4th birthday party

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Maree83

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:17 PM

Hi guys, my eldest daughter will be turning 4yo in early March and keeps saying that she wants her friends at childcare to come.
I know it is a while away, but I am a planner by nature and would like some ideas and guidance if you think you can help!
I have only this far had family parties for my girls so this is a bit new to me.  
Do I have to invite the whole class? On one hand,  that sounds incredibly stressful to me but I would hate to think anyone would feel left out if you know what I mean?
The invites would go in the children's lockers at childcare but kids talk and I keep thinking about any child that might feel sad at not being invited!
I would like to have it at home in a way,  as I do like hosting events in our own environment but honestly don't think it is a feasible option,  we have a dog who is a bit old and grumpy, plus don't think we have the room realistically.
I was thinking of finding a nice park and go from there. I don't want to deny my daughter her party as she is on the shyish side so I thought it was quite sweet that she asked.
What games would you organize,  food etc? I don't want the day to be too stressful.

Also, I am pretty sure it won't happen but what if people don't show for her party? She is quite a sensitive soul and would be terribly upset.  I spoke to her teacher who said that she has no "special little friends yet" but will join in with others etc.
She lacks a little bit of confidence  (not sure why), is fine with family etc. It would break my heart if no one came.

#2 Grrrumbles

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:26 PM

I would do a park so that you can cater for parents and siblings as well. One with toilet facilities near by is ideal but not essential.

If you do not know many of the parents or other children you may find that not all accept. I find acceptances for child care age children are lower than for school aged children where the children tell their parents they want to go.

Make sure you ask to RSVP with total numbers attending to give an idea for food but you don’t need anything fancy. Popcorn, fairy bread, rice crackers etc is fine if you have a cake as the main event. Bring lots of water.

Games are not essential at that stage. You could have a lolly hunt or bring some bubble wands.

#3 Future-self

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:28 PM

YOu don;t have to invite the wholw class but I would - you will be lucky to get a 50% acceptance rate. People have other things on; older siblings have commitments, some people don;t prioritise child care parties and some invites will get lost :)

A park with a great playground is a nice way to keep it simple and they play in the playground, then do a pinata, a tug of war, do cake, more playing in teh playground and you are done. Oh and party bags are a big thing for that age so do party bags!

#4 Flutters

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:40 PM

We hired out a hall which does a modified gymnastics program for toddlers and it was great! The bonus was you didn’t have to pay per head, it was just a flat rate so it didn’t matter if people didn’t rsvp. My daughter had very firm friends at childcare so we just invited those 6 kids. I wasn’t going to invite all of the kids from the two days she goes. at 4 she was old enough to know who she wanted to play with, and that way it wasn’t too overwhelming with heaps of kids there. We also had some family friends there too which added to the numbers. We didn’t do games at that age, the kids got distracted too easily

#5 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:58 PM

I invited all the boys which was about 13 in total to Ds's 5th birthday. No one was put out as DS doesn't play much either the girls in his kindy class.
At age 4 and 5 I don't think the kids are really aware of not being invited. They usually do a fake cake cut and sing to birthday kids and most handed out a treat or something small to all the kids in class at the end of the session.
DS was actually invited to a kindy girls party which was at a park. They hired a fairy entertainer who played music (she had a battery boom box), played simple games, face painted etc. Even the boys got into it as she was so fun. She was there for 1 and half hours and that allowed the parents time to set up food, give out drinks, talk to parents. She left after the cake was cut and then the kids played on the playground.

#6 José

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:08 PM

the children are unlikely to be able to read, for them the invite will be just another note going home to parent.i wouldn't worry about kids feeling left out.
also, if your child goes to day care multiple days there is likely to be variations of kids each day. so, do you invite the whole monday class? the whole thursday class? every kid who attends the centre in any day?
as others have said dont expect 100% attendance, for a variety if reasons.
low key at the park sounds fine.
as a pp said parties are more of a thing in FYOS.

#7 gracie1978

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:16 PM

Are least just wants one class, my son wanted the toddler and the preschool room...

About 25% of them turned up.
It was nice meeting the parents.
We just had a chaotic event at home.

#8 laridae

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:38 PM

Don't invite the whole class, unless she only goes one day that could end up with quite a lot. My DD2 goes 3 days and we invited everyone that goes 3 days with her, most of the kids that go 2 days with her and a few that go one day if she said she wanted them there. That was over 25 kids. Only about 8 actually came, which is a nice number. Too many can be a bit overwhelming.
We hired a hall as it was in winter and likely to rain (it did), but a park is a great option for summer. I disagree with a PP saying toilets are not necessary, they definitely are. A fenced playground and shelters are handy too!
We did a piñata and pin the tail on the unicorn. It was a unicorn themed party. I also had a ring toss game but didn't end up using it due to the rain. Most kids also like pass the parcel (with a little help). I don't think I'd do anything more complicated for that age group.
Themes are good. DD2 with a unicorn theme got given quite a few unicorn things (books, toys etc) which goes well in her unicorn themed bedroom.

#9 ali-song

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

What we’ve always done is to ask the educators for a list of the kids DD plays with most (we generally specify how many we want on the list, too). At that age, it doesn’t seem to be a big deal if everyone doesn’t get invited. I’ve never known either DD to be even aware that they missed out on a party.

#10 Fizgig

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:00 PM

We just had DD's 4th birthday. She chose all the people invited. We invited six kids from daycare and some family friends the same age. Three of the six couldn't come and one was sick on the day so only two out of the six there in the end. We went to a water playground, had sausages in buns, fairy bread, popcorn, fruit and birthday cupcakes. Easy peasy and no entertaining to do as the kids all just played. She proclaimed it the best birthday ever!

#11 Popper

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:48 PM

I recommend doing it at home as a casual morning tea. Invite the whole class, expect low RSVP rate, which won't matter if it is not a formal lunch/activity.

#12 StartledFlamingo

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:42 PM

I just ask friends. 6-8 kids is plenty at a party.

I don't think games work at that age. They'll be running around having fun, why herd them together and make them line up in order to lose a game? Have a couple of balls, maybe some bubbles.

Water, watermelon, fairy bread, dip and biscuits for the parents, a coffee run for the parents if you pick a park by a cafe. Nominate an end time - 2 hours is plenty for that age- and keep schedule with the cake at the end and a small gift/ lolly bag to send people on their way.

Best not to have it on a long weekend,if you can help it, it cuts down who can come (DS's birthday is usually on a long weekend so we do it the next weekend).

#13 Megustas

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:50 PM

My DD 4th birthday is a week away. We have a few parties under our belt from older brother so are doing a park with playground & toilets. We have invited 2 family friends girls & 8 kids from daycare. 9.30am start, food mega simple, fruit (mostly watermelon), popcorn, chips, maybe some biccies or fruit buns & some ham & cheese sambo's or bakery roll - and the cake of course.
4 is too young for games in my view. I am taking some unicorn/fairy/mermaid type designs for colouring if they get sick of playing. Craft beads would be another option.

#14 Jennifaraway

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:19 PM

We were just at a 4th birthday yesterday at a play centre place (climbing, trampolines, etc), which is obviously more expensive but the kids like it. The mum asked her son who he played with and just invited them.

We had DS6's 4th birthday at Gymbaroo (where he went for classes already) - just using the play equipment, we brought some food and a cake. That worked really well. But we had some daycare friends and also mothers group/playgroup friends from his little sister (we mostly had siblings of similar ages). So quite a few kids. DS is very social!

We had his 5th birthday at home ... it rained! The only year it's rained on his birthday weekend so far. It was crowded inside but the kids enjoyed it - food, toys (we packed away any we didn't want played with), pass the parcel and cake. We had quite a few kids because again playgroup friends, some other friends of mine with kids, and daycare friends.

I like home parties because then you don't have to transport food and party bags and the cake, or bring presents home without losing them. We have a trampoline and we put out balls and a little tent and some colouring in things. And food of course! As you can probably tell we've held a few parties :D

#15 Goldenash

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:48 PM

At four my daughter chose and I added a couple of names that I had heard her mention. We had about 13 girls at our place (but we have the space). We played a couple of games, food, cake done. 2 hour time limit. I think the acceptance rate is better for smaller parties. If you want the whole class definitely have it in a Park/play centre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.