Freaking out about seating - Princess Theatre

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Renovators delight

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:06 PM

OK, so its now just over a month until I am going to see Harry Potter at the Princess Theatre. Its a matinee (2 1/2 hour show) followed by the evening show (another 2 1/2 hours) in one day.

DP bought the tickets for my birthday, and I have been on a strict diet since then. I am not sure how much I have lost, but lets say I have gone from the side of a barn down to the side of a house.

I am still an enormously fat woman. Size 26. Heifer. DP has lost 30-35kg from the dieting, but I have prob been lucky to lose 15 and thats a drop in the ocean. While I am an average person height, he is tall-ish as well as being still a pretty big bloke.

We are sitting in the stalls and I am terrified that I won't fit, or that sitting through 5 hours of theatre will be impossible for us due to the amount of cramping up we will have to do to fit in the seats.

My greatest concern is inconveniencing other people.

We will be sitting in the middle of Row E in the stalls, so 7 rows from the front, and about 6 seats either side of us to the aisles.

What would you do in this situation? Anyone as fat as me been? What did you do? Could you have lasted through two plays in a row, basically?

#2 casime

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:25 PM

I find that the Princess Theatre seats are really uncomfortable and are quite old and small.  There's not a lot of leg room, so you might want to get in a bit early so you don't have to push past anyone.   The seats also aren't offset, so if you get a tall person in front of you, then you're screwed.  I'm not looking forward to 5+ hours sitting in those seats when I go.

#3 Nobodyelse

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:28 PM

Have you contacted the theatre about your concerns? I'm sure your not the first plus size theatre go-er. They might be able to advise you about your seats?

#4 BeStill

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:38 PM

I would contact them. They may have disability seating options which are often off to the side slightly but have extra room allowed for a wheelchair etc.

I find theatre seating can sometimes be snug and I’m a size 16-18.

#5 Renovators delight

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:43 PM

Thanks I have emailed them. I am not thinking very straight at the moment.

It is really difficult for me to gauge what progress I have been making to reduce my bulk as all my clothes are loose fitting styles and I refuse to know my weight (the PT has been tracking it for me) but I have a mirror and I am certain I am still as fat as they come.

I haven’t been to this theatre before, only the Arts centre. I wouldn’t have booked if it were up to me but DP was trying to give me a nice present.

Edited by Renovators delight, 23 January 2019 - 06:46 PM.

#6 Abernathy

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:45 PM

Definitely contact the theatre! I’m sure they’ll offer a solution. I hope you enjoy it - we have tickets too and I can’t wait!!

#7 BBC

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:53 PM

Off topic, but one way to track your progress is to mark a piece of non-stretchy string where it meets around your waist, and check every month or so to see if there is any overlap developing. Just as good as a firm pair of trousers, and not as uncomfortable

#8 Renovators delight

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:00 PM

BBC, on 23 January 2019 - 06:53 PM, said:

Off topic, but one way to track your progress is to mark a piece of non-stretchy string where it meets around your waist, and check every month or so to see if there is any overlap developing. Just as good as a firm pair of trousers, and not as uncomfortable������

Even that would probably do me in a bit much.

TMI here I am a massive nutcase and am not really coping at all with this entire process, especially not right now. The poor PT has to put posters on the mirrors and deal with me swapping sides while I exercise so I don’t catch sight of myself.

I tried some clothes on at home yesterday and was stupid enough to look in the mirror deliberately (I usually just check my face, and just catch glimpses as I walk past). It sparked me to not allow myself to eat lunch, have a panic attack and just avoid some more destructive behaviours.

#9 Silverstreak

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:16 PM

Just coming in to give you a big ESP hug and to say that 15 kilos is an incredible achievement, particularly when you have young kids.

I'm also very overweight and I'm very short too. We will get there in the end, it will just take time and the patience and kindness of ourselves and others.

