What are your new baby must haves?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 PsySquirrel

Posted 29 January 2019 - 02:55 PM

I am due mid-late May this year with my first and wanted some advice on what we actually need to bring baby home and start making my mental list into a real list. People so far have said things like 'you'll need more bibs than you think?' And I am like I dont even have a bib-ballpark figure. Do I need 10? 30? I have no idea. I'd rather have too much of somethingg than too little.

Kinda breaking it all down into the following categories-

Clothing baby
Feeding baby
Bathing baby
Transporting baby
Sleep-time
Feeding mum and dad

Have I forgotten a category? Probably. Definitely. Probably. Please help! And tell me what I need.

So many lists on online are sponsored by brands and products and I am not really sure if they are for real or not.

#2 born.a.girl

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:13 PM

I think it's a common concern - I remember being paranoid that I'd forgotten something quite significant and would look a fool.

Then I read some early Australian literature where the baby came home to sleep in a drawer, in some clothing that had been cobbled together from donations.  Rather put it in perspective for me that if I had the wrong number of singlets it wasn't the end of the earth.

Some of the things you might worry about, like bibs, are available at the same place you buy milk, and you're more likely to need them once they're upright and dribbling every waking moment.

If you intend breast feeding, one thing I'd encourage you to think about is finding a comfortable spot to sit - not all furniture - especially the modular stuff around now - is conducive to supporting your back, and your arms if you're there for any length of time.   We supplemented for a while,  and I found that easier on my back as I could sit on my leg, wriggle around a bit more, plus wasn't always the one doing it!

In regard to parent food - stuff you can eat with a splayd!

#3 Daffy2016

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:14 PM

People told me not to buy much. I didn’t listen and bought so many essentials... that were not, as it turned out, essential.

Buy half a dozen weather appropriate onesies. Then buy more once baby is here if you need them.

Buy two packs of the old fashioned terry nappies for burping and other gross stuff (you can get them at big w).

Buy a packet of baby rag/flannel things from big w.

Packet of nappies.

Some bottles (no need for expensive ones but eat the 250ml, not the 150ml) in case you need to express/ use formula.

Two or three wraps - the jersey cotton ones are good as they stretch.

Bath the baby in the sink or bath - don’t buy a special one.

Then buy other things once the baby is here and you know what they’re like! DD outgrew clothes like a demon and lots of pretty ‘outfits’ went to waste. We also didn’t need to bath her that often when she was really little.

As she got a little older we found a bouncer really useful, plus a portable mobile. Also a sheepskin rug that she napped on (on the floor next to the couch) got a lot of use.

But you can always buy more - but you can’t buy less!

Edited by Daffy2016, 29 January 2019 - 03:15 PM.

#4 seayork2002

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:21 PM

As little as possible

What we used was

moses basket (here bassinet?) then cot
car seat/pram all in one thingy
baby bath and stand
I FF so bottles/teats/sterliser/formula
nappies, baby wipes, face cloths, cotton buds/'makeup' dry round wipe things
bottom sheet plus sleeping bag
maybe some bibs/muslin cloths
Oh and DS lived in the onesies (bonds type all in one suits with the press clips)

What we bought but did not use was baby monitor/baby carrier thing, baby toiletries and I never needed maternity clothes (and thanks to another post who reminded me) we spent as fortune on some posh wrap thing - he screamed when we tried so that was that - I think we spent more in total on the stuff we didn't use than the stuff we did

Feeding mum and dad was exactly the same as before DS was born

Edited by seayork2002, 29 January 2019 - 03:34 PM.

#5 RichardParker

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:24 PM

Yes, a good feeding chair with a stool to put your feet on so your back doesn’t get wrecked.

Everything else, you can get on the fly.

#6 Mrs_greyhound

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:25 PM

Definitely don’t buy too many nappies!!! Babies grow out of newborn nappies quickly, especially Huggies. One thing that really surprised me was that different nappy brands are really, well, different to each other. For instance, baby love are bigger than huggies and ALDI is somewhere in the middle. My niece didn’t fit newborn huggies ever, she was leaking through them in hospital! So just get a box of huggies and maybe a pack from Aldi and go from there. I have used various brands depending on what was on sale and what was the best fit at the time.

#7 Mrs_greyhound

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:28 PM

I would also add, research what brands and models of items you might want now, so you have an idea of what to get if you need them. Eg try out the various baby carriers and decide what you like best. You can always go out and buy it later when you need it, without feeling rushed to make a rash decision when you’re sleep deprived and muddled.

