nappy bag that you love. I have a mimco one and also a JujuBe backpack. Love and use both.

Edited by EmmDasher, 29 January 2019 - 07:58 PM.

#33 kerilyntaryn

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:53 PM

Dont buy too many 0000 - my boys went straight to 000 and within 2 weeks 00 - long and lanky

#34 tayto...

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:36 PM

On the onesies - my advice is to go for legless short and long sleeves and then put pants over. They get more wear from them as they grow, it’s less washing if they puke on just the top and I would often take the pants off for wrapping/sleep.

#35 JoanJett

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:44 PM

I had my first baby overseas, and we knew we were returning home at 9-10 weeks, so it helped distil things to the essence of "necessary".  For us, it was:
1. Onesies and additional layers for weather.  Depending on where you live, some outer wear might be necessary in May/June.
2. Somewhere to sleep, linen and protectors - our boy slept in his pram bassinet (with a sleeping grade mattress) for the first 3 months of his life.  He survived and it was very convenient to move him from room to room.
3. A baby bath - a fractured coccyx and a lack of a laundry sink meant that bending to a "big" bath was never going to happen - if you have other options, use them.  
4. Wraps - my kids both hated being swaddled, but the wraps were used for countless other things.  
5. Some sort of burping cloth - whatever you choose for over the shoulder for drool/vomit.  We didn't use bibs til they were on solids.
6. A pram, or maybe two.  The type depends on your lifestyle - if you are mainly walking and using public transport which accommodates "roll on", go for the best you can afford with  the combinations of interchangeable car seat/bassinette/reversible seat.  I was out with both of mine from the second day post birth. Walking is so much easier than the falafel of driving.  If your lifestyle is more car-oriented, then the collapsible types are more appropriate.  If you can afford it and your lifestyle embraces both, then look at both pram types.
7. A baby carrier.  Newborns are koalas.  You can get more done at home and they will rest.  Also useful sometimes when you're out and about.
8. Nappies - whatever type you've decided, wipes, wipes and cream for rashes.

If you have family/friends, you will receive MANY things, so,
there are so many things that (in my opinion) are on the wait and see list.  Unless you're opting to formula feed, you don't need bottles in a hurry.  They're readily available and can easily be purchased if it looks like you need them before leaving hospital.  Ditto breast pumps.  Bouncers/swings are great, but your baby needs a little head control, so they can wait.  High chairs won't be needed for months.  You can do tummy time anywhere, so play mats can also wait, but you will use them eventually -  better yet, ask close family/friends to buy those sorts of things instead of clothes.  I didn't use a baby monitor for either child - maybe I'm negligent, maybe they were loud, but I certainly could hear them anytime they cried.

Having had both my children without any support close by, the essentials for us were keeping the $$ saved on baby items to use for takeaway or ready made meals, and babysitting down the track.  Being able to opt out of cooking/cleaning or even having the convenience of groceries delivered made a big difference to life as a new mum.  

Good luck - at the end of the day, babies don't need much, other than love, cuddles, food (in whatever form works) and people that care for them.

#36 cabbage88

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:55 PM

I would, in hindsight, greatly prefer to have much less than I need and get what I need as I need it. There's nothing more frustrating than spending my money on crap I didn't need because I was convinced I would because it was someone else's "must have".
So seriously... I know that feeling of going in to first baby makes you so need to stock up and cover all bases. But it won't really make the transition that much easier, and you really don't know what you and they will need outside of true necessities (somewhere to sleep, something to put on their bum, clothes too put them in...). The clutter builds quickly with kids I'm much more of a minimalist these days. And it's EASY to pick stuff up new or second hand.

Edited by cabbage88, 29 January 2019 - 08:56 PM.

#37 I'mBeachedAs

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:13 PM

Bins were pretty essential for my pair 😂. They were both epic spewkers. My eldest went through 10 bibs one day and I had a pretty high bar for needing to change bibs and clothing. You won't know this until they're born though so don't go overboard. If I were to have another one I'd make sure I had about 20-30. Some of my friends had babies that never spewed so 20 bibs would be wasted on them.

#38 PrincessPeach

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:39 PM

Beside the basics,

Old school terry flat nappies - not to use as nappies, but you put them under their head in the bassinet/cot, burp cloths, nappy free time mat, etc, etc. they wash easy, to in the dryer & are virtually indestructible.

#39 Pip_longstockings

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:44 PM

View PostBethlehem Babe, on 29 January 2019 - 06:49 PM, said:

A car seat.