I hope you get a good email response and that you have a wonderful time on the night xo

#10 BBC

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:19 PM

I'm sorry you are having such a tough time. You are working hard and are on the right path. You can't really ask more of yourself than that you stick to your plan today.
I hope you love Harry Potter. Is it a two part thing, or are you seeing the same show twice?

#11 Renovators delight

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:32 PM

Yes it’s two parts - 2pm and then 7.30pm on the same day. We will be staying in the city overnight too. I haven’t seen a show since Peppa Pig 3 years ago.... and can’t remember before that.

I am glad he did it in a way as it forced me to stop mucking around and start. I put myself on some helpful psych drugs about a month before but having a specific event in mind made me begin.

And thank you SS xx

For all my faults I’m rather stubborn which is a helpful trait in this situation.

#12 just roses

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:24 PM

No real advice, but just wanted to encourage you on a really great effort. I’m sorry you’ve had such a hard time, but the work and determination will pay off x

#13 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:28 PM

No useful advice from me either, but if you like podcasts, check out Fitbet. It started as two guys (both Australian comedians) who were both about 125kg each. They had a bet, first to get under 100kgs got $1000 from the other person. And then they started recording a podcast. It's been going about a year. They interview other people on the same journey, talk about their own struggles, especially the mental side. Really interesting :)

#14 Lalala4

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:53 PM

Box office staff tend to be lovely and they will probably be quietly grateful you raised a potential accessibility issue early rather than on the day. As with PP, if no one has booked the more accessible seats these may be a good option; or, perhaps an aisle seat (you can take turns who gets the aisle).

You sound like a considerate and thoughtful person. Best wishes for your healthy progress!

#15 limakilo

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:56 PM

I would have emailed the theatre too.
I want to say, well done for making an effort, seeing a PT and exercising! It's amazing to just do one of those things, but you are actually doing something for your health! Weight loss or not, you are adding fitness to your day, and you should be very proud of yourself.
Tell yourself "I am doing this because I love myself and my body and mind, and want to feel good". Don't beat yourself up (I know it's easier said than done), have some positive sentences to say to yourself and get that mantra going.

#16 cardamom

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:09 PM

Oh OP, I feel for you :heart: That sense of utter panic is all too familiar.

Congratulations on your weight loss - 15kg is nothing to sneeze at, I'm sure that will make a big difference to your comfort.

I hope the theatre can offer a solution, but if it helps to provide some reassurance in the meantime - I saw Matilda at the Princess a few years ago, I was a size 22 or so at the time (and very pear-shaped, so probably closer to a 24 around the bum/thighs). It was definitely snug and far from the most comfortable of seats, but I was able to fit.

For me the worst bit is always the anxiety of having to squeeze past someone; if it would help you feel better you could aim to get there extra-early so you can find your seat without having to stress about someone moving for you?

Enjoy the show, and please try not to worry about inconveniencing others. Remember, big or small, we all have the right to take up space in the world xx

#17 Renovators delight

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:21 PM

Small update - I will still need to follow up with the theatre.

I had a good chat to my PT last week, and she thinks I will be fine, but I am still concerned!

I ended up emailing the theatre, and they have told me that fat people seating (they call it bariatric!) is available, but i will need to ring them to discuss.

I might end up going into town with DS3 once school starts if they will let me go in and check it out.

Am also worried about DP who is about 192cm and has proportionately very long legs, and many of the reviews I have read say that taller people have trouble with the seating too. And we will be in the seats for 5 hours...

First world problems, I know.

I ended up having a massive 5 day meltdown last week, and I think this was one of the factors, but I have managed to stick to everything pretty much, and am trying to put everything in perspective.

#18 Overtherainbow

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:32 PM

I just wanted to congratulate you on your current weight loss. It’s so much easier to gain than lose. I’m on the same journey and loving Dr Axe’s website as I’m determined to not only lose weight, but regain my health.

Please don’t beat yourself up. Our weight is only one part of who we are. We are more than a number on a scale.