#8 QuirkyMum

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:31 PM

Bibs for newborns?
I used 0 with both of mine. If baby is a chucker, you will need dozens ( but I think then you have a bigger problem needing dozens of change of clothes for yourself). Do you need to buy extra clothes for yourself and extra bibs before baby comes? Nope.
Bibs for when baby starts solids? Dozens of fabric ones. Or just 1 good silicone catch-it-all one.
All you really need is a cot, pram, car seat, nappies, good maternity bras, a blanket, a couple of Muslin and couple of flannelette wraps and a couple of changes of clothes.
Sleeping bags, bassinet for early days, nursing clothes, sling/wrap/ergo would be good to have.

#9 Ellie bean

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:31 PM

Some things I didn’t use or barely used:
Breast pump
Pram (my first hated the pram- I know that’s unusual though)
Bassinet
Wraps- I found the love to dream swaddles awesome and normal wraps useless
So many clothes that we’d been given
Overpriced bf pillow

I’d buy as little as possible and get it as you go along as all babies are so different

#10 Silverstreak

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:32 PM

Re bibs, I had about ten bibs, which were fine. I also had a few suits in 0000 and a few in 000. Babies go up a size every few months in the early days, so I didn't buy heaps.

I had a winter baby, so bought a couple of cute wool knit cardigans and some little socks to go over the onesies.

Stretchy wraps are good and you can get muslin ones for warm weather.

Re cot, you just want a fitted sheet for the cot, then, if necessary, a thin blanket that goes over the waist of the baby and tucks in either side of the mattress, if you know what I mean?

A baby  monitor is good too. We actually held onto ours for years and used it when I was in the house, DH was in the garage and I needed his help lol.

A few soft microfibre or cotton blankets for the pram (muslin wraps were good too, as shade on a hot day

Face washers are very handy, I bought in navy, so they didn't stain as easily

Nappy bag with a change mat is great for going out and about and you can hang it off the back of the pram, depending on the style

Baby bath is handy, although I started off bathing DS in the bathroom sink, then the kitchen sink (washing it out carefully before and after)

Change table with change mat, nappies and wipes stored underneath and a nappy bin next to it is very handy. You can change on the bed, but it was easiest on my back if I had the change table. I also had the change table in the corner, to be a bit safer

Transporting baby: I never had a capsule car seat thingie that could be carried from the car, but they seemed handy! I carried DS in a sling / carrier from 3 to eight months, after that he got too heavy. Otherwise, it was arms or a pram and he started walking just before he turned one. And an approved car seat that's been properly fitted (from memory, a baby shop fitted ours.)

Bottles, bottle steriliser and a breast pump if you decide to express

Baby nail clippers are really handy, plus a baby thermometer

A recliner for feeding is nice, but we just used the couch

A baby recliner is a good thing! DS was one of those babies who was very alert and liked being vertical at all times. So when I couldn't carry him I would pop him in his recliner and he could watch what was going on. I would move it around the house if I were cooking, take it outside etc

Soft blankets to put on the grass, so baby can lie down and look at the birdies and clouds etc

Parent food: anything that can be reheated in the microwave and eaten one handed. I craved carbs when breastfeeding, so lasagne was really good for this.

#11 Silverstreak

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:36 PM

Oh yeah, those cute little mats with the arches that have mobiles hanging off them and play music, they were a life saver. DS loved his and would have a ball playing with all the mobile thingies whilst I snuck in a cup of coffee.

Baby sleeping bags were great, too, DS was in them by five months, as he was a houdini who would get out of his swaddle!

In terms of baby wash, I always liked Mustela and DS used it for years

Maybe a suction cup window screen for the car for the backseat, if the days are hot?

#12 Ellie bean

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:38 PM

View PostSilverstreak, on 29 January 2019 - 03:36 PM, said:

Oh yeah, those cute little mats with the arches that have mobiles hanging off them and play music, they were a life saver. DS loved his and would have a ball playing with all the mobile thingies whilst I snuck in a cup of coffee.

Ha ha that reminds me that’s another thing we didn’t end up using as I couldn’t lie my babies down flat. Bouncer got excessive use though!

#13 Ellie bean

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:39 PM

Oh and while this is a way off for you, when it comes to high chairs, don’t buy an expensive one that’s hard to clean, the ikea ones or similar are great

#14 afterlaughter

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:40 PM

Items that should be well researched are - Car Seat (capsule or a extended rear facing car seat. Pram - many of my friends bought one when they later realised either they preferred baby to be able to parent face or they wanted a lighter pram. Everything else go with your gut don’t get to much and buy as you discover a need.

#15 bluesilk

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:42 PM

Defo lots of towelling nappies to use as burp clothes, singlets, onesies - not too many NB nappies as they grow out of them quick, nappy bags (don't get one of those nappy bins - they're expensive to replace the cartridges).
I'd have bottles, sterilizer or microwave sterilizer bags and breast pump ready to go too because if you need to formula feed or express in the early days, you don't want to be running to the shops or waiting for an online order. If you don't end up using it you can sell it. I needed it straight away bec newborn baby stopped latching onto the nipple, but would take a bottle for a couple of weeks before he reverted back to bf again.