A pram- although I’d skip the massive ones and for a good folding stroller.

A really good baby carrier. One that is good for newborns and older babies or a subscription to a sling library. My eldest lived in his ergo with a new born insert and was happy on my back as an older baby. He was a march baby so it wasn’t too hot. We used a ring sling for my second as a newborn as it was quick to put on and a lighter ergo as an older baby.

I bought a baby carrier but never used it. I loved my massive mountain buggy, which I used all day, every day until my kids were 3/4. I literally walked for hours and they slept for hours. If you can wait till bub is born as you have an idea of the sort of child and family you will be but often it will change.

I also loved my Love to Dream wraps, sheep skin rug, IKEA high chair, but I never had 'toys' for my babies, they seemed to love just looking at trees and playing with the rug.

#40 Mollycoddle

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:49 PM

View PostDaffy2016, on 29 January 2019 - 03:14 PM, said:

Buy half a dozen weather appropriate onesies. Then buy more once baby is here if you need them.

Buy two packs of the old fashioned terry nappies for burping and other gross stuff (you can get them at big w).

Buy a packet of baby rag/flannel things from big w.

Packet of nappies.

Some bottles (no need for expensive ones but eat the 250ml, not the 150ml) in case you need to express/ use formula.

Two or three wraps - the jersey cotton ones are good as they stretch.

This. And keep a few of each item (except the bottles) in a plastic tub close at hand, with some baby wipes thrown in.

Always go second hand or borrow if you can. I borrowed a bassinet for DS1 and returned it after.  He had slept in it well so I decided to go ahead and buy one for DS2. Nope, just wasn't happening with this one, lucky I'd only laid out $50 second hand.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 29 January 2019 - 09:50 PM.

#41 casime

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:40 PM

If I were to have another baby, before the child was born I'd buy a cot, mattress and sheets, plus two boxes of newborn nappies, four boxes of baby wipes, two swaddling blankets and ten onsies.  That would be it.

Everything else can be bought when and as you need it.  Unless you live in a regional area, the shops are only a short trip away if you need something,  

I bought a whole bunch of bottles *just in case* and my son completely refused them.  Dummies that I bought were spat out and a total waste of money.

I know it seems great to be organised and have *everything* ready when your baby comes home, but in reality, they need very little, and you're better off saving your money and going to buy things as you actually need them, not because you think you might need them.  

I bought a ridiculously expensive pram for my DS.  Turns out he liked the $50 one that was given to us by a friend.  Total waste of the $500 pram that was a total pain to use anyway.

Don't buy much, and go and get what you need, when you need it,  Babies just want love, cuddles and food.  They are pretty simple really, and don't need much.

#42 Ozquoll

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:46 AM

I had an unusually mess-averse baby - he didn’t need bibs at all! Babies are weird 🤷‍♀️
We got a lot of use out of a Valco baby bouncer, the little pop-up shade cover was great even inside the house, to stop the light blasting into bubs’ eyes.
If I had my time over again, I’d test the prams more thoroughly before buying - the first one we got was always a PITA to fold so we only put it in the car about once a year.

#43 AliasMater

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:02 AM

I have a 3 month old. There is a 7 year age gap between kids and I got rid of everything after #3.

I bought very little before the birth - a car seat, a massive bag of like new outfits from a FB group for $15, and some bedding. Everything else including a pram, bouncer etc I have bought along the way.

The car seat so far is the only thing I have bought new and I am trying to keep it that way. Most of the stuff I have bought is 'like new' though, and I will sell it when I am done for what I paid. I have even bought nappies off FB. You would be surprised how often they come up. People stock up but babies outgrow them really quickly. I have bought all Huggies sealed boxes for a fraction what you pay in the shops. I can afford new everything as we have a healthy disposable income, but I am getting a real kick out of reusing, recycling, minimalising, and saving!

#44 spr_maiden

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:33 AM

Just another saying you really do need waaayyyy less than you think, or told by magazines/lists midwives give you/ etc.

Essentials to start are
car seat

little nappies (huggies nb are great, but only one box as they will grow out of them quickly usually)

few muslin cloths

maybe 5-10 baby suits that are EASY  to put on in the dark when you're exhausted ( I put mine in little bonds pants and soft envelope neck tops for bed at night, or top and nappy depending on weather)

somewhere to sleep

carrier or pram

Meals in the freezer or look into hello fresh delivery, something like that.

Will add more in a sec...

#45 spr_maiden

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:02 AM

actually, besides the comfy place to feed and a really soft night light, that's it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.