No idea about the theatre, but whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy it.

#19 Ozquoll

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:37 PM

View PostRenovators delight, on 28 January 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

Am also worried about DP who is about 192cm and has proportionately very long legs, and many of the reviews I have read say that taller people have trouble with the seating too. And we will be in the seats for 5 hours...

First world problems, I know.

I find theatre seating excruciatingly uncomfortable, and I’m twelve centimetres shorter than your husband! I would also look at taking low dose aspirin as a precaution since you will be sitting in one place for so long.

#20 VVV

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:44 PM

Oh honey. So much of what you’ve talked about, I can absolutely relate to. Especially the face check only in the mirror (I seriously thought I was the only one to do this.) please don’t call yourself a heifer, it’s a self put down and will only make you feel worse about yourself. You are making changes which are amazing (especially the PT!)

#21 JediMaster

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:56 PM

I couldn’t read and not reply. It sounds like the theatre will be able to accommodate you, so do follow it up. I hope you enjoy the show OP - it was a lovely gift from your partner and I’m sure he did not mean it to cause you distress x

Edited by JediMaster, 28 January 2019 - 10:56 PM.

#22 Soontobegran

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:40 PM

Hi there, congrats on your weight loss.....you are terrific.

Just a comment about the seating.......I recently went to a show there  and since you know my size it will make it easier for you to picture. I was wedged into the seat and my knees were touching the seat in front......very uncomfortable.

I would take them up on the bariatric seats if they have them. I think anyone over size 16 and 170cms need them there to be honest..

I do hope you enjoy, what a great present.

#23 Fresh Start

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:14 AM

View PostNot Escapin Xmas, on 23 January 2019 - 08:28 PM, said:

No useful advice from me either, but if you like podcasts, check out Fitbet. It started as two guys (both Australian comedians) who were both about 125kg each. They had a bet, first to get under 100kgs got $1000 from the other person. And then they started recording a podcast. It's been going about a year. They interview other people on the same journey, talk about their own struggles, especially the mental side. Really interesting :)

Can absolutely recommend this podcast. I am not losing weight but find the changes they have made across their lives post bet are as important (maybe more) as the weight loss.

Lately Dil talks a lot about taking the focus off the numbers and focusing on the changes to his body (strength and size) so that a week with no loss (or a gain) is not as demoralising.

Ben will probably be more relatable for you as he has young kids and he talks a lot about working around the family routine but also about how the changes he has made have impacted (and improved) family life. Dil is a single guy who doesn’t ever cook for himself so maybe he’ll be less relatable.

I knew both from another podcast so have been on their journey (and I hate that word) from the start and it’s been amazing.

Good luck OP. I can’t imagine spending that long in the
Princess Theatre and I’m 168cm tall and around a size 14 the seats are uncomfortable for everyone. I hope you love the show.

Edited by Fresh Start, 29 January 2019 - 12:15 AM.

#24 Caribou

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:42 AM

Ok, I was at the princess theatre last week for the same show. !

Funnily enough you would not believe this  I was in row E, seat 6, in the stalls!

I’m going to say this, you will be fine. There were a lot of plus sized people there, particularly behind me. They had no issues. I would have put them at size 24-26 as well.

Yea, the seats are uncomfortable. I made the mistake of not getting up to move during interval of the first show. I cramped up bad in second half of first show.

So second show, I stood on the steps, right until they announced it was time to sit. And as soon as the interval started got up and stood up for the whole 15 mins. That really helped not cramp up again.

I honestly think you will not have a problem. Even with your size. Only with the seats being uncomfortable if you don’t move out of them during interval. A lot of people left their seats during the break, So don’t worry if you need to as well.

Again, you weren’t the only one there who was plus sized. The others from what I saw were fine too.

Enjoy the show!! It was... -wow-!!

#25 newmumandexcited

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:44 PM

Oh hun, you’re doing amazingly. That’s so great - every gram counts!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.