#16 Silverstreak

Sorry, I keep forgetting stuff, lol.

For your own comfort, sorry if a little TMI: if you're breastfeeding, get some breast pads (can't remember if they have a special name) to tuck into your bra, so you don't leak onto your clothes. They're also good to wear with a bra at night, again so that you don't leak on your clothes and bedlinen. And also lots of pads for yourself, as there will be lochia (like an extended period for five or so weeks) after giving birth.

#17 Apageintime

You really only need a car seat (if you drive), something for baby to wear and netflix.

we coslept so no cot required, I used a change table, but these certainly aren't essential.

Those first few weeks you'll be sitting on the couch A LOT feeding. great time to online shop anything you decide you need.

I brought way too much and regret it.

#18 Silverstreak

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:44 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 29 January 2019 - 03:39 PM, said:

Oh and while this is a way off for you, when it comes to high chairs, don’t buy an expensive one that’s hard to clean, the ikea ones or similar are great

Yes, yes, yes, we got given a second hand high chair that had food around the straps and I couldn't get it completely clean, again because of the straps. Threw it out and bought an ikea high chair. By the way, remember to turn the ikea high chair upside down or look underneath it when cleaning ha ha, I got caught out a couple of times.

And one more thing, buy a see-through waterproof cover for your pram, you might still want to go out and about when it's raining, I know I did. I'd just put on a raincoat, put the plastic cover over the pram and DS and I would be good to go.

EFS

Edited by Silverstreak, 29 January 2019 - 03:46 PM.

#19 seayork2002

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:45 PM

Yes 100% to the simple high chair but I did not add to my original list as we did not get that straight away

One thing I did that helped clean up is bought a few shower curtains that we put underneath then when it was dirty put it in the washing machine with the towels to wash it

Edited by seayork2002, 29 January 2019 - 03:46 PM.

#20 Ellie bean

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:45 PM

^^Omg yes netflix is the true essential- and I would add wireless headphones, so you can watch multiple seasons of sons of anarchy while feeding your baby (or maybe that was just me)!

#21 bikingbubs

Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

Boobs, car seat and a bassinet are the essentials to me :)

and Netflix.

#22 froglett

Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:15 PM

Here's a pretty concise list:

Box of newborn nappies
Wipes (just cheap Kmart flannels and water works, or Huggies wipes)
6 jumpsuits (long sleeve for winter / short or singlet for summer)
Somewhere to sleep - bassinet / cot
Wrap (bigger than 120cm square) - or the love to dream swaddle (much easier than wrap)
Cloth nappies / Cotton on bibs or old towels cut up for spew clean up

Some method of getting them around - pram / carrier / capsule/car seat

Dummy (handy to have on hand for the 3am "my boobs are on fire and I can't take anymore this kid needs to suck" moment of surrender)

Netflix, water bottle, comfy chair and rite aid hydrogel breast discs (kept in fridge) if you're breastfeeding

You might also want a bouncer - useful for putting them down when you're in the shower / doing washing / eating dinner etc.

Don't buy any toys (unless you want an heirloom) as you'll get approx 6 million.

#23 BBC

Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:17 PM

I never had one of those electric swing things but I would definitely get one if I was expecting now.

Napisan
A big nappy bucket with a lid. Even if you use disposables, heaps of clothing will need a soak.
I washed baby clothes in Lux soap flakes, but I know lots of people think that's not necessary.

Some sort of soap free baby bath stuff and some moisturiser. I liked having a baby bath, but not absolutely essential. A couple of soft new towels and some face washers.

Unscented wipes.
Nappy rash cream (Bepanthen suited me)

A couple of beanies for a winter baby. Also a cardigan that will go over a wondersuit. I also used singlets or body suits in winter.

A dummy. You may never use it, but if you decide you need it, you will be so pleased that you have one!

Human food - stuff you can pop in oven and warm up or simple food like steak and salad you can prepare, eat and clean up in not much time.

Edited by BBC, 29 January 2019 - 04:19 PM.

#24 PaperCats

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:49 PM

I hardly needed any bibs. I could have survived with less than 5. You can always buy more if you have a spewy baby.

Don’t buy too much as you may not need it. We stopped on the way home from the hospital to get a breast pump as my milk cane in with a vengeance but I was happy to do that than pay a few hundred dollars for something I may not have needed.

My must haves would be:
A pack of cloth nappies (multiple uses)
A box or two of newborn nappies and some wipes
A few onesies/singlets/bodysuits
Some baby nail clippers
A thermometer (we also bought this on the way home from the hospital)
Wraps or bunny rugs
Tub of sudocreme

#25 seayork2002

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:52 PM

Yes pp a bouncer!

I forgot that on my list, thanks to that i managed to shower

